Palace Gossip

The World They Create Together

People thought that the palace will never change. So what if the royal family now had a new daughter-in-law to the King? This one new member will not make much a difference to the palace life. But they were wrong, for in just a day after her wedding, the new member of the royal family, Lady Hae Soo, the wife of the 4th Prince Wang So was already making waves through the palace's still waters. But no one could really do anything about her actions, as in essence her actions were not a crime.

But the maids could not help but gossip. People thought they were invisible, thus did not pay attention to them, which means that they witnessed a lot. As there were people, they shared tales with their fellow servants and maids, thus they had perhaps the best information network. The tales of Lady Hae Soo were also spreading through this method. Silently in a way that it had not caught the attention of the court officials or the royal family. The tales of Lady Hae Soo began from her wedding day and from that day on the peculiarities about the lady were noted and spread.

She was behaving just like a bride on the morning of her wedding day, till after she was dressed in her hanbok but before her hair was going to set. The bride, Lady Soo, had insisted on doing her own makeup, and what skills she had. Her skills with makeup were perhaps one of the best they had witnessed, better than most court ladies of Damiwon. This was just a simple thing, and the maids who witnessed it forgot all about it, as they were in a rush to finish the preparations on time.

But the Damiwon maids remembered her skills when after her wedding ceremony, Lady Hae Soo was changing to a new hanbok, before she will officially enter her husband's household. For right after her bath before her wedding night, Lady Soo dressed up in her hanbok on her own, then while her hair was drying, she had got all the makeup supplies in Damiwon in front of her. Then once again she started to do her own makeup. Fast but with delicate skill that her already fair skin looked even more healthy and she painted her lips to such a luxurious shade of pink that shined on her face. A royal family member that did their own makeup and dressed on her own was surely a peculiar sight to the court ladies who usually tended to those tasks.

Damiwon court ladies were also human, if they found something interesting, they will watch. When some of the young palace maiden were heading towards Damiwon, they witnessed an interesting sight. A couple was being intimate in broad daylight, embracing each other and maybe even kissing. When they noticed who they were they were even more surprised. That was the newly married 4th prince and his wife.

Luckily for the maids who knew all about the infamous temper of the 4th prince, no one had noticed them hiding behind the pillars. After the couple separated from their embrace, silently with smiling on their faces, they had hold each other's hands, and exit the Damiwon Palace towards the gardens through which the 4th private compound was situated.

Though the palace servants could never get anything out of the 4th prince's personal servants, they also knew that Lady Soo's wedding night was different than the other royals. For her husband, the 4th prince, had given her meaningful gifts and apparently had arranged for a very special meal together.

Before they realized the sun had risen and the first morning after the wedding ceremony had begun, as the light snow had stop falling, leaving behind a few places on the grounds white with snow. The servants from the Hae clan were the ones that told the following tales.

On the first day, the maids did not want to make any mistakes so they made sure everything was ready beforehand then head to their mistress' chambers to help her dress for the day. But they could not find her in her private chambers. Figuring that since the married couple shared a room last night, the Hae servants made their way to the chambers across the hallway to the 4th Prince's bedchamber. There in front of the prince's chambers, Hae servants of five met some of the servants of the 4th prince, who also seemed to be looking for their master who was not in his chambers. When informed that their mistress was also not in her rooms, the servants thought that maybe the couple had went for a walk together and had just went out in simple hanbok. The servants already knew that both the Prince and his wife love to take a leisurely stroll through the gardens. Therefore, the two groups of servants split up and went to do other tasks till their master and mistress returns.

The Hae servants went to put away the items they held in their hands to what they called 'makeup room' where many of the wardrobe of both the prince and his wife was put away on opposite wall, including the accessories. However, when the maids entered the makeup room on the other side of the residence, they found the missing royal couple. In the makeup room, as the Hae servants saw the moment they entered.

The 4th prince was sitting on the chair, facing the large mirror to the side of the room. His hair was unbound but he was already dressed in an hanbok. A silver and black one, and on his face was a black mask that covered his nose. His wife was also right there.

Lady Soo was massaging her husband's hair with oil while talking to him about herbs. Herbs and plants that she needs to get and that she will go looking for today. The 4th prince simply said to her to not injure herself, take at least two maids with you to help you carry the stuff, and keep him notified of what happens. As the prince's wife, now a royal, pulls her husband's hair back up in sangtu then put on his donggot, the Hae servants finally snaps out of their shock.

"Lady Hae," the oldest servant out of the five calls out, as their Lady Hae turns her head to look at the entrance of the room to her side, where her personal servants were gathered.

"Oh, you are here." that was all Lady Hae said before going back to her husband's hair, well now she had turned around and was adjusting her husband's front bangs and his mask.

"Lady Soo, we will help you get ready. The prince's servants will be here soon to help him finish." the oldest servant by the name Jin Mi said. She had been told that this lady was peculiar, but to actually do a servant's job, even if it was to her husband. She was afraid that the prince will be too shocked to react right now but eventually this kind of thing could lead back to harm the Hae clan.

"Oh, Jin Mi-ya. Don't worry, I'm already dressed enough, I'm doing mostly errands today. Besides, I can do things well by myself. Though not my hair." That was what Lady Soo said before turning to the Prince who had stayed silent till now, "Your Highness, what are you doing today?"

"Just meeting with some of the nobles, then tea with my brothers. I will make sure no one visits today." 4th prince was still sitting on the chair in front of the mirror. "Just make sure to send me notices if you are going to go somewhere."

"Yes, I will do so. But could you do me a favour?" Lady Soo now turned to look straight into her husband's eyes, completely forgetting about the servants in the room with her. "Please inform His Majesty that I will visit him for tea tomorrow, and you can going with me."

"That kind of small of a thing is not a favour." Like getting an audience with a King was an easy thing. Then the 4th prince stood up from his chair then he leans forward into his wife's face before continuing, "then, my buin, I'm going." With that the 4th prince goes out of the door, just giving a nod to the servants. Once the servants were sure that the prince was gone, they approach their mistress who now had taken a seat in the chair that the prince had vacant.

"All of you it's alright to relax, the prince does not bite. Now, could you make a braided bun for me but a bit higher up so my hair does not touch my neck."

"Soo-buin, what about your clothes," as the servants saw that the lady was only wearing a plain pink skirt on top of a light blue top with a dark blue ribbon tied around her waist. For certain, not the clothes fitting of a prince's wife.

"Oh, I forgot," then the Lady turns to her personal servants before saying, "could you let everyone in the house know that in the morning, if we are not in our chambers, that we will likely be here in this room. We will get dressed ourselves unless there is a special occasion, so please take out our clothes and place it out on the small bed there. I will call you guys when I need help. Your Highness prefers fast and efficient when he is getting dressed, and I am the fastest if I say so." What could mere servants say to a royal, but they were worried about how this strangeness of Lady Hae Soo will reflect on the Hae clan who they were all indebted to in someway.

This routine had stayed the same till now. The 4th prince and his wife getting dressed together, then Lady Hae setting his hair before the prince leaves, and then the servants will enter the room to prepare the Lady's hair.

Another one was what the maids referred to as the journey for tea. It was on that first morning that it happened. After eating her breakfast, Lady Soo took Chae Ryung with one Hae servant, Hye Won, and one of the prince's servant, Hye Mi, out on errands. After telling them to dress plainly. The following is what Hye Won told her fellow Hae servants later that evening.

Lady Hae Soo and her three maids went straight out of the palace grounds, after the Lady told the guard to inform her husband that she went to do her errands in the market. Then she went on foot to the market, her servants following behind her. Chae-ryung seemed to be used to the fast walk of her mistress but even she was asking the Lady to slow down. Lady simply said that she was not even running and that she had lots of things to buy. Eventually all of them reached the herbalist.

When the servants entered the store, they witnessed the Lady who had ran ahead of them actually bargaining with the herbalist to lower the prices as she was buying so much in bulk. Before any of the three maids could open their mouth, the herbalist had agreed and now had handed a stack of wrapped boxes tied together with a cloth to the Lady. Thanking the herbalist, the Lady then went out the herbalist.

"Well, he did not have any fresh leaf nor good wild plants, looks like we have to find it. Hye Mi-ya, I know that Your Highness taught you some martial arts, what I am not stupid, he is very protective. So could you step in front in case someone attacks? Chae ryung-ah, you are very fast so stay at the very back, so if we need it you can run for help. Hye Won-ah, I know that you have experience with plants so stay close to me." with those instructions, Lady Hae Soo once again start to walk ahead of her servants leaving them to catch up to her, eventually they were in the woods close to the market.

Now the Lady was looking at the ground in the woods and when she found something she liked, she bend down herself, and start to dig to get the plants herself, getting herself dirty in the process. Hye Won had ran to stop her mistress from getting dirty but she already was dirty and in her hands held several strands of wild plants in one hand. The Lady handed the branches over to Hye Won before she once again starts to look at the ground herself.

Chae-ryung was now right there asking her Agasshi to get up, why was she getting dirty, did she want the Prince to get angry at her, to punish them. But Lady Hae Soo simply smiled as she replied back that 4th Prince will not get angry besides these plants and leaves were for something important. Hye Won had not realized how much time had passed but it was already mid-day, when the Lady finally seemed to have found everything she needed, and got out of the woods.

At the pleading of her servants, the Lady agreed to take side-streets and the back entrance of the palace rather than walking through the main gates. This time, Hye Won was glad that the mistress was fast when she walked as they were back inside the palace, and at the main residence quickly. Hye Won clearly remembered how surprised the other servants were at their Lady's appearance, but they did not show any judgement, and quickly did what the Lady had requested.

That was to prepare her a bath, get all the herbs and wild plants to the kitchen, and store them so they remain fresh. Then she had turned to Jin Mi, and asked her to get a change of clothes for her. Then she had turned to the doctor that he could check her over when the prince arrived that to prepare to examine both the prince and her in the evening. Also she asked the male servants and slaves to go and either make a sign or find a wood that could be made into a sign at the main gate before she went inside the residence. Hye Won remembered later thinking that surely her mistress will not act this recklessly in front of her husband, the 4th prince but she will be proven wrong again.

It was close to twilight, when the 4th Prince returned to his residence. After nodding towards his servants and slaves, the prince made his way towards the courtyard of his house, where his wife apparently was. There was Lady Hae Soo now dressed in an elegant robe fitting of royalty, a white silk with multiple flower stitched on the sleeves of the top layer under a light lilac skirt with a purple belt, her hair was now in a more elaborate version of the braided bun. Only thing in her hair were a pair of lilac butterfly clips at the back of her hair. When the prince's presence was noted, everyone stood and bowed to him. After a nod of acknowledgement, the prince had walked to where his wife was in front of two wooden boards.

"You have arrived, Your Highness. I got the sign boards ready," as the servant next to the Lady handed her a brush,"here's the ink. I would like the name on one, and the poem on another." The prince silently accepted the brush and start writing silently on the boards. "Thank you, Your Highness. Please make sure to get the boards up." Then the lady reached out for her husband's hands after instructing the servants, to lead him inside to where their food was set up in his chamber and retire for the evening, once again with no servant attending to them.

In just one day, Lady Hae Soo, the wife of Goryeo's cruel and most disliked 4th prince Wang So did such strange things. First, she actually dressed her husband and did his hair like a servant. Second, asked to meet the King for a tea in such short notice, and the maids have heard that the permission was granted easily, some things that was so hard to do even for his favorite daughter Princess Yeoh Hwa. Third, like a commoner she went freely to the market and then picked out wild plants for teas in the woods and dug herself. Fourth, rather than behaving like a ladylike wife, she freely push herself into her husband, a prince's personal space and grabbing his hands and pulling him along behind her. In just one day, Lady Hae Soo did this. The servants wondered what she will do in the future, as she lives as the wife of the 4th Prince in the Goryeo Palace.