Chapter 26

Day by Day

In the Song’s mansion, Yoo and Jong Kook leaned on the sidings of the wall side by side.

“Why are you here?” Jong Kook broke the silence and tension.

Yoo kept his eyes on the ground.

Jong Kook looks at him, “Did you finished what I told you?”

Yoo nodded and sighed.

“I will return to training in the next few days.” Jong Kook was ready to leave and was about to walk away.

Yoo clutched onto the hair string in his hand. “About Ara…”

Jong Kook stopped and turned back to him.

Yoo looked up at him, “What are you going to do about her?”

Jong Kook gulped, “I want Ji Hyo to remember everything before they meet again.”

Yoo stood up from the wall and walked toward Jong Kook.

“What are you going to do with Ji Hyo?”

Jong Kook could feel the eerie seriousness in his voice.

“You don’t need to know,” he answered.

“You’re hiding one woman while playing with another. Does that make you feel better?” Yoo almost raised his voice.

Jong Kook tightened his hand into a fist. “And what does it have to do with you?” he says through gritting teeth.

Yoo stepped closer, making their distance inches apart. “It has to do with me,” making Jong Kook’s gaze hazed. “As a man…”

He stops before continuing, “Who has interests in Ji Hyo.”

Jong Kook felt his body shaking with anger, he instantly grabbed Yoo’s collar. His breath heavy and burning in his chest.

“Touch a strand of her hair and I’ll kill you.”

Yoo looked tauntingly at Jong Kook. “Why?” Then his gazed turn dark. “Are you afraid that she will like me?”

“You!” their faces closer, feeling each other’s breath.

“Jong Kook.” Yoo called him. “You are selfish.”

Their eyes piercing through each other, “You want one but is unwilling to let go of another.”

Jong Kook’s grasp loosens as the words kicked in. Their bodies distant as he realized those words.

“It’s none of your business,” Jong Kook glared at him. “Mind your own position from now on,” he walked away in a huff, leaving Yoo standing alone.

As Jong Kook disappeared in the distance, Yoo huffed and leaned back on the wall.

*Flashback*

Yoo knocked on Ara’s door. She opened in the door, hoping to meet Jong Kook but sees Yoo instead.

“Where is Jong Kook oppa?” she asked.

Yoo stares at her blankly. “Please follow me.”

“Where are we going?” Ara asked.

“Jong Kook requested it.”

~ They left through the back door of the mansion. They got on the horse with a bag of clothes and hurried on their own way. They stopped as they encountered a place on the outskirts of town. There were guards around it. They got off the sword as Ara takes off her cape.

“Where is this?” she looks around at the secluded place.

Yoo looks at her, “He wants you to stay here for the time being.”

It took a moment for Ara to digest the words as she looks around. There was no one, only her and the guards of a beautiful house. Her eyes burned as she lets out a thin smile and looks at her feet.

Yoo was bothered by it, he knew how she felt.

Ara bit her lip, “So you’re saying… Jong Kook oppa…” she looks up at him in a wet eyes, “has abandoned me?” Her smile was gone, only a sad face with tears threatening to pour.

Yoo could only look away from her. “He doesn’t want you to get hurt. He is only trying to protect you.”

Ara kept her eyes on him, “Where is he?” her voice shaking. No answer was given to her as Yoo looks back at her.

“Please enter the house. Your bed has already been made. There will be maids to accompany you.”

“He’s not with her right?” she gulped, convincing herself that he is not, trying hard to believe in their love.

“Jong Kook is not with Ji Hyo right?!” she repeated. Silence, only silence. Devastated, she turned away and looked at the empty road. Tears streamed down her face as she looks at the dried dirt road in the secluded area.

“He will come back to see me right?” She asked. “He won’t abandon me… right?”

She wipes away the streak of tears. “Yes,” she smiled to herself. “He is only trying to protect me. He promised. He… he…” her voice cracked. “He loves me…” she nodded to herself and turns around, heading towards the house.

Yoo sees her slumped figure and could only breathe in the air of guilt.

Ji Hyo’s eyes grew fond and soft. “Because we are not men. Because we are not sons. Because we are living in the days where a man can have more than one wife is inevitable, we have no choice but to be patient.”

He remembers Ji Hyo’s words, her heart breaking confession. He takes out the hair band from his pocket.

Song Ji Hyo…

*Flashback to present*

Yoo looks over at the buildings. She was in there, not knowing of her ‘husband’s infidelity’. He doesn’t want Ji Hyo to go through the very same thing again, nor does he wants her to end up like Ara.

Jong Kook… Even if your feelings are real, Ji Hyo is human too. By remembering everything, it would mean that she will remember your lies and live in torture again. Can you not see, what you are doing to these innocent women?

There, he was determined.

***

Jong Kook walks to away only stop at the end of the building. His body, burning with anger. He sees the well and grabs the bucket of water, pouring it over his head, wetting himself. Then another and then another. He finally stopped as he sees his reflection in the water.

He glares at his reflection as it glares right back, then he felt it. A rush of tears came to his eyes, he finally feel to his knees as the water droplets drips down his face and drenched body.

*Flashback*

The chief held his hand as his blood got on Jong Kook’s clothes.

“Protect my children… General…” the old man’s dying wish. “Take care of them for me… for this father had not been able to…”

Jong Kook looks at the dying man as he begged for assurance. He looks over his shoulder and sees a hurt Ara with her siblings. He turns back to the chief.

“Please… I beg you…”

He was a man of honor. This man here had helped his troop, thus leading his people to danger.

Jong Kook finally nodded. “I will. I promise you… Chief Go.”

The old man finally smiled and closed his eyes.

There, he felt another weight on his shoulders. Not only should he get his men out to safety and protect the borders against the enemies, he must protect these village people too.

He closed his eyes as the smoke from the fire surrounded them.

*Flashback to present*

He closed his eyes while gripping tightly onto his clothes.

I have failed. I am a worthless fool. I am unworthy.

******************************************************************************

Sorry, no YooHyo or Spartace scenes today...