Chapter 9: Adaption is a Quality

Welcome to Touchstone
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Looking forward to the weekend just may be a mistake as it remains far from being relaxing in any way or manner. As evidenced by what exactly woke her up this very morning.  

“Seungyoon! It’s too early!”

Opening her eyes, through the rampant shouts and complaints out in the hall, she could hear the soft strumming of a guitar. She tilts her head slightly to find her phone to check for the time.

10 AM. 

This was late for her. 

Sitting up in bed, her eyes land on the pile of silver in the corner of her room. She had neatly cleaned up the three pranksters’ act but now, she doesn’t know what to do with it. Her growling stomach draws her back from her thoughts and she jumps out of bed to prepare for the morning. 

***

Walking into the kitchen, Yiseul comes across a resident at the counter who was working on preparing some hot tea from a small pot. She heads over once she grabs her cereal box and stands beside the girl to pour herself a bowl. 

It’s Hayi.

“Good morning,” Yiseul greets warmly. 

Well, as warmly as she could. She was always told that her words and expressions lacked obvious emotion. 

Hayi doesn’t look in her direction but with careful observation, Yiseul notices the smallest of movements coming from Hayi’s lips. Did she greet back? Yiseul falls silent as she isn’t sure whether to ask for the girl to repeat or to just move on. 

And, she decides to take it and move on. “How have classes been for you?” 

“You’re up early, Yiseul!”

Yiseul jolts, surprised by the unexpected cheery voice. She looks at Hayi, hoping to observe another response to her previous question before the interruption when the girl simply walks away with her tea cup in her hands instead. 

“Wait–,”

“What are your plans today?” Rosé bounces over and leans up against the counter, unaware of Yiseul’s attempt to get speak to Hayi, 

Yiseul didn’t blame her. From an outsider’s point of view, it may seem like she was having a conversation with herself. Forced to drop her attempt to speak to Hayi for now, Yiseul offers her attention to the girl in front of her. “No plans yet.”

“How about we watch something together?” she suggests.

“Don’t fall for it, Yiseul.” Jennie appears in the doorway leading into the kitchen.

Rosé whines. “Maybe Yiseul does like horror movies. You didn’t even let me try.”

“Do you, Yiseul?” Jennie’s eyebrow quirked. 

“I don’t really watch movies–,”

Rosé groans loudly and while Jennie smiles in triumph. 

“Good try, Rosé,” Jennie comments. 

“I can’t watch them alone!” 

“But, you like watching them?” Yiseul asks as she didn’t see the appeal if Rosé is too scared to watch it by herself. 

Rosé spins in her direction with eyes wide. “I love them.”

Jennie suddenly moves aside when someone brushes past her to get through the doorway. He took a few steps in before whipping back around to leave before Yiseul and Rosé noticed. But, it’s too late. 

“Hey, Yunhyeong!” Rosé calls out with the same amount of energy that took Yiseul by surprise. 

Jennie smiles slyly at Yunhyeong as he is forced to turn around after failing in his bid to escape. “H-hey… Rosé,” he says sheepishly. His hand instinctively reaches up to scratch the back of his neck. 

She dashes forward and hooks her arm through his without hesitation. “Are you doing anything?”

“No, not r-really,” he forces the words out.

“Good. Won’t you watch this scary movie with me? Only you like them and I’ve already asked Yiseul.”

“Well– I mean– I guess I could,” he stumbles over his words. Before he could say anything else, Rosé drags him out of the kitchen. 

Jennie peeks into the hallway to make sure they’re out of earshot. “He hates those movies,” she reveals with a chuckle. But, Yunhyeong will never tell Rosé. 

The next few minutes in the kitchen, Jennie keeps Yiseul company while she has her breakfast. Random topics are mentioned to get to know each other and… Mina came up.

“So, you two were roommates?”

Yiseul pauses in her chewing for a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter