Father-in-Law

The World They Create Together

Hae Soo

This time it was different. Before the palace was a place of wonder and mystery. All she had seen were the beautiful sights. She did not even taste the bitterness of it till she actually met the two queens. Now, even before she took a step inside the palace grounds, she knew the truth. That the palace was a suffocating place. A beautiful place, but so damaging to the human soul that everyone had an hidden illness. She had been locked in this cage but it was also in the cage that she found her life.

The person that could bring her to life even from the most coldest place, and she had the power to do the same to him, or at least she will try her hardest to. But the way that could hurt each other was perhaps the most damaging thing that they could do to each other. But she believed that they have learnt, she had certainly learnt, that she and him, both of them were just empty shells without each other. And this time, in this time, she will be different, because secrets and lies will no longer cause them to hurt each other, they know the reality of what it is like without the other and they will never want to repeat that.

With each step that Soo took into the palace grounds, she made a silent vow. To never forget who she was. To be open-minded and understand him, even if it may be hard to forgive some of his actions. To work together with him. To get the best revenge possible on all the people that had hurt them, by being the most happiest married couple in this palace.

As she kept on silently making her promises, Soo noticed that they had arrived. One of the many tea rooms in the palace, but one that was used exclusively by the queens. She silently straighten her back and held her head up higher. So what if the women she would meet now were a pair of vipers, she had survived serving King Jeongjong while nursing a broken heart. Besides, she will have what these women never gave, and she felt sorry for that, the pleasure and joy of being truly loved by her partner.

The scene inside the tea room was the same. The queens stabbing each other with carefully hidden words before the prince's entrance. She silently gave her bows to the queen, and just stood back while the 8th Prince and her Unni was conversing with the queens. When Unni silently ask her to come forward she did just that. She knew that this was the moment they would be announcing her engaged status, and that she will soon be married. Though she still did not know if Unni will tell them who she will be marrying. As Unni announced that her sixth cousin was soon to be married, Soo paid close attention to the queens.

Queen Yoo was definitely dismissive, while Queen Hwangbo did seem to care a little bit. Well it did not matter, she knew that she will never be liked by her mother-in-law, and she did hated this woman who had been blessed with three beautiful sons, but all she did was cause them to suffer because of her greed. After bowing to the two queens after receiving their congratulations, dismissing the remark that at least now she will learn her place that were given to her by both the queens, Soo exit the room leaving the Prince and Unni with the queens.

The moment she stepped outside of the room, there was a royal attendant waiting to lead her towards her meeting with the King. The meeting that she was truly nervous about. Last time, she saw him, he was on his last breaths, and had entrusted in her, the future of Goryeo in a way. Now, she will meet King Taejo, not only as a king, the father of the princes, but also as her future father-in-law. She knew that the King had numerous daughters-in-law, but she knew that the King truly had no one that cared about him. At least in a way a daughter should towards a father. She had not told the 4th prince, but she plans on finding the man that Oh Sanggung had loved in this King, because she suspect that general would be just like the 4th prince. And she wanted to know a little about a father's love, which even Go Ha Jin didn't receive.

Instead of the official court room, Soo was being led to another exclusive tea room on the complete opposite side of the court. The King was determined to keep this meeting a secret. But she will love to actually see the King in a place that was not a palace court or his deathbed. She quickly fix her clothing, before allowing the attendants at the door to open the door. As the door opened, she took a step into the room where she will be meeting King Taejo.

The King

It was curiosity that led to him making arrangement for a secret meeting with this child. A child that had dared to harm a prince's face, but also drink poison willingly for the royal family, and who somehow got his most complicated child, So, to talk back to the King in order to gain permission to marry her. This mysterious child even before he meets her, will become a part of the royal family because of his decree. He will not take a risk like that thus this meeting. With only him, and that child in a secluded corner of the palace.

He looks up as he hears the doors opening, and get a look at this child. She does not look strong, instead she looks fragile. Dressed in a relatively simple hanbok of yellow and blue, her hair was open and only the sight of the braid on her head will give the indication that she was a noble.

"Greetings to the King. Hae Soo of Hong Ha Jin Hae clan greets the Emperor." She spoke well for sure. Good posture as well. As he got a good look at her face. He knew that he was wrong about one thing. This child was not weak. In her eyes, you could see a hidden strength, so she will not be one of the completely submissive woman. Gesturing with his eyes at the cushion placed in front of him, he silently watch the girl sit down in front of him. All of her actions were graceful and fluent like she was used to moving her body in a manner that showed silent strength but also look harmless. Perhaps because she had no real protection except for her ill cousin.

"You are the child that hit Prince Eun in the face."

"Ye, Pyeha. Unfortunately, I was the one." Even the way, she bowed her head showed that she was comfortable in her skin.

"You also drank the poison for the princes. Why?" The girl lifts her head, and actually dares to stare right into the his face as she replies.

"Because all of the princes were innocents who were being harmed. And I could not let anyone die if I could help."

"What if that person was going to die anyway? Then what would you do?"

"Unless that person has committed a serious crime, or were in a battle and chose to participate with their own will, I do not condemn killing. Sadly I know that this world is not like that. But I like to think that a world without wars may be created someday." A peace-loving child who was also knew the reality of the world. What a contradiction but it was refreshing to hear an honest answer, and he could tell there were no hidden motives behind it. Without knowing it, he smiles at the child in front of her and finally partake in the tea that had been served to him. The child after seeing him start of his tea, also reach out and sip the tea in front of her.

"If you love peace, why did you accept the 4th as your future husband? I know that my son asked you before he came to ask me for permission." The girl set down her cup, then and suddenly in front of him instead of a meek young girl, there seems to be a more confident adult woman.

"Pyeha, there is only one reason. Because I love that person. All of his scars, all of his masks, all of his flaws, and I wish to live with him. I know that there is a dangerous side of him, I have witnessed it but I cannot love him any less. I dare to think it is same for you Pyeha. No matter what you behave like, I know that you care for your children." This child. This child was just like So, even if they behaved differently or seemed to be so different, that insightfulness and that direct manner of speech, it reminded him of his 4th son when he was really young.

"You said that you love my son. But can you survive in this palace?" This child seemed to be able to put a person at ease and make them care for her, if they were willing. The child suddenly smiled brightly and it was like seeing the moon light up the night sky.

"4th Prince once said that palace is a place that everyone is alone. But I think all of us are human, there are good and evil, but we are still a person. And I know that I will not be alone, we both made a vow the day he proposed that we will not lie to each other, will be there for each other. Besides I am stronger and smarter than I look, even if I dislike it I will follow the palace rules."

"You are a smart child." All that he could really say as he started at the child in front of him. He could see that while this child will never be a snake, but she will be able to hold her ground against them. Even if people will think that his son had made a disastrous marriage, his 4th son was going to be wed to a hidden treasure. His future wife loves him, and also seemed to be strong enough to handle the cruel and cold palace.

Even he was surprised by the choice that his son took on his marriage, but he was glad that at least his daughter-in-law was not greedy. All this child seem to want for to live together with her son and based on what he could see, her presence had improve brotherly relationships and more and more of the princes were supporting the Crown Prince following the 4th.

"Pyeha, I have a request." Now, he was curious. Just what kind of request this child will have, he decides to listen to it, whether he will grant it or not will be another matter.

"After the marriage, when I am living in the palace, may I visit you often?" The child wants to visit him? Why? Unless she wanted to have an hand in palace politics? "It is not because I wanted to converse politics. I personally hate politics since I was young. I knew it was necessary thing but I hated the ugly side of it for so long. I only want to visit the King for a simple conversation. I made lots of mistakes in the past and I never seemed to learn from it. But I learnt that the way to deal with it is honesty. Honesty and talking to someone. Pyeha is someone whom the people call a wise man. I only wish to have the permission to come to you and talk to you. I know that Pyeha worries over the entire nation, so I simply wish you to have a chance to relax, and for me to have someone to vent to." The child smiled and he was reminded of a small adorable pup. He could feel himself smiling once again.

How strange that in this single encounter with this child, he had already smiled more times than he could ever remember doing in a single day. Seeing nothing wrong with the request, he said that he gave her permission. Then in front of her, the child seems to change. From the graceful and courteous lady to a more happier form.

"Thank you for your grace, Pyeha. Then for the sake of honesty, I would like to share one amusing observation and one single complaint." The child now seemed to be excited, smiling widely and even had started to talk less formally.

"What observation and complaint?" He was truly curious as to just what complaint she already had, and actually dare to speak to the King about it. The child smiled even more widely to tell him, she actually leans forward in her cushion as if she was telling a secret.

"Pyeha and 4th Hwanjanim make the same face when drinking fruit tea. You both like tea from plants not fruits. But you do not want to let anyone know your favourites that easily so you drink it anyways, but you always hesitate just a small bit before drinking a sip, and immediately try to cover the taste with a sweet. I'm correct, right Pyeha?" Stunned all he could do was look at the child in surprise. This child had a figured out a reasoning for his habit in a single meeting. Staring intensely at the child who still seemed to be waiting for an acknowledgement that she was right, he replied.

"The 4th does not like fruit tea?"

"There another similar thing, you both change the subject when you don't want to talk about something. Don't worry Pyeha, I do the same thing sometimes, and this will be a secret between us."

"You are a smart and insightful child." That was all he could say.

"Now onto my complaint. Pyeha, soon I will be your daughter-in-law, and you will both be my King and my father-in-law. But you haven't called me by my name yet. Please just call me Soo. No need for complicated title. I will visit you like I would visit my father-in-law, and please accept my visits like that of a daughter-in-law. And you have to promise to tell me stories. I wish to all about the troubles that the princes got into especially the 4th. He is always scolding me about getting me in some trouble. I need to have a defence ready. I really hate to lose." Without realizing it, he had started laughing. Not a humourless one or a forced one but a genuine laugh.

This child, no Hae Soo, Wang Geon's future daughter-in-law was adorable. She just wanted someone to vent out her frustrations to, and also gain things to win a simple argument against his son. He could not wait till this child was in the palace. Just what kind of changes she will be bring to this place, and also what kind of conversation the child will have with him. Even if he was the King, it looks like with this child, he will actually be a father-in-law based on their interactions than just relations.