Chapter 11

Day by Day

Yoo hugged onto Ji Hyo tightly as he started crying and muttering apologies. Ji Hyo stopped moving and slowly raised her arms to pat his back. The least she could do was console him.

Just from the gate was a familiar man, witnessing the scene between these two. His heart started beating irregularly as he couldn’t find the courage to look away or any words to say. What do you call this feeling?

Jong Kook stood from the gate as he kept his eyes on them, hugging each other.

Ji Hyo turned her head and sees Jong Kook staring at them. Ji Hyo just kept staring at him, knowing what he was seeing right now.

***

Jong Kook had carried Yoo into the mansion and set him in the guest quarter. Ji Hyo and Ara stood outside the quarter, seeing how everything was being carried out.

Jong Kook closed the door and looks at the women.

“What happened to Lieutenant Yoo?” Ara asked. “I haven’t seen him like this before.”

Jong Kook nodded, “He must be having a lot on his mind.” He turned to Ji Hyo, “Why didn’t you stop him from drinking?”

Ji Hyo looked back at him, “He was already drunk when I met him.”

“How did you meet him?” Now that Jong Kook has examine how Ji Hyo was dressed in, “Don’t tell me you went out dressing like that. Why were you out so late?”

Ji Hyo realized that she hadn’t changed yet. Ara notices it too. “Wow, Miss Song, you pretty good.”

Jong Kook turned to glare at Ara and she looks away, but smiling as she walked away.

“Where did you come from?” Jong Kook asked Ji Hyo.

“I went to the newcomers’ place.”

“I know that part. I’m talking about this part.” He pointed back to the guest room where Yoo was sleeping.

Ji Hyo fidgeted. She remembered how Jong Kook had scolded her last time.

“I,” Ji Hyo started, “I went to-“

Jong Kook could smell alcohol form her breath. “You drank? Hey Miss Song.” Jong Kook put his hands on his hips, ready to scold her.

Ji Hyo holds her hand out, “Please listen to me first will you.”

Jong Kook kept silent and waited for her to speak. Ji Hyo straighten herself.

“After the visit to the newcomers, I wanted to watch the play made in honor of the King at an inn. I had a few drinks and food, was having a good time until I met Lieutenant Yoo in that shape.”

“How many times do I have to tell you to watch yourself carefully?” Jong Kook was annoyed. “I hate to repeat myself but Miss Song, you are the official daughter-in-law of the Minister of Defense, and wife of the general. Please consider how your actions can cause a bad reputation.”

Ji Hyo stared at him, “What about you?”

“What about me?”

“I believe you, Sir Kim, have already brought a damage to your father’s name.”

“What did I do?”

“My presence here, you know it fully inside out.”

Jong Kook fidgeted, remembering how he heard the market people gossip about him and Ara.

“I am a man, I have nothing to lose. But you,” he pointed to her, “You are a woman, you have more to lose than me.”

Ji Hyo was furious. “I am dressed in men’s clothing.”

“That’s why it’s even weirder!” Jong Kook shouted. “What would others think if they see two men hugging in public?”

Ji Hyo crossed her arms and asked calmly. “Are you, by chance, interested in men?”

Jong Kook looked at her unbelievably. “Wow,” he took a deep breath. “I am a married man, Miss Song. On top of that, I am your ‘husband’.”

“Then are you interested in me?” Ji Hyo asked.

“I-“ Jong Kook almost hesitated to speak, “Why would I? I am only worried about you ruining the Kim Household.”

Ji Hyo nodded and looked away. “Then have a good night, Sir Kim.”

“I’m not done speaking to you.” He commanded as Ji Hyo turned around to walk away.

“Well I am.” Ji Hyo found the guts and walked away as he tried to call her.

Jong Kook kicked the basket of water to only accidentally hit a small gong. He quickly ran and pick it up, putting it back in place. He didn’t know why, this feeling of fury, irritation, and how Ji Hyo had ignored him made him upset.

***

Yoo woke up with a bad migraine and hangover, rubbing his temples and the center of his brows.

Huh? Why am I? Heaven? He wondered. No, heaven doesn't look like this... I was drinking yesterday and… Song Ji Hyo.

Yoo immediately sat up but groan in pain as a strike of dizziness hit him. He made his way out and sees that he was in the Kim Mansion. He walked out toward the courtyard, seeing the maids and servant run around distinctively.

He entered the pavilion, seeing how the sun has already risen up. He needed somewhere to sit and breathe in the fresh air.

“There you are,”

He turned around to see her. Ji Hyo made her toward the pavilion with the maids carrying trays of food.

“I was wondering when you will wake up, but now I don’t have to worry about it.” The maids put the food on the table and moved away. “Please leave us.”

Yoo only stared at her in disbelief, as if he was dreaming. “W-Why are you here?”

“This is my house, why shouldn’t I be here?”

Yoo scratched his head and try to regain his memories.

“I guess all that alcohol really made you sick.” Ji Hyo said as she head Yoo groan and covered his face. “Here, I made some ox bone soup.” She put it in a small bowl. “And some honey water tea.”

“You do know something about the after-effects of drinking don’t you?” Yoo stated, almost sarcastically.

“You don’t have to if you don’t want to.” Ji Hyo was ready to put the dishes away. Yoo immediately grab them.

“Hey, you can’t take back what you give.” He took the bowl of rice and tea. “Also, don’t waste food, there are many people out on the streets that don’t even have enough to eat.”

He started eating the food, stopping to taste it. Ji Hyo notices it and stares intentionally. “How is it?” He slowly look up at her, making her nervous. “What? Is it that bad?”

“I’ll think of it as my duty to prevent others from having to taste your badly cooked food.” Yoo nodded.

Ji Hyo sighed. “Husb- Sir Kim has never been able to taste my food.” Yoo stopped eating and looks at Ji Hyo as she stares away blankly, almost sadly. Then she looks back at him, “At least you can be the scapegoat for my awful cooking then.”

Yoo bit onto his chopstick, feeling bad about how he had said that to her.

“But then,” Ji Hyo leans on the table, “Why were you drinking yesterday?”

Yoo was taken back and he leaned back. “Why? I can’t drink.” He put down the utensils and picked up the tea to drink.

Ji Hyo nodded, “But why were you crying and dancing like a drunken fool?”

Yoo almost spat out his tea, ended up coughing. Ji Hyo started chuckling.

“What? I did that?!”

“You don’t even remember what you did?” Ji Hyo asked.

“Don’t lie to me.” Yoo tried to think. “You’re just trying to fool me huh?

“The sun has risen, the troop had arrive~” Ji Hyo imitates Yoo’s drunk downgrade of acting.

“Lies.” He retorted.

“The whole Inn is my witness. Even the dog on the streets are witnesses too.” Ji Hyo smiled satisfyingly.

Yoo’s eyes widen in embarrassment. He mumbled to himself and slowly ate the food quietly.

“Lieutenant Yoo,” Ji Hyo called him.

“Leave me alone.” He mumbled without looking at her.

“Are you embarrassed?” Ji Hyo asked him teasingly, mocking.

“I’m still busy eating.” He fussed, “Like Lu Yu said, ‘The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live’.”

She stood up ready to leave, “Have a nice meal then.” Ji Hyo turned back and glance at him before leaving. “That quote was actually made by Confucius.” Then she walked away, grinning to herself.

Yoo waited until she was gone to cover his face in double the embarrassment. “How could I forget that part…”

***

Jong Kook sat across from Yoo who was finishing up his meal that Ji Hyo cooked.

He was taking his time eating while Jong Kook threw pebbles into the pond.

“I must be very popular today, I didn’t know my acting was that great last night.”

Jong Kook glared at him.

“What? I can’t even eat peacefully?” Yoo asked playfully as he gulped down the food.

Jong Kook sighed, “Go ahead, keep eating.” He kept observing Yoo though.

“I know I’m handsome but wouldn’t others think weirdly if they see you looking at me?” Yoo asked without looking.

Jong Kook scoot in, “Is there something distracting you?”

“Nothing, I just lack sleep.”

Jong Kook put the pebbles away, “Yoo,”

“Hm?”

“I heard about it.” Jong Kook waited for Yoo’s reaction. “The political marriage between you and the Mongolian Minister’s daughter.”

Yoo stopped eating and started stretching. “So?”

“She has already departed to the capital.”

Yoo stopped everything he was doing. “Tough luck,” he cursed under his breath. “Time to go.” He turned away to leave the pavilion.

“Gong Yoo!” Jong Kook tried to call him. But Yoo was already on his way to the gate.

“Do you think that running away will fix everything?” Jong Kook tried to reason. “It doesn’t matter if she comes here or not, all you have to do is reject it.”

Yoo glared at him. “Yes, it doesn’t matter. It doesn’t matter if she comes or not but it matters if I stay or not.”

“Wait it out, the Minister’s daughter may be understanding, you never know.”

“And then what?” Yoo asked seriously, “Wait until his majesty passed down an imperial decree of marriage or until my father drugs me to marry her? This is the exact reason why I didn’t stay in the capital. The reason I choose to fight battles and risk my life on the field.”

Jong Kook could understand where he was coming from. Yoo’s anger and hatred. He knows the root of it even better than anyone else.

“I will not be one of them.” Yoo declared. He calmed down as he could see Jong Kook calculating his actions. “I’ll be heading back to the borders. Thank you for everything.”

Jong Kook could not watch him go like that. Yoo’s determination and sacrifices made for the country was always a controversial idea to him.

“Let’s go hunting together!” Jong Kook yelled out. Yoo turned back to him. “Instead of running into a battlefield of humans, let’s run to a battle field of animals.”

Yoo smiled thinly as he nodded lightly.

***************************************************************************************************************************