Chapter 4

Day by Day

Jong Kook, his father, and Minister Song started drinking and discussing political facts of the court room.

“Son-in-law Kim,” Minister Song called.

“Yes father?”

“Do you know what’s wrong with Ji Hyo?” Jong Kook hasn’t even been paying attention to her these days.

“I know you both are newlyweds and that you are a general, but I would appreciate it if you treat my daughter better.” Jong Kook almost stutters.

“Although your father, Minister Kim and I had an agreement to marry the both of you, my Ji Hyo has never disobeyed me. However she will not do something that she, herself does not want to or see righteous.” Jong Kook looks up at Ji Hyo’s father.

“My daughter married you without any objections.”

Jong Kook nodded. “What am I saying? I was the one who wanted to leave.” He remembers Ji Hyo saying. Did she really marry him because she likes him?

“Men like that hard to find but they end up hurting others that love them.”

Was she referring to him? Like actually him? Jong Kook wondered.

“I... I am thankful sir.”

“Why?” her father asked.

“That you let your daughter marry me,” he answers.

“Son-in-law Kim.” Her father sternly calls him and pours him a drink. “Shall we get drunk tonight?” He looks at Minister Kim and both nods. “You don’t have training tomorrow do you?”

Jong Kook couldn’t wiggle out of this one. “It would be a pleasure to drink with my wife’s father, greatest of all, the Minister of Justice.”

***

Not knowing how much they have drank, the Ministers and general laugh in joy as there were entertainments in the courtyard. Music, games, dances.

The sky was really dark, almost midnight.

Jong Kook tried to relax but he could feel his body giving away but he is still sober enough to think clearly. Ji Hyo came to peek at the courtyard in the pavilion to see the ‘party’ that her father made.

She sees Jong Kook chugging up the drinks her father offers him. “Gosh, dad,” she mumbles to herself. Although Jong Kook refuses her feelings, she still worries about him.

“Daughter-in-law Kim,” Ji Hyo heard her mother in law called her.

“Yes, mother?”

“Why don’t you join us?” Ji Hyo nervously looks at them before entering the courtyard.

She sat beside Jong Kook, while the party continued. They couldn’t look at each other at all, not after the earlier incident. From the amount of wine bottles she sees, they had plenty to drink. But seeing that Jong Kook has such a strong tolerance, she felt happy that he can still stand up straight as a strong man to her father.

“Ji Hyo, pour your husband a drink.” Ji Hyo nodded and poured Jong Kook a drink. Jong Kook sat stiffly as she nears him. He doesn’t know why but being a half peeping tom and the conversation earlier with her father made him curious about her. But he stops in mid drink as he notices something. 

At the corner of her eye, Ji Hyo sees the familiar woman. Jong Kook’s wife. She stands afar and bitterly smiles sadly. She nods with a smiley face at Jong Kook and lightly bows her head before leaving. As she left, Jong Kook is reminded of his situation again. There, he became all serious again and gulped the drink down.

He wanted to run after Ara but his in-laws were here now. Witnessing how good Ji Hyo gets along with her father, he remembers how lonely Ara must feel.

“Would you please excuse me, I’ll be back.” Jong Kook bows and leaves in almost a hurry. Ji Hyo knew where he was going. But she kept a straight face with her father and poured her in-laws a drink.

Jong Kook runs through the side yard and finds Ara sitting on the small porch. He catches his breath and slowly walks toward her. She looks up at the moon and traces her finger around it.

Then another hand holds onto hers and hugs her from behind. There, she knew it was her husband.

“What are you looking at pretty one?” He flirts with her calmly.

Ara smiled and turned around from his grasps. “Oppa, what are you doing here? You should be drinking with your father-in-law and family.”

“You are my family too.” Ara smiles softly. “Why, are you doubting me?” She shook her head.

“I trust you.”

“Then why the sad face my wife?” He pinches her nose lightly.

“Just. I miss you.”

“That’s all? But I stay with you every night.” He pouts. “I know, you want me every night too don’t you?” He kids and starts tickling her and they giggled.

“Ahem*” a tone made them stop. Ji Hyo had been there the whole time, not because she wanted to but her father and father-in-law kept looking for Jong Kook.

“Sorry to interrupt you but I think you should go back. The elders are looking for you.” Ji Hyo stated.

Their smiling faces dropped. Jong Kook looks back at Ara, she nodded at him. Then he turns back to Ji Hyo.

“I’ll be there.” Ji Hyo nodded but instead of going back, Ji Hyo steps forward.

“If you don’t mind, I would like to speak to Miss Go.”

Jong Kook was wary but he wanted to trust her since they already had a deal. Though uneasy he just kept trying to read Ji Hyo’s intentions.

“Or you can listen too.” Ji Hyo steps forward at an arm’s length from Ara. She lightly bows her head.

“I apologize about what happen to you the other day at the backyard. I didn’t know what was going on. Please accept my apologies.” Ji Hyo apologized.

“Please don’t do this,” Ara tried to stop her. “You were only trying to help. I’m the one who should be sorry. I ruin your wedding.”

“Why are you sorry? I already explained to her.” Jong Kook quickly asked Ara.

“Miss Go, don’t worry, Jong Kook and I have already talked about this already.” Ji Hyo assures. “He promises that if one day I find someone I love, he will let me go. It’s just that the situation right now is needed.” Jong Kook nods in agreement.

“And… He will have to share the room with me tonight.”

They both stare at Ji Hyo.

“Do we have to go to that extent?” Jong Kook asked. Ji Hyo nods correspondingly.

“My father is spending the night at the Kim household and it would be strange if Jong Kook is not sleeping in the same room as me as we had just wedded.” She hesitated before continuing. “Also, when no one really knows you two are married.”

Ara nods in understanding, although she was unsure. But they could almost hear Jong Kook curse.

“It will be alright oppa. I believe in you, ok?” Ara assures him she will be fine and it’s all for the best. But deep inside, Ara wanted him to stay. She didn’t want to share her husband, but she has to trust Jong Kook.

***

“Are you sure the bed will fit us?” Jong Kook asked.

“If you don’t mind sleeping on the floor then it’s fine.” Ji Hyo stated.

“It’s fine.” He fixes some blankets on the ground as Ji Hyo slept in the bed.

“Sir Kim.”

“Yes?”

“I know you have had your drinks but I hope that just because of that, you will not climb in bed with me, alright?”

Jong Kook chuckles. “I won’t, plus I’m married already.”

Yeah, Ji Hyo thought. “Anyways, please make sure to keep your distance from over there to over here.” Then she went off to sleep, although she could hear her heart beating so fast, almost jumping from her chest.

Jong Kook chuckles to himself before looking over at Ji Hyo. But he felt a suddenly rush of blood through his chest. Nervous?

-Bam! The doors slam open. Jong Kook could barely get himself together. He quickly scrambles up and so does Ji Hyo. Ji Hyo’s father was there.

“You~ Why are you sleeping on the floor son-in-law Kim?”

“Uh… I…”

Jong Kook couldn’t think of an excuse.

“I….”

“He just rolled there, dad.” Ji Hyo quickly answered. Her father looks at them suspiciously. Jong Kook quickly picks up the blanket on the floor.

“Y-yes, I rolled down here.”

“Oh really?” Her father asked.

“Yes.”

“Then why are you standing there? Get back in bed.”

Uh-oh. “Yes, that’s what I was about to do.” Jong Kook jumps in bed with Ji Hyo. They convinced to sleep and as he closed the door, they sighed in relief.

“I’ll sleep on the floor.” Jong Kook was about to sleep on the floor but the door opened again.

Jong Kook got up again.

“Why are you on the floor again?”

“Uh…. I- I was going to the restroom father-in-law. Why aren’t you in bed?”

With his menacing eyes, “I don’t trust you two.”

“Why wouldn’t you dad?” Ji Hyo asked.

“Nothing, just instincts.”

“Dad~” Ji Hyo tried to whine.

“Alright, alright. I’m going.”

“Goodnight dad.” Ji Hyo says before the door was closed.

“I think I might have to sleep on the bed with you tonight…” Jong Kook whispered.

***

Moments into their sleep, Ji Hyo could barely close her eyes, her heart racing. Hoping that Jong Kook was asleep, Ji Hyo got up and tried to peek at him.

“What are you doing not sleeping?” His voice made her jumped.

“Gosh you scared me.” Ji Hyo held onto her chest as Jong Kook stayed in his spot, not facing her.

“Go to sleep.” He told her. Ji Hyo nodded and tried to go back to sleep. Ji Hyo scooted all the way to the end of the bed and held tightly onto her clothes and the blankets.

“I won’t do anything to you. I already have a wife.” It was as if he was reminding her or was it mocking her actions.

“I know.” Ji Hyo answered, “but it’s never too much to be careful.”

Causing Jong Kook to sit up. “I’m not that beastly.”

Ji Hyo stuck up her nose the other way. “I know but I’m not too sure.”

“Yah, I’m a general, not a beast.” Ji Hyo just look at him with her ‘so what’ expression, making him huffed.

“I’m not going to argue with you.” He turn back to sleep. Ji Hyo turns away to sleep too.

But as time passed, she still couldn’t fall asleep, especially with him sleeping in the same bed as her. It was so real, those nights that he was not there made everything seem so out of place. She tossed and turn, having an urge to touch his back as that was the only view that she saw of him.

But Ji Hyo restrained herself.

He is a married man. He is already in love. I should not be the other woman. I… I won’t be the other woman.

Ji Hyo forced herself to turn away from him. As she closed her eyes, all those scene came back to life to her. She really envied his love. She wants it. But it was like a forbidden fruit for her. Her conscience won’t let her.

**********************************************************************