Prince of the People

The World They Create Together

The villagers at the palace gate

It was now their turn. The two nobles, Ha Jin and Joon had kept their promise to get their children back from the bandits, now they were the ones that needed to support the 4th prince. Some of the women and men were looking around the ground, hoping to spot the two nobles so they could thank them personally.

Min Gu's mother and aunt in particular want to thank the pair, but also reassure the couple. Imagine their surprise last night when they had been asked for a favor. It was after everyone had been reunited in one of the larger compounds, and everyone was thanking the four men and one woman who had went in with Joon-ssi to get their children back home safely. It was then that Ha Jin-ssi had pull Min Gu's mother and his aunt away from the crowd to a quiet corner. They could tell Ha Jin-ssi was nervous because she kept looking around. Then in whispers, she told them a secret.

One of the children that were rescued was her daughter. Her daughter with Joon but before they were married. Luckily her pregnancy had not been obvious till the very last months so she was able to have deliver safely in secret. Ha Jin had trusted her daughter to another couple until they could legally claim her as their own. Ha Jin and Joon had secretly kept visiting her so she knew her parents even if she was just two years old at the time. But a few months ago, she had disappeared and they had been searching for her eve since. They did not believe the caretakers of their daughter whom had told them that she had died. But now they had to tell their families the truth and deal with the consequences of their mistakes. All she ask was to let their daughter stay with them until they could claim her back. As soon as the rain falls, they were going to confess the truth to Joon's parents and once they have their permission, they were going to bring her home. Ha Jin had even passed along a large bag full of silver to them as a gesture of their gratitude.

Why would they refuse this request? Of a young woman who saved them, and they could see the despair and pain in her eyes as Ha Jin relates to them the sad truth, of how she had abandoned her child. Looking across, they saw the figure of her husband Joon. Who had not let go of the little girl in his arms not even for a second. His hands were constantly patting his daughter's back and seem to be guarding the girl from the very element itself as he had her wrapped up in several thick clothing. It was plain to see the love he had for his daughter.

The two women had agreed and after reluctantly accepting the bag of silver made their way with Ha Jin towards her husband. Joon upon seeing them turn towards them, and for the first time, both of his eyes were on display. Along with a horrifying scar around his eye, the reason he kept it covered. The anguish and relief in his eyes were clear as he silently hands over the sleeping child over to Min Gu's mother's arm. Then the child's parents lean down and kiss their child's cheek and forehead.

"Seol. That's her name." Ha Jin had quietly whisper to them before walking away with her husband, tears clear in both of their eyes, to meet up with the group that were now gathered at the front of tavern entrance. Then without another word, the group of their noble-born saviours simply walk away into the dark of the night.

Min Gu's father and uncle was told the truth about the child by their spouse later that night. Silently the men now understood the reason for that horrific massacre they witnessed. It was not just the rage over kidnapped children, it was revenge for taking Joon's daughter away from safety and threatening him with her death in front of his eyes. No wonder, the man was so savage in his killing. The men had no problem with hiding the child away. The two young couple had gotten their children back thus saving them from losing their children due to money. They could take care of their daughter until she was ready to be reunited with her parents.

The child had slept through the night, but had awaken that morning. The girl when she saw the ribbon on her arm had not raised a fuss. When Min Gu curiously about why this girl was in his home and whether she missed her parents, she replied back with this.

"My abeoji and eomoni is right here with me. In the moon and stars, even in the wind of Songak. They will be here soon. My abeoji always keeps his word."

Min Gu's mother who had heard this took notice of the child's refined speech beyond her years, but she soon forget that when the child with her doe-like eyes had turned to her and start to plead with her to let her attend the rain ritual that day because the child will be able to see her parents there for sure. Sadly, they could not allow that but Min Gu's mother had promised to find her parents and relate to them that she was well.

"Min Gu's omma," at her husband's voice she turns. "There is still a lot of time before the ritual starts, we will see them soon. We cannot even see the assembly in the ceremonial grounds yet." Knowing her husband was right, Min Gu's mother returns to the crowd. They had to act like they are going to go along with the main instigator in the crowd, but this time, they will support the 4th Prince. If his supporters were like Ha Jin and Joon, not to mention his own relief efforts along with his wife's, the prince deserved the people to give him a chance.

Wang So

Sitting across from each other with a table full of makeup reminded him of the past. The many times in the past, when she was a simple court lady and he was the prince with a scar. How she applied his makeup for him everyday, till he had learn how to do it himself. Even then sometimes she had done his make up for him. This was their ritual. Rather than talking out loud, their eyes were doing all the talking.

So's eyes who was simply staring at his wife. At this girl who had accepted all of him, and now here she was again once again changing his life. Though he no longer loathed his scar nor his mask, Soo was once again going to take it off of him. When she knows that the moment his scar disappears even if he did not wish to he will be into the battle for the throne, no matter how much he did not want that seat. That seat that had cost him so much. He still did not know what he had done to deserve this second chance. He was selfishly using this chance with a heart full of gratitude. But looking at Soo reminds him of another face. Another gift that he had received last night. An impossible surprise that was not possible and can only be thought as heaven's will. Such a surprise that had frozen him in the midst of a battle.

So will recognize those pair of eyes anywhere. Then when the child's eyes had sparked with recognition, and her voice had called out to him to help, his temper had snapped instantly. Directly at all those who had dared to hurt his daughter. Hurt his Seol, his snowflake. His instincts from over 50 years of fighting had taken over and his only goal had been to rescue his child from the hands of those scums. Then when he had seen more of them appear, he did what he had to do.

His first instinct had been to protect Seol from the horrors of mankind. He had took out a ribbon that he had always carried, it was identical to the ribbon that he used when he sent Seol a gift in the past life. When Seol's eyes had shone with recognition he knew. Her older soul was in her younger self. Once Seol had been safe, he had took care of those traitors personally. Only reason he had not burned them was because the fire will bring attention to the hideout, the thug leaders will be in the royal prison by now. Letting go of her once again was painful like his soul was once again being ripped, but he knew that she was at least nearby. Just right outside these palace walls, in the hands of someone that owned him a debt.

If he had brought rain once again, he will get down on his knees in front of the King so that Seol can enter this house as his daughter. His legitimate daughter. That story that Soo told the two mothers in the village will have to become the official one, but it did not matter as long as he will have all of his treasures right in front of him. As he saw that Soo now held a brush in her hands, he simply close his eyes. Once again trusting his entire being to her. To the only one who held his heart. His Soo. His one and only. His everything.

Hae Soo

Her hand once again held a brush. A brush with a concealer cream. She was once again taking off the mask from this prince in front of her. The man who had her entire heart, and she was setting him free from the burdens of his scar. She understood that this action will change everything. That without the scar, her prince will now enter the official race for the throne even if they do not want to. Even more if he brings rain. But she was selfish in a sense that she wished everyone to know just how wonderful a person her husband really is. How he did not deserve to live being subjected to such cruelty for something that was not even his fault. Besides this was a way to quickly gain the favor of the king. The favor they needed to bring her child home.

The thought of her beautiful daughter, who she had not held last night due to the fear that she will never let her go again, causes her hand to shake slightly. She feels the warm hands of her prince enclose hers as his eyes open and they are once again locking eyes. In them she reads all the emotions she is feeling. Seol was not only hers, but it was his as well. Seol was THEIRS. Their daughter and they were going to bring her home. Blinking away the tears in her eyes, she gives a small smile of reassurance to her husband. He did not release her hands till his eyes sweep over her body.

She will not have to wait long, she trust the two women to keep a watch on Seol. It did not matter how much she will be ridiculed for supposedly having a child out of wedlock, all that mattered was that Seol will be here. This time, she will be together with her parents, and soon they will have new children and they will be able to meet their elder sister.

Taking a deep breath and as her hands are released, she goes back to completing the finishing touches. With plenty of foundation and well detailed concealer so that it will hold up against the rain for longer. As she takes puts her pad down, the first sound of gong resonate through the palace. She slowly straighten herself up and her husband stands with her. He brings himself closer and closer to her face and unlike last time, she simply close her eyes and let his lips meet hers. Just before their lips touch the whisper of her husband brings a multitude of feelings to well up from inside her.

"You are the one and only mother of my children. My only wife and queen. I love you, my beloved Soo."

Wook

It was obvious that Ji Mong was stalling. Pretending to make constant mistakes with the preparations, taking so long to carry one single vase down a couple of steps. Just why everyone seem to be looking to give So a chance for acknowledgement was something that he did not get. It was a thought that the 3rd prince seemed to share with him, as rather than being silent like him, he was directly asking Ji Mong to hurry up. The attendant that had asked them to hurry and start the ritual as the time had already came and went. If the 4th prince was not going to come, let the 3rd prince go first. He will prefer not see the 4th prince for a while afterwards, not with the news that he had heard from Chae Ryung.

Though she did not know the reason Soo had apparently went out of the palace to meet with the villagers but a group of masked men had returned with many children and men. It meant that somehow So had figured out about the kidnapped children that Wook knew that some nobles had done to support him and Yo, by keeping the 4th out. If the children had returned, the leverage against many of the villagers was done. Now they only could depend on the fact that the 4th prince wore a mask as the reason to get the villagers to attack the 4th.

That is if So shows up, and by the look of it, he will not be arriving. As Yo starts to make his way towards the palanquin, as he did not want to witness either children of Queen Yoo take their seat so he start to walk towards the inside of the palace. It did not matter if the 3rd went first, as long as the rain falls during or right after he performs his ritual.

Yo

Just as he was taking a step into the palanquin that should have only belonged to him, this beast dares to grab his arm stopping him from entering. With that face with that hideous mask and his animal-like behaviour of devoting to only one woman, he made his skin crawl. He ignore the pang in his chest as he was used to it when he had to see Wang So in front of him.

"I came for my seat." This beast telling him that what was rightfully his belongs to him. He could not help the disbelief in his voice as he questions him.

"The first palanquinn in the rain ritual can only take the Crown Prince or me as the heavens have ordered." This beast asking so proud, he could not control himself, he slap this thing that was supposed to his blood-related brother but instead was a beast like his mother said. As the mask falls, satisfaction spreads. Now we will back off, with his weakness exposed he will leave. He just look on as this man in front of him bends down to pick up his mask and dust off. Rather than going back like a coward, he stares directly at him.

His face...his scar….was gone. Though he may have never personally saw it, he knew where it generally was from that brief moment in their childhood. But now he could not see a trace. The scar that marked him as a lowly being. His face was not a beast rather it reminded him of something that he knew he could not pay attention to. He could not hear what was happening, but he certainly could hear the sound of the first palanquinn leaving the grounds. Rather than staying at the waiting area, he went back into the palace, making his way to one of the rooftops that will let him see the ceremonial grounds, where he had stood two days before together with Wook as they witness the sight of that scarred man being humiliated.

The villagers

The many villagers that were searching for the two young noble couple had still not seen them yet, but they assume that they were here somewhere. Now as the gong sounds and they see the palanquin coming closer, the time for the villagers to do their part in the payment was coming.

Those who were the main instigators did not even wait, the moment that the 4th prince step out of the palanquinn and reaches for the vase, the shouts starts.

"Once again the 4th Prince?"

"How can the heavens answer our plea with a monster as a representative?"

"Didn't you learn enough last time!"

But that was all a background noise. For they knew this figure in front of them. Sure they had only saw him in the night before but you will not forget a face that was half-covered with hair so easily. Not to mention, the familiar steps. The men had walked behind that men last night as they return to their homes with their children. The women had all tried to thank either him or his wife for fulfilling their promises.

This man, the man who they all had shredded his very dignity had personally went into the hideout of the bandits to get their children back. He did not hold a grudge against them for their actions, all he had requested was no more stones thrown in his way. The man who protected them last night, the ones that their children had already started to call their Guardian was the 4th prince. Goryeo's Fourth Imperial Prince Wang So.

Min Gu's family realized the truth when they saw the prince briefly glance at them. They could never forget those wolf-like eyes. He had helped his attackers. By saving their children. A princess. He had entrusted the safety of a princess in the hands of commoners. Their shame at their previous behaviour was undeniable, and the only way to atone for that was to support him and protect his daughter and that is what they will do.

"Son of the great dragon!" The voice of Min Gu's father and uncles raise above the crowd of jeers, and the rest follows. This prince was the people's prince. He and his wife had done more for them than any other prince, not even the generous 8th prince could compare to his actions.

"The dragon's son. The wolf warrior!" The men and women calls out to the 4th prince and almost in unison they bow down. This bow of gratitude and also of plea to the 4th prince who had saved their family, and now hopefully save their livelihood.

"Please grant us rain! The dragon's son! The wolf guardian! Please grant us rain! Grant us rain!" Just as he had protected them, they were going to protect this prince in the only way they knew. By making sure that he will not be harmed due to prejudice ever again. So what if his face bear with no hint of the mask now, his heart was the heart of one that was worthy of the heavens. Of the people's trust and that was all that mattered.

Hae Soo

They had accepted her prince. They had accepted him. As the cries of dragon's son, the wolf warrior and the pleas for rain reaches her, she could not help smiling. A glance around shows the smiles either large or hidden on the faces of her true family. Woo Hee. Soon Deok. Baek Ah. Eun. Jung. Even a small hidden twitch in the King. With her best smile on her face, she faces the entrance.

There he is. Standing just as magnificent as he ever was. The white of the robes truly fit him unlike the others. Because there was innocence in him that was brought out by the white. With the pleading for the rain as well as his title by the people in the background, her prince finally starts to take the steps across the white. Each step calculated and she could feel his emperor aura of command wrapping around him with each step. Her husband was walking with confidence in front of all those who had ever ridiculed him for the scar that was never his fault. This time she did not miss the pure look of silent victory that he gave to his biological mother nor to Queen Hwangbo.

Then he climbs the steps into the podium. His powerful back was all she could see and if others did not see the worth in him than they were not worth it. As he hands the vase over and scans the crowd. She could only imagine what he is seeing and as his gaze goes beyond the palace gate, she prays that her Seol is alright. That she in some from can see this powerful image of her father. Then when her eyes meet his, she simply smiles, and his soft smile was just the same.

Red. Once again it was red, and his plain white robe changes to the royal robe. The king's robe. His smile was at least still the same, and he was holding hands. On either side of him there were figures of three children on each side though they were blurry. But at least his eyes were still warm. The cold eyes of the king but in it was traces of the warmth. She blinks and the vision disappears. At least this time, she thinks that even if he were to ascend to the throne, the coldness in his eyes would not be like before. He will also have some children around him. Maybe the three of them were Seol and the unborn twins, and the other three could be her future nieces and nephews. She will have time to think about it later, now she shakes her head and watches.

As her husband raises his hand then makes the first bow, she feels the crisp cold wind in the air. The scent of fresh nature. The second bow brings what seem to be sound of water, like the ones at the lake and the beach. As the prince completes the third bow, she feels the first drops. The rain has arrived. Looking up the sky, the clouds has rising and now it was raining. The 4th Prince Wang So had once again brought rain. Rain to Goryeo.

They will be able to request what they want from the King. To get Seol home, and all of their people are now saved. Her prince rather than being hated will be celebrated.

"Agasshi," as soon as she turns towards Soon Deok, she finds herself wrapped up in a large bear fur. "You have to keep warm, Agasshi."

"Soo-ya," now it was Woo Hee, "Orabeoni still was to ride back in the palanquin. You cannot get wet, come let's go inside to cover from the rain. Orabeoni will not like you out in the cold."

Knowing that she could not be persuade them otherwise, she follows them inside. But not before making eye contact with the prince on the podium and mounting the words 'I love you' to him. When he smiled widely, she knew that he got the message.