Chapter 40: What's Not to Like?

Welcome to Touchstone
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

After their meeting in the morning, Yiseul doesn’t run into Hanbin again.

She did remind herself to consider that it is only 5 PM and he still has plenty of time to reappear. Maybe then he would clarify what he meant by ‘it’s going to be exciting’. This morning, he didn’t care to explain further. Instead, he merely excused himself to hurry to classes after. 

“Yiseul, is Hanbin pulling a mean prank on you?” 

Before she manages to unlock the door to her room, she looks beside her to see Mino. So, it has begun to spread. She’ll continue to say it as it continues to surprise her– news really do travel fast. 

“He says he isn’t,” she responds. 

“I’m going to go ask him myself,” Mino says before walking off. 

Once he does leave, Seunghoon is revealed to be behind him. He’s leaning against the doorway of her room with his arms folded against his chest.

“Hanbin’s last girlfriend was a year ago and he hasn’t talked about liking anybody since.”

“I see,” she responds while wondering why he’s revealing that tidbit. 

“I see?”

“Is that a big deal?” 

“Uh– yeah,” he says with a nod. “He hasn’t ever even hinted that he was interested in you.”

“Seunghoon, why don’t you go ask him?” She didn’t know what to do with this information that he’s offering her. “I don’t have any answers for you.”

Their conversation is cut short when Seunghoon flinches and twists aside. Yiseul looks to see who he’s dodging.

“Hayi, can’t you make some noise?” Seunghoon blurts. 

Hayi simply walks around them and continues on her way towards the elevators. 

“No response?” he mumbles. 

“She said you were in her way,” Yiseul answers as she finishes unlocking her door and stepping inside. “Well, see you later.”

Mino comes back around when Yiseul’s door closes behind her and meets Seunghoon’s eyes. “Where’s Hanbin?”

The boy sighs, “There’s no way he’s sitting around to let you find him.”

Jinwoo also joins them at the same time. “He must have already thought ahead and hid.”

“What’s it to you anyway?” Seunghoon casually asks Mino.

“Yiseul doesn’t always mind her company. So, I’m giving her a hand,” he responds before heeding the volume of his voice. “By the way, I haven’t seen that friend of Yiseul’s around lately.”

“Dorm head probably doesn’t have time to see her,” Jinwoo assumes.

“Good; it’s better that way.”

Jinwoo nods in agreement with Mino. “I get the same feeling.”

Seunghoon stares at the two in confusion. He hates to admit it, but they’ve lost him.

***

“Yiseul, it’s Friday.”

At her room’s doorway, Yiseul sighs as she looks back at six pairs of eyes. Six pairs of eyes that are shining bright with excitement.

“Why don’t we–,”

Before they could hear her suggestion or even give her a chance to finish her words, they have already pushed their way inside to help her get dress. She should have known that it’s hard to change the minds of her stubborn residents. 

“There are lots of things to talk about tonight and what better way than to talk over some food and drinks,” Jennie says. 

***

This time, it’s no bar. Yiseul can breathe easy with the new change of scenery. 

This time, the small group of girls are relocating to a new hangout spot. Remembering Jennie’s words that it’s a popular late-night shop for ‘young people’ it would make sense as to why Yiseul only sees college students. 

Once ordering some dishes and bottles, the group starts talking about random topics to pass the time. Once the food arrives and the drinks start pouring, their conversations take a turn. 

Lisa places her glass on the table and leans her face into her hands. “In class today, they showed us videos of people who are against vaccines and I have never been more frustrated.”

“Natural selection,” Jisoo says before downing another shot of soju. 

The dark humor somehow brings smiles to the faces sitting at the table. 

“I would love to tell the parents that,” Lisa remarks.

“Parents?” Jisoo repeats quietly.

The single word gets the rest of the table to look in her direction. Puzzled by the reaction, Yiseul looks from one face to another to get some sort of hint. When her eyes land on Jisoo, she notices the girl still staring down at her empty glass, but now with tears welling up in her eyes.

“I haven’t spoken to my parents in a while,” Jisoo says. “I miss them.”

“How about some food, Jisoo?” Jennie asks, trying her best to change the topic. 

“When Jisoo is drunk, she tends to cry over the mention of parents,” Hayi leans closer to Yiseul to explain. “I’ve seen it many times back at the dorms.”

“They never told me that being a lawyer would be so hard!” Jisoo’s voice raises and she reaches for another shot. 

“I’ve also seen her cry over singing videos as well,” Hayi adds softly.

“Singing video

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter