Thoughts

The World They Create Together

Jin

From an outsider's point of view, the three people in front of him were definitely a family or at least included some people with familiar relations. It was rather obvious that the young woman and the small child in her arm were related. Both of them had milky white skin, with similar features that wore a white blouse. The difference was that both of them had different coloured skirts, the child wore a dark reddish pink while the lady wore a plum skirt. Both of their hair were open and they only had a single thing in their hair that was tying some of their hair at the top of their head. The lady had a pair of long hairpins with plum flowers that kept the bun in place, while the child wore a red ribbon in her hair. The two females could be sisters, mother and daughter, cousins or other relation but it was rather obvious that the two ladies were related.

Now the man standing next to them was a bit harder to figure out. It was obvious with the way, he kept close to both females and how they were quietly interacting that he was a familiar and trusted presence. Sure the man had his hair in a ponytail, and was not likely married, to those people observing in the market particularly the elderly thought that it will not be long before the man wearing the silver and black hanbok (same one in Shinju scene with Ji Mong) will be married to the young lady.

People love to talk and as he was walking behind the three, he heard the passing remarks of the people in the market. Well, they were right about the three being a family but they did not guess how they were related. Who could guess that these people wearing a slightly more refined hanbok than the slaves and commoners were actually part of the royal family.

That this man was the 4th prince that the people were praising for bringing the rain down, and that the lady was his wife. Perhaps one of the more approachable royals out there for the people as she did not seem to be someone that was looking for power, at least from the information that were gathered by the people through the rumors and those who had seen the 4th prince's wife. That the small child in the lady's arms was their daughter, a royal lady, a princess in a sense.

He was sometimes surprised by how much the prince and Lady Soo will go to such lengths to hide their identities, but at least it made it easier to guard them. Anyone that was taking too much of an interest in what seemed to be a group of commoners could be easily identified and the situation can be monitored. But security reason aside, the ease at which they blended with the common people let Jin know just how down-to-earth these two royals truly were.

They were ordinary human beings that were born under a great title but it was easy to know that they were human with a heart. Sometimes he knew that some of the palace servants wondered if some of the royal family members actually had a heart or not, But no one will dare to say it out loud, it was just another thing that you kept it in your heart if you wish to survive.

"Appa," at the voice of the little lady, he return his attention to the front to see that, Seol Agasshi had now grab onto the sleeve of her father with one hand, and was pointing at something with her other hand. Following the tiny hand, he notice a blended stall. On one hand, there was a tea house, and right next to it was a fabric store. Once the prince registers what Seol Agasshi is pointing towards without a single word but with a slight smile that Jin could see, the group of three made their way towards the shop. From what Jin knew, the 4th prince love to spoil his wife, so it was likely to be the same with his daughter. He wonder how the palace will change with the addition of this new child.

Palace

Eun, Baek Ah, Jung

To say that the younger princes were nervous was an underestimation. Sure they were still a bit shocked, but the fact that they had a niece that they could spoil was a happy news. Besides Seol, their niece was the daughter of Soo, their dearest friend. Eun hope that Seol love to play more than his mother. Jung was just curious how a child of his elusive Hyung and his Noonim behave. Baek Ah was the only one that realized the danger that Seol could be exposed to in the palace, but he was also excited to see Seol, maybe the child will also have some mannerisms of Myung Hee as well. Not to mention he wonder how his So-Hyungnim will behave around his daughter. Will he be as helpless to fight against her wishes as he was with Soo?

But to make sure that no one will suspect anything, the princes were told to act natural the entire day, and to make sure that no one notice that the 4th prince and his wife were actually missing from the palace grounds. So all of them if they were ever asked where they were by someone, they had all decided to reply that they had went on a solitary walk. As the palace occupants knew about the frequent walks taken by the royal couple, no one will think of it as a strange thing. Besides, the two were out on a walk just outside of the palace grounds.

The princes did not forget about presents to give to their niece Seol either. Eun was in his quarters searching for any toy that he thought that Seol will like and putting them in the boxes that servants held it open for him. Jung remember that he loved to play with his toy sword so he went back to his room to find that precious toy to give to his niece. Baek Ah was painting a portrait for Seol. Using the palace gardens as a background with all of the people that Seol will meet in it. Eun chasing Jung, he will be drawing under a tree, her parents will be sitting together holding hands, then Soon Deok and Woo Hee will be near Soo but also talking to everyone else as well. All of them hopes that their niece will like their gift.

Soon Deok & Woo Hee

Similar to the princes, the future aunts of Seol, Soon Deok and Woo Hee were also excited to meet this new royal.

To Soon Deok, it was such a surprise that the prince that her father had taught and whom she had thought to know well actually had managed to keep such a secret and not have them suspected anything. When she thinks about it, having your own child taken away will hurt you in a way that she could never truly understand. It does explain how the prince grew more and more colder, brutal and harsher. How he completely isolate himself from others, she even remember once seeing the prince turning his head away at the mere sight of young children.

Now that she thinks about it, since that scene in Shinju occurred a year ago, it must have been after the prince's daughter had been presumed to be dead. Looking at young children must have been painful. Not to mention how much Lady Soo, her Agasshi must have suffered. Unable to tell anyone of her sorrow, not being able to be near someone about her child, and grieving for her child all in complete secrecy. That must have put a strain on her body even before the poisoning during last year's exorcism rite.

Soon Deok was just glad that both the prince and Agasshi now had their daughter back to them alive, and can live together with their daughter. Sure in the eyes of others, their daughter will simply a ward of the 4th prince, but maybe a time will come when Seol Agasshi will be recognized as the firstborn child of the 4th prince. For now she will look forward to meeting a child created between perhaps the only truly loving couple that she knew.

Woo Hee on the other hand was worried. As a princess herself, she knew better than anyone the cruelty of the palace, not to mention how quickly the tides in the royal courts can change. She was worried about all the possible ways that the presence of Seol can hurt the man who truly cared about her like a family, and his wife who accepts her as a sister without any hesitation. She will think that these two were being naive but Woo Hee knew that these two were painfully realistic but they also still held hope, love and belief in their hearts. But she was also truly happy for them.

They, Wang So and Hae Soo, had their daughter back. A family that they lost had come back, and Woo Hee wishes for them to be happy, and for there to be place for her as well in this new family.

Now that she thinks about it, she realized that the paternal and maternal-like behaviour not to mention the couple's extreme concern for safety made sense. They were parents and in the absence of their daughter, seeing her without a family, they sometimes treat her like their own daughter. No matter how scared she was of the future, Woo Hee still was doing everything she can to prepare Byul for the arrival of the hidden royal child. Double checking her rooms, making sure that only the most trustworthy servants were assigned the task of taking care of Seol and so forth. She will do what she can to help this family live happily.

Crown Prince Wang Mu

Across the palace, the Crown Prince Wang Mu were also thinking about his younger brother, Wang So. All the things that he learnt about him that he did not know before, the things that he had never expected. For So to find someone that cared for him for himself not because of his royal blood. That his wife was such a lovely lady that had forgiven him and know love him, he was truly thankful about that. Not to mention how much of a support his sister-in-law was to him.

Now the existence of a hidden daughter. If these two had known each other from long before they had officially been introduced in Songak, their quick marriage and the ease in their behaviours around each other made sense. He could not wait to meet his new niece, a hidden part of his brother So, and most likely the reason So was so protective of children.

Taejo

At Cheonjokdeon, Wang Geon was thinking about his fourth son and his wife's behaviour over the past months in a new light. The reason So had went after the kidnappers even when he was poisoned, it was because Soo was already a person of such importance to him. The request for marriage, no doubt both of them had realized that they wish to be together regardless of how they met. The slight sadness in their eyes that he had witness when they saw young children, they were thinking of their dead daughter.

The prayer stones that his daughter-in-law visits almost daily. It was the visit of a mother to her daughter. He had heard that it was So that originally piled the stones together, so he had grieved in silence, and even built a monument for his daughter. The first time he had heard the name 'Seol' in that letter with the arrow, the reason that both of them had gotten so weak, it was a shock from hearing a name that they had most likely not have uttered for so long. As a father who had lost children, he completely understood the need to sometimes not speak out a name in order to not be hurt further. When he had witnessed their embrace before the stones, now it was clear that they both of them had been thinking of their daughter as they stare at the stones made in her name.

All these actions, it was obvious to him that So and Soo truly care about their daughter very very deeply. But he could not allow this granddaughter that he had never met to be officially be part of the royal family, no not at this time. However he was truly looking forward to meeting this child and wonder just how she looks and behaves.

Wang So

He was on his knees in a public market. But that was not the important thing, the words that came out of his daughter Seol's mouth was.

"Why Seol-ah," he asks in a small whisper, locking his eyes into her small ones, and holding her tiny hands in his. "Why did you say you want to hide your face? What is the need for that? No..I won't allow you to hide with a mask when I know the pain attached with such an action even if you think that you are helping." He was pleading for Seol to understand, that she did not need to sacrifice herself in anyway to protect him or her mother. No, they should be the one to protect her, not her protecting them.

"Appa," even the joy over hearing that word did not let him forget what was happening, "It is for all of us. It's like a game, Appa. Omma, it is a prank." Now Seol was looking at Soo, that was sitting right next to them on a low stool and her hands were silently Seol's hair. But Soo's face was obvious. It was filled with sadness and pain. "I get to be the new mystery in the palace, but no one will know who I actually am. I look just like you, Omma, I don't want anyone to guess the truth. Appa, I'm fine, besides I thought you will be happy that you will not have to fight with any boys over me, not till I take off the mask."

This girl. She was just as selfless as her mother, but her arguments were so much like his. With logic and hitting right on people's weak points. A glance at Soo, and seeing the resignation on her face, he knew that he will not be able to do anything. His queen and princess will be the only one that could make him give up arguments so quickly. Sighing he gets up from the ground, then, silently lifts Seol up in his arms before heading towards the decorative fabric face clothes at the edge of the parlor. He was only buying one mask. Just one. If Seol truly want to wear a mask and want a variety, he will have them made by the royal tailor.

Seol

She could not remember the last time she had smiled as much or had this much fun. It was just a single trip to the market on the way to the palace, but this single trip was filled with so much happiness all because she was finally where she belonged.

With her parents. It was not that she had never thought of 14th prince and Lady Muhye as her parents, but it was still different than being with her birth parents. If this one day fill her with so much warmth, she wonders what it will be like when she will live with them. But she can think about that later, now she will let herself relax and let her more childish side come out and bask in her parent's love. Soon when they reach near the palace, she will wear a hood to cover herself before going to her new home. Byul, her parent's residence in the Goryeo Palace.