Chapter 30: Not a Stone-Cold Heart After All

Welcome to Touchstone
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

There’s a certain awkward feeling lingering in the air. Everyone but Yiseul notices it. So, they send in their tenth choice. 

Hearing approaching footsteps, Yiseul looks towards the doorway while continuing her task. Hanbin peeks in and she assumes he’s here for someone else.

“It’s just me down here,” she says.

“Good– I was looking for you,” he answers with a smile before something else becomes the focus of his attention. “You shouldn’t put whites with colors… I thought that was a known fact.”

Not heeding his advice, she tosses in the last of her laundry and shuts the washer. “I know.”

“You’re still going to do it?” Hanbin asks with a chuckle.

“I’ve done it lots of times.” After pouring in the detergent and starting the machine, she asks, “Why are you looking for me?”

He leans against the doorway. “To see if you’re bummed out.”

“About what?”

“About last night.”

“Not particularly,” she answers while organizing her basket and bottles.

“Then, I guess everyone else will be relieved to know.”

“Everyone?”

“Your residents were concerned.”

“Concerned about?”

Hanbin observes her expression and he realizes then–, “Did that not cross your mind? That your residents could be concerned about you?”

Yiseul gives it some thought. “I guess it could be possible.”

“You’re an interesting character, Yiseul.”

***

Preparing to dry her clothes, Yiseul stops in her tracks immediately after she pulls out the first item of clothing.

Pink.

She observes the unfamiliar clothing a little more and starts questioning if it belonged to her. Peeking inside, she finds more pink among the load. And, she realizes. There is no mistake. It definitely did belong to her. All that has changed is that her lighter colored clothes have become some shade of red.

In the distance, she could almost hear Hanbin’s snort.             

***

“Jinhwan!” 

He looks over his shoulder to see Yiseul rushing towards him, the snow couldn’t seem to slow her down. Not even the fact that it’s Monday morning.

Once before him, she comes to a stop while ignoring her own panting. “Did your exam results come back?” She looks up at him, seemingly unnoticing of the blanket of snow that is covering her dark hair. 

“Some.”

“How did you do?”

“I did fine.”

“That’s great. Were you able to ask for more hours?” This time, her teeth are chattering from the cold but, she still manages to drag out this encounter.

He looks away from her for a moment to see how close the buildings are before returning his attention back Yiseul. “Let’s get inside first.”

Jinhwan leads Yiseul into the building his first class is held in. He watches her brush off her hair and try to warm up her bare fingers. Her eyes still on him. Is she really just waiting for his answer?

“Yes, I did.”

“Oh, good. Well, I’ll let you get to class.”

And, his question was answered. With that, he watches her hurry away. 

***

“Yiseul, that’s a strange design your shirt has.”

“I washed my new red top with the rest of my clothes,” Yiseul responds as Jennie settles in the seat across from her in the cafeteria.

Jennie lets out a sound of understanding before smiling as she looks at the white top with splotches of pink on it.

“Yiseul, I have something I need to say.”

She finishes the last of her sandwich as she looks up at Jennie.

“I want to apologize.”

“For what?” Yiseul wonders.

“When we went out.”

“But, he looked at you funny.”

Jennie couldn’t stop the chuckle that sneaks out of her lips. “No, for being nosy and stepping into something that wasn’t my business. I might have made it worse for you.”

She remains quiet but, doesn’t take her eyes off of Jennie. “Why are you sorry? I know what your intentions were.” Jennie only meant to stand up for her. It was a situation that wouldn’t turn out well even if Jennie wasn’t involved. 

“Who was that?”

“I didn’t remember her name until last night,” Yiseul reveals. “When I was living with Mina, we were all hallmates.”

“Was the whole group your old hallmates?”

“I think so.” Yiseul nods. 

“Why aren’t you close to them?” Jennie suddenly becomes aware at her own reaction. “Sorry, I don’t mean to bombard you with so many questions. It just seems… like I don’t know anything about you.”

“Many people feel that way,” she answers pleasantly, not particularly upset at the realization. “To answer your question, I never hung out with them while I was living in that dorm.”

“Did you only hang out with Mina?”

Yiseul nods.

“But, she appears close to them. Or did she only get closer after you left?”

“No, Mina is great at making friends.”

“How could they be so mad at you?” Thinking about it ends up making Jennie angry again.

“I think there’s a misunderstanding,” Yiseul reasons. She didn’t quite know how Minyoung was getting her information. Minyoung didn’t know her and for her to feel so strongly about it, confuses Yiseul. 

“How do you feel, Yiseul?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter