Impending

The World They Create Together

Taejo

Sometimes his people got him truly tired. He was prepared to fight the greedy and power-hungry ones from the very beginning but as he grew older year by year, he had began to question some of his choices he had made when he was younger. Though he knew it was too late for him to do much about it. Perhaps one of the only things he could do was to prepare everyone and advise those more dear to his heart so that they will not make the same mistakes that he did, that they would not despair over their choices like he had done.

But life did have a way for even an aging king to find pleasure. One of those pleasures came from a most surprising place. From Byul. Inside this abandoned little corner of the palace where his 4th son, his Wang So lives with his family. Wang So, the child that heavens had been most cruel towards but he had also been given blessings from the heavens as well. At least that is what he like to think Lady Hae Soo was to his son. An innocent and loving woman who was solely devoted to her husband and not caring about his position, power, or wealth. She was a rare kind of woman and he couldn't help but be thankful that his son that found her and she had agreed to be his wife. Especially when he thought back to the disastrous beginnings of their acquaintance with each other, which he had only learnt recently. But that encounter resulted in the birth of his granddaughter, Seol, so it was not all as terrible as it could be. Besides he thought that living with the reality of their child's death had been enough of a punishment for the shameful thing that his son had committed towards Hae Soo.

"His Majesty is entering!"

It seemed like while he had been lost in thoughts, they had arrived at Byul. Usually he would rather make a trip to Byul without a huge crowd but when he had heard that his daughter-in-law who had been bedridden for a month after she had woken up, had been guaranteed permission from the Head Royal Doctor to move out of her rooms, he could not wait much longer had thus had decided to head over for a visit as soon as possible. Rather than paying any sort of attention to the courtyard full of kneeling servants and slaves, he made his way towards where three of the royal guards were standing waiting for him. He nod to acknowledge them and get them to stand straight.

"Where are they?"

"It is this way, Pyeha." The one to the left answers, it was the older one. San, that was his name. Silently he follows behind them to the inner areas, where he knew the more spacious rooms were located as he had learnt during his previous visits. He will get answers to all of his concerns directly from his daughter-in-law now. A month of second-hand information was more than enough.

Hae Soo

It was nice. After a month and more of being surrounded all around by people that panicked over every little thing, it was nice to be in a relatively empty room. It was one of the room that was more secluded but it was a nice place to have tea with the King.

After she had woken up, all she could remember was being around doctors and not allowed to move off the bed, except to go to the washroom, and the maids were the ones that was helping her wash up and change. She had not been allowed to even pour tea or sit up by herself. And rather than listening to the words that she had spoken, they were all trusting the opinions of the doctors more than hers. She was shaken after the poisoning so she had been alright with this treatment for a week or so, but after that it had slowly gotten more tiring. But now she was free from that room.

It did not mean that she was free to walk around on her own, no she still had to have at least two guards and one other adult with her at all times but at least she could move around her house again. Not to mention, she could finally have a mother-daughter time with Seol.

Her precious Seol, who had gone through her own ordeal and sadly had not came out of it completely cured. Her young body was sensitive, and now according to the doctor, she had now developed a serious case of allergy to peach. Apparently the poison in the biscuit had been mixed into the filling which had been made with peaches. Her body had now associated peaches with poison so it was now dangerous for her to eat them or even smell them.

That's how they had realized it, when Seol had sniff a peach then immediately had started to cough and her little hands had turned rosy and she felt the need to scratch her skin all over. Luckily, Doctor Jin had been close by and he had been able to give her some medicine quickly. When her prince had learnt it was peaches that had been the cause, Eun-nim and Jung-nim had quickly went out and personally made sure that there was no hint of peaches or their scent anywhere in Byul anymore.

As for her hurting arm, that quickly had healed as Doctor Hong predicted it was just a case of bruises. However, the real damage, the real pain that poisoning had done was to her mind, specifically her memories that she had from the future.

The high fever she had suffered had apparently affected her brain in someway that her memories were now fuzzy. Seol knew who she had been, who each person in her family was, but she had to relearn their faces. And she had also forgotten a lot of details about her past life. In a way, it was a good thing. No matter how much it was confusing for Seol right now, at least she was free from the painful memories that she gained in her past a little bit. To her daughter, all the things that happened to her in her past life were now nothing more than an afterthought. She hated to think that poison had helped her in any way but it was the truth. Now her Seol could live a bit more freely, have an escape from her own painful memories and enjoy her second life. Actually be a child and have fun without bearing any big burdens.

Perhaps that was the reason, that Soo and So were both more protective over her. She had suffered enough due to them, for them. That's why more than before they were keeping her close to them. Turning a little, in the seat besides her, sitting in a pale lilac hanbok with white flowers with her eyes staring at the door was her daughter Seol.

"Are you excited, Seol-ah?" All she got in response was the frantic nodding of her little head as she starts at the door. Even if she could not see her face due to the face mask with purple butterflies, she could tell that Seol is smiling. Why wouldn't see be excited? Today was the first time that she was getting to see her grandfather at least for this new Seol. It was exciting to meet someone that you only heard stories about. Especially if they are someone special which Pyeha certainly is.

Taejo

A glance was enough. A simple glance when he had entered the room had let him know that it was true. His hidden granddaughter had forgotten many things. Before she had stood confidently and had given him a bow with a relaxed posture. Now, that little girl who had to hide her beautiful face even if she did not have to, was still and he could see the tiny trembles around her shoulders as she bows.

This sight more than anything really struck him and made him realize just how much he had grown to care about these two ladies. More than any of his daughter-in-laws, Hae Soo is his daughter and Seol was perhaps one of his most precious granddaughter. As he acknowledges their bows, and could now look at the two faces in front of him, he knew more than ever, why his 4th Prince had been so distant in court lately. Because no matter how they want to hide it, their exhaustion and pain were clear in their eyes. If he had seen this face and the signs of tiredness everyday, even he would have snapped and let his control over his temper slip a little. But his 4th, knew the consequences of being out of control, that must be why he had been more silent than usual lately.

"Welcome Pyeha. I am truly glad to see you and I am so sorry for having worried you so much."

"It's alright. I should be the one to offer apologizes." But before he could continue, Hae Soo interrupts him again.

"No. There is no need for apologizes. I know the situation very well, Pyeha. Rather than these things, I wish for us to bring comfort for you not to become burden. Please sit down, I will make tea, and let you enjoy your time with Seol."

Perhaps this was the reason he felt his burden ease a little. This young lady rather than feel pleased over having a powerful man apologize, she rather be a comfort to that man instead. Perhaps, the heavens had sent her to him and to his 4th son in order for them to heal. It did not really matter much. He was a selfish man that let his ambitions rule over his heart. If in his old age, he has receiving a little bit of warmth despite his sins. He was going to enjoy it. Thus he took his seat, and look at his granddaughter and let himself be an average grandfather for a while. Not a king.

Wang So

He was on edge. It did not matter how much Hae Soo and his brothers tries to reassure him and offer to help him. Until he could deal with the threats against his people, it will be hard for him to relax. But at least, Soo has been getting better, his unborn children were alright, and her due date was fast approaching. Even Seol had been getting better.

Her shyness around him had eased up. All she could remember was his status as a king and an uncle that had been kind to her, not what they had been like as a family. But at least, this terrible burden of knowing terrible things was mostly gone. His daughter only remembered basic facts from her past life, such as who was who, or why she like that person but hated another. Luckily she did not remember the details of her life with that Kim scoundrel, only that it had been hurtful and she wished to avoid him. That was enough. One painful life was enough for his loved ones. In this life, all he wanted was to make amends and fix his mistakes and be happy.

He knew that there was one important but terrible thing that he had to do soon. Something that his queen will not like but it cannot be helped. For her sake, he will deliver the punishment to the ones that had dared to hurt her and his precious family. The general had let him know that the book was almost at the end, at most he will have three days before he will face them. At least those people deserved to face his wrath. His temper that had been slipping with every glance at the noble officials, at his Eomoni's face, at the quiet pain in the eyes of his wife and his daughter. It will be a bloodbath, that much he knew. But how and just how much of a mess he will create, that was something he did not know. All he could hope was that none of his people will see him in that cell and treat him as a beast. That was something he could not bear.

Seol

To wake up and have so many things in her head hurts. More than she could ever say it out loud. It was like there were two voices that kept on showing her different pictures and she didn't know which was right. But there was one thing that was the same between the two voices.

It was that feeling that she will always be safe with the 4th prince. That he will protect her and love her no matter what. And it did not matter which voice was shouting at her inside her head, all the images that she remembered of him had been happy ones. Waiting for him at their lake wanting to show him that she is wearing the hairpin that he gave her. How when she was with the 4th prince, it was like she was in another world where it did not matter what bad things were happening to her and she had seen it happen, she knew this man will do all that he can to help her.

That strange feeling of trust towards him, something she could tell no three or four year old were for sure. But she was not little, no she felt like she was older somehow or maybe she was just really smart like everyone around her had kept on saying ever since she woke up in a room that was surrounded by people that she did not know but had a feeling that they cared for her. That was especially true when she met parents.

Parents that she knew that she longed for. The ones that she wanted to see, to be with, the ones that she felt like to be the ones that she could completely be herself without worrying. Perhaps that explained how easy it had been for her to find herself in this house. To follow their wishes, to be able to hug and kiss them without worrying about it much.

But even then, it got tiring in that place when her mother could not get out of bed, her father while he could be with her, he was constantly called away for one thing or another. Her aunts and uncles were fun but they couldn't be with her all the time. That's why she sneak out of Byul when there were only servants that were watching her. She didn't go far, she didn't want her parents to worry. She only went to the lake with stone towers. It was not that far. Besides right next to that tree, there was always a surprise waiting for her. That person was always there no matter when she took off and it was exciting to meet someone without her parents around.

Now as she walk closer to the lake, she could see him waiting. Her dad's big brother who loves to wear earrings, who always let her just rant to him about anything. Who asks her questions and let her talk about her parents as much as she wants and since he was family, she didn't have to worry about keeping secrets about who she was.