Chapter 9

Day by Day

Ji Hyo and Jong Kook walk back home together as they notice Madam Kim has already left. As they walk side by side, Ji Hyo kept stealing glances at Jong Kook.

“What do you have to say?” Jong Kook asks, although he’s not facing her.

Ji Hyo shrugs to herself. “N-nothing.”

“There must be something, since you keep staring at me.” Jong Kook turns to her as they came close to the market side. The sun has already set, leaving the sky in a deep orange, pink, purple color.

Ji Hyo just blankly stares at him as they stood across from each other. His eyes were different, as if it was like the first time she met him at the palace.

*Flashback*

Ji Hyo wandered through the palace as she got lost. She kept running around in circles, it was her first time coming to the palace with her father.

She passed through a garden full of flowers. Her jaw drops in awe as she see the colorful place and pond.

It was a beautiful pavilion, one of the King’s most beautiful garden in the kingdom, Jeong-Won Garden. Ji Hyo stepped inside as she was too lost in awe to the place.

She kept turning around to glance at everything that she forgot to watch her step. Ji Hyo slipped and fell into the water. She screamed for help as she was falling but suddenly she was pulled back up and hit against a hard thing.

Ji Hyo cringe in pain and looks up to see a man’s face. He was holding onto her hand as he pulls her up. Ji Hyo stare into his small, starry eyes, as if she was captivated by it. He was not wearing a scholar’s clothes, more like a soldier’s.

“Are you alright, Miss?” he asked.

Ji Hyo quickly came back to her senses and steps back as he lets go of her hand.

“Y-yes, I’m alright. Thank you, Sir…” Ji Hyo dragged.

“Kim Jong Kook.” he answered.

Ji Hyo felt almost star-struck, just hearing his name, the way he spoke to her.

“I’m Song Ji Hyo,” she lightly bows.

“Nice to meet you.” He smiles, “But shouldn’t you be somewhere else? This is his majesty’s most beautiful garden in the kingdom.”

“No, no, no, I wasn’t snooping around. I went to use the restroom and I got lost, I just happen to get here accidently.”

He nods, “Why are you here? You don’t seem to be one of the new palace ladies.” He looks at her from head to toe.

“Actually, I’m here for the King’s birthday celebration.” Ji Hyo replies with a cheerful smile.

Jong Kook smiles thinly, “I think you should head back now, the ceremony is about to begin.” He looks over to the side, “There’s a palace lady there, you can ask for the direction back. I’ll leave now.”

Ji Hyo lightly bows to him and he walked away.

As he walks further away, his armor reflected the bright sunlight, making Ji Hyo fluster, as if he was glowing. She was over the moon, the first man to make her feel this way.

Kim Jong Kook.

*Flashback to present*

“Kim Jong Kook.” She suddenly calls his name, making him wander why she said his whole name.

“Why were you in the palace that day?” Ji Hyo gulps. “The day we first met.”

Jong Kook thought to himself and almost chuckles, making Ji Hyo confused. He then turn around and walked away before her.

Confused Ji Hyo runs after him, “Sir Kim,”

Jong Kook walked away nonchalantly.

“Why didn’t you stay for the King’s birthday ceremony?”

Jong Kook turns around and stops as Ji Hyo bumped into him. He was taken aback by their sudden physical contact today but tries to keep his mask on.

Ji Hyo lightly rubbed her forehead as she quickly composes her position.

“I had to protect the border of the kingdom.” Jong Kook answered. Ji Hyo lightly nods.

“But, why did you go into the Jeong-won garden?” Ji Hyo asked again.

Jong Kook tries to think hard before answering her. “I hate to say this, but I got lost.” Then he quickly turns around and walked toward the mansion before Ji Ho could react.

Ji Hyo was mind blown. A General getting lost in the palace just like her? Almost impossible to believe but she was amazed.

Jong Kook had walked across the yard to his office quarters. In there, he found himself smiling without reason. As he heard a knock on the door he heard Ara asking to come in. Immediately he thought about his wife again.

He greeted Ara with open arms.

“Why?” Ara smiled thinly. “You seem to be in such a great mood today,” Jong Kook smiled back.

“Seeing you made my eyes sparkle,” Jong Kook walks toward her as she put the tea on the table.

“What a sweet mouth you have,” Ara chuckled as Jong Kook sat on the chair and takes the cup of tea from Ara.

“Quite foul too,” Jong Kook added. Ara sat by him as she brew the tea. “As expected, your tea is the best.”

Ara smiled gleefully but quickly notice the tint of blood stain on his robe. “Oh my, what happened here?”

“It’s nothing.”

“How it can be nothing? You’re bleeding!” Ara exclaimed and tried to search for any wounds. Jong Kook stops her hand and holds it tightly.

“If I die right now, will you still love me?” Jong Kook asked, as if pitifully. Ara stares at him in disbelief.

“Don’t say that, I won’t let you die.” Ara then continues searching for the wound.

Jong Kook started chuckling, “It’s not my blood.” Ara stops immediately.

“Then whose blood is it?”

“The blood of a newborn child and its mother.” Ara looks up at him.

She gulped, “Did you by chance…”

“Ji Hyo helped her give birth and I took her to the doctor.”

Ara covered in astonishment.

“Why, what’s wrong?” Jong Kook looks at her intently. Ara clasps her hand around Jong Kook, hugging him.

“Oh my goodness, oh my goodness. That is great news!”

“Why?”

Ara loosens her grasps and looks into Jong Kook’s eyes.

“I knew that one day you will be able to help more people than you think you can, on top of that, a pregnant woman too.”

“You’re that excited?” Jong Kook almost chuckled. Ara nods her head.

“Also, I didn’t know Miss Song was such a skilled person.” Ara lets go of him. “I need to meet her, I have to meet the child.” Ara excitedly excused herself.

Jong Kook smiles to himself as he scratches his head. Ara has always been a child lover, taking care of them, taking care of the family orients. He could tell how excited she was at the mention of children as he sees how her face lights up, making him remember how they met.

*Flashback*

Jong Kook could barely fold the child in the blanket to put it to sleep.

“Tsk~” He heard Ara clicked her tongue. “I wonder when the poor baby will get to sleep.”

“Why don’t you come help me?” He turns arrogantly to her. Ara has always been soft hearted toward children. Her high-spirited self, her gentleness.

Ara moved over and neatly put the child in the blanket, tucking the corners of the blankets to create a well-rounded shape of the fabric.

“See, like this.” Ara showed him and cooed the baby to bed. Jong Kook looked away in annoyance. But he did like her gentleness and warmth toward family.

He was in their village, resting for an attack in the next few days from the Japanese. She greeted him with her warmth for children when he and his troop woke the children up at midnight.

She had always give warmth to people, unlike him. He killed, he saved, he survives.

*Flashback to present*

To see the once high-spirited woman who has now been confined in his home made him guilty. He fought to keep her, love her, and marry her. But he brought in another woman into the household and took her official place.

But judging from today, Jong Kook was amaze to see Ji Hyo more capable than he thought she would be. He thought she would be one of those noble ladies: no work ethics and only live off of her father’s wealth and reputation.

How she had been daring enough to enter his room moments after he and Ara had made love without causing a scene, how she had dared to questions his feelings for her, how she had dared to request her ‘freedom’, how she… had touched him in a different way…

Jong Kook quickly shook his head. No, he cannot waver. Ara is the only one for him. She had submitted her whole life to him, he can’t do this to her.

***

Ara ran into the courtyard to look for Ji Hyo, who was now resting in her quarters. She knocks on the door and announces her presence.

“This is Miss Go, can I come in?”

Ji Hyo was exhausted from the trip but hearing Ara’s presence she straighten up. What was Ara doing at this hour? It was nearly midnight.

“Come in,” Ji Hyo ordered. The door open and comes in Ara, with a tray of fruits and fabrics.

“You have come Miss Go,” Ji Hyo sees the things in her arms. “What is that?”

Ara sat in front of Ji Hyo as she laid out the fruits and fabrics. She was rather glowing and happy.

“Did something happen today?” Ji Hyo wondered.

“Of course something happened today.” Ara look at her with all smiles. “A life was born today, due to your help.”

Ji Hyo realized what she was saying, “I only did the best I could. Why does it call for this…?”

Ara sat up straight and put her hands on the table. “Actually, I have planned to meet the family tomorrow. I was wondering if you would like to go together,”

Ji Hyo seemed almost relieved. Ara seems to be one of the nicest woman she had ever met, beautiful, cheerful, and kind-hearted. Ji Hyo nodded as Ara quickly set up the fabrics.

“I brought in some fabrics that could be given to the family. Although my sewing skills may not be great, I hope to learn from you and help give these to the newcomers.” Ara smile at Ji Hyo as they both came up with what to do with the fabrics.

***

Gong Yoo was training against another soldier. He used the sword and tactic fights, using the techniques he had used against the enemies at the border.

The soldier and him hit against each other as their swords clashed, almost hitting each other. Yoo slashed the sword away as his mind wandered away.

Jong Kook is married to Song Ji Hyo. Yet she is supposedly his second wife because Go Ara is his unofficial wife. But he loves Ara a lot, then that means Ji Hyo is nothing to him.

Just thinking about her situation distracted Yoo. He came back to reality as the soldier attacked him and he couldn’t protect himself, thus making him backed up with the slash scraping his sword.

“Lieutenant!” the soldier ran to him. “I deeply apologize.”

Yoo used the sword to help himself up, “No, you did good.” He patted the soldier’s back.

“But why did it seem like you were distracted. Is there something on your mind?” the soldier asked.

“Nothing important, I may be lacking rest.”

“Please rest Lieutenant Yoo.” the soldier bowed as Yoo nodded.

Yoo retreated to the tent, he looked at the string on his desk as he remembered her, Song Ji Hyo.

“Lieutenant Yoo, you have a request letter from your father, Mayor of Capital Burea sent for you.” a soldier messenger announced as the letter is presented to him.

Yoo took out the letter and read from it, his actions frozen, his face darkens.

“Prepare for my departure to the capital.” Yoo ordered.

*****************************************************************************

Hallo! I deeply apologize for the lack of updates. I'm transitioning back to uni and there's been some takebacks. I'm thankful for the supportive comments, subscribers, and upvotes! Will try my best to update as much as I can and I hope you enjoy reading it!