Chapter 30

Day by Day

This is gonna be a super long chapter ><

*********************************************************************************

Jong Kook exit the room as Ara finally fell asleep.

“How long has it been like this?” he asked one of the maids.

“Two days now, Sire.”

“Miss Go was always fatigue and lonely. She must have missed you a lot, Sire.”

Jong Kook looked bothered by that phrase. “Make her some porridge now and some beef congee for tomorrow.”

“Yes, Sire.” and they left. He turns back to the room. There he sees Ara shifting around in her bed. He fixes the cover over her body and turned thought to himself, how he would break it to her.

Ara’s eyes open and sees him still sitting in front of her, in deep thoughts. He sighed and was going to turn and leave but Ara stopped him.

He sees her awake.

Ara’s POV:

“Don’t go,” I whispered, begging.

My body ached but I swallowed down the lump in my throat. It was bitter and nauseous. He looked at me with those same eyes.

I sat up weakly as he holds onto me. My loose brown hair scatter around me.

“Oppa..” I look into eyes, trying to find an answer.

“Don’t you think that by now, he is probably in bed with his wife, cuddling and sleeping together?” Kenji smirked.

“A man and a woman under one roof in the same room, what could they be doing, especially when they are husband and wife?”

I gulped once more, blinking and opening my eyes that blurred with tears.

The look Kenji on his face as he twisted my hand and I cowered in pain under him.

“Don’t leave me alone…” I finally said. Out of everything I could have said, I chose these four words. I erased my doubts and swallowed my pride.

Tell me you love me. Tell me you’ll stay. Please… tell me something I want to hear… I beg you, tell me you won’t leave me alone and let anyone hurt me again.

My eyes pleaded and I couldn’t help but shiver. Jong Kook only kept his gaze on me, one I can’t read.

The longer it took him to answer, the stormier my heart grows. Why isn’t he saying anything?

He took my hand and took it off his hand.

A trembling tear escaped my eye. Is this what they called heartbreak?

“Rest for tonight.” He told me and stood up, leaving me alone. “I’ll be outside,” then he closed the door.

I turned my head and looked at the door. My tears flooded down my face.

He just rejected me…

Jong Kook oppa, doesn’t want me anymore…

My eyes flash with remorse.

I am dirty, filthy… He must have known. I cried to myself.

Those memories that I keep thinking of is eating me away. The truth that I was denying was true all along… Jong Kook does not love me anymore. I cry on the floor on the soft white covers.

Then a wailing sound escaped the room. My wailing…

That bastard was right. Jong Kook won’t love me anymore.

*Flashback*

~After doing the deed…

Kenji looked at me while I glared at him in disgust. The bruises on my body and lip swell. He glances at me, shirtless as he inched forward. I grabbed the covers that was left of me and covered my body between us.

He was no longer grinning, the dark smug on his face.

Is he going to kill me?

Jong Kook oppa… where are you?

Wait, who am I to call for Jong Kook when I could not even keep myself pure for him? I grasped tightly onto the covers.

He moves the loose strand of hair from my face as I shudder, moving back. He stopped and moved closer, repeating the same thing.

“Don’t touch me-“

“Or what?” then his lips twisted into a grin. “You’re going to kill me?”

I clenched my teeth. I would kill you any day.

“Go ahead and tell your Jong Kook oppa. I’ll gladly welcome him any day. I can even tell him the details of tonight, of how great your body and skills were, or even the marks on your body made by me-“

Slap!

His cheek turned pink and I furiously glared at him.

“Leave.” I ordered him yet he did not move. I raised my hand to push him but he didn’t care to even budge, grabbing hold of my hand. I struggled to pull back.

“Don’t ever touch my face.” He pushed her hand back. “I’ll take it as your revenge.”

Revenge? A slap like this is consider to you sick bastard?

“I will kill myself if you tell him, then he will kill you.”

“Go ahead. If you die, he will be devastated then I will get the chance to attack him. He will die gruesomely by my hands.”

I bit my lip. He really is trying to shut me up.

“Your husband, he may not even feel sad if you die. You are just an unofficial wife that makes you even less than a concubine, a nobody.”

A nobody…

I froze. A nobody of no title.

He got up and dressed himself. “Think carefully. I can help you. I only did this because of your smart mouth. But I have to say, nice body there.” He grin.

My eyes burned with tears but I refused to let them out in front of this bastard.

He disappeared as I look back up. That bastard. He ruined my confidence in just seconds of his words.

No, Jong Kook loves me. He won’t have a change of heart. He promised me.

I snuggled in the covers and sobbed.

*Flashback to present*

I wailed to myself… I overestimated myself. I am no one. Ji Hyo is someone of high status while I’m just a village girl.

If only… If only she hadn’t married Jong Kook, then I would be the official wife. If only she didn’t treat Jong Kook nicely, he wouldn’t fall for her. If only she didn’t lose her memories because of Kenji… I would not be sent here. None of this would have happened to me…

I wanted to scream my heart out as I clumped the covers in my hands. My body shook violently and my eyes redden.

Song Ji Hyo… You made Jong Kook change from me…

Ara, an innocent woman you may say, her eyes changed as she stare out the door Jong Kook had left.

Ruined dignity and innocence…

I will pay it all back. I, am his wife.

***

Jong Kook sat outside the beautiful house as he looks at the sky. The last night he stayed with Ji Hyo, counting stars and chatting all night long. He looks at his hand and remembers her soft fingers that intertwine with his. In his other hand was the hairpin he bought for her, even forgetting to give it to her.

Ji Hyo.

Song Ji Hyo.

A woman of dignity and status, someone he will benefit with.

Go Ara.

A woman with a heart of loyalty, someone he can live with like a normal family.

But they are both women who loves him.

Jong Kook sighed as he closed his eyes and turns his head to his side.

He sees Ji Hyo sitting next to him, smiling like always. Without saying anything, she leaned on his shoulder and rest her head. As he draws his hand to touch her hand, she disappeared.

He looks around finds himself alone.

He sighed, It was just a daydream. I wonder what she is doing now.

Jong Kook felt a pair of arms circled around his waist as he stands up. He stops his steps.

Ara held onto him.

“Jong Kook oppa,” he hears her voice. “I miss you.”

He turns around and sits her down. Her swollen and pink eyes were apparent. She was crying.

“Ara,”

She looks into his eyes.

“I have to tell you something.”

Her brows furrowed.

“I wanted to wait until tomorrow and you felt better first.”

Ara trickled a thin smile. “I’m sorry about my behavior. Oppa,”

“How is Miss Song now?” She changed the subject.

“She,” he thought carefully, “doesn’t remember anything yet. It will take a bit more time.”

“That is bad news then,” she menace a concern expression. “She suffered of much because of me. If only you didn’t come help me first…”

Jong Kook guiltily looks away. At the time of danger, he really left Ji Hyo’s side without thinking of her to look for Ara.

“Ara,”

“Yes?”

“Have you seen Kenji’s face before?”

She hesitated for a moment and his gaze focused on her.

“No, I only heard his voice.”

He holds her hand, “He has escaped from the capital prison. I will order more guards to look after you.”

He saw a pained expression on her face.

“W-Why can’t I go back with you?”

“I-“

“Is it because of Ji Hyo?”

He didn’t say a word. What should he say?

Yes, I am finding myself thinking about her all the time and attracted to her?

No, he shouldn’t tell her this way.

“I understand,” she stands up. “Please take care of her well and thank you for trying to protect me.”

“Ara,” he stands up. “I don’t mean it like that.”

“It’s alright. I am the unofficial wife while she is the official one. I heard and know it inside out.”

She bowed, “Please return, husband.” She walks away, inside the house.

Jong Kook stood still and walk up to the closed door.

“I’ll visit you tomorrow, goodnight.” then he left.

Ara stood behind the door and bit her lip. He really left, she thought he would come inside and try to explain to her and stay with her.

Jong Kook really changed.

***

Jong Kook rode his horse back home and stops as he reached he gate.

Coming back alone made him felt lonely. Ji Hyo’s round face coming to greet him and cheerful humming made his heart linger outside.

He walked inside and sees the Ji Hyo walked by the courtyard. She walked around the courtyard and turns to see his face. She walked towards him and stops at an arm’s length.

He froze nervously.

She put her hands behind her back and leaned her head forward. “Husband~”

“W-why are you…” he felt his breath stopping. He raised his hand to hold her but as soon as he does so, she disappears.

Aish. He frowns in disappointment. I must be going crazy.

He turns away and rushed to take a bath.

***

At the Song Mansion…

Ji Hyo finally stood up, ready to go to sleep.

“Song Ji Hyo,” someone called her.

She turns around and sees him again. That man. Her eyes widen in surprised.

“You…”

He was dressed in regular scholar clothing. He walked towards her with his hands behind him.

“Why do you look so sad?” he asked teasingly.

Ji Hyo didn’t know why but she felt her chest burning. “How did you get in here?”

He frown. “I came through the door.” he pointed to the gate. “And I brought you something.”

Her eyes beam when she saw him take out a batch of desserts.

“You bought these?” She could the smell the sweet aroma.

He nodded and hand them to her.

She lightly bow and took it.

They ended up sitting on the stairs, eating.

Ji Hyo was so happy. She had not been allowed to go out by her father after Jong Kook had left. Honestly, she was dying to go out =side again but refrain herself from doing so. But now this stranger came and gave her food, she was delighted.

“Why are you being so nice to me?” she stops eating and looks up at him.

“Why do you think that I’m being nice to you?”

She blanked out for a moment then shook her head. He smiled and knuckled her head lightly.

“Eat~”

She continued eating as he stole glances at her. “Who are you really?” She looks back up at him.

“Guess.”

She scratch her head. “You were dressed in a uniform but you were in my kitchen, looking like a homeless bum.”

He glared at her in disbelief.

“But you wore clothes like someone from a good family too.” She turned to him, “Are you a thief?”

He gave her a weird side-eye. “Just eat. Your mind is rambling as ever.”

After the food, they sat with their stomachs full. Ji Hyo burped loudly and they turned to look at each other in awkward silence.

“Sorry~” she whispered shyly.

After a moment of silence and crickets chirping she finally broke it.

“What’s your name?” they turned to each other.

He looks at her starry big, brown eyes. “Call me whatever you want.”

“Rockhead?” she asked sarcastically. He chummed at her.

“Do I look like a rock head?”

She nodded, making him make a face. “Why do you refuse to tell me your name? Friends should know each other’s name. Didn’t you say you were my friend?”

Friend.

He looks at her and smiled bitterly then stood up. “I’m leaving now, have a goodnight.”

Ji Hyo stood up. “But you haven’t told me your name~”

He turns back to see her as the full moon shined behind him.

“Gong Yoo.” Then he disappeared behind the gate.

Ji Hyo stops in her steps.

Gong Yoo…?

It sounds oddly familiar but she can’t remember where she heard it before.

Suddenly, the image of him under the moonlight made her heart pound. She turned around, took a deep breath. Her head starts to ache, blurry.

There were flashes of fire glowing… then it glowed around, flickering to a man’s face.

She opens her eyes and looks around, running after him.

She reached the gate and he was gone and the guards refused to let her out.

Her suspicion grew again. Just who are you?

**************************************************************************