Wang Family Dinner

The World They Create Together

Wang So

A family dinner. He could not remember ever having a happy one, but this one by far has been the best. The antics of his younger brothers were entertaining all of them, and the fact that their antics were making both Soo and Seol laugh, that was enough for him to smile. His father had gathered the entire royal family for a meal and all of them were here. The concubines, the in-laws, and also the honourable families. The General was here with Soon Deok, as was Woo Hee who as his adopted sister was part of the family, similar to the reason that Seol was here, as his adopted ward. At least whoever had set the table at the king's request had made sure that his family and his young brothers were seated together and close enough to the King. Looking around the table with his eyes as he ate, he simply take note on the others.

The king's many wives were all seated with their clan members and their conversation was full of pleasantries but hidden with a few daggers in between. Just as always. The court officials that were also the royal in-laws were similar to the royal ladies. Either silently observing, trying to pass along compliments to the more prominent members of the royal family, or engaging in mind games through words. No one from Hong Ha Jin Hae was here, and luckily he did not see any of his two mother's clans, nor that treacherous clan of that boy. The fact that he had not heard from any of the clans yet, meant that they were all still making plans on how to deal with him. That was fine for now, and if they did anything strange, he had enough eyes in the palace to let him know about t.

His brothers and Yeon Hwa, they were all wearing their most stunning clothes and were behaving well with each other. But the glare on the 3rd's face, the hint of darkness on 8th, the periodic mocking smile on the 9th as they glance at him was enough to know the truth. He did not miss the fact that Yeon Hwa was twitching her cheeks. She was planning something but just what was something that she had not decided yet. Those years had been enough for him to read her.

Now the two primary queens, they were both sitting with regal air around them. Perhaps the Queen Hwangbo may seem to be more kind, but that was just like the mask that her daughter, Yeon Hwa wears. She had practically ignored the greetings of Hae Soo. Forget all about her daughter-in-law who had helped her family so much in just a couple of months, no it was more like a couple of days. His Eomoni and her were more similar than they realized. Both of them placing their favoured children above all others, and only caring about the usefulness of someone. Just like his mother had ignored their greetings, and did not even touch the gift that his wife had brought them.

Lastly, his father sitting with a slight smile on his face, as he converse with Ji Mong and the General. At least he had good friends within them both. He truly wish that his father will have something in his last years so that he will not think of his life as a complete waste as he previously did. The fact that Court Lady Oh was alive and even now pouring him tea may help with that fact. He knew that sometimes a simple gesture was enough to keep a heart beating, just as he had endured those years in the past with the memories of her voice and behaviour.

The meal was pleasant overall, but he will wait to find out the true reason behind this meal for a little more. If his father or mother were anything alike, it was that they used the time of tea as the time for announcements or important conversations. And it will soon be tea time.

Hae Soo

She was nervous. She had never been part of a true royal meal before. She had just been a court lady, and all the meals she took with her king had been in private. The frequent tea gathering with other royal ladies did not count. With the presence of men, not to mention the King, it was an entirely different situation.

But she was keeping her head held high, and had decided to just deal with all the hidden battles taking around the large table as a background noise, and just act with care but still enjoy a meal with her family. Also being careful to not look at the queens or the princess, as she never know what will happen if she establish an eye contact. If they said one wrong word about either her prince or her daughter, she know that she will not be able to control her tongue. Her pregnancy was filling her body with hormones and her censor as a result had become a bit out of control so she did not want to risk a mood-swing happening.

At last the meal was over, and tea was being brought in. This was more familiar to her. Making sure that Seol was able to hold her tea cup properly and watching her take a sip, she turns around to take the pot in front of her, and pours it for her prince. The familiar actions that she did everyday was soothing in this tense environment.

"Lady Hae," setting the teapot down, she turns to face her father-in-law then bows her head.

"Ye, Pyeha."

"I had my favorite tea brewed by Court Lady Oh. I want you to also drink the same blend." Not seeing any reason to refuse, and why would she? She silently places her cup closer to the edge of the table where Court Lady Oh was holding the pot in her hands. Smiling at her as a thank you, she takes a sip of the King's favourite tea. A flutter. Did she feel that? Taking another sip. Nothing. It must have been her imagination, So she simply continue to drink the tea. Setting the cup down on the table, she turns to thank the King.

"Thank you for your benevolence, Your Majesty. Your tastes are truly….Ah" She places her hand on her stomach, and folds her body over so that her stomach was protected. Aigoo, that was a strong kick. Not really kicks, they seemed to be even more flutters. Her children, they were alive. They were healthy, if the strength in their kicks was any indication. And they seemed to love the wild plant tea of their grandfather it seems.

"Soo-ya. Soo-ya. What happened?"

"Noonim, are you alright?"

"Doctor, quickly call the doctor. Soo-ya."

"Agasshi, please look up. Is your stomach hurting?"

"Hurry and get the royal doctor, Ji Mong"

The voices of people around her filters in, and she can feel the prince's hands on her shoulder, trying to get her to look up, and there were small hands on her knees. Her family was truly prone to overreacting. She did not want them to harass the royal doctor either, so she let her body relax, and lifts her head up and smile when she sees the sight in front of her. She is surrounded on all sides, her body hidden from view of all the others on the table. Crunching down in front of her was her husband, whose eyes were full of concern, and right next to him was Seol, her eyes clearly full of fear, and she knew that she was biting her lips behind her mask.

"Hwanjanim, I am alright. There is no reason to call the doctor." He still did not believe her and he was preparing for a fight to convince her. Leaning forward, she told him as quietly as she could, "your children were just moving, Hwangjanim. They are really strong and healthy."

That look of wonder. It always made her fall more and more in love with him. Her lover was really someone who had the greatest capability to love. The prince was now slowly extending a hand which she could see was slightly trembling on top of her stomach. And like they felt the presence of their father, there was another set of kicks. The prince was just staring at his hand in wonder, and when he lifts his head up, she can see the slight signs of tears in his eyes.

"Hwangjanim?" At Seol's puzzling voice, the prince silently takes hold of her hand, and also place it on her stomach. The twins were once again kicking, just tiny flutters but it seemed that they knew that their older sister was here.

"Lady Hae, are you alright?" Looking up at the sound of her father-in-law, the daze around her broke. , she was at a royal family dinner, and the three of them were in their own world. Looking around she saw that her friends were surrounding her and was looking at her in concern. Even the General was looking at her with a clear look of concern on his face. Her face was burning. She can't believe that she had been the cause of such a huge concern. Her tongue was tied as well so she simply look down at her stomach, where Seol's tiny hands were still pressed on top.

"My apologizes for worrying you, Pyeha. My wife is alright, she had just bitten her tongue by mistake. Please forgive us for the disturbance." The prince as always was speaking in cold and deep voice, as he bowed his head to the king. Her pregnancy was still a secret, not till the King himself announce it.

She could see the look of disgust on the face of Queen Yoo. This woman was truly impossible to comprehend. Compassion was clearly something that the 4th prince and 14th prince got from their father or they had nurture it on their own because it could not be from their mother.

Lifting her head to look at the King, she smiles at him, hoping that he will understand that she was truly fine. The slight nod of the King's head was enough to let the tension disappear, and she sent reassuring looks to the young princes, Woo Hee and Soon Deok, as well as the Crown Prince and finally they all took back their seats.

As the court ladies once again approach the table with tea and snacks, the atmosphere return to the way it was previously. She silently guides Seol back onto her chair between her and Woo Hee, and she sits down in her sheet.

Hiding her gesture from the others, she places her hands on her stomach just slightly. The fluttering had decreased but this feeling will not fade away anytime soon. And if she knew the 4th prince at all, he will be keeping an eye on her, and his constant requests for her to take it easy will increase, not to mention she will be surrounded by many people who will keep an eye on her. But she did not want to think too much right now, she will have enough time at night after this royal affairs to think. For now, she goes back to drinking her tea, though only in small amounts. She did not want the twins to start to kick strongly, not here where she could not show her emotion openly.

Taejo's announcements

"I am glad that all of you are here. I brought the royal family together to make a few announcements."

"First to celebrate the rain, we will hold a prince's wedding. The bride will be Park Soon Deok, the daughter of Grand General Park. The groom will be the 10th Prince Wang Eun. We will set the date soon."

"Now, secondly, to the 4th prince Wang So. I gift you the lands around your private residence Byul and Lake Dongii. Also your future children will not be raised under the rules of the palace, you may choose their guards and have a say in their education and their future spouse."

"Thirdly, to my daughter-in-law Lady Hae Soo, I will grant you the title of Princess. You are now my adopted daughter as a reward to your service to the Crown, as well as being a source for utmost joy for me in my old age. I look forward to playing with my grandchildren in a couple of months."

"Lastly, there are recently many dissatisfaction between the royal family and the clan, thus I will soon set aside a date where I will personally listen to your requests. A similar day for the citizens will also be organized before the Ninth Lunar Festival. That is all."