Chapter 3: A Taste of What is to Come

Welcome to Touchstone
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Hanbin leaned against the counter that ran along one side of the wing’s kitchen. 

The area right beside it held rows of personal lockers that each student can use to hide their snacks and whatnot – the same area Bobby and Junhoe were trying to organize at the current point in time. The task which would have taken anyone five minutes is getting closer to twenty. Only those two were capable of such a feat.

The boredom definitely would have gotten to him but crossing his arms upon his chest, the thought of Yiseul pops into his mind. 

And, he’s once more entertained.

Did she give up looking for him?

“What are you up to?”

Hanbin looks up to see Jennie and smiles at the insinuating question. He points down at the two now arguing about whose ramen pack was left. It probably belonged to Bobby but Junhoe wouldn’t hesitate to talk Bobby into giving it to him.

God forbid the kid to go buy his own. 

“I asked about you,” she turns away from him for a moment to look through her snacks. 

“Why do you think I’m up to something?”

“Because you’re not doing anything.” To Jennie, that was enough grounds for wariness. She grabs a bag of chips before locking her stock back up again. It’s something she needed to make sure to do around these fools. “So, what is it?”

He shrugs, “I’m just waiting.”

She narrows her eyes. “Don’t you feel bad for giving her a hard time already? It’s only been like six hours since we’ve moved in.” 
    
“It’s just a welcome, Jennie,” Junhoe takes a break from his bartering to reason while ignoring the fact whether it made sense or not.

“I hope she gives you a taste of your own medicine.”

“I don’t think that would be happening,” Hanbin replies with a tilt of his head. Since the prank, he hasn’t seen her.  

“You’ve seen the previous dorm heads, Jennie,” Junhoe reminds her. “They’ll get angry, whine, complain, and then quit.” The new one is probably already discouraged so the cycle should begin soon. 

“Well, the pranks are annoying.”

“You know it wasn’t just the pranks alone and to correct what you just said – they’re fun.”

The childishness of the group is astounding. So terribly astounding that Jennie was at a loss for words. Shooting them a look, she ends up leaving. At this point, her words will enter one ear and exit the other.

From where Hanbin stood, his eyes flickered up to see someone passing by the doorway while Jennie left.

“Oh – Lee Hayi is still here?” Bobby wonders in surprise. “I thought she would have been sick of us by now.” Unlike the rowdy bunch that they were, Hayi rarely spoke a word. Or at least, not anything loud enough that they would hear. 

“Is she still talking to herself?” Junhoe mutters quietly before Bobby reaches out to smack his arm. Gaping, Junhoe hits him back and soon the two continues to exchange playful blows back and forth. 

Hanbin watches them, without moving a single muscle. “No wonder they call you guys immature.”

“They call you that too.”

Staring at Junhoe, Hanbin nods. “That’s right – it does take one to know one,” he answers with a chuckle. 

The three were lost in their own worlds but that soon comes to a stop with the arrival of a certain someone. Hanbin’s startled reaction soon becomes him trying to hide his smile and his heart jumping with excitement. Junhoe and Bobby notice his expression and attempt to seek out the source of causation. 

Yiseul stood at the doorway, arms full with her own snacks to stock her locker and with cheeks still red from the previous exploration of the winter wonderland right outside the dorms. 

Her eyes land on Hanbin, “found you.”

“You found me,” he responds, still enjoying every bit of it. 

She walks up to him and places her palm up, “if you’re done with your fun, can I have my ID back?”

Hanbin remained there with his arms crossed upon his chest. “I don’t have it.”

“…Did you lose it?” 

“I gave it back.”

Her brows furrow, was she missing something? “You gave it back?”

He nods innocently, “you didn’t see it?”

She shakes her head. 

With arms, still full of her snacks that she has yet to stock, she stared up at the ceiling above her dorm room. Hanbin remained right beside her, admiring his own wonderful work.

There the ID was. Taped right on the ceiling. 

“How did you do that?”

“I jumped,” he responds while Yiseul tries to discern how that was possible.

“That high?”

“Yeah.”

He looks down at her. He was fully expecting a bigger reaction. But, it was the same look he had seen on her outside of the front entrance.

Where was it? The explosion of anger? The threats? Something should be coming. 

“Is this another one of your welcomes?” She turns to meet his eyes.

“Huh?”

“Okay, well, thank you,” she adds. “But, can you take it down now?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter