Encounters

The World They Create Together

Hello Readers. Happy Valentine's Day.

It is an extra long update today because I am not sure when I will update next, what with school and all. I hope you enjoy and please leave a review, that is what gives me the strength to continue.

Destiny

Wang Yo

In all the years he had been alive, never had he wished to forget everything but now he wished to do it. For once, nothing mattered. The lessons, the meetings with court officials, overseeing the arrival of nobles from other regions of Goryeo for the upcoming wedding. Not even the rumoured attendance of royal family members that were refugees from fallen Balhae, that could forge some strong political ties for him. What did it matter anyway?

All of his life he had done everything for his mother. Believing in her, sharing her pain, helping her out all because he knew that she loves him and he would be the rightful heir to the throne rather than his half-brother borne from a noble lady that had the blood of Khitan. But now he could not even believe that.

No, it was pathetic. Here he was the mighty 3rd imperial prince hiding inside the small pavilion by Lake Dongii, surrounded by bottles and bottles of alcohol, just wishing to forget. But what else could he do? Nothing that he had believed it, or what he had done was worth it. It was all for nothing. He could still hear it. The voice of his Eomoni speaking to her court lady after her informant had let her know about the execution planned for one of her court ladies, and the fact that the king knew about the bribes that had been given to so many at his hands, on the order of his mother.

"It does not matter. So, Yo will be compromised. Pyeha can't do anything worse than exile. He will come back strong, but if he cannot then there is Jung. Jung, my child is still alive to take his brother's place."

No worries, no concern. All she cared about was her plan. After silently stumbling from behind the doors of her quarters, he had made his way here. He had found chests of alcohol hidden and just decided to stay. But now the sun was so high up in the sky, and as he squints up, there it was the bright sun.

Bright sun. So. His little brother. His little brother that he had tormented and hated for so long, who he had broken all ties from but he had been the one that saved him. He had been the one to show him comfort, the one that had begged for leniency for him to their father, the king who just stood by as his children were pitted against each other and stood emotionless even on the day that his child had died. He was wrong. He had been wrong for so long, about so many things. Even now that whisper haunts him.

"Please return back to being my Hyungnim."

So's Hyungnim. He wonders where that person was now. Whether that older brother who had taught his younger brother, his first sword stand still exists in him or not.

What use was it to think? When unlocked memories filled with that happy voice circles in his head and he could hear his voice degrading that child over and over on top of the beautiful memories. He picks up the bottle in front of him, and just drinks. For today, he will drink and drink and will forget. Not think about what he had to do next. For himself. Something that he did not know how to do at all.

Wang So

It took a while but finally, he could not smell blood anymore. Not from his hands, not from his skin, nor present in his mind. The night had burned his soul alive, and he had felt the darkness consuming him, the madness just waiting to engulf him but he had been able to stop it from completely taking over him. He knows that his Soo is not stupid. She must have known that something had happened last night but she had been supporting him and hadn't questioned him yet. He hopes that continues. He will see what happens tonight, At least they had accomplished something last night. There were no more clues about the traitors, they had caught a court lady and now she was sentenced to death for regicide. Perhaps, this will bring some peace to Court Lady Oh, who had suffered for so long.

Not to mention, he had been able to do something that he had wished to do. To correct one of his mistakes. Rather than driving his older brother Yo to insanity like a monster, giving him a way out, and a way to save himself from the clutches of the power-thirsty Yoo clan. Those long years alone in the palace had taught him many things. But none more of that guilt. The guilt of driving away the happiness of his brothers, of his people. That guilt was one thing, but then he remembered things that he hadn't in his previous life. The memories of his childhood before the scar. And that there was one more person there with him.

More than Ji Mong and the Crown Prince, separately from them, there had been his Yo Hyungnim. The hyungnim who taught him, who read to him, who showed his affection hidden away from the eyes of their mother and her servants. Who had been his silent ally. Those memories were what was guiding his actions towards his young brothers now, on how to care about them. His actions for his daughter Seol, when he had never held a babe or toddler in his arm. And perhaps if it was possible, his actions last night may have been enough for his older brother to realize the truth. How he hoped. Because he knew that before the Ninth-day Festival was the only time before the palace will once again become a field of blood. It was the last chance for anyone to change before they could get swallowed by the poison of the palace.

Hae Soo

How she missed this. It has been so long. Though it was hard for everyone to be convinced finally, she had been allowed to walk outside. Not too far mind you. Just till the pavilion on the lake that was less than a kilometre away but it was enough. Not after being confined to just her quarters for so long. Mind you, it was not alone.

No, there was Woo Hee and Jung-nim with her. Her usual guard Soon Deok was busy with preparation for her wedding and she knew that Eun-nim was currently being fitted into his wedding hanbok. Baek Ah-nim was visiting his mother and his Silla relatives who had arrived at the palace for the wedding. She also knew that a group of royal guards were within shouting distance, no doubt by either her husband or her father-in-law's orders. Those two were the ones that had raised the most protest and it had taken a lot of pleading for them to allow this. And to escape the nagging, she had decided to set out during the time of day that both men were busy with meetings.

Looking at the prayer stones in front of her reminds her of Seol. Her pure snowflake. Who dressed in a light blue skirt with a navy blue shirt and looking like a little fairy had set off together with the five royal guards and the mysterious new guard that the 4th prince had brought over last night to tour around the marketplace. She had not wished to let her out of her sight, but Seol had been getting restless and it would be better for her beautiful daughter to be away from the main areas of the palace, especially today. Why? Because she knew that there were nobles arriving in the palace for the wedding next week, then the Ninth Day Festival a couple days afterwards.

She did not want any young noble boys or their families who were looking for their future brides to notice her Seol. No, one marriage to an unfaithful noble was enough for Seol. All of her children were going to marry the one that was worthy of them. Not for connections or feelings of polite affection. Only for love. What better test for future potential suitor than whether they could accept a bride that wore a veil and was believed to be disfigured. Only the ones that passed this test will be allowed to marry her daughter in the future. And she knew that her dear husband will agree with her on this. Because to him, anyone that hurt his people was signing on their death. But that day was still far in the future.

Because right now she had the twins in her womb to consider. In a blink, it was already seven and a half month into her pregnancy. Just two months left until they will be born. She remembers once reading on the net that twins tend to be born early, but she hopes that will not happen. Not in the 10th century with none of the medical technology to support a premature baby. Speaking of the twins, they had been active today more compared to other days. After the poisoning, any signs of life from her twins were welcome. More than ever.

"Noonim," at Jung-nim's voice, she turns towards him coming out of her daydreams. "You had been walking for so long. There is the pavilion right there, let's rest. You are not supposed to do too much."

"I'm still fine, Wangjanim"

"No, Agassi. It's better to rest. You do not want Orabeoni to worry otherwise this will be the last time you would be let out unless it is for official ceremonies." She knows Woo Hee's words are right, no matter how much she wishes that it would be different. So silently, she turns and starts to walk toward the pavilion right ahead. She had been feeling a little tingle in her back so perhaps it was best to rest for now. As she climbs the little steps to enter into the pavilion, nothing could have prepared her for the sight in front of her. Nor could she stop her scream of surprise.

Wang Jung

This was not hard. He wonders why his So Hyungnim had been so worried. It was not like Noonim will be in danger, not when he was with her anyway. But he did remember that Noonim was with a child right now, and everyone had always said how when a lady was in a delicate condition, she is supposed to rest and only think of beautiful things so that her babies will be healthy. Sadly, his Noonim hadn't gotten peaceful rest and looking at beautiful things had been hard, what with the poisoning and all but that was the past. These last months of pregnancy, he along with his Hyungnims were going to make sure that his Noonim had plenty of things that are supposed to be good for her and his future nieces or nephews. So when he hears his Noonim scream when she enters the pavilion, all he could think was that an attacker was here. He grabs his sheathed sword and runs. He is going to protect his Noonim.

Wang Yo

Waking up with a hangover was painful. Especially when you were outside with the sun shining right on top of you. But it was more disturbing to be woken due to a scream, and when he blinks, he finds himself surrounded. On the grounds around him were bottles of empty alcohol, and all around him were swords pointed towards him. The hint of armours lead him to conclude they were the royal guards, but when he looks again, he could recognize the insignia on the armours. The insignia of the palace guards of King's Palace. Had they come to arrest him. Perhaps a royal punishment of exile or death was what will help him out. To escape from the feelings of betrayal and guilt that were all mixed inside of him.

"No, put away the sword." Who? Who was commanding the royal guards to step away from him, and why were they listening to that voice? "Jung-nim, please run back to Byul. Ask Min Soo to give you all the things that I set aside to deal with a hangover. Now, please. Woo Hee-ah, I know that there are some cushions here, please get them from me. If you could help in cleaning up around here, from going back to your post, guards, I will appreciate it." And the guards were following this voice.

It was clearly a female. Was it his mother? No, this was a gentle and sweet voice. Yeon Hwa? He had thought that she would be perfect as his consort but now he could not be sure at all. No, Yeon Hwa will never use such pleasant speech with the guards. This voice was asking not commanding as Yeon Hwa does. Wait? Jung? Woo Hee? His youngest brother and the name of the name of the aunt of that child. It could only be that person. The wife of his brother So. Hae Soo. His sister-in-law that he had never spoken a word to since their wedding banquet, and she had been the one to find him in his ruined state, and rather than having him arrested, had made the guards stand down. Why?

His head was spinning and he could hardly open his eyes, but he could feel the wall behind him. He slowly sits up and then leans back against the wall. The sounds of soldiers were all around him, as well as sounds of clay bottles being gathered but right now he could not bother to care. No. He had to regain his senses first. Then he will deal with this situation that he was now in.

"Please take a sip, Wangjanim." He must have dozed off once again. He could feel something wrap around him, it felt like fur and he was cozy. He could feel a spoon being pressed against his lip. It smelt warm. Right now he did not care if it was poison or not, he allows himself to sip the liquid. And continue to sip as it is offered to him. It was hangover soup. It had been a while since he had drunk it, but now he reminds the taste. And it was a powerful one as well. He could feel his headache disappearing. It was not like he could delay anything. He opens his eyes, ready to deal with any situation.

Hae Soo

Right now, all she could see in the 3rd prince was that scared king from the past. The one that was slowly driven to insanity due to his hidden sensitivities. It was like he had been broken once again, his trust broken. That's all she can see. Perhaps that is why she was acting like this. Feeding him soup like a child, bundling him up in a fur blanket, and gently nursing him from his hangover. It was like that night that the 4th prince had broken down the prayer stones angry and devastated at the same time due to Queen Yoo. Maybe Prince Yo had suffered the same thing. Maybe there was a chance of redemption for this prince like her beloved 4th prince had gotten. Maybe she could get him to trust in his brothers and accept them rather than being engulfed by the poison that Queen Yoo wants her sons to drink. There was no harm in trying, and she knew what she had to do. Talk and talk and talk him to death, until they respond to her. All the males of the Wang family were similar in this aspect, perhaps they all got it from Pyeha.

Woo Hee

Lady Hae Soo, her Agassi must have been gifted by the heavens. Otherwise, how could she do this? That 3rd prince that she had heard about, the cold and calculating prince was in front of her but he was so different. It was like the ice was melting like the prince was ageing backwards as rather than silence, he was slowly starting to engage in the conversation with her Agassi. It was such an uncommon sight that if she has not witnessed it herself, she would have never believed it.

It seems her Agassi had the ability to change even the most unfeeling individual and let them drop their mask. She knew that the 3rd Prince was now caught. He would not be able to escape now. Once you were fascinated by Princess Hae Soo, it was not long before you were within the circle of those who want to protect her and build connections with those close to her.

It seems like the political landscape of Goryeo was going to change again. She had made the right choice all those months ago to choose the 4th Prince. For it was towards him, all of the influence was silently being drawn towards the 4th Prince and without being noticed by anyone of importance with the exception of King Taejo, Ji Mong and the one that will benefit the most from the 4th Prince, Crown Prince Mu.

Meanwhile at the marketplace

Kwon Chul

After his life was spared, he thought he would be made to do some horrible tasks by the terrifying 4th Prince once he came under his power, but so far nothing had been bad. In a way, he had been treated better at Byul last night, than he had been back in the Kwon residence as an illegitimate one, that too, a one older than the legitimate heir.

The 4th Prince's actions that he had witnessed this morning was such a contrast to that figure in that cell that he did not know which one was the real. The cold and unfeeling animal-like one in the prison cell, or the silent and a gentleman that was showing so much concern for his lady wife, more than he had ever seen a man treat his pregnant lady before in his seventeen years on this earth. It was so confusing that he had been glad to be asked to go to the marketplace and accompany the guards to the little lady child who wishes to see the marketplace.

That little child was another mystery, she was a ward but all the five royal guards treated her as she was a little princess and wasn't that a bit too much, five of the elite royal guards going out in disguise to one royal ward, that was not older than three summers. Not to mention a girl that covered her face with a veil, it was not like anyone would be in a hurry to harm a little girl who had a fault. Those kidnappings were most likely to happen to beautiful young girls so, it would not happen to Lady Wang Seol. The entire thing around Byul was so strange for him that it would take a while for him to get used to it.

The marketplace was as usual lively, perhaps more so because there was a royal wedding in the next week thus the merchants were more busy and enthusiastic than ever to sell. It was nice for him but apparently, it was not appreciated by the guards that had come with him. He was the one that was acting as Lady Seol's guardian and the five guards were all around him acting as customers in various stalls around them, always keeping in them in sight. As he looks at Lady Seol who is walking a little bit in front of him dressed up in blue, looking like a small waterdrop, he couldn't help but feel pity. From the back, he could tell that this lady will likely grow up to a heavenly beauty but her face will likely hinder her future in aspects of marriage. At least she will have the protection of the royal family.

As he turns his head for a second to look at the display of swords, he notices a movement of blue out of the corner of his eyes. She was gone. Lady Seol who was here a second ago was gone. His frantic eyes must have caught attention because, in a second, all five guards were around him, and silently they were also looking around with him. Hoping to see that colour blue.

"Let's search first. Before we report back. Today is already tense with the execution happening tomorrow, we do not need the 4th prince agitated." He completely agrees with that guard, maybe it was Son or Jin, he did not know them well enough. He will never wish for anyone to meet that cold 4th Prince. As he turns to split up and search, he thinks back to his early thought of having five guards for a kid with a veil must be too much. No for this Lady Seol, he could see now that she is a trouble magnet. For her, even ten guards may not be enough.

Seol

She is strong. Her Appa has taught her tricks, not to mention her uncles, grandfather and the guards. All of them had shown her and made her practice ways to make anyone that tries to bother or attack her to stay away or beat them. That is what she thinks, as she picks up a stick and uses it to hit the man in front of her from behind that had been harassing two boys, well a little boy that was older than her and a baby in his arms.

One hit was enough, the two big guys in front of crumbles down when the stick hit right between their legs. Her Appa was right. That spot was deadly. But they won't be down for long. She reaches forward and drags the two boys, nobles from the look of their clothing out of the alley and into the main market street. As she looks slows down and catches her breath, she moves the strands of her hair that had fallen out of the from her braid.

Her hair was a mess, completely open, and her pretty outfit given by her Aunt Deok was all messy with dirt and a little bit of mud. Compared to her, the two boys in front of her look like a prince. Well, the older boy is beautiful. Looking at him makes her feel warm and she could feel some heat on her cheeks before beneath her veil. No, it was not time to think of a mystery. She has to get back to her guards before they worry otherwise she will never be able to come out again without a battalion. She knows enough about her Appa and Haraboji now.

"You are safe now. You should be strong."

"Marry me." Huh? What did she hear? Was that the older boy? Did she hear it right?

"Are you sick? Or am I sick? Appa said to avoid sick people. Never mind, what is your name?"

"It's Gu Hyun Seok. This is my brother Gang Hyeon. And you?"

"Its.." But I see Jin, I have to go back now. "Stay safe. I don't like weak boys so grow strong." With that, I run back.

Gu Hyun Seok

She disappears in a blink. The lady that took my heart and who will be my bride. I am only seven summers now, and people will say that I am too young but I already know. I know that I am smart that my older brother always praises me. I know if I marry her she will always be with me, and that's what I want.

Before Goryeo was strange, so different that I didn't like it at all compared to Balhae but now I will like this place. Because this place has that beautiful saviour in it. But how am I going to find her if I don't know her name?

"Gung-ah, what's the matter?" I follow my brother's hand and there on the ground is a hairpin. A hairpin of blue butterflies on a white flower. It was hers. Butterfly. Nabi. I could hear her voice saying that she did not like weak boys. Then I will become strong. Wait for me, my Lady Nabi. I will find you and I will marry you. I have to hurry back now, Crown Prince of Balhae, my Hyungnim must be worried.