Chapter 39

Day by Day

The doors open and Yoo walks in.

The blue drapes behind Jong Kook moved and shifted. Yoo greeted him.

“What’s the matter?” Jong Kook asked.

“The king ordered for Lady Kim to be taken back to the Kim’s mansion after 4 days. The investigation will still continue and for general to rest assure for the time being.”

He nodded.

“Also,” Yoo added as he grew stiff. “Regarding the Kyungin Inn,” his eyes darted towards the blue drapes then at Jong Kook.

Jong Kook notices this, “We’ll talk about that later. You leave first,”

Yoo nodded and retreated.

Jong Kook looks behind the blue drapes. He opens it and sees Ji Hyo sleeping, covering herself with the blanket.

“I know you’re not asleep yet,” he smiles, “I’ll be back, rest a lot alright?” He leans down and pecks her cheek and leaves.

She opens her eyes.

The atmosphere grew warm and eery. She touches her cheek then smiles bitterly before closing her eyes again to rest.

***

Jong Kook walks out with Yoo behind him.

“What happened?”

“Ara hurted herself.”

Jong Kook halts and turn his head to Yoo. “And you came all the way here to tell me this?”

“Also,” Yoo looks down, “she wants to see you.”

“Lieutenant-“

“General, have it occurred to you that you have left her there for two weeks now?” Yoo sighs, “I know it is not my place to say this but if you really do intend to keep your promises to both women, please, reconsider your actions.”

Jong Kook sighs and looks back at the palace.

“Get everything ready.”

Yoo frowns and looks at Jong Kook unsteadily.

***

Kyungin Inn was filled with bright colors. Ara arises from her bed as the door opens. In the maid’s tray lays a beautiful red dress. A wedding dress. Ara’s eyes lit up.

“My lady,” the maid beside her cheers up. The wedding dress was handed to Ara and her eyes shine with tears as she held the wedding clothes in her arms. Her hands caressed the design on the dress.

The bright red shirt and red skirt, filled with intricate golden linings, the sleeves consist of three stripes and white silk to the hem. Lost in the haze, she looks up in delight.

“Where is General Kim?”

***

Jong Kook looks over Ji Hyo as she lays asleep.He lies next to her and snuggles close. Their faces remains close as he studies her face. How can he do this to her? A promise is a promise but what becomes of it?

“If one day,” she smiles as he curiously turns his attention back to her. “I find someone that I love, please, let me go.” She finished.

Jong Kook froze before he nods in agreement. “I promise you.” He smiles faintly.

His face twisted in conflict. From now on, I will treat you better. I will treat you like the official wife you are.

Ji Hyo moved, startled, in her sleep. He hears her mumbling inaudible words and scoots closer. He holds her hand in his, lightly squeezing it.

“How am I supposed to let you go like this?” he whispers. Ji Hyo was sound asleep again as he held her hand. He shakes off the feeling and gets up, covering her well with the blanket before leaving.

***

Ara got in the palanquin, her face gleamed with happiness, the day she has waited for so long has come. As she arrives at the mansion, her face flushes pink as she sees the wedding arrangements.

She peeks her head up to look around, but Jong Kook wasn’t among the crowd. She was led to the ritual area. Was he coming? She nervously fidgeted as she stood with her hand covering her face.

Time starts ticking by… maybe an hour now.

Fear raises the hair behind her back… Jong Kook would never do that to her would he? He couldn’t have abandon her with a wedding dress…

“Bride and groom kneels to each other!~”

She was alarmed and peeks before her as she kneels down with the help of maids. Her eyes widen but then hides quickly.

Jong Kook kneeled down as the wedding ceremony started with his presence. He could see Ara shaking with fear as he entered the mansion quietly. He bows and completed the ceremony of becoming husband and wife with her.

“Welcome to the Kim’s Mansion, my lady,” the maid calls Ara.

Somehow, those words unnerve him.

“Which chamber should the lady reside in?” the butler asked.

Jong Kook turns to the east chamber of the pavilion, Ji Hyo’s chambers.

“Anywhere but not the east chambers. It belongs to Lady Kim.” Jong Kook spoke as he reminiscence his wedding night with Ji Hyo.

He left her all alone… to spend the night with his voice.

Ara was led to the south chambers as Jong Kook’s study room was in the west chambers.

He took a jar of wine and sipped it.

*flashback*

He slowly unite the bow to Ji Hyo’s red clothes. His face hardens as she only look down.

I’m only marrying her for the good of the two family. I only married her to keep Ara safe…

He took off the shirt, revealing her white undergarments. With Ji Hyo slowly looking up at him with the candle lit glowing around them in the room.

His hands touch the hem of her white clothes. I only… He hesitates, his hands stopping. I only…

Her eyes, full of love, content. But confusion could not be hidden. At that moment, his expressions changed. He lays her on the bed and covered her with the blanket before stepping back. He turns around coldly and leaves her alone.

I don’t like you.

*flashback to present*

He chugs down another bottle of wine.

*flashback*

He walks down the hall, passing the room. He stops and looks back as his hands clutched tightly onto itself.

He decides to enter the room, and there was Ara. She sat by the chair, holding onto the fabrics of an undone wedding cloth. He looks over her. Marriage. Pity, today was not their marriage.

Ara wakes up and sees him. “Oppa,” and she stops herself, trying to hide the undone cloths. He stops her. He looks closely at her.

“Let’s make today our wedding day,” he holds her hand, “I can’t give you a wedding now, but consider this our wedding day, ok?”

“Husband…” with tears in her eyes, she wraps her arms around his waist, setting her head on his broad chest.

He puts the cloth in his hand and smiles bitterly. “I promise, I’ll love you only.”

A part of him throb. His chest throbbed in withering pain. He pulls back and kisses her. As soon as their lips touch, he felt wary. He doesn’t like Ji Hyo. He only likes Ara. He only needs Ara.

As their clothes soon fall onto the ground, he lies in bed with Ara, repeating the words in his head over and over again like a mantra.

It was only until the night was over, Ara lie in his chest. Suddenly the doors open slowly.

“Who is it?!” He demanded loud enough for her to hear while he protectively reached for the blankets to cover Ara.

Silence, but he could hear soft footsteps making its way closer to them. Someone picked up the clothes, shuffling it around. Then he felt fabrics covering his back.

“I said who are you-“ Jong Kook turned his head back to freeze in one spot as he notice it was his new bride. Their faces inches apart as she held his clothes. Her expression was cold and blank. Her lips twitch and a thin bitter smile curved at the corner of her lips.

“I came to get you, my dear husband.”

Although her face was smiling, her eyes did not betray her feelings. A heavy weight of guilt built up. He could feel her eyes staring down at the woman lying in front of him as she could only see his and her backs.

“Or are you going to stay the night here?”

 

Jong Kook’s face turned stone hard as he gulped, seeing Ji Hyo looking at the back of the woman before him.

“I will stay the night here.” He stated. The hurt could be seen in her eyes but she quickly hid it.

“I see.” She stood for a brief second and turned around.

The doors were left open as she stepped out without looking back. Maybe she didn’t feel hurt. Maybe not. Maybe…

*Flashback to present*

Jong Kook’s head lie on the table as the jugs of liquor hovered over the table and floor. His eyes grew blurry and dark as he passed out.

“Sire,” the butler tries to wake him up but it was no use. He was in a deep slumber and sleep. Ara waited all night only to hear the news of Jong Kook’s drunkenness.

The butler tried to carry him to Ara’s chambers but he stops him. He makes a right turn and headed down the hall, stumbling, not being himself. He shut the doors and tumbles to the bed, cuddling the sheets. It was her scent.

Ji Hyo’s chamber.

He’s glad that she’s not here. Or else, he would have wronged Ara like he wronged her.

***

All of this did not escape Ji Hyo’s eyes. Her black clothes that hid her in the shadows didn’t move with the breeze.

Tied to her hand was a blue head band embroidered with gold linens. Her eyes were cold and watery. But without another second, she turned around and jumped off the roof to the back of the mansion. She makes her way through the shadows, back to the palace.

***********************************************************************

Ok I lied.

Sorry ><