Step Two: Lady Hae Myung Hee

The World They Create Together

Wang So

From the moment, he had entered the house of his 8th brother, he had his emotionless mask firmly on his face. He may have learnt to control his animalistic temper but it did not mean that he will be able to stop himself from making biting remarks to the Hwangbo siblings. While he greet Hae Soo's Unni warmly, he knew that he was a little stiff when exchanging pleasantries with his half-siblings. Hopefully his eldest brother and Baek Ah will just think that he was nervous. He did notice that Yeon Hwa had seem to have dressed up in expensive clothes, compared to the simple and elegant dress of her sister-in-law. Soo shared her cousin's taste in her clothing, and he was always glad for that. Soo was simply a goddess when she dressed in simple clothes and he had a hard time not taking her into his arms, if she dressed in more and more heavily designed hanbok he will either not be able to control himself or she will look like a stranger. But he could simply not wait till he was her dressed up as his bride. That will be the day that all of the nation will witness the true beauty of his queen.

Today it was mainly the day that the Crown Prince will be talking, as he was the best option to talk to Lady Hae. All So had to do was sit next to his brothers as they convince his lover's cousin to give her permission to let them marry. All So had requested was that during the marriage talk, they only talk to Lady Hae without her husband or her sister-in-law, and with Soo in attendance.

"Princess, we brought the tea and sweets. May we enter?" the voice of Chae Ryung enter the room that So was in. As Yeon Hwa called for them to enter, So turn his head towards the door. The servant that entered the room, the one who betrayed her nation for love, who was one of the many who died during his early years on the throne. While he did not plan to kill her, he did not wish to become a monster in Soo's eyes ever again, he did plan to keep her away from Soo as much as possible. As servants continue to enter the room, the table in front of them were filled with many kinds of desserts. They were trying to impress the Crown Prince. He felt his lips turning into a small smile, they were so obvious to it and he could see that it was all Yeon Hwa that ordered it, Lady Hae will be go for quality rather than variety when it comes to tea service. "Agasshi, why are you carrying a tray?" Chae Ryung's question, made Wang So turn his head and look towards where that maid was looking. And he was glad that no one was looking at him, for he had lost his power of speech.

There entering wearing a blue and gold hanbok was Hae Soo. And right on top of her hair was the peony hairpin. In her hands, she was carrying a tray that held a tea pot and a plate of oil and honey pastries. She truly was a vision. She was always beautiful in his eyes, but this sight of her was a heavenly vision. As Soo walk into the room, she bowed to the Crown Prince, before setting the tray in her hand down right in front of his chair. As Soo placed the items on the tray onto the table, So saw something sparkling on her left hand. It was her ring. Her wedding ring with blue stones on her hand, his peony hairpin on her hair. He lift his eyes till he could see her face, and when their eyes met, Soo smiled, and he couldn't control his smile in return. At this moment, all that existed in his mind was him and Soo, just him and his heart.

In the room

Watching the silent admiration and awe on their brother's face, all the Crown Prince and 13th Prince did was smile. By chance the secretly engaged couple was wearing matching colours, and the action of the lady placing tea and sweets in front of her future husband, the princes realized that they were truly a couple. And the look of admiration and awe on the 4th's face was a sight that they could get used to. Baek Ah silently hit his elbow into 4th's arm and finally the 4th seemed to have came out of the daze. Sharing a smile with his eldest brother, they turned back their attention to the pleasantries.

"Lady Hae," the Crown Prince began the conversation after starting on his drink.

"Yes, Crown Prince."

"I wish to talk to you, however I am sorry but I have to ask my 8th brother and sister to leave. It is a business that only concerns the members of Hae clan. I will need to talk to talk to both you and your sixth cousin together."

"Of course, you can talk with my sister-in-law, and her relative, Crown Prince. But first enjoy the snacks, I made sure to have all of your favourites made."

"Thank you, Yeon-Hwa. But sadly, it is a matter of urgency, and the King wants a reply as soon as possible."

"Hwangja-nim, Princess, how about Soo and I talk to the Crown Prince now, so we may enjoy the tea together after official businesses are done."

"Thank you, sister-in-law. Wook-ie, Yeon Hwa-ya, is it ok for you to leave your seat for a while?"

"Is that's what you wish," then 8th prince and his sister exited the room. Now there were only three princes and two Hae ladies left in the room.

"We are alone now, Crown Prince. What do you wish to talk about?"

"The King cares about his alliance with all noble clans very much as you know. But I know that you, my sister-in-law, is very worried about your cousin's future. I heard that she is like your child to you."

"Yes, that's right. Soo is my child. Please speak clearly."

"The King wishes for Lady Soo to marry into the royal family."

"I'm sorry but I cannot let you do that. The King already has many in-laws, why would he desire to also be Haes in-laws?"

"Noona, you misunderstand. Soo is not marrying the King."

"Lady Hae, I was the one who requested the King. I want to marry Hae Soo."

"You, 4th Prince? I'm sorry but I do not think you too hardly know each other."

"Unni, don't worry. We know each other really well. I want to marry him."

"If the King has already ordered it, why are you here today to talk to me?"

"Because I wish you for your permission. I know how much Soo means to you, and I wish for your permission for her to marry me."

"But Soo can hardly give you the powerful background that you need."

"I do not care about that. I do not want to marry a woman who is powerful and valuable. I only wish to marry Soo."

"Is that why, Soo-yah, you were busy learning different things? Things that you weren't interested before?"

"In a way that's right Unni. Unni I can guarantee you that I will be happy. I know that 4th Prince will treat me very well. And in this way, I am marrying someone I want."

"All I want is your happiness," Lady Hae reach out to hold her younger cousin's hands then turns her head to look at the 4th Prince, "will you promise me to take care of her?" At the nod from the 4th prince, now Lady Hae turn to look at her childhood friend. "Baek Ah-ya, you will help her when I can't?" After another nod, Lady Hae turned with a smile to the Crown Prince. "Then I, Hae Myung Hee, approve of the marriage of my cousin, Hae Soo to the 4th Prince. The Hae clan thanks His Majesty for his generosity."

"Thank you sister-in-law."

"Thank you, Noona."

"I sincerely thank you, Lady Hae. I can promise on my father's throne, that I will keep Soo safe."

"Thank you, Unni."

"Lady Hae, I just have a small request. I will be travelling to your hometown tomorrow,"

"What...you just recovered. Why are you travelling, you are not even supposed to be moving around Songak." Suddenly Lady Soo had stood up from where she was sitting and now she was in front of the 4th prince and was starting him down.

"Soo-ya, don't worry I am fine. The doctor said that I am well." 4th prince replied looking a little startled.

"He must have said you were recovered enough to walk around a little, not travel across the nation." Lady Soo was still staring the Prince down.

"I'm fine, Baek Ah is going with me. He will make sure that I am good." After another doubtful look from Lady Soo and a glance thrown between 4th and 13th prince, the lady silently nodded before turning back to walk towards the chair.

"Well, I am glad that my brother's future-wife knows how to keep him in." At that sentence by Crown Prince, the occupants of the room all start chuckling as both the 4th prince and Lady Soo look down in embarrassment. Lady Soo was definitely blushing.

"Don't worry 4th Prince, I will write a letter to my family for you to bring it with you. Though you do not need their permission when you already have the King's permission."

"It's just in case Noona. He may not look like it but So-Hyungnim is a worrywart in disguise."

"4th prince is definitely a worrywart, there is no question about it."

"Well I have to worry, when my lady is such a careless creature that brings trouble."

"I am careless, then Your Highness will be reckless."

"Lady Hae, invite back the others quickly. Otherwise these two will have a husband-wife spat, even before they are officially engaged."

"You are right, Crown Prince. Soo-ah, call the 8th prince and the princess back." Without even a glance at her unofficial fiancee, Lady Soo head towards the doors.

"Hyungnim, you were right. You will be the focus of Soo's lectures, while me and Eunnie-Hyungnim will be able to spend time with her having fun with no care." Now it was Baek-Ah's statement that started the chuckles, and when the 8th prince and the princess entered the room again, they were confused as to why they were laughing. Explaining away as a funny instance that just happened, the Crown Prince invited everyone to sit, even Lady Soo to the Princess's displeasure, and enjoy the tea and snacks.