Miscalculations

The World They Create Together

To the surprise of many palace maids, the very next day after the assembly which had all the imperial princes in attendance, the palace grounds had many visitors. Queens and concubines across the palace grounds were being visited by their clan members. Though the palace maids did not know clearly, the main topic of discussion was the 4th prince's knowledge of their clan activities. Many clan members had ohoped that the royal family member of their clan had more information on the 4th prince and his wife. Sadly, almost all of these royal ladies were the ones that had been indifferent to Lady Hae thus all they could really relate to their clans was that Lady Hae was close to the Crown Prince, 10th prince, and 13th prince's families, and Queen Yoo did not like her new daughter-in-law at all. No useful information there, as these things were to be expected. Though they were informed about the rumors of the 4th prince's wife's wild behaviour, the nobles knew that it will not be enough to approach the 4th prince to gain his confidence, well some of them were smart but the others were not.

Therefore under the pretense of delivering congratulatory gifts to the 4th prince, a certain group of court officials from Southern clans made their way across the palace grounds to the residence of the 4th prince. Coincidentally, these five clan leaders had a favorable alliance with each other so they had decided to visit the 4th prince together. But it was all good as an idea, but then they ran into a problem. Just where was the 4th prince's compound? As his whereabouts was not something they had particularly cared about, all they knew was that the 4th prince lived away from Cheondeokjeon and it was near the edge of the palace grounds, but just which edge of the palace? Luckily for these court officials, they encountered a curious 10th prince.

"Greetings to the 10th prince," they bow as the prince comes up to them.

"Greetings. Where are you going with all those gifts? Was today, a day of celebration or something? Did I forget some important event?" The 10th prince was now looking curiously at the gifts. They all knew that the 10th prince was weak in his studies and rather naive, and since there was no other way, they decided to make use of that fact.

"Actually, prince, these are gifts for the 4th prince as a congratulations of his marriage, as well as to relate to him of how splendid he had handled himself in the assembly yesterday."

"Is that right? But why are you guys waiting for So-Hyungnim near the prince's quarters? He is not here."

"Oh, we were hoping to catch him after his lessons."

"I thought court officials already knew, there are no lessons today. Anyway, I'm going to meet Hyungnim so you can just follow me. I know that Hyungnim and Soo will love gifts."

Now they had a gain guide and since it was the childish and innocent 10th prince, there was absolutely nothing that will make them appear suspicious to the 4th Prince. The same thing could be said when the 13th and 14th prince joined them, the court officials were not worried about these young princes at all. So they silently followed behind the three princes, forming plans on how to talk with the 4th prince as they walk past Damiwon, the lotus pond before the long garden walkway besides the lake till they reach their destination.

Unexpectedly, the three princes were providing many information about their fourth brother, but sadly nothing that these court officials could use. The 4th prince and his wife like to go on strolls through the various palace gardens so if they could not be found then usually they were out on a walk. Why would they ever have a need to find the 4th prince? after he had accepted their deal for them to not cause a trouble due to his wife's shameful behaviour in exchange for keeping quiet about their dealing. That prayer stones was something that the 4th prince built for his wife, and just why was that an important fact to them? Then the frequent mention of bickering between the 4th prince and Lady Hae, these court officials were not interested in the status of their marital relationship. The anecdotes of the young princes gave them no useful information that they could use in negotiating a deal with the 4th prince. Before the court officials knew it they have arrived at the 4th prince's private compound was a regal made with stones and woods, and there was a sign on either side of the gate. "Byul" on the right, an excerpt of a poem in another.

"Oh, those signs. Byul is the name of this house, and Hyungnim made his marriage proposal by sending Soo that poem so she had him write it." They got the answer to their hidden question before they had even voiced it.

Entering the compound, the court officials realized that this residence was bigger than they expected, not as large as the 8th prince's residence, but still a large residence. The servants who saw the group of princes and court officials bow then one of the servants point towards the left side of the compound. The princes simply walk towards the direction that the servant points out and the court officials follow.

"Well, it seems like we are right on time for tea. I wonder what sweets we will have today?"

"My apologizes, 10th prince, but how do you know that the 4th prince is having tea."

"Because he is on this side of the residence of course. Soo said that the left side with the gardens is for tea, and the right side is for stars." That was the reply they got.

When they enter the courtyard, they see a circular table set up in the middle, where tea service was being laid. The 4th prince, Lady Hae, and the General's daughter Soon Deok was sitting down talking, as the servants sets the drinks and snacks in front of them.

"Soo-ya, Hyungnim," with a shout from the 10th prince, the princes hurry over to join the tea party, the ladies rising from their chair to offer bows of greetings, and in no time at all, the three princes were settled at the table. When the 4th prince noticed the presence of the court officials, he gestures to the servants to get more chairs and place setting.

"Greeting Your Highness." The officials bowed to the 4th prince and his wife that had no true ties to her clan, both of them outcasts of a respectable clan, but here those with actual noble blood in their veins had to bow to them. "We came to give you our gifts to you and your wife."

"Welcome, Lords. Soo-ya, these are the ministers from clans from South Goryeo." Informal speak with his lady wife, and not even mentioning their titles to his wife. Clearly the 4th prince, while he could fight with his body and words, did not know the correct manners. "Thank you for the gifts, why don't you join us for tea, I would love to talk to you all, after tea of course."

That dismissive tone that he spoke like they were not considered important next to tea time with his wife and her friend, and his younger brothers. No this prince will never be a true threat to them after they secured the deal, he had no practical political knowledge that can put them at a disadvantage. And who would refuse to having an understanding with nobles? Especially when you are just a royal due to their blood only, but would never be treated like a royal. They were 'beggar relatives' of the royal family.

During the tea party, the court officials were quiet and silently observing Lady Hae, they needed more proof on her behaviours that would shame the royal family, and what better way to get it then at the place where the wife was so relaxed, and there were plenty of servants that they could bribe to spy on them if needed. All the conversation during the tea party seemed to center on either the upcoming birthday of the 10th prince or some funny things that happened at the market. The entire time, the other side of the table from the officials is filled with laughter. The following was the information that the court officials learnt about the 4th prince and Lady Hae.

First, Lady Hae got messy very often, that sometimes she changed her outfit twice a day.

Second, many of the palace maids and the relatives of 10th and 13th prince were asking for Lady Hae to visit them to take more about makeup and skincare.

Third, that the servants was now really careful about the Lady's health and body. Apparently, the scolding that the prince had given the servants after a lost jewellery incident, had truly put fear in them. Lady Hae was complaining about how she now could not even bend down to pick something up without the servants rushing forward to stop her, same with when she tried to reach for items on the higher shelves in the kitchen.

All the court officials got was that Lady Hae was careless about her appearance, had knowledge about cosmetics enough for some of the royal wives to take an interest in her, and she regularly visit the kitchen or were bending down or reaching for stuff when royals were not supposed to move their hands unless absolutely needed. Sure these behaviours were small, and not likely to cause a scandal, but for a prince with such a shaky ground in the palace politics, it could be trouble. A threat to his position may be enough for the 4th prince to submit to the request of the court officials.

Wang So

The moment he saw those nobles, he knew they were not the ones. No, the one behind this conspiracy will never visit him. They will be making plans right now, or trying to contact their hidden assassins in the palace. The reason all the princes were spread out across the palace. He knew that his compound was now being heavily watched by the hidden royal guards. Gathering the targets in one area may make it easier for the assassins, but it will also be easier to guard them, and find the suspicious one. But that was something for the King's army to deal with for now. What he had to deal with right now were these nobles, who had came to make a deal with him in exchange for not bringing their illegal activities to light with the King.

He left Soo with Soon Deok and his dongsaengs outside, though he had made sure that the door in this room was not locked, and few of the more skilled servants were keeping an eye on what was happening outside. Sitting across the table in the meeting room, that was decorated in some way like Ji Mong's library, he stare straight at these five officials. Two of them was involved in hidden deals with Hubaekje people and were involved in trafficking more and more slaves, including private pleasure slaves. One was involved in exploiting the poor by fooling them with counterfeit objects. The other two were in league with Minister Park, and was supplying slave soldiers to the private armies, as well as wanting to increase the tax to get the slaves that they needed. Basically, these five nobles wanted to illegally acquire slaves then use them as a fall-in. If they were more cunning, the kind that could raise a group of assassins. All the officials were talking, but what So could pick out was just few things.

How lucky it was that he was in such good grace with the King that he had a private residence on palace grounds? Something he had heard so much by now that it did not even make him blink.

When did you have time to learn such skills? Shinju is not a place with many teachers. Of course wanting to find out his allies, or did someone in the royal family secretly help him. He should not have let his passion for fair treatment get in the way yesterday, but knowing that those slaves that he freed in the memory of his beloved would eventually go back to being a slave, because of the tight hold of nobles had on the throne, he could not help himself.

"4th Prince, we heard such a unique tale today. We thought it will interest you?"

"Oh, a story that I will be interested in?" So now their real purpose will be revealed, now which story will they use to blackmail him into silence? Shinju's wolf den? The origin of his scar? Some other complicated reason?

"It is about a young recently married woman. Instead of acting like a proper wife, she has been hanging around with commoners, disguising herself as a lowly servant, even doing those lowly tasks herself. Rather than taking care of her in-laws, she spends all her time out in the market moving around, and so far did not even have a simple tea with her in-laws even after two months of marriage. What an unfilial daughter-in-law since is. That too when she is an orphaned noble."

"I know that Hwangjanim do not wish for such tales to spread, think of what it will do to your status?"

"So we were hoping that we both can, look after each other."

Soo. Back to the old tactic of using Hae Soo to control him. But they did not know, that it was not possible to truly control him. To tame him for a while, but he will attack sooner or later, just like he had done to the nobles in the past. But they had forgotten, he was not just a prince with a scar, he carried the blood of the King. Unknown to them, they had threaten the mate of a wolf. The Queen of King Gwangjong, the lover of Wang So.

But he did not wish to lose control, no, these nobles had made a mistake but this mistake could be used against them. For it was him, Wang So that held the upper hand. Looking directly at the smug faced nobles in front of him, he starts to talk.

"You are really clueless or maybe you are ignorant," he said with the smile of a predator on his face. "You think such a tale will threaten me enough to keep quiet. Let me tell you, the noble clans of the South, just who you dare threaten. True, I have this face, this scarred face, but do not forget that in my veins, the blood of General Wang Geon, the ruthless tiger flows, and the blood of Cheonju Yoo through my mother. You do not wish to be enemies of both the Kangs, Yoos, and the Wangs. Not when you are playing around with the citizens of Goryeo, my father's people."

He could see the dissatisfaction of the faces of the court officials. But also the grint in their eyes, they were going to spread the tale anyways, why in the world should they protect information that can cause a scandal and weaken the Crown Prince through associations. If he were a kind man, he will wish them luck in their future dealings and promise to not bring them bodily harm but he has never been a kind man, nor a gentle one, and hardly a good one. But he was a man that will protect his people.

"If you are planning to spread the tale, go ahead. But remember to think of your answers, when people ask just how you got this information. Are you going to reveal that you bribed servants, or that you used my brothers to get information on us. I commend you for your courage." By their faces, they knew that they made a miscalculation, they forgot to fill the holes. Their panic had allowed them to spill all their tricks to the enemy, which was him in this case, while they did not have any concrete evidence or plot that could make him suspicious. he stands up from the chair, he did not need to threaten them with death, when they will be really careful from now on. He knew that from the expression of their faces.

Hae Soo

After serving three kings, and being the lover of another king, she knew all about palace politics. When the court officials entered the threshold of Byul, she knew that they were here to make her husband comply to them in order for him forget about their crimes. Most likely using either the 4th prince's reputation, or maybe even her. But she was not worried about that. She knew that her husband will not kill them. Scare them or mess a little with the knowledge that the officials have that is what Wang So will likely do.

Her prince will be in a bad mood after the private meeting no matter what, so now it will be up to her to cheer him up. The more he dwelt in the dark, the more worse the prince's temper will be. Besides this will be a nice opportunity for her to have a nice stroll with the prince. Today was an unexpected free day he had from lessons and meetings so she was going to enjoy it.

The moment her prince steps out of the room, she goes towards him and just smile widely at him. At his confused smile, she just takes his arm and starts to lead him outside and then out of Byul with her brother-in-laws and Soon Deok following behind them.

"Soo-ya," glancing at her husband she simply smile, "where are we going?"

"For a walk, Hwangjanim. To the prayer stones, the lake, Damiwon and many other places. Today is a day of aimless walks and we are all going to do it together. To enjoy the spring." As she smiles widely at him, she knows that her dear husband will not protest. Especially, when he had link his hand and her hand together. Now all of her dear friends come up to them, and the real fun will begin. Surrounding her prince with happiness and warmth was the best way to make the 4th prince's mood improve.