Songak Market

The World They Create Together

The royal announcement shocked the citizens of Goryeo. Marriage of a Prince was not an unusual occurrence, similar to the King's various marriages, but those were marriage with woman who will not be their first wife. Now the first marriage of a prince was a reason to celebrate as the wedding will bring many people over for a visit to Songak, thus increasing the trade. But what shocked the people was just who was getting married. It was the 4th Prince Wang So. The prince who were known as 'wolf-dog' and known to be cruel. The prince that covered his face with a mask for some reason. The only prince that had been adopted. Just who was marrying him?

Sure through him, his wife's family will have an alliance with the royal household as well as two of the major clans, but was that enough of a prize to exchange your life tied to such a hideous and cruel man. Maybe the wife was planning to divorce him soon. Some people said. But that reasoning went out the window, when people in Songak learnt through rumours that the 4th prince's wife was an orphaned noble. Well that must be it, what orphan will refuse being under the protection of a prince or a tie to the royal family?

The merchants of Songak were further surprised later that day. Four princes, the 10th, the 13th, the 14th and surprising with them were the 4th prince, and they were all shopping together. The merchants and the villagers could recognize them, because just a few days ago, the people had to dodge the racing horse and they could recognize the people that were on the two racing horses that day, so it was easy for them to assume it was the princes. All the stall owners were nervous when the princes came over to their stall, especially because of the silent 4th prince behind them, who was dressed in black and light purple (outfit of the picnic lunch in ep.4) who seemed to be staring intensely at them. The younger princes would look over the merchandise and were fondly arguing back and forth about which was the best or worthy to be a percent for their new sister-in-law, or as the 14th called her Noonim. If the younger princes were so happily searching for gifts for her, the 4th prince's bride must not be so bad or ambitious as the rumors made her out to be. The stall owners thought that the 4th prince was there to offer opinions on the gifts being considered, as only time he spoke was either to reject a gift or offer a nod in approval. It seems that at least the 4th prince seemed to care for his bride, more than the other royal husbands as they were the type of people to send servants to purchase their gifts rather than set out to the market themselves. Eventually the royal brothers had paid a visit to all the street side stalls before they headed towards the more upper class stores. According to the stories that were told afterwards, those wealthy merchants had a very unique experience.

At the tailor that focused on men's hanbok, the tailors were shocked. The younger princes had the 4th prince stand up on the pedestal, and had been told not to move by his younger brothers, before the younger princes spread throughout the store, picking out fabrics. Again and again, the younger brothers brought fabrics to see how it will look on their Hyungnim, if it looked good, it was put in the acceptable pile. Then once there was more than 20 fabrics selected by the younger princes, now they went out to pick the accompanying fabrics and the style of hanbok. Throughout it all, the 4th prince the supposedly cruel prince simply stood still and let his younger brothers pick his new outfits. The tailor was amazed that the prince did not even protest when he was constantly having to pose with different fabrics pressed against him. The tailor had witnessed even the gentlest man grow frustrated when being a mannequin for their fitting. But it seems that the 4th prince was a good brother who did not mind his little brothers having fun with him, and acting informal with him. Once all the fabrics was selected, it was time for measurements but the tailor did not have to do that task he was dreading, as the 4th prince had brought with him, a hanbok and a sash that were of his size. When the total was ranged up, the tailor was so happy as just this order will be enough for his family to survive three months maybe even more, what with over 20 hanboks being ordered. The tailor was even promised extra silver if he did fast work and had all of it ready by the royal wedding, whenever that date was, apparently the Astronomer would be deciding on the date tomorrow. Once the princes have left, the merchant decided to work all night if he had to finish the pending orders so that he could get started on the 4th prince's clothes.

At the tailoress, the princes were a bit different. This time, all of the princes were looking around the shop, and they used one of the empty tables to set all the fabrics they were interested in down. Then the princes start to pair together fabrics. The people in the shop, both the customers and the employees, could hear the frequent arguments between the brothers on the colour choices or what kind of fabrics would look the best on her. People were listening to get any hint of the identity of the 4th Prince's bride but all they heard was Hyungsu-nim or Noonim, even the 4th Prince simply said 'that person'. But there was no mistaking how much all of the princes cared about their future family member, the fact that they were even in the store shopping for her themselves were proof of that. The woman around them made sure that their jealousy was not shown, though what woman will not wish to be cared so deeply by her future family. Evident by the lady's future in-laws personally going out to shop for her. Once again, the final order had more than 20 outfits, though the style of the hanbok and the designs were left up to the tailoress, and they were also promised extra silver if all of the order was done before the royal wedding.

The last shop for the royal brothers that day was a store that only sold accessories. There it was chaotic, all the princes went around the store, picking out all the hairpins, hair ornaments, rings, and earring that they thought pretty or they thought that the mysterious bride will like and they purchased all of them. They had the shop owners put all of it proper boxes for each accessories then making sure to wrap the boxes together with silk. Then carrying their purchases in their hands, all of the princes walk towards the palace together. The brothers were actually talking comfortably with each other, even the 4th prince who was being teased by his younger brothers. It seems they were wrong about the 4th prince. He was not that cruel as rumors said. He cares about his brothers, let them without retaliation, and seemed to really care about his bride being adored in only the finest things that he purchased himself.

Hae Soo

She just dropped down to her bed in exhaustion. If yesterday had been relatively peaceful, today it was chaotic. Unni was determined that Soo will be ready to be a bride. Unni had made her go over lessons such as flower arrangement, calligraphy, classics, and etiquettes all morning. Then in the afternoon, she was used as a doll. Merchants have came to the residence and Unni set about getting her an entire new wardrobe that will be appropriate of her status as a future member of the royal family, though that part was still a secret. Underclothes, fancy clothes for special occasions, clothes to be worn before the King, travelling clothes and many more. She had to stand in place in silence as she was being used as a doll till her Unni and the tailoress was satisfied.

Then there was Chae-ryung who burst in the room bringing with her news or gossips. The market of Songak was bursting today.

"Lady Hae, Agasshi, there was a royal announcement. The 4th Prince is getting married." When they had asked who he was marrying, Chae ryung did not know as apparently the bride's identity had not been revealed. Then soon after, Chae Ryung came back with another news. "The 4th prince is apparently getting married to an orphaned noble. The rumours of the bride planning on a divorce died down when that fact was revealed." She remembered how irritated she was when she heard that. The people thought that the 4th's bride was marrying to get connections then divorce him because of how ugly he supposedly was. Didn't these people have eyes, her prince was handsome and strong. Sure he could be cruel but he was mainly gentle and cute like a baby wolf. Once it was the afternoon, Chae Ryung brought constant updates from the market, the merchants in the room were very interested in that information.

"The princes have arrived at the market. The 10th, 13th, and the 14th prince but the 4th prince are there with them. It seems like they are out shopping for the 4th's bride." Well she wonder what gifts she will get. And she was glad that So-nim was with Jungie-nim, she hoped that the brothers will get along this time.

"The princes are at the tailors. The 4th Prince is standing still and just letting his brothers choose his clothes." That made Soo feel a little better, at least the prince was in same situation as her if he was being used as a doll. Besides it promised to be an amusing sight when the 4th will have to wear bright coloured robes, because what else will the younger princes choose.

"The princes are buying clothes for the mysterious bride. They were heard arguing at the shop over what colour and fabric will suit the lady. Everyone is saying how lucky the lady is that her future husband and his brothers want to shop for her clothes." Soo could feel the warmth of love and care even far away. The princes really cared about her. And she cared about them in return. While she knew that she could not change everyone to be kind, she had learnt that through those painful times of her past, she can enjoy her present and try to be an understanding bridges between the princes, so the tragic distant relationships will not occur again.

Once the clothes were purchased, Soo finally had a break, so she decided that she needed a girl talk time. So she decided to do that with Unni. Complaining to her about how she did not like palace rules, but she still can live with that if she could live with the 4th prince. Or how she hated his reckless side and she wished that she will never have to see him wounded if she could. Unni had patiently listening and in return offered her advices, which in her case boiled down to serve the prince well, and take care of him. To try not to cause trouble, but never change into a person that she did not want to be.

Strangely, she had not seen the 8th prince or the Princess all day. Though it seemed like both of them had went to the palace. Though since there has been no visits from the Princess, she had not find out that it was Soo that was the bride of the 4th prince. The 8th Prince maybe dealing with court matters. Rather than worrying about them, Soo had to sleep. Tomorrow she will be visiting the palace for the first time in this lifetime. The King had requested a secret audience with his future daughter-in-law, and the news of her marriage had to be given to Queen Hwangbo. And if the princes find her there, which was very likely, she could maybe visit Damiwon and see Court Lady Oh. Then she could finally see the new private compound of the 4th Prince, where she will be living after she married. Closing her eyes, Soo wished for happy dreams to visit her Prince tonight and wish for her to see her wolf prince in her dreams today.