Chapter 32: Feelings Change and Grow

Welcome to Touchstone
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Hey dorm head, do you know what Jinhwan is up to?” Seungyoon asks.

Standing at the entrance of the dorm building, Yiseul runs into the boy. The sight makes him do a double-take and he quickly forgets his previous question. “Why are you all bundled up? You don’t usually have classes this late,” he comments while taking a look at the time on his watch. 

He’s surprised he even knows that. 

“I don’t. I’m missing my keys.”

“Do you think you dropped it out there?” With all that snow, it’s unlikely she’ll find it easily. 

“Quite possibly.” And, unfortunately, along with her ID.

“So, your room is unlocked and left unattended… Junhoe is not going to let this chance go.”

“I’ve already taken care of it,” she answers with a small smile. 

***

“What do you think you’re doing?” Mino grabs onto Junhoe’s collar and tugs the boy back out into the hallway. 

“Oh, come on!” Junhoe groans. “Don’t mess this up for me.”

Mino nods in understanding. “Want me to mess you up for stealing my granola–,”

“Are you seriously still pissed off about that? Let it go.” 

***

“What are you doing, Jinhwan?” 

Taking a break, he looks up to see Yiseul coming his way. 

Sighing, Jinhwan returns to his searching. “What are you doing out here?”

“I think I dropped my keys and ID here last night,” she answers. 

Coming to an understanding that they were both looking for their things, they end up leaving each other alone as they go through the snow that is only getting higher from the snowfall. They ran quite a distance last night, it would hard to retrace their steps. But, to Yiseul’s luck, she finds her missing belongings just before her fingers could go completely numb. 

Turning back, she eyes Jinhwan in just his leather jacket. How he keeps warm in that is beyond her. 

Jinhwan stiffens when he feels something wrap around his neck. Shifting his attention downward, he finds the yellow scarf dangling and straightens up. 

“It’s yours, why do you keep giving it away?” Jinhwan says unhappily. 

“I have a coat and hat,” Yiseul merely says. 

He immediately catches the sight of her keys and card in her hand. “You already found your stuff.”

“Yeah, I did.”

“Then, what are you doing?”

“Just helping.”

“Why?” It’s bitter out. Who would want to stay a second longer out here. 

“Because no one else will.”

Jinhwan didn’t think that deserved a response. 

She looks up at him, unbothered. “It’s for that reason that we should help each other.”

He drops his head back in exasperation. He mumbles various things underneath his breath before giving up. If she wants to freeze to death out here then, who is he to stop her?

Just then, she remembers. “What are you looking for exactly?”

“A keychain.”

They cover different grounds and as they start to lose feeling in their limbs, they’re both close to calling it a day. But, one more step and Yiseul notices something underneath her boot. Stepping aside, she picks up something green. 

A turtle. 

And, definitely a key chain. 

But, it couldn’t possibly belong–,

It’s quickly stolen from her hand and she looks to the side to see the thief only to be Jinhwan. 

“What are you looking at?” he snaps.

“It’s cute,” she easily compliments.

"Take your scarf back," he orders.

***

“Yiseul!”

She turns as Mina hurries to catch up to her. They quickly enter the cafeteria to escape the cold and Mina breathes out in relief. 

She starts slipping off the red gloves that once belonged to Yiseul and takes notice of the new yellow scarf a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter