Chapter 53

Day by Day

Ji Hyo stirs awake as she felt someone looking at her.

“Knock, knock,” a voice whispers. “Are you up yet?”

Her harden eyes squints open and the beaming light in the room blinded her. Jong Kook lied beside her with one hand holding his head as he stares down at her. She slowly sits up and realized they are both sleeping on the floor.

She sits up instantly, pulling the bed to her chest. “What are you doing here?” She points to the bed, “Weren’t you sleeping on the bed last night?”

He sits up and puts on his clothes. “You’re speaking as if we have never shared the same bed before.”

Of course, not in that way! She wanted to pull his hair. Irritably, she stood up and looked for her new clothes.

He leaves the room and closes it as she quickly dressed up. Ji Hyo turns to the open the door with her things.

Strange, the door wouldn’t budge. She tried to open it with all her strength but still. She heard a light metal clank.

“Hey Kim Jong Kook! Open the door right now!” she shook the door. “Do you hear me!?” After pounding on the door several times, she huffed, making the her neatly lined clothes loose.

“Kim Jong Kook!” she groans once more before stomping to the table.

Indeed, Jong Kook was right outside. He made sure to lock the door as quick as he could. He knew she would try to leave as soon as she woke up. Actual, she almost broke down the door if he had not been there to press his weight on it. Lucky, his parents are currently of the capital, leaving the Mansion empty for now.

Ji Hyo squander in her room, thinking of ways to escape. No wonder he ‘kidnap’ her to join the palace banquet and took her back here. Did he think locking her inside will stop her? No way.

“Hmph, you think that if you lock the door, I won’t know how to open the window? Fool.” She readies herself and went to the window, opening it up.

As the window opens she comes face to face with a stone-face Jong Kook. He crossed his arms and raised his brows.

“Going somewhere?” he was witty. She groan internally and smiled sarcastically.

“No.” She moved the frame, closing the window shut.

A smile curl on his lips. He had mostly seen her modest, serious, graceful side. Her mischievous and carefree attitude brought life to her other side. It was somewhat funny and charming.

What she said is true. He had yet to know enough about her. He knows that she is a great archer, somewhat of a martial artist, all of her qualities of intelligence matched that of a scholar, a well-taught student. Not only that, she was proficient with medicine as her mother was into medicine.

She was almost the perfect daughter but with her new side showing up, he can conclude that she was a perfectly imperfect person.

She had painted herself to be the perfect daughter for her father. She made herself the perfect daughter-in-law for his family and tried to be the best wife to him. Now it’s his turn. He will make himself the best husband for her.

Jong Kook still stood in the same place when the window opened again. A deadpanned Ji Hyo slowly closes the window again, defeated.

*

Ji Hyo played with the tea cup, thinking of ways to leave and file for divorce against her husband. She noticed that on the table was fruits. He prepared to give her some food right?

The door opened and Jong Kook enters with a tray of food. She lazily looked away. Setting the food on the table,

“It’s time to eat,” he takes the bowl of rice and placed the chopstick on top of it. “Eat a lot.”

He started eating on his own as he scoops some soup for her.

“The nights are becoming chillier, autumn is coming.”

Ji Hyo looks at him eat. Now that she looks carefully, in these two days, he had looked weaker, a bit thinner. His dark circles linger lightly. His tired eyes were hidden behind his bangs.

He turns to her, making her look away. She decided to eat with him. As they finished eating with no one speaking, she puts down the chopsticks and broke the silence.

“How’s Lady Go?”

Jong Kook stops at the mention of Ara before continuing to finish his drink.

“Is the baby well?” she asked, cautious with her words.

He turns to her, smiling. “I’ll be back,” He nudges towards the corner. “I brought more books for you, check them out.” And he leaves.

Ji Hyo slumps back. She shouldn’t have mention Ara, now even her mood has gone sour. The food in her stomach felt like a lump stuck in .

The thought of another woman with Jong Kook’s baby inside of her tore Ji Hyo apart. Image and the explicit sounds from that night made her tremble. Clenching her hand into a fist, Ji Hyo could feel the burning hole in her chest as that night had done to her.

No, she’s not weak. She won’t cry. She had cried enough. After today, there is only 4 days left. After that, she will be gone from his life. No use for the tears.

***

They sat in front of each other as the silence capture their moments. How should she bore him?

Clearing , “The young lad took her hand in his. With that, he moves closer, with one hand around her plumped waist. His hand roams around her bosom, his finger nibbling her harden . She moaned a prowl-“

Ji Hyo stole glances at Jong Kook to see if he was uncomfortable to leave yet, but no. He didn’t seem to care. Hmm, she knows he doesn’t have a thing for romantic novels… but it’s worth a try right?

She flips the page, “His hand held her full, bouncy bosom, lightly squeezing it. With animalistic sounds under his breath, a wave of intense pleasure overcame his body. His hands ravaged her clothes off. The sound of fabric tearing ring in her ears. His eyes widen, seeing her body. Her peaches were full, voluptuous. He her harden peaches, his tongue tantalizing around-“

Jong Kook puts down his book. He looks up at Ji Hyo while she glances at him.

Great, he is going to leave her alone now, get ready to escape.

Instead of leaving, he stood up and sat beside her. He put the book down and smile.

“Ji Hyo-ah,” his voice was soft and gentle, “Those feelings can only be found in real life.” He put his hand over hers. “The young lad took her hand in his. With that, he moves closer, with one hand around her plumped waist.” He repeated as he did the same.

Ji Hyo blinked quickly, realizing what he was doing. She uses her other hand to stop him from the touching her bosom.

“Isn’t that why you read this out loud?” he .

“A-actually-“

He smiled slyly, “We’ve been married for over 6 months, but we have not-“ He presses her on the mat, making Ji Hyo’s eyes widen. “Consummate.” He leans in to peck her cheek.

Turning her face to the side, “My-My big aunt it here!” She stuttered quickly before turning back to him. “My-big-aunt-is-here,” emphasizing every word.

He grin widely before letting go of her and sat back up. “I guess we’ll have to wait.” Turning to her, he winks and left.

She gathered herself and took the opportunity of him being gone to climb out the window when she noticed the guard had fallen asleep.

Ji Hyo was only ten steps into the yard when-

“Where are you going?” He spoke behind her. Ji Hyo stops her movements and stood up straight. He walks up to her as she strides towards the gate. The guards stopped her. Jong Kook dismisses them and stood before Ji Hyo.

He looks out the gate, “Where are you going?”

“To my father’s house,” she looks up at him. His expression grew cold and blank. It was only seconds before he took her hand in his went out he gate with her. As they walked down the path of the crowded street, he held her hand openly as others look at them.

They continue walking until he stops at the capital bureau. Ji Hyo looks up then at him.

“If you want the divorce, we can go ahead and enter the court now.” His eyes narrow. “If you want to divorce me, no need to go quietly. Declare it right here of all these people. This is the place where I live, everyone knows me, everyone knows you. What’s there to be ashamed of?”

Ji Hyo’s face twisted angrily. “Are you threatening me?”

“Yes.” He steps forward. “If you don’t declare in front of all these people, don’t bother claiming for divorce from your own father to be your judge. Who in the world would ask their own father to permit their divorce?”

“You-“

“You’re crazy. You’re the only one who would do that you quack.”

People starts looking at them as they spoke and his voice became louder.

He waited for her answer as Ji Hyo’s big doe eyes reddens and she tears her gaze away from him. Without answering him, she turns around and walk away. Down the street, she continued her way back to the Kim’s mansion. Inside, she headed straight for the training yard.

She grabbed the bow and arrows and ordered Jinri to place the target in place. She drew back the string as she placed the arrow on it. Hesitating, she held back tears and shot the arrow. Because of her blurry conscience, the arrow missed and she ordered Jinri to place it again and again.

Her hand began to hurt, sore and a red mark stain the string.

Time flew and before she knew it, it was noon to early evening. Drawing the string once more, it grazed on her skin, burning her as it cut to her skin. Blood stain the bow as the arrow shoots right throw another one to the bull’s eye.

She takes another arrow and draw it on the string only to hesitate. She wants to let go of the string and let the arrow fly but something was holding her back. She could find the strength to release the arrow, the strength to pull it back. Conflicting her mind and actions, she reluctantly put the arrow down and squat to her knees.

Ji Hyo hugged her knees and sobbed. She can’t do anything right. She was a failure. All her life, she tried to be the best and most perfect person but why is it that it is not enough. Now that she had enough and wanted divorce, she couldn’t even go through it without thinking of how she will humiliate her father, her family. She can’t even imagine the consequences.

Better yet, she can’t imagine the turbulence that is yet to come.

She should have just kept her silence and live with it. Who in this era does not have a harem or multiple wives? Well, maybe not her father or Jong Kook’s father. If she couldn’t keep her silence, she should have been adamant about the divorce. But when he told her to declare out loud to the world, she couldn’t find the courage to do so.

Ji Hyo quietly sobbed and covered her face. Wiping away the tears, she left the place and returns to her chambers.

Jong Kook had been watching her. As Ji Hyo had retreated to the room, he enters behind her. He takes her hand, applying the ointment.

“Is divorce… necessary?” he asked her.

“Yes,” she muttered.

He finishes, “Ji Hyo-ah,” but she doesn’t look at him. “Can you give me a chance?”

She rubbed her fingers together, thinking hard about it.

“Our marriage has been rocky from the start. I know I’ve done you wrong plenty and countless times. And for that, I am sorry.”

He holds her face to look up at him. “I apologize. It is all my fault. It took me forever to realize my true feelings for you. I am sorry it took so long.”

She only glared at him with her glassy eyes.

“It doesn’t matter if you love me or not. All that matters right now is that you be a good father and husband to your ‘wife’ and child.”

His face crumble but caressed her cheek. Shaking his head slightly. “You are my wife.”

He stared loving into her eyes, every word he spoke, he meant it.

“I am your husband. To care for you until old age and treasure you.”

Ji Hyo said nothing as he lightly touched her hair, tucking behind her ear. He gets up to leave.

“Your father… has been looking for you. I told him you here, it is only a matter of time before he reaches out to you. Until then, please give me a chance to show whether I am worth of you or not. Rest well,” and he leaves.  

Closing the door, he sighs deeply. The weight has finally been taken off his chest. An apology is nothing if you don’ mean it, but he meant it. With every ounce of his emotions, he had been honest.

He had been serious when he told her to tell everyone if she had wanted to divorce him. At the same time, he was afraid she would say it out loud. If she had said it, he would have refused anyway. But seeing her breakdown earlier, he felt angry at himself. He had just told himself to be the best husband for her and he goes out with threatening her with humiliation.

A chance… will she be able to forgive him?

***

Ji Hyo wakes up in the middle of the night alone as she heard shuffling around the mansion. She gets up, wearing her robe. She knocked on the locked door.

“Jinri?”

“Yes?”

“What’s going on?”

There was a moment of silence before Ji Hyo commanded for an answer. “If you don’t answer me, you better open this door right now,”

Still no answer, Ji Hyo starts throwing things at the door; books, chairs, anything that can be replaced.

The door creak open and she head towards the door with Jong Kook facing her. She stops and judging from his face, it seemed serious.

She looks at his hand and notices he was holding something. From the shape of it, she knew what it was, her hair pin.

“Why do you have-“

A high-pitch scream echoes down the hall. Ara’s voice. It brought goosebumps to her ears. What could have happened?

He touched her hand and places her back on the bed. “Go to sleep,” he only said and left he room. Jinri was about to close the door when Ji Hyo called for her.

“Jinri,” Ji Hyo looks up at her, “what happened to Lady Go?”

Jinri bowed her head and reluctantly spoke.

“Lady Go had a miscarriage.”

Ji Hyo held her breath.

“And there is evidence pointing that you were the instigator.”

“What?” Ji Hyo questioned.

***

Ji Hyo couldn’t fall sleep as she rolled and turned in the bed. The look Jong Kook gave her was one of mystery. It was discovered that Ara was pregnant only days ago and now she had miscarried. Who framed her?

She had only returned last night and spent her time only when Jong Kook took her to the capital courthouse. After that she had only been to the training yard, there is no way-

She sits up. That’s right. At that time, she wasn’t in her room. Someone could have slipped inside and took her hairpin. But how did the miscarriage happen?

Ara’s crying face that she last saw and her high-pitched scream made Ji Hyo wary. She rubs her face, her mind was a clutter mess.

***

Ji Hyo wakes up to see Jong Kook sitting by the table as he held her hairpin. Sitting up, she carefully wore her clothes. Standing behind him, she didn’t speak. He had discovered he had a child with his beloved ‘wife’ only to find out that she miscarried. Also, to be in the same place with the person who supposedly ‘instigated’ the miscarriage must be infuriating.

“About Lady Go…” she spoke, “I-“

He stands up, facing her. She flinches at his movements, backing and looking down.

He places the hairpin in her hand. “Keep it if you want, or throw it away.” She looks at the jaded pin. It was the one he had bought for her.

“I’ll call for Jinri to prepare your breakfast,” then he exits.

She gloomily turns around to hear a clash of thunder tumble in the sky. The wind blew and she could hear the soft platter of rain drops.

***

She was able to convince Jinri to open her door. She needs to clarify this problem. She did not cause the miscarriage, she ought to find out who it was that did it.

Ji Hyo stops as a reaches Ara’s chambers. She heard a light weeping inside the room. She can’t do this now. Ara is had just lost her child, she is emotionally distressed. It would only stir her more. Ji Hyo turns around and retreats.

The rain started to fall harder.

Jong Kook… where was Jong Kook? Was he inside with Ara?

Ji Hyo shook her head and stopped fumbling with her mind. The more she tried t avoid, the more Jong Kook circled her mind.

She needs to see him now.

***

Ji Hyo stayed in his study room, waiting as the night has grown dark. Seeing him enter the room, she stood up. He was drenched in the rain and cold.

Concern, she immediately walks to him with a new robe by the chair, wiping away the water that dripped down his temple.

She stopped as his hand touched hers. “How’s your hand?” He touches her hand, looking at the bandages fingers. She watches him intently as he sits her down and rebandages her wet hand.

“I…” she spoke. “It wasn’t me.”

He stops.

“I didn’t do it.” She gulps, waiting for a response.

He finishes bandaging her fingers and looks up at her.

“I know.”

His warm words and thin smile gleamed at her.

“But why are you acting like nothing happened?”

He continues to smile and take lightly squeezed her hand. “Because I trust you. I trust that you are not that kind of person.”

Ji Hyo stares dumbfounded at him. Hearing him say these words were ethereal. He lightly pinches her cheek.

“Are you going to sleep?” he gave her a cheeky grin, “Or if not, we can… you know,” he eyeballs the bed in the study room.

Ji Hyo pushes his hand away. “That’s not funny.” He holds back his grin and lies on the bed with his bed out on the side. Ji Hyo stands up but is held back by Jong Kook.

“Sleep here with me,” he asked her, with his eyes closed. “Please.” He opens his eyes and looks at her, “Just lie down for a moment, nothing else.”

Ji Hyo thought for a moment and lies beside him as they looked at the ceiling.

A long moment of silence, listening to the wind rustling up outside and the rain calmed down her nerves. She turns her head and stares at his face. His closed eyes and arm over his head, his hair brushed out of the way to the side with his fingers. His sensuous lips that were once on hers.

As she took in his image, she realized how much she will miss him. He was fast asleep when she heard him breathing lightly. Without knowing, she cuddle next to him and hugged his waist and body. Resting her head on his shoulder, she takes in his scent.

Don’t worry, she’ll try her best to find out who cause Ara’s miscarriage. Jong Kook must be depressed with everything going on.

Ji Hyo sighed and felt Jong Kook moving and his arm touched her shoulder but she looked up and he was still sleeping. She starrily gazes at him, his words repeating in her head.

“I trust you.”

She smiled bitterly. I trust you too, she wanted to say these words.

That day, she left abruptly out of anger. Her words came out form the depth of her heart and with the purpose to blame and hurt him to release her fiery.

Flashback to two days ago, the night Yoo return drunk. Ji Hyo had been helping Eun Hye with the stitching for his robe. Though she was a newbie, she was persistent. And that, made Ji Hyo excited with her.

As she helped Eun Hye with a difficult stitch,

“Honestly, I envy and pity you.”

Ji Hyo flinches but continues. “What are you saying Miss Yoon?”

Eun Hye looks at the intricate sewing and way how Ji Hyo reverse the stitch to fix it without ruining the previous stitches in awe.

“General Kim… he’s actually not that bad.”

“Really? What makes you say so?”

“The way he speaks and looks at you. A mixture of longing and hate. Confusion.”

Ji Hyo stops and looks up at Eun Hye. Eun Hye takes the robe from her and continues the regular stitchings.

“I heard that though he is an expert with dealing with business and war matters, he is actually dense with romance.”

Ji Hyo shifted uncomfortably.

“He married you for his family, not knowing it was on behalf of his grudge towards you. That’s why he acted so cold towards you. But over time, he finds himself confused with his actual feelings with you and his other woman. Aish, I messed up again.” She hands the robe back to Ji Hyo to show her how to undo it.

Ji Hyo grew uncomfortable.

“He even had to consult to sort out his feelings.”

“How do you know?” Ji Hyo looks up at her curiously.

Eun Hye eyes her for a moment before speaking again. “He told me.” She raised her hands, “I didn’t force him and there is no way here is anything between me and that slow poke.”

Ji Hyo shifted and handed the robe back to her.

“I’m serious though, it is a matter of war men’s mentality. Men like him only knows what he wants when he’s about to lose it.”

“What about you Miss Yoon?” she seriously glanced at Eun Hye. “Lieutenant Yoo initially didn’t want to be a part of this arranged political marriage. How are you going to convince him to kowtow with you?”

She pointed to the robe.

“And I know for sure this is not going to work.”

Eun Hye grinned, “I have my own way of doing things.” She continues sewing. “He may see me as a wild Mongolian woman with no self-respect, begging him to marry me. Even if I have no respect for my character, at least I don’t throw my body at him.

I’m sure you don’t do that either.” She looks at Ji Hyo seriously, folding her arms. “That’s the difference between a woman and a girl and a man and a boy. Girls do anything for the person they want whereas boys don’t take responsibility of their actions. Men and women are much smarter.”

Ji Hyo slowly puts down the robe.

“I may be speaking too much and it is not my place to say this,” she spoke cautiously, “but Jong Kook is a real knuckle head. Have you ever heard of the term, ‘difference between pretending to love and pushing away love’?

Men and women are responsible beings, the only difference is the roles we take on. When someone pretends to love someone, they try to pour their heart to be good to that person but finds themselves attracted to another person. Thus, they end up pushing that love to the real person away and try to block it. The more they mute it, the louder it shouts back. Whereas, the fake love for the first person becomes a fading image of realization.”

Ji Hyo stares at Eun Hye, dumbfounded.

Eun Hye sighs. “Nevermind, forget I said anything Lady Kim.”

Ji Hyo quietly watches Eun Hye as she excused herself to a walk. Processing Eun Hye’s words, Ji Hyo sighed to herself.

*Flashback to present*

Ji Hyo snuggles in Jong Kook’s arms. So, who did he love?

Her trust in him thins as she desperately held onto him. A streak of tear flows down the corner of her eye, wetting his shoulder.

Jong Kook open his eyes. He had been awake the whole time and he looks at her who closed her eyes. A strike of lighting and thunder rumbles and he feels her clutch tighten around him.

He lightly moves and leans on her head. As she drift to sleep, he then places her neatly on the bed and covered her with a thin blanket. He stares at her face as they slept side by side. He takes her hand in his as he observes her face. Her eyes were swollen.

He touches her face, wiping the dried tear.

He kisses her hand and slowly drifts to sleep with her.

***

With two days left Ji Hyo sits in the pavilion as she heard loud gongs ringing in the street. She heads out and sees Yoo dressed in white.

He was in mourning clothes as the servants carried a coffin and in his hands was two urns. He led the ceremony and Ji Hyo could only watch.

Yoo was being hit repeatedly by his father across the ace. Ji Hyo steps down and attempts to confront the mayor to stop hitting his son but Jong Kook stopped her.

Yoo fought back and continue leading the ceremony as he passes by the Kim’s mansion. He was too lost in thought and went passed Ji Hyo. She looks at Yoo whose face had darken and the corner of his face had a red hand mark.

***

“Yoo is holding a funeral for his sister, brother and sister-in-law.” Jong Kook stated as they sat by twatch him and his group disappeared down the road.

Ji Hyo glanced sadly at vanished figure.

“The wedding between him and the Mongolian Minister Yoon’s daughter has been called off.”

Ji Hyo turns to him, unaware of it.

“Why..?”

Jong Kook smiles bitterly and heads inside as Ji Hyo slowly follows him. Her heart tugged for Yoo. She did not want to know what happened and judging from the atmosphere, it seemed a serious matter enough to stop the marriage.

As she enters the courtyard behind Jong Kook,

“Song Ji Hyo!” a high-pitched scream echoes through the yard. A pale, disheveled Ara marches to Ji Hyo. Hitting Ji Hyo right across the face as her guard was down. “You murderer!”

Stunned by the attack Ji Hyo touched her stinging cheek as Ara glares hatefully at her.

“How-How…can you? I trusted you. Why did you do it?! Why?!” She grabbed Ji Hyo’s arm, digging her nails into it.

Ji Hyo groan as the sharp pain marked her skin. Jong Kook stops Ara’s grip, holding her back from Ji Hyo.

“Lady Go,” Ji Hyo spoke but Ara, uncontrollable threw her hands at Ji Hyo as Jong Kook shakes her away.

“Ara,” he tries to get her attention but she was having none of it. “Stop it!”

“Oppa!” she cries. “She took away our child! Why are you taking her side?!” Her face twisted in horror, “You-… You’re abandoning me?” she grabs his body, gluing herself to him. “Don’t. Please don’t leave me alone. I have no one. I can’t live without you!”

“Ara,” he tries to stop her and glances at Ji Hyo who said nothing. He takes Ara away to her chambers.

“I’ve already lost my father and family. I lost our child too. I can’t lose you, please!” she cries hysterically as her hormones act up.

***

Ji Hyo sat in the room, alone as Jong Kook enter. He busied himself and changes his clothes.

“Why aren’t you asking me anything?” Ji Hyo asked.

He puts on his new robe and sat across from her, opening the map and books.

“Aren’t you suspicious of me?”

He stops for a moment, “No.” and continues reading.

Ji Hyo was uncomfortable. Jong Kook was much too comfortable for her. Too comfortable. What if he was the one- Ji Hyo takes a deep breath.

“Who do you think did it?”

“Stop thinking so hard about it.” He still didn’t look at her. “It was an accident. Whoever did it will confess in the end.”

Ji Hyo grew irritated. “Are you indicating that-“

He looks up at her, “Indicating what?”

Ji Hyo takes a deep breath. Her focus became clear. “You think I did it, don’t you?”

He puts his book down, his face growing hard.

“You’re being nice to me, hoping that I will confess as I soften up.”

“That is only your assumption.”

Standing up, she turns her back to him as she walks towards the dressing table. “She stole you from me therefore it is only befitting that she does not get any part of you, not even your child.” She turns her head, arrogantly. “Isn’t that how the story should go?”

Jong Kook stands up and holds her shoulders, gently. “Don’t say that.”

“Why? Are you trying to convince yourself that I am innocent so you won’t feel so guilty?”

His grip on her shoulders tighten, causing her pain as his breath becomes uneven.

“Don’t fight it.” Ji Hyo spoke casually.

Jong Kook closes his eyes before reopening them. He backs her to the dressing table.

“What do you want me to do? Since you say that you are the one who made her miscarried my child, how should you be punished?” He touches the bow on her shirt. “Divorce is too easy. A life for a life. It is only fair that you give birth to another child for me.”

Ji Hyo’s face harden, her teeth clenching.

He slowly undid her bow as he looks seductively at her. “Will you?”

Ji Hyo watches his movements, how far he would take it.

He stops as his lips touched her cheek, he starts tying the bow again. Backing up, he puts the books away. “You know what I mean… You don’t have to say those words to provoke me because it certainly isn’t working.”

He leaves her as he resides to his study room.

Ji Hyo slumps down. She was pushing his limits, purposely. She chose the words that will hurt him yet how he responded, seems like it wasn’t anything, still made her upset. Did he really believe her?

***

Ji Hyo lifelessly walked through the pavilion to the bridge. She was shaken up by the whole situation. He cared for her more than before, paid more attention, ‘appreciated’ her existence.

She continued walking and bumped into something hard. She looked up and sees Yoo blankly looking at her.

“Are you done being sad yet?” he asked.

“Huh?” Ji Hyo tries to think. Without any warning, Yoo brushed her hair back, behind her ear and held her hand.

“Ji Hyo,” she looked up at him. His eyes darting at her but with genuine and firmness, gulping, “Leave with me.”

Her eyes widen and her ears perked clearly. It seem as if the world was playing with her mind.

Yoo squeezed her hand, trying to get her attention. “Leave Jong Kook and marry me.”

Ji Hyo let go of his grasp and turned away. “What are you saying? It doesn’t make sense.”

Yoo tried to stand in her view as she look out at the small pond. “I know this seems like a crazy thing but listen to me, please.”

Ji Hyo turned back to him. “I am a married woman. Not only that but the daughter-in-law of the Minister of Defense and wife of the General, your superior, Lieutenant Gong.” He didn’t bat an eyelash but somewhere in him, a hint of pain.

Ji Hyo stared at him as he didn’t say anything. “I’ll consider this conversation never happened.” She was ready to leave but Yoo grabbed her shoulders, turning her around.

He made her face him face to face, his eyes piercing at her. Ji Hyo noticed the glint in his stare.

“I’m for real though.”

“Lieutenant Gong-“ Ji Hyo tried to speak up.

He held her shoulder firmly, “Everything that I said and did, they are real.

I watched you, even without meaning too."

Ji Hyo wanted to believe in it, she really did. Just like in the beginning, she believed that Jong Kook felt the same toward her so she accepted the marriage. But it turns out it was forced upon him. She wanted to believe that Jong Kook will treat her better if she was patient. But he took care of Ara more and more, leaving her in utter hopelessness. Every day of her marriage was in darkness. Every single moment, her heart felt like it was ripped out and slowly stepped on. Ji Hyo held her tears back.

She wanted to believe that Yoo’s feelings for her were genuine, she wanted to believe that she feels the same for him too.

But a string pull at her heart, aching her. She doesn’t know what to do anymore as her head ache.

She pulled free from Yoo, almost stumbling back. Yoo watches Ji Hyo distance herself, his eyes watery. As he took one step closer, she took one step back. As he took another, so did she. He stopped abruptly as he sees Ji Hyo look at him, her eyes glimmer with tears.

Ji Hyo held onto the side of the bridge to balance herself. Her world spins and she felt her chest choking up. She grabs her the bridge and tries to calm down as tears filled her eyes.

Yoo took the chance and stepped closer. Although hurt, he stood by her side as he looks at her pitiful state. His heart ache for her. He wanted her to believe in him, so badly.

Yoo places his hand on Ji Hyo’s left cheek and slowly turns her to him. He stares into her eyes and leans down. He closed his eyes as their lips touched softly. Not knowing why, Ji Hyo lost all control and let him kiss her, closing her eyes as tears dripped down her cheek. The warm liquid glides over his hand.

The world felt as if it stopped, slowing around them. Fireflies glowed in the dark around them as the moon shined brightly. Yoo’s hands moved to her cheek, holding her face softly. The kiss was soft and gentle.

It felt like eternity before he broke the kiss. He slowly opened his eyes and looks at the woman in front of him. She was still the same charming woman like when he first met. He wiped her tears away with his thumb. Ji Hyo opened her eyes and tried to look at him.

Suddenly, she felt the world going black and lost all balance, fainting. Yoo quickly pulled her into his chest, catching her in time. 

***

Ji Hyo woke up in bed, seeing the back view of someone. The person turns slightly, seeing that she is awake, walks toward her.

Gong Yoo.

He sat beside her, “You’re up?” he asked softly. “Do you feel any better?”

Ji Hyo slowly nodded, reminiscing the earlier events. He smiled thinly.

“That’s good then.”

“Yoo,” Ji Hyo tries to get up.

“My feelings,” he kept his eyes on her, “are sincere and real. I’m not playing around either.” He looked down and took a deep breath before looking back at her. “I won’t force you to leave with me. But just know, I never played with you. Get well soon.”

He took out a small pouch and put it in her hands before leaving her alone without another word.

Ji Hyo stares blankly at the pouch and at his disappearing view.

 

 

Don’t talk, act.

Don’t say, show.

Don’t promise, prove.

-quote-

 

*********************************************************************