Before the Ritual

The World They Create Together

Hae Soo

She couldn't help it. Her hand was constantly going to touch her stomach. Where her babies were growing. Her children, her twins with her lover. With her 4th Prince who will be with her, will be going through her pregnancy together. It was such an unbelievable thing that she was constantly checking to make sure that it was real.

But no matter how happy she felt, this increase in level of fussing over her is annoying her. From the moment that the doctor had announced it yesterday, she had been surrounded by congratulations as well as remarks of caution.

The King was the first to congratulate her, and thank her for such a happy news during this time of drought. But he did not forget to mention to her that he will make sure that all of her medication would be delivered and Ji Mong will make sure to let him know if she was not caring about her health as she should be. Then the King had exit the room, followed by Ji Mong, who had assured them that he will personally make sure that the lives of the unborn royals would be protected by utilizing all of his resources to make sure that Soo took care of her health and that she will be protected. Then it was her friends that surrounded her.

All around people were congratulating them, the princes were already making plans on who will be the favourite Uncle among them. Not to mention that they had promised her that they will visit her every single day, and that if she needed anything, that all she had to do was tell them and they will get it. Apparently, if the young princes had their way, she will spend her pregnancy being surrounded by people taking care of her, and will not be allowed to do much unless absolutely necessary.

Soon Deok has loudly declared that she will inform her father about this matter, and from tomorrow, Soo will be protected everywhere she went. Apparently, she will even bring a live sword into the palace, just in case. Oh, then she was not allowed to scare them like today ever again, that she has to inform her the moment she feels a change in her health. She was happy that Woo Hee had finally called her by her name, when congratulating her, but then when she had added her own bit about Woo Hee being there with her constantly and that she had to let her know about any changes or cravings that she felt that happy feeling being faded. After all that she had finally been left alone in the room alone with her husband who had till then had just stare at her in absolute silence.

But the moment the doors closed, she had been swept up in such a tight embrace and was thanked over and over again by him for granting him a family. For being alright, for being here, for staying with him. Seeing the prince so stunned due to the overwhelming happiness was a sight that she will always remember. Their children already had the ability to rob their father of words, she wonders what her husband will be like when they would be born and be with them physically, she knew that her children will be surrounded by the all-consuming love of their father. Not to mention surrounded by many uncles who would be fighting over who will get to spoil them or play with them. And maybe a doting grandfathers as well.

That is the life she had wished that she could have given Seol in the previous world. But here she is now given a chance for her to give that happy life to these unborn children of hers. Whom she could not help but to think of them as the younger siblings of their Seol. Perhaps she will ask Woo Hee to tell her tales once her stomach grows and the babies start to kick so they could hear all about their older sister that they will never know or meet.

"Agasshi what's the matter? Do you feel something? Or need something?" Hearing Soon Deok's voice she turns to where she was sitting in one of the small pavilions in Byul, as they took their tea. Woo Hee also turns to look at her, and now Soo had two pair of eyes that were looking at her just daring her to lie about what she was feeling.

This routine was going to grow old really fast, but she had no hope in stopping them either. As a soft wind touches her face, she realize that she was feeling a bit different, and she didn't know but she had a craving. Well they were the ones that were asking her, she should use this opportunity to get something.

"I don't know, I do feel a little hot, but that's the weather. I do actually want to eat something."

"Hot? But any change in your temperature can be bad, wait here Agasshi, I will go get some cold water, and a fan." Soon Deok stands up and just quickly run towards the kitchen.

"What did you feel like eating Soo Agashhi?" She turns with a slight frown on her face to Woo Hee, who had also stood up from her chair.

"Woo Hee-ya, I told you it is Soo. Anyway, I feel like eating Patingsu (shaved ice with red bean paste) but also some mooncakes." Well that was closest she will get to ice cream or cupcakes in the Goryeo dynasty. Now if she will get her cravings will be another matter as she knew both desserts took time to make especially Patingsu with the lack of water due to the drought right now. But Woo Hee did not even blink at her outrageous request instead, she simply smiles at her before replying.

"I will go to Damiwon to ask Court Lady Oh to prepare your desserts. I will let Orabeoni also know what your cravings are so he can make sure that he have some available." Who did she think she was, trying to make Woo Hee nervous? Woo Hee, the calm and rational pragmatic that was just like her prince in some ways.

"Agasshi," and here was Soon Deok back with a fan in one hand, and following behind her was one of the kitchen maids, who held a glass of water along with a bowl of ice. The maid quickly set the tray down and take her leave before Soo can thank her but it did not matter. The sight of that cold water was all she now seems to need so she takes the glass and chugs it down. At the same time, she feels a slight wind on her face, and see that Soon Deok has start to fan her. Woo Hee once she had personally saw that she had drank the water, starts to get up to leave when they are interrupted by sound of a loud voice loudly calling her name.

Chae Ryung. It was Chae Ryung running as fast as she can towards the pavilion, and by the look on her face, she had news. Soo knew that the selection for the master of the rain ritual was this morning, which she had to actually push her prince to go as he was very reluctant to leave her side. When Chae Ryung has finally reached the pavilion, she bends over to catch her breath before she starts to speak.

"Agasshi, the palace and the court is all in an uproar. The rain ritual, there were three princes selected. There are multiple ceremonies that are going to happen in a single day. Everyone is in a state of confusion about what will happen tomorrow, not to mention now there will be multiple entourage going through the streets."

"Who are the masters of ceremonies?" Soo asks, a multiple masters of ceremonies meant that for the prince who succeeds it will be a great glory, but for the one that fails it will be a shame in their name. It had all the makings of a future bloodshed and deals to sure that the only master of ceremony to actually complete the ceremony will be the one that the court officials supports. She knew the palace politics, no matter how much she detests it, as she was at the side of three kings and the lover of the fourth.

"Agasshi, the 8th prince is one of them, just as I told you people truly respects him and he is said to be the best gentleman in Songak. The 3rd prince was also selected like many people expected. But the most surprising was the fact that the first to be selected was the 4th prince. The 4th prince, Agasshi."

"Woo Hee-ya, Soon Deok-ah, let's get our ceremonial clothes out. We are going to attending the ritual tomorrow. Chae Ryung-ah, could you tell Min Soo and Jae Hee, that we have to get Byul completely secured by tonight, also that every tea and food will be tested before anyone eats anything." Then she stands up and starts to make her way back to the main compound. The heavens have once again chosen the 4th prince to lead the rain ritual. Though the addition of two more masters of the ceremony was a surprise, it just meant that the attacks on the prince could be more severe.

She had just gotten used to the life of happiness and joy together with her Wang So-nim. No one was going to hurt her family. Definitely not the father of her twins, her guardian wolf, her prince, her lover, and her husband. She needs to get ready to make the concealer once again, for if someone used his mask as an excuse again, she will be ready to fight back. She wish that she could convince the prince to take off his mask for the ritual tomorrow, it was definitely something to talk about tonight.

Wang So

The palanquin. Once again he was in front of it. Dressed exactly the same as what he was dressed as in that first attempt to lead the ritual. The same hanbok, the same black and gold mask on his face, even his hair rather than in a sangtu was in a ponytail that held all of his hair together with a single white ribbon. The only difference was what he was feeling.

Before the mask was something that he felt so self-conscious about but now he had learned to accept it. He was not afraid of anything that the 3rd prince will do that will take his mask off to discourage him from the ceremony. Maybe it was the presence of two rings underneath his hanbok on a chain. He was carrying the symbol of his marriage to his Soo, as well as the ring that Seol's soul family in this word wore. Rather than being a lone wolf without anyone on his side, this time he had a family. His wife, the presence of his Seol's soul family in the rings and Woo Hee, his unborn twins, not to mention his brothers. His dongsaengs, who had came to see him, before taking their place in the ceremonial grounds.

Looking across from him, he saw that Wang Yo and Wang Wook were also standing in front of their own palanquin. The two who desired the throne in secret, now they will get a chance to feel the worship of the people. He hopes that this experience may let them see that their greed for the throne may give them power, but ultimately it was a heavy burden. Maybe this way, he would be able to see a long reign of the Crown Prince in this life. Then the vision that Soo saw was just a sign that Seol may be arriving to this world as one of his unborn children, just like Gwangjong had travelled to reach this world.

Speaking of his Soo, he knew that she was a little unhappy with him, because he did not take her offer to apply make-up. He was perhaps prideful, and digging his own grave, but this mask had been part of him for 15 years, he hoped that he will be accepted together with his mask, not just because he had hid his scar. He knew that it was a childish wish to be accepted by his mother, but he couldn't help it. He had received a second chance, his mother will be given one last chance before he also throws her away from his mind. Her poisonous ways did not have any place in the lives of Soo and his children.

"Your Highnesses, let us depart." Ji Mong was finally here and with him there were two other men, all who held the vase of water with the plant. Silently, he goes to sit on the palanquin once again as the gong sounds to signal the start of the rain ritual.