Chapter 57.5

Day by Day

1 hour til Dawn

 

(Listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SRk3wC3DNA )

 

Jong Kook securely put on his clothes, having tied his hair tightly in a knot. Putting the armor around him, he bound the sword around his waist. He turns around, seeing Ji Hyo had woken up.

Her face glowed and her eyes twinkle as she lie on her stomach, with her hands on her chin and elbows on the bed.

He looks up, seeing her leaning on the edge of the bed, glancing at him. A warm feeling swiped over his chest. It was one of the most beautiful images he has seen, her waking in bed, looking at him with the sweetest smile.

She stood up, wrapping herself in his robe. Within steps, she walks towards him, staring in awe. His black, brown hair pulled into a knot. She turns to the table, placing the helmet on his head, securely.

Her eyes blurred and quickly turns away.

He watched her return to the desk; looking into the mirror, she began to comb her hair up. Jong Kook retreats and left her alone to gather the soldiers. As he left, she combed her hair into a high pony tail, tightly with a ribbon.

No words needed. They have their own journeys and battles to fight.

***

Jong Kook stood before his army, as the streak of dawn was coming soon.

“Is everything ready?”

“Yes, General. The 4th squad has been placed by the hill side for ambush.”

“The soldiers?”

“Everyone is prepared. The injured will stay here. The next recruitment will arrive by noon.”

He nodded as he looked out to the distance on the platform. He turns around as Ji Hyo exits from the tent to the cold morning field.

She was ready to leave. But not without taking the bow and arrows behind her.

They stood face to face as the next few minutes to dawn was to arise.

He touched her hair, caressing the long locks.

Just then, the drums rung. It was dawn. The rim of the sun had come out, each ray blinding red and orange. She looks at the ready soldiers, each in perfect formation, holding their weapons by their side.

Even the injured and wounded stood firm.

Ji Hyo looks back at Jong Kook softly. “If you win, I’ll rule the world with you. If you lose, I’ll stand by your side until the end.”

Jong Kook smiles sadly before swooping to peck her lips before walking away to his soldiers. She watches him ride his horse, leading the troop to war.

The sunlight hit his armor, beaming with light, shining armor.  Masking her emotions, she turns away reluctantly, followed Bolin’s guard to meet him. He must stay alive.

*

As Jong Kook faced the vacant hill, he braced himself bravely. His uncle will be his enemy. He would do anything in exchange for his life.

He turns to his side, having spot the soldier from last night, having remember his short stature. “Soldier,” he eyeballs him. The soldier froze in his spot. Dreadfully, he dragged his feet and respectfully bowed to the General.

“You were the one who barged in last night?”

The soldier felt sweat drenching his temple. The battle hasn’t even started yet he was already depleted of energy.

“Y-y-yes, Sir.”

“What is your name?” Jong Kook sternly voiced, making the soldier tremble under his gaze.

“T-the subject is H-Ha Dong Hoon, 354, General.”

“Ha Dong Hoon,” he repeated, sizing the man. “Why are you so short?”

The soldier kept a straight face. “In my family, I am the tallest.”

Menacingly with the corner of his mouth tilting up, “Stand by my side.”

“Huh?!” the soldier almost gasp, terrified.

“Stand where I can see you, isn’t this why you joined the military?”

“Y-yes Sir.” The soldier then stood stiffly by him.

They looked into the distance as wind gust over. The sun was rising up as the rim reached the hill.

“Dong Hoon,”

“Yes Sir!” the soldier shouted, making Jong Kook grunt lowly. The soldier quickly covers his mouth for shouting so loud. Jong Kook had held to the rein of his horse.

“Stay alive.”

Dong Hoon felt a highly patriotic sense of responsibility, hearing the General ordering him to stay alive, caring for his well-being. He could die in peace now. He looks up at the General who was a manly structure of all, as if he was the God of War.

The General turns to him. “I have yet to punish you for barging in last night. In the meantime, stay alive until then.”

The soldier’s teary eyes suddenly dried as he kept a straight face, gulping. He swore, he didn’t see anything, only the General’s back.

As the first streak of sunlight hit his armor and the red, orange sun is revealed, Jong Kook takes out his sword.

A blast of firework burst into the sky.

“Charge!” He yells at the back of his throat, the troop behind him yells in unison. A swarm of human charge towards the field into the enemy territory.

Ji Hyo stood by the river, seeing Bolin and the others waiting for her. As the blast of firework burst in the sky, she turns to glance at it one last time.