Silent Reflection

The World They Create Together

The King

Silently in his private chamber, he sit as he contemplates all the things that he had learnt over the past two weeks. The two weeks since the attack at Damiwon. The royal guards were still silently barricading the palace from all sides, keeping track of all the movements in the castle, especially the servants. They still haven't found the hidden shooters but Wang Geon knew that it will be soon. Then he will have someone to get some answers from. The danger of the throne was something that he knew, even the danger that it posed to his sons, but attacking them again in the same day, that meant a more deeper grudge than a simple revenge ploy to be executed by a goon-for-hire.

General Park has truly been dissatisfied with all the guards that he had been re-training them. The fact that there had been four times that an assassin had entered into the palace was a huge concern. On the other hand, this new training by General Park will lead to an increase in security which he will not complain about. Ji Mong also had all of his informants go undercover to every corner of Goryeo, checking all the clans. The clans were too smart, they would have gotten rid of any evidence a long time ago, but Ji Mong's investigation was bringing some hidden information on all the clans. He knew that Ji Mong had simply memorized those details, and he could trust the Astronomer. Because he was first and foremost, loyal to the King.

Palace politics had been the same as ever, similar to governing the nation, perhaps the different thing was that these two weeks had also been a time of mourning. The wife of his 8th son, Wook had passed away over two weeks ago. Dying during the last snowfall of the winter, and now all around them, there were signs of spring. Soon, there will be flowers, and the palace will be filled with the colors of the wild once again. Similar to reports on the hidden investigation, he also received reports about his family.

The 3rd prince and 9th prince were still the same as ever, there had been no change in their behaviour, thus they had not been affected by the late Lady Hae's death. To them it was just a part of life. Wook and Yeoh Hwa were perhaps grieving silently. Both of them had visited Lady Hae's grave but any other signs of sadness had been hidden from public eye.

But those who were not hiding their grievances at all would be Hae Soo, Soo-buin as she prefers to be address, and Lady Hae's childhood friend, Baek Ah, his 13th son. According to the various servants, both of them had been drinking together every night at his 4th son's residence. Apparently it was now referred to as 'Byul'. Baek Ah had not visited his mother in two weeks and the King had received messages that asked him to talk to his son. But the King knew grief, he had to wait it out till his son was ready to return back to his normal routine. Though they were not as devastated as Hae Soo and Baek Ah, his other sons were also grieving in their own way. He knew that the 4th prince was the one always providing Beak Ah and Hae Soo, a place where they could get drunk in privacy while also supporting them along with Eun and Jung. Such as they moving their drunk brother to the guest quarters to sleep every night.

He did not know it was possible but his 4th son's So's caring actions towards his wife was spreading through rumors and the citizens have become aware of his 4th son's behaviour. As a result, the 4th's reputation as an unfeeling human being was diminishing. Why would an uncaring man care about his wife or his half-brother? Now it seems like he was known more as a 'wolf-dog' due to the rumors of his massacres and the mask, but there were some citizens that thought that there must be a human side to him as well. It was something that he did not foresee, but he guessed that being married to that bright and cheerful child had a great effect of making his son relax and seem more approachable.

Thinking about their marriage, his son, So was more politically savvy that he thought. He knew that he did not have any teaching in Shinju beyond the required ones, but when he was standing in front of him, arguing with him to obtain permission to marry Hae Soo, he was truly amazed. He had thrown what seemed like the most out-stretched excuses to him, and his son had countered it back at him, the King, without hesitation. That was the moment he was finally relieved. For he did not know when but the hidden future king of his nation was ready to fight in the battlefield and in the political field. But the real test for his sons will begin now.

He could no longer push back his plans, or at least the initial part of it back. Tomorrow morning will be perhaps the first time, he will have all eight of his grown sons in the court at the same time. He will see how the officials react when their 4th prince enters the royal courtroom.

Wang So

It was funny. Today will be the first time, at least in the eyes of the others, that he will be officially entering the royal court in the presence of officials, but to him it will be like going back to a familiar playground. Though instead of being the head, he will once again be one of many small players on the field. But he look forward to seeing the faces of those old officials again. Nobles who will not know that they were trying to match wits against someone who had ruled over them and knew all of their secrets. It was going to be quite interesting.

Getting out of the bath, he puts on his plain gold mask and his black underclothes and make his way to the makeup room. Even if he knew that he could take off his mask, he did not want to do that. Those nobles and ministers should learn to deal with the man whether he had on a mask or not. Besides his bare face will be too distracting for them.

As he opens the door, he sees a sight that always brings him joy and start his heart beating. His Soo-ya. He knew that the pain in her heart will never complete diminish after her cousin's death but he knew that she had gotten better, along with Baek Ah. Their loss will remain, but their lives will continue on. Today it seems like Soo had gotten dressed before him as her hair was already set. She was in one of the hanboks that she had brought with her to Byul. He knew many of them were re-creation of the hanboks in her past life. Soo had told him that all these clothing that were associated with sadness, will now be associated with happiness, it was apparently a way to heal a woman's heart. It did not matter to him, as long as his Soo was happy and safe.

"Soo-ya." As his wife dress in her white top with multiple red shade skirt with a dark red-purple belt(the outfit right after Court Lady Oh's death) turns towards him, he could see her eyes roaming over his figure. It never fail to give him a boost that his appearance brought that light blush upon her face. He made his way towards her and lean down to steal a kiss. At her surprised face, all he could do was smiling and he got her beautiful smile in return. "My Soo-ya."

"Yes, my Seobang." She replies as his wife bends down to pick up his official court hanbok, and hands it over to him then help put it on him. The simple act of her dressing him up, and when he could help tie her ties and belts, those moments were perhaps one of the best thing about his mornings right behind waking up with her sleeping in his arms.

"What are you planning to do today?" Soo hands him the official gold belt and as he puts it on, Soo takes his hands and leads him to sit down in what he thinks of as his makeup seat. It was after his beautiful wife starts to brush his hair, that she replies.

"Today, I'm going to Damiwon. Just like a good wife of a prince, I am going to drink tea with the Queens and concubines."

"Rather than being a prince's wife, you are the wife of Wang So. That's all you ever need to be. Is Soon Deok going to be with you?" He looks at Soo directly in the eye through the mirror, as he says it. Soo was a beautiful person, there was no need for her to change except, maybe her trouble making ways, but she will not be the woman he loves without her trouble magnet tendencies.

"Yes. She is looking forward to talking with her older sister. I'm also trying to make Eun-nim notice her, but he is really slow in the matters of the heart." Her complaints, no matter how small, it was nice to hear them. The faces that she made during her tirade was always so cute. "There, my dear prince, you are ready." His hair has been set and his mask was in place. Standing up from the chair, he embraces his wife in a hug. He knew that it will be a long day today, and there was no shame in wanting to savour her warmth when he could.

"Please make sure to be careful, don't get angry, nor hold any grudges towards anyone from before. These are all new people. Remember that you are a prince, not the king. Make sure that none of the princes make a mistake in court." Of course, her lectures. How could he ever go anywhere without those. Pulling away from her, he look at the face in front of him, his beloved Soo.

"I adore you, Soo-ya. Don't worry, I will be fine." Then with a quick goodbye kiss, he walks out of the room. His mind and heart were both at peace as he crosses the threshold of the room. He wraps his aura of silent strength around him, the moment he is walking out of Byul and make his way to the royal court.