Choosing a Date

The World They Create Together

Wang So

The moment that there were no signs of anyone that did not know the truth, So stood up from where his table, and made his way to where Soo was standing with Eun, Jung and Baek-Ah. He could hear the Crown Prince walking behind him, but he was focused on only Soo.

"Soo-ya." The moment she heard his voice, she turned to her and smiled as she bows her head in greeting then made her way towards him.

"Hwangjanim, were you doing well? Take your medicine and rest your body?" Just like Soo that her lectures starts the moment they meet. Smiling, he offers her, his arm and the moment she takes it, he starts to walk. His brothers were surrounding the two of them on either side so all anyone will see will be a group made up of the princes walking together.

"Kure, I am well. What about you? Your knees is it healed? Ji Mong said that the doctor did not say anything was wrong." He could see her pouting slightly, but she lifts her head up high and replies back to him.

"I am perfectly fine. The doctor just told me to be careful, and not to do anything that involve running for a while. And I have not ran since then. I may have walked but I have not ran. What about you? Did you really follow all the direction of the doctor?" Now she was looking at him, and he knew that he did ignore the doctor's warning, but she did not need to worry so he simply nodded.

"Hyungnim, you are lying. Soo-ya, hyungnim just lied."

How could he forget that his brothers with such a big mouth was with him. Now Soo had turned to Eun-ah and he was going to tell her for sure. He knew that her lectures were going to get worse so if he wants to avoid that, he had to confess and apologize. He did not want Soo to be upset but inevitable. Bracing himself for her anger, he decides to confess.

"I didn't lie, Eun-ah. Soo-ya, I did take my medicine and rest. I'm sorry but I did a bit of drinking after that day in the forest with Jung-ah and then had a cup of alcohol when the Crown Prince served it to me in congratulations. That's it." At this point, all of them had stopped walking and was just staring at Soo. So knew no one wanted her to be upset, and her being angry at them was something that Eun and Jung especially didn't want. Soo seems to stare at him and Jung for another moment, before she suddenly smiled.

"4th Hwanjanim, I trust that you only drank a little. But if you did get drunk then I think that would have been enough of a punishment. I can trust your brothers to keep you in check. But please remember that if I have to be careful about my health, it is the same for you." Then Soo grabbed his arm again and now start to pull him as she walked ahead. "Please hurry up, don't we have to find out about our wedding date. We shouldn't keep Astronomer Choi Ji Mong waiting." Smiling and with a sigh of relief, he starts to catch up to Soo and could hear his brothers coming up behind him. He knew that his brothers will mercilessly about how easily he had apologized but he did not want such a small thing coming back to hurt them later.

Hae Soo

This feeling of anticipation, nervousness, and excitement was so special to her. Waiting patiently for their wedding date to be decided. She and her prince stood side-by-side as they watch the Astronomer move around his workplace. Even the princes around them were waiting in silence. But she was starting to get worried. Ji Mong has been working for close to an hour but he still could not seem to find a date. Then suddenly she hears curses. Wow. She never knew that the Astronomer could swear but really those were some creative curses. Looking around all of the princes were staring at the Astronomer in confusion and awe. Just what was going on?

"Ji Mong, is there a problem?" Finally the Crown Prince asks. She was glad it was him rather than her prince because he would have threaten Ji Mong with bodily harm. Ji Mong looks up to the group of people standing in front of him, her and the princes, then he just sigh before replying.

"Yes there is a problem. There are too many dates. There are too many dates that could be the wedding date for the 4th prince and Lady Soo. Any day when the a moon is not new or complete are perfect according to both of their birth dates. I tried to narrow it down but it is impossible. I will require more information from both of you." More time meaning more waiting. She did not really want that.

"Ji Mong….could you get it done faster? The King is expecting the date to be chosen today." Well, at least Wang So-nim did not threaten him with harm if he did not speed up.

"Well, if you say so.." then Ji Mong look around at all the people gathered in his room and he seemed to have come to a decision. "If you want the date today, all of the princes and Lady Soo will have to help me. Is that alright with you?"

"Whatever it is, we will do it." Since it was the Crown Prince that said it, it meant all of them will do it. Though Soo like to think that all of them would have done it regardless.

"Good, then I require this. 4th prince and Lady Soo, please take a seat at the main table over there on the opposite side of the table. Crown Prince, if you could help me record down their answers to the questions I will ask. While the younger princes, please bring all the charts on my desk to that big table and spread it."

Soo felt her prince taking her hand and she walks down the stairs together to the middle floor where the large table under where the airplane was. Wang So-nim was be careful to not go so fast on the stairs. It seems that he will always be careful about her knees. He could be so adorable sometimes.

The room with the wooden airplane

At the head of the table seating while facing each other was the engaged couple. Bursting around them were the younger brothers of the groom, carefully spreading charts all over the table. Sitting at the head of the table was the Crown Prince who had two sheets in front of him, ready to start writing. On his left, stood the Royal Astronomer, who when he had checked that everyone in place like he had requested began to speak.

"The process is simple. I will ask a single question and I require a one word answer from both the 4th prince and Lady Soo. Crown Prince please write down their answers. Based on their answers, I will tell the young princes which charts I need or which ones I do not need. Please take those charts away."

"But...Ji Mong there are over a hundred papers."

"Ye, 10th Hwanjanim, that is why there are three princes. Are you all ready?" Seeing that all of them did not have a real choice in the manner. They nodded. "Then, I will begin."

J: Year of birth

WS: Year of the Rooster

HS: Year of the Monkey

J:Season

WS: Spring

HS: Fall

"Hwangjanim, please take away all of the charts that deal with either spring or fall"

J: Element

WS: Fire

HS: Water

"Hwanjanim, take all of the charts of those that do not have winter away."

J: Flower

WS: Lotus

HS: Peony

J: Snow or Rain

WS: Snow

HS: Snow

J: Animal

WS: Butterfly

HS: Wolf

"take those that does not mention red, white, or wind away."

J: Warm or Cold

WS: Warm

HS: Warm

"Thank you 4th Prince and Lady Soo, that is all. Crown Prince if I could see the paper," taking the paper in hand, the Astronomer went around the table where the remaining charts were laid.

"Rooster and Monkey meaning nature so a day with limited light will not do. Summer or winter as they lie in between spring and fall, however fire and water play a more bigger part in winter thus it has to be in winter," as he talks the astronomer were throwing away charts behind him or pulling them near him. "Peony and lotus means that it will have to be during the early morning or afternoon, but it cannot be near the end of the moon cycle as it is more bloody there. And both of the animals require wind thus it has to be a day that is likely to have wind."

As the Astronomer talked the number of charts decreased in his hands before finally there was only one. Taking the chart with him, the astronomer got his brush ready and then consulting the chart, he wrote the date down on three different papers. Folding the papers carefully with a coloured red paper, the astronomer stood and walk towards the side of the room, where all of the princes and the lady were gather.

"Congratulations, 4th Prince and Lady Soo. Your wedding date has been set for the midday on the night of the half-moon in this upcoming moon cycle. Thus you both have about a week to prepare for your wedding. Here is the one to give to your clan, here is for 4th prince, and I will take the date personally to the King. Then, I will take my leave, your highnesses." With a bow, Ji Mong exits the room, but not before hearing the excited voice of Lady Soo talking about how she is getting married in a week.