Chapter 33

Day by Day

Ji Hyo greeted her in-laws and tried to stay composed. She walked to her bedroom and stopped there, hesitating to go in. She raised her hand slightly and touched the door, opening it.

The door creaked a little and she enters the empty room. The atmosphere was different this time.

She sat by the empty table and set the bag on the table. Then there was a letter on her bed and she opened it up, reading the contents.

Jong Kook looked everywhere for Ji Hyo around the border but he couldn’t feeling frustrated he refuse to leave. The guards and soldiers came through and told him that she had already arrived at the Kim’s mansion, making him rush back home to his wife.

He runs inside without acknowledging anyone and any messages or reports when he ran through the court yard to look for her. He ran inside the bedroom but she wasn’t there. He was about to shout but he sees a familiar figure sitting at the pavilion. He rushes towards her as he sees her sitting alone, knowing fully well it was her. He grabs her shoulder and she turned around and looks up at him. He was angry and wanted to lecture her but stopped.

“Sire?” her cheeks flushed pink and the smell of liquor lingers. She gave him a crooked smile and holds up the cup of wine and handed it to him.

His anger fluctuated as he saw her face but now he’s upset she drank and got drunk. He takes the cup of wine out of her hand and sat beside her. “Ji Hyo-ah,”

“Hm?” she asked dryly as she stares in his eyes. He felt light and speechless as her big doe eyes gazes at his. She takes his hand and give him the cup of wine again. “You try this, it’s,” she holds up two thumbs, “awesome.”

Her big smile and childish side was coming out. He takes the drink from her hand and sets it aside before he sees her smile and kept her eyes on him. Suddenly, he felt concerned.

He takes her hand and holds it as he stares into her eyes, genuinely. “Are you alright?” His voice was stable and soft. “Did you get hurt?”

She looks at him with a fading smile, “No.” and takes his hand to her chest, “But this hurts.”

He was almost astounded. Her eyes grew soft and became watery as she cups his face. “Why didn’t you write me a letter? Did you know how worried I was?”

Speechless, he could only look at her in guilt.

“I did… I wore you a letter but you were gone,” he whispered.

“Really?” she asked with a blank face. “Why didn’t you write it earlier? Why did you have to wait for so long before sending it? Did you want me to die of loneliness? Huh?!” She half pouted.

Seeing her curled, pouty lips, he holds her hands that cupped his face. “Who told you those words?”

She looks back at him. “I read too you know. I read many books and wasted my time away to not think about you but,” she bit her lip, “I keep thinking about you. Did you think of me too?”

She searched his face for an answer as he said nothing. She lets go of his face but he held her hands, keeping them on his face. He didn’t want to lose her touch. She looks on the ground as he kept his eyes on her.

“I did. Crazily.” he answered, making her look back up at him. “I thought of you like crazy, seeing you everywhere like a madman.”

Ji Hyo’s face lit up as their eyes lock. He let go of her hand and lightly hugs her in his chest. Her lips curled up into a smile and let the feelings soak in.

He slowly rocked her body against his, swaying from side to side. “Don’t do this again okay? Don’t go anywhere without telling me, you scared me to death you know?”

She rested her head on his broad shoulder and raised her arms to hold him too.

The night grows quiet but the servants sees the couple together, their bond closer than before. Does that mean… he favors her now? Will Ara come back to the house hold?

But these two only thought of each other in the moment of meeting again.

He releases her as he pours a drink and drank with her. They talked about the things they did all while he came back.

Being a general and man, he did not get drunk easily but he did try to make her sober up by giving her honey water. It was midnight when all of the wine had been gone. He only looks at her as she did many things that she would never dare to do. She played games with him, including words games, riddles.

Ji Hyo stands up with her hands on her hips then points to the sky as she recites the riddle. “

“You are,” he answers, making her smile.

“You knew it already huh?”

He stops her from taking another wine bottle. “That’s enough for the night, you will have a headache tomorrow.”

She pulls the bottle again but he takes it away from her. She gave him her big puppy eye, child-like look with her pouty lips. He pinched her cheeks and grin.

“Don’t look at me like that or I will really kiss you.”

Ji Hyo smiles at him cheekily and he holds her hand as he stands up. Though she holds his hand, making him turn back to her.

“You,” Ji Hyo pointed at him. “Yah Kim Jong Kook… you,”

Jong Kook looks down at her and leans forward with their distance almost an arm’s length apart.

She leaned on one elbow and stopped pointing at him.

“Aish what’s this?” she hits her chest a few times. Ji Hyo sits still as she fidgeted in her seat. She sat up promptly and stares at him with her doe eyes.

“What is it?” he asks.

She continues to study him. “You’re so handsome…”

He stops for a second and chuckles. “Of course,” then continue his next drink.

“My heart hurts…” she whispered. She clutched onto her chest then turns her head back to him. He stares at her intently with her change in response.

“Why does my heart hurt so much?” Tears brimmed in her eyes. “Sir Kim… can you tell me why?”

Jong Kook slowly gets up and kneels before her as he cups her hand to become warmer.

“Did you remember something?” he asked in a mere whisper.

Ji Hyo slowly nodded her head.

“It’s not something good… right?” he asked again. Ji Hyo nodded her head again, making him falter. He raises one hand to cup her face. “Forget it. Don’t remember it, ok?” She curls and bit her lips as she turned away. Tears streamed down her face as she starts crying to herself.

His heartache as he stands up and hugs her, burying her face against his body.

Some memories just never goes away…

Ji Hyo raises her hand, clutching onto him.

*Flashback*

Ji Hyo opens the letter in the empty room and turns around, leaving.

She ends up at a part of the town, close to the other gate but inside the town. She meets a small area, where there were many people dressed in plain clothes. A man from the crowd sees her and runs to her, bowing before her feet.

Everyone turns to her.

“Lady Kim,” the woman bowed. Flustered Ji Hyo looked around the place.

“W-what are you doing?” she helps the man up. The man bows his head to her.

“Thank you for your gracious mercy. My children and wife are much better now. I could never thank you enough.”

Confused, Ji Hyo tries to speak up but a woman walks out of the cottage with two babies in her arms. She runs to Ji Hyo and bows down, thanking her.

“We thought you would never get our message, it’s an honor to see you here.”

Ji Hyo helps her up. “I…um.” She didn’t know how to react. These people are thanking her for helping them. Was she some kind of charity owner? Or did she help people?

The woman looks around, “I guess the other Miss did not come today?”

“The other Miss?” Ji Hyo wondered.

“Oh, Miss Go. Last time, you both came and helped us re build this area. We truly thank you.”

Miss Go. Miss Go… Could it be?

Ji Hyo gave them a thin smile as she helps them and talked about their new place.

~ on her way back to the mansion

“Isn’t that Lady Kim?” she heard someone whispered.

The group of women comes together and start chirping. “You’re right it is her. Why is she here?”

“I’m not sure, haven’t seen her for a while now.”

One lady turned to the other, “Oh, that’s right. Where is the other Miss too?”

The other lady sighs, “I feel bad for Lady Kim every time I see her now.”

“Why?”

“Knowing that your husband can marry many women and you have to keep your gracious image in town. She seems like such a nice person too.”

“Don’t bring up that other Miss,” one scolded.

Ji Hyo stops and turns to them, making them quickly busying themselves. She turns back to continue her way back but an image of a pendant falling and her turning back to look for it. Ji Hyo quickly turns back but sees nothing, only every one busying themselves.

“I wonder what happened to that young lady from before.”

“I thought she and General Kim had already gotten married,”

“Oh my, if they did then why would he marry this new lady?”

“Haven’t you heard? She is Minister Song’s daughter.” The old ladies gossiped to each other.

“That’s probably why, considering he is a general after all and the other girl was just a commoner.”

“I feel bad for the new Lady Kim though.”

“Why?”

“Haven’t you seen General Kim and that young lady out around before? I’ve seen them run around Anyang, flirting like butterflies without wings. He doesn’t seem to treat the new Lady Kim like that from what I see.” A young lady answers.

“Oh my, pity the new lady Kim,” the old ladies whispered. “She seems like such a nice woman too.”

Ji Hyo turns back to the women and walks up to one of them, a young girl. The girl seemed afraid of her as well as the other woman.

She looks at them one by one before speaking.

“This young Miss,” she carefully states, “Please stop mentioning her loosely like this.”

“Y-Yes, Lady Kim.”

Ji Hyo turns away this time and came to the Kim’s mansion again. Frustrated, she sat by the pavilion until she remembers something. She ordered for wine bottles and started drinking away. She remembered seeing Yoo did that in one of the flashbacks and decided to try it for herself.

*flashback to present*

He puts her on the bed carefully and covers her body with the blanket. He gets up and decides to let her sleep as he goes back to the capital bureau center for reports.

He was restless as he goes through the files in the office. He couldn’t keep his mind clear.

A knock on his door. He gets up and there was a man. Jong Kook bowed and lowered his head.

“Marshal Kim.”

The man looks at him and walks in to sit down.

The two men sat in front of each other as Jong Kook gives him a cup of tea.

“Thanks for coming,” Jong Kook bowed his head. “I didn’t think you would.”

The man nodded his head. “What is the urgent matter?”

“There is a Yuan assassin.”

The man’s eyes stiffen. “Does the King know about this?” Jong Kook shook his head.

“I’m planning to capture him first.”

“What is his name?”

“Kenji Wu.”

His uncle looks at him. “I’ll try to help you find him.”

“Thank you Marshal Kim.”

The man looked at him with a soft look. “Uncle. Just call me uncle.”

Jong Kook nodded, “Yes, uncle.”

His uncle took a drink of tea and relaxes. “So, how have you been these years?”

“Thank you uncle for worrying,” Jong Kook bows his head in respect. “I’ve been well.”

“I mean your marriage,” the uncle smiles. “I heard you’ve been married for some time now.”

Jong Kook suddenly has a smile written over his face, “Yes, it’s been three months now.” But his smile faded bit by bit.

“Is there something wrong?” the uncle asked.

He thinks for a while before answer. “Nothing, sir.”

The uncle puts down the cup of tea. “Now, there is definitely something.” He leaned closer, “Are you in a double marriage?”

Jong Kook sits up straight and looks at his uncle in the eye, “H-How did you…uncle?”

His uncle sits back, “I was right,” he sighs. Jong Kook was embarrassed by the situation and lowered his head.

“That’s not something to be ashamed about,” his uncle stated then looks at him seriously, “unless you are playing around with one person.” He sees Jong Kook’s head cower down. He pokes Jong Kook’s shoulder with a stick.

He studies Jong Kook. “Tell me the story.”

~ moments later

His uncle crosses his arms as he leans back in his chair while Jong Kook cower his head in shame.

“Do you love her?” his uncle asked.

“Uncle,” Jong Kook looks up.

“Answer me,” his uncle’s voice became stern. “Do you love your wife?”

“Which one?” Jong Kook whispered.

His uncle glares at him, “The one you married of course.”

“Well,” Jong Kook tries to think. “Well, um… She…”

“Just answer me!” his uncle shouted. Jong Kook sat back.

“Wow,” Jong Kook exclaimed. “As expected of the Marshal, still as strong and vocal as before.”

His uncle seriously looks at him. “I can’t believe you are this slow. You were able to handle military orders without a hitch and yet you are moving like a snail in romance.”

“Weren’t you like that too?” Jong Kook retorted.

“I made up my mind, not like you squandering around.”

Jong Kook looks away. “What should I do then?”

“Only you can answer yourself.”

“Didn’t you ask me to help me?”

His uncle glared at him, “Song Ji Hyo. She is the one who will be known to others, she will be the one to hold up your name. Go Ara is the woman you cared about but she is not the one you married. Therefore she is not your wife. She is not beside you, your wife is. In reality, Ara is your mistress unless you make her your second wife, a concubine. Understand?!”

Jong Kook was speechless as he sat there after being shouted at.

“Jong Kook-ah, only you can decide your life. But your wife will be the one to walk down that path with you. If you decide to make Ara your concubine because you feel it can only be right that way then you are wrong. If you made her your concubine because you love her then go ahead. But remember, promises are meant to be broken.” His uncle said the last sentence bitterly.

Jong Kook looks up at his uncle who looks at him bitterly. “Marshal Kim…”

His uncle gets up, “About the assassin I will help you find him, focus on your life right now.”

His uncle with his limping leg, exit without anyone seeing as he walked out the door.

Jong Kook sat still as he remembers everything that happened to his uncle.

*Flashback*

Years ago…

“Kill the traitor!” The King announced.

Jong Kook went on his knees, “Your majesty!”

His uncle looks at the King in horror.

Someone was ready to charge in and fight off to the Marshal. But Jong Kook stood up and stopped them.

“Your majesty, Marshal Kim is not a traitor!” Eighteen year old Jong Kook yells, “Please investigate this matter before punishing him.”

“You dare to defy the King’s orders?” the eunuch demanded. “Bring down the traitor’s family.”

Jong Kook and his uncle’s eyes widen. His aunts, uncles, his parents, cousins, and grandparents were brought out to the courtyard. The whole Kim family.

Jong Kook was about to run to his parents but the guard fought him off. Jong Kook fought with them but he was injured far too much as blood starts to drip down his hand. His mother cries for him to stop but he refuses to do so. He fought them off and runs to his parents only to be slashed down on his back with a sword, making him stumble on the ground. His mother screams for him.

“Your majesty, please spare my son’s life,” his mother pleaded. “He has stood by as a loyal servant to your majesty for years. Please, don’t kill him. If you want, punish this parent of his that didn’t teach him better.”

“Mother,” Jong Kook called with his voice cracking. The King look away and refuses to acknowledge anything.

“Punish the traitor’s alliance.” The eunuch called as the King sat on the throne silently.

A whip was pulled out and the man was about to whip Jong Kook but his uncle grabbed it, the whip slicing on his flesh and drips of blood streaming down to the ground.

The guards were afraid. The soldiers, his troop all look up.

His uncle looks at the King, “If it is the Heaven’s will then I shall be punished. But how can the son of God be irrational?”

“Silence! How dare you question the King’s actions?” the eunuch yells.

“If it done thoroughly then I shall accept the punishment, if not then I shall request for the reasons why his Majesty wants to get rid of me.” His uncle iterate.

The King walks down the throne, making everyone surprised. He stops in front of the Marshal.

“Is the loyalty of these soldiers yours or mine?”

His uncle looks back at the King. “Your majesty…”

“If their loyalty is mine then I order for them to attack you.”

The soldiers that the Marshal brought in stops and stiffens in silence, each of them looking at each other. His uncle looks back at the soldiers who hesitates to come forth.

Everyone knew it now. The loyalty of the soldiers is to the Marshal and not that King. The King continues to stare at him.

“I believe, Marshal, that this is enough reason to punish you.” The King turns back to the steps and walks to the throne.

His uncle slowly lets go of the whip and someone slashes his back leg, making him kneel. Then a few guards pin him down with a sword at his neck.

“The traitor, Marshal Kim shall be punished. His sons are to be executed, his daughters demoted to the status of a slave. His relatives to be demoted,” the King announced. He turns and sees the Marshal’s wife looking at the Marshal in pain. The wife was in pain, seeing her husband on the ground and hurt yet she couldn’t do anything.

The King looks back at the Marshal, “The Marshal is to be executed by noon of tomorrow.”

Then his uncle was dragged away as blood trailed behind him.

“U-uncle…” Jong Kook called out as he looks at his uncle. But his vision blurred and the world started spinning. His mother runs to him and hugs him in her arms. He only remembers looking at his uncle’s disappearing back.

*Flashback to present*

Jong Kook sat in the empty room.

But in the end, the King decided to let the Marshal be exiled into the mountains of Goryeo’s most isolated island. Why? No one knew why until the day after the Marshal’s sentencing. The Marshal’s wife was becoming the King’s concubine.

There was an uproar in the court room but the King heard to no one’s pleas. The Marshal’s two daughters were demoted to slaves and his two sons were executed. Only after the first month of the concubine’s marriage to the King, the first daughter died protecting the second sister who died of pneumonia in the winter.

The concubine committed suicide and nothing was heard after that.

The Kim family, Jong Kook’s branch was later back in power in the court as Jong Kook and his father dedicated their life to protect the country and their loyalty to the King. For his father, it was to protect their family. But to Jong Kook, it was to protect his uncle.

Although his uncle was branded as a traitor who had full potential to become sway the troops to rebel against the King, it never happened. His only hope was to do what he could to bring his uncle back to the country rather let him be isolated all alone.

But now, it was the first time he had seen his uncle again. The limping on his leg was due to the slash of his leg muscles.

His uncle, his Marshal, his god. He respected him more than the King, more than anyone in his life. His savior.

“Jong Kook-ah, only you can decide your life. But your wife will be the one to walk down that path with you. If you decide to make Ara your concubine because you feel it can only be right that way then you are wrong. If you made her your concubine because you love her then go ahead. But remember, promises are meant to be broken.”

His uncle’s words ring in his head.

Jong Kook stands up and made his way back to the Kim’s mansion. He re-enters the bedroom and sees Ji Hyo sleeping in bed.

She stirs awake as she the slits of her eyes open. “Sir Kim…?” She holds her head as it aches and snuggles close as he sat by her. “Did you leave again?”

He shook his head. “I never did.”

She smiled. “That’s good.

He only looks at her, fondly. Ji Hyo curls up and looks at him.

“What’s wrong?”

“Ji Hyo-ah.” he calls her.

“Yes?”

He takes a moment of silence before speaking. “Listen to what I say carefully okay?” He looks into her eyes.

“We are not in love. We never were. We only got married for political meanings.”

She seems awake now. The soft look in her eyes disappeared as she sat still.

“Why… are you telling me this?” she asked.

“Because… I am in love with someone else.” He gulps as the words he spoke made him afraid.

Now he could see tears welling up in her eyes. “Love?”

He slowly nodded. “B-“

“How much do you love her?” she asked. He stops for a moment. “Do you love her… more than me?”

“I…”

“Do you even know what love is?” she asked once more, making him speechless, he doesn’t know how to answer her. “So, at the Song Mansion, everything was just fake? Your kindness, your words, your actions…? It was all a lie huh?”

He couldn’t look at her anymore and ends up looking away at the ground.

“Get out, I want to sleep.” she turns around and covers herself. He sat alone as she turns her body around. He wants to pull her around and tells her that it’s true. What he did was real, not fake.

But he decided to get up and walk out the door. Ji Hyo opened her eyes and gets up to look at the door.

He really left. She told him to leave but she finds herself wanting him to open the door and tell her it was real. That he didn’t pretend to be nice to her.

***

The next day, Ji Hyo wakes up and sees the Jong Kook sitting outside of the bedroom door. Did he stay there last night? He rouses awake and sees Ji Hyo. He stands up and straightens himself. His hair was still disheveled and she could see the dark bags under his eyes.

“Choose me, or her,” Ji Hyo stated.

“What?” Jong Kook tried to ask.

“It’s either me or Ara.” Ji Hyo repeated. “Divorce me and marry Ara or ‘marry’ me and leave Ara.”

He could hear the seriousness in her voice. The tone she used was ruthless. “How did you know her name?”

“I remembered.” She answered.

His brows furrows as he tried to observe her, his body stiff.

“I promised her father to take care of her. She has nowhere to return to, this is her home.”

“So you’re choosing her?”

Jong Kook ruffled his hair, “You’re speaking nonsense. You have to understand, it’s not as easy as you think.”

Ji Hyo only glared at him and Jong Kook clenched his teeth.

“She is a woman you promised to take care of, not love.” Ji Hyo kept her root.

“Ji Hyo.”

“Did you promise anyone anything for me?” she asked, making him really angry.

She stepped up closer, shortening the distance between them. “Do you love me?”

He flinch, hesitating whether she was really asking him that question.

“You refused to let me free and refuse to divorce me back to my family. Do you have any feelings toward me?”

She stepped closer again, making their body a mere foot apart.

“If you don’t love me or plan to love me, then divorce me. I don’t want to waste my time and energy with someone like you. Either you divorce me or love me, it’s not that hard, is it? If it’s that difficult, divorce me before I divorce you.” Ji Hyo said with knives that stuck to him.

Then she pushed pass him as she walked away.

Jong Kook fidgeted to himself. Why is it so hard to talk to her? The old her did not even say anything at all, no complaints. Or is this how she really felt all along?

***********