Chapter 27

Day by Day

Ji Hyo wakes up and see the empty bed. It is the 6th night Jong Kook had left her side. Well, ever since the Kim’s mansion to here, he has never stayed in the same bed as her. He was always sleeping outside.

She rubbed her puffy eyes and yawned.

“Wait.” she looks around and sees the whole room lit up. “It’s already morning… Ugh, I’m late.” she scurried and put her clothes on.

She fixed her hair as she ran out to the hall and enters the kitchen. She stops abruptly as she sees someone already in there.

Ji Hyo wonders to herself and slowly approaches the person. The person turns around and she sees him, grey face with black charcoal smears.

“AH!” she and the person both screamed. Ji Hyo fell back and cursed at him. The man stared wide eyed at her in disbelief.

He scratched his head. Ji Hyo realizes who he was, points at him.

“You?”

He looks back at her and nodded before reaching a hand towards her to help her up. She looks at him as the kitchen was foggy with fire smoke.

Her eyes flash as she held her head. He strides forward and helps her up. He sits her on the seat and holds her head, trying to inspect if she was hurt anywhere.

Ji Hyo’s eyes burned with the smoke and her eyes grew teary.

He sees her struggling to open her eyes and blows her eyes. She opens her blurry eyes to see him again a tear dripped from her eye.

Their face inches apart as Ji Hyo fully opens her eyes and stares at him. He did the same and yet, he used one finger and wiped away the burning tear.

Her breath felt like short.

What is this? Ji Hyo wondered and her chest start to flutter. He wipes away her tear as he continues to look at her.

“Is it better?” he finally asked.

Snapped away from her thoughts, Ji Hyo quickly moves back. “Y-yes.”

He steps back and continued eating on the kitchen counter. His hair scraggily, he dressed in a uniform, similar to the one she saw last time.

Ji Hyo stares at him as he continued to eat his half cooked food. He looks back at her as he sees caught her gaze.

“What? Haven’t seen anyone eat before?”

She quickly looked away as he continued eating. Then she turns back to him in confusion. “Why are you here?”

“To eat, of course.”

“I know. I mean, why are you in my house in my kitchen?”

“Who says this is your kitchen?”

“Me.” Ji Hyo retorted. He smirks and put the bowl down as he finished eating.

“What should we do today?” he asked.

“What do you mean?” Ji Hyo backed up.

He crossed his arms. “To help you remember,”

She looked at him blankly.

“Pabo, (Fool/Idiot)” he emphasized.

Ji Hyo registered his words then glares at him.

“Where is Sir Kim?”

Her words darken his face.

Sir Kim? He made you called him the same thing again…?

Then he looks back at her, teasingly and breaks into a smile. “Are you tired? Wanna go out today?”

She felt wary but there was a tingling sensation, seeing his face that smile. Her head automatically nodded.

***

Ji Hyo finished cooking and the table was set as her father ate joyously. Jong Kook was nowhere in sight. She sighed.

“Is there something bothering you?” her father asked.

“Nothing,” she smiled quickly. “Do you feel better today father?”

He nods. “The food has gotten better.”

After they talked about her childhood, Ji Hyo finally stammers to her father.

“Have you seen… my husband?”

He grins, “Why? Are you tired of seeing this old man?”

“No, that’s not it,”

He laughs, “Son-in-law Kim said he had to do something at the market and troop in the city.”

“Oh…” she sighed again. “and he didn’t even tell me…” she mumbles. “Father,” Ji Hyo suddenly remember something. “You know Yeo Jin right?” Her father looked at her then finally realized that Yeo Jin didn’t come with them.

***

Ji Hyo dressed up in her young lady hanbok, braiding her hair and putting it in a bun. She covered her head with a skirt before going to the front gates, meeting Yoo, who dressed in a regular scholar hanbok for once.

“Wow,” she exclaimed.

He looked rather different. Manly, she must say, and smart too.

“Come on,” he smiled at her with a fan in his other hand. They walked side by side under the afternoon sun.

Passing the markets and road, they kept walking around the people and children. As more people gathered around, Yoo stood in front of her, leading her way. Ji Hyo, blinded by her skirt from revealing herself, was losing sight of him.

He stopped and turned back, seeing that she was gone. He sees her struggling to get through the crowd which he initially goes back and takes her hand.

Ji Hyo feels his hand on hers and let her skirt cover fall over her head to her shoulders. He led her way, holding her hand amongst the crowd.

Ji Hyo feels fluffy, light then tense. The familiar gesture of her holding a man’s hand and him leading the way. Her breath stopping, Ji Hyo struggled to breathe.

As soon as they got out of the crowd, Ji Hyo took a quick gasp of air, startling him.

“Are you alright?” he asked.

Ji Hyo stops and looks at him. The images that flashed in front of her confused her. She looks back up at him and stammers.

“By chance….”

Before she could continue, the sound of clanking gong fired through the place.

“Puppet show, Puppet Show!” A man claimed and announced. “The best of Gwangju is here to perform, everyone please come watch!”

“Let’s go,” he smiles and they walked toward the outdoor show.

The group played the show, the King and the Clown.

Ji Hyo watched intensely as she heard the voices. As soon as the ending came, she could hear the music being played in the background and the legendary group singer sung in the background.

People started crying and many applauded them.

Yoo turns to Ji Hyo and finds her staring at the stage, speechless but no tears.

“You are really stubborn,” he points out. She turns to him.

“Why?”

“Everyone is crying and you’re not.”

She looks around her then back at him. “Do I have to?”

He chuckles. “You can,”

Ji Hyo just stares at him blankly then back up at the stage.

They continued down the street as she looked around. “How did you know we were here?”

He points to his head, “My intellect.”

“You don’t look that smart…” she mumbled, making him sigh. “I remember now,”

Ji Hyo looks at him, “What is your name? You never told me your name.”

“My name is,” he unfolds the fan and fans himself.

Suddenly someone snatched Ji Hyo’s arm, pulling her way from him. Yoo turns and sees Jong Kook there. Jong Kook pulled Ji Hyo behind him, making her stumble.

The men stood eye to eye, the tension starting already. Ji Hyo, confused by the sudden grasp and presence Jong Kook stared wide eyed at him.

Yoo looks at him intently then at his grasp on Ji Hyo’s hand. His eyes flicker. “Nice seeing you here, Jong Kook.”

Ji Hyo noticed a change in their voices. Jong Kook stares at him, “Don’t ever,” he says gritting his teeth, “take her out without my permission.”

“I-“ Jong Kook pulled Ji Hyo away before she could say a word to Yoo.

His grasp tightens and drag her with him, leaving Yoo alone. Yoo only stood in the same spot, looking at the empty spot in front of him. He turns to see Jong Kook dragging Ji Hyo away then clenched his hands into a fist.

***

Jong Kook had finished analyzing the reports from the prison headquarters in Pohang. After interrogating the assassin from two days ago, he finally spoke out. Jong Kook crushed the piece of paper in his hands.

The assassin was ordered to kill Minister Song from a Japanese leader’s order. But he was more worried. He was targeted before then it was Ji Hyo, now her father. There must be something going on that he doesn’t know.

He exits the prison and is greeted by the soldiers. He was walking way when he kept thinking about the situation. He stops and rubs his face. So many things are going on at the same time and he just can’t make up his mind.

A sparkle caught his eye as he turns to look at it. A hairpin. He picks it up, the silver pin and ornaments mesmerized. A thin smile curved on his lips.

Ji Hyo.

He bought the hairpin and turned around, making his way through the market to look for something for Ji Hyo. He sees paper lanterns being displayed brightly and children running around. A loud cheer from crowds and plays going on.

Just then, he turns his head to see her.

Ji Hyo was outside in the market but she wasn’t alone. His eyes laid to the person in front of her. Gong Yoo.

His brows furrowed in suspicion and itching anger immediately. He rushed towards them, grabbing Ji Hyo’s arm first, pulling her behind.

Jong Kook pulled Ji Hyo behind him, making her stumble.

The men stood eye to eye, the tension starting already. He stares at Yoo, who stared right back, as if the tension from last night had still lingered.

Yoo’s eyes flicker. “Nice seeing you here, Jong Kook.”

Jong Kook stares at him, “Don’t ever,” he says gritting his teeth, “take her out without my permission.” He hated the look on Yoo’s face.

“You’re hiding one woman while playing with another. Does that make you feel better?” Yoo almost raised his voice.

Jong Kook tightened his hand into a fist. “And what does it have to do with you?” he says through gritting teeth.

Yoo stepped closer, making their distance inches apart. “It has to do with me,” making Jong Kook’s gaze hazed. “As a man…”

He stops before continuing, “Who has interests in Ji Hyo.”

“I-“ Jong Kook pulled Ji Hyo away before she could say a word to Yoo.

***

He didn’t stop, his frustration overriding his feelings. Jong Kook continue to hold her tightly. Ji Hyo groan as he pulled her along. Her head starts aching as she looks at his back.

Jong Kook finally stopped, turning around to face Ji Hyo.

“Why did you go out?”

She stares at him, confused, a little shaken by his sudden question. It was just a question but his voice made her jumped.

“I…” she felt really unsure.

“Didn’t I tell you about staying inside? Why are you always putting yourself in danger? Why?!”

Ji Hyo looks down.

With no answer, Jong Kook left her standing there alone as he walked away. Ji Hyo looks back up at him with her eyes teary. His back walking away from her, then a small hint of darkness enter her vision.

He’s walking away from her. The place looks like the Kim’s mansion. Her eyes were blurry.

*Flashes*

 “Why did you go out like this?”

His stern voice made her whole body stiff, Ji Hyo tried to look up at him but shame and embarrassment stopped her.

“Answer me.”

Ji Hyo took a deep breath and look up at him.

“I-“

“Never mind.” He look away, making Ji Hyo feel guilty. “I honestly don’t care why you went out. But you should be aware of your actions in the future. The Kim’s are not toys, Miss Song.”

“That’s not it.” Ji Hyo tried to explain. “I just wanted to go out.”

“Then go out in proper clothes.” He looked at her from head to toe. “Song Ji Hyo, you wanted me to treat you like the official wife you are but I can’t if you are going to ruin my name.”

Pang! Ji Hyo didn’t know what to say. He covered her head with the skirt behind him, the one he was holding behind him. Ji Hyo could only look down. Then he turned around and walked away.

Ji Hyo looked up at him with tears in her eyes but swallowed down her pride. She turned away and sniff, refusing to let her tears fall, although disappointment was all she felt now.

*Flashback to present*

Ji Hyo gasped to herself. Her feet slowly crumbling under her. Tears started to brim in her eyes.

What is this? She felt her chest hurting.

His image grew further as she looks up at his disappearing back.

Why does it hurt so much?

Ji Hyo, with all her might, stood up and stumbled after Jong Kook.

She could see them so close but a sudden image of the flash made her slowed down. The look in his eyes were monotone, as if he was annoyed and angry. Ji Hyo stopped and watched him enter the bedroom, slamming the door behind him.

Jong Kook slammed the door behind him and stares at the empty room. He slumped by the wall and hit his head on the wall as he closed his eyes.

Why the hell did I do that?

He clenched his fist.

Why is it always like this? The way how Yoo made her smile… so effortlessly, yet he put in so much effort to make her happy.

He took deep breaths, thinking of what he had just done. He pushed her away, left her alone, and yelled at her.

Just like before.

He bit his lips and covered his face. She must be so confused now. He took out his anger on her.

Jong Kook felt a soft touch on his hand, making him look up.

Ji Hyo squatted in front of him and touched his hand. He sees her face in contrast to before, a calm demeanor.

“I am sorry.” She spoke out calmly but her eyes were set on the ground.

Now, he was the one being shaken.

“I should have told you first.” She looks up at him. “Please forgive me.”

He froze, almost holding his breath. His eyes concentrated on hers, there was only calmness and sincere. He slowly shook his head.

“N-no.” he said. “I should be the one to apologize to you.”

Ji Hyo’s eyes flicker and shook her head. “It’s my fault.” She sees his dark under eye bags and notices his disheveled hair. “You must have been really tired.”

She raised her hand to touch his face. “Don’t sit here like this. Get a lot of rest.”

He stares wide eyed at her.

“Am I that pretty?” she smiled.

Unknowingly, he nodded his head.

Ji Hyo chuckled lightly. “Come on,” she stood up and held his hand, making him stand up. She sat him down by the bed and took off his shoes.

He stopped her. “Why are you doing this?”

She doesn’t stop and took off his shoe again.

“I should be the one apologizing to you. I yelled at you and dragged you back here forcefully.” He fussed his hair. “Just why, why are you not angry at me?!”

Ji Hyo finished taking off his shoes and puts them to the side as she looks up at him. She proceeded to take off his uniform. He holds her hand, stopping her.

“Can you… answer me?” he asked.

Ji Hyo looks at him, her eyes were glistening. “Because,” she gulps, “you are my husband.”

Almost in utter shock, he realized her actions.

“Because you were worried, that’s why you yelled at me.” She smiled, “I’m sorry I made you all worked up while you were so tired and frustrated. I’m sorry, Jong Kook.”

Jong Kook slowly lets go of her hand, looking away from her.

I should be the one who is sorry. But she is apologizing.

She took another glimpse at him and walked out of the room. As soon as she closed the door, she collapsed to her feet. It was strange. Strange indeed because of the way he reacted and how she saw that flash of memory. Is her memory messing with her?

But to her instincts, it seems to be true. She must have been a big burden to him, maybe even childish too. Enough for him to yell at her.

Inside the room, as Ji Hyo walked away, he turns and stares longingly at her back. So familiar.

She walked away, just like before.

“Please… pretend you heard nothing… and don’t push me away. When the time comes… I won’t ask for anything more than for you to let me go. So don’t push me away… okay?”

Ji Hyo tried to put on a smile and let go of his hand as he didn’t say anything.

She turned around walked away this time.

Jong Kook only stayed silent as her figure fades farther away from him.

He took a step forward but he couldn’t find the strength to walk to her.

Her figure wanders back into the cave as a trail of water tailed behind her.

He stares at the closing door, Ji Hyo’s image was disappearing behind it.

“I-“ he finally managed to say. “I-I…” but she was gone. She won’t be able to hear him anymore.

His eyes flicker, shaken by the same actions.

When she walked away after confessing to him, was that when his doors opened to her?

Don’t… go…

*************************************************************************

I apologize for the delay. It's been like, forever.

However, the chapter was very long so hopefully you didn't get lost. Thank you for the comments and subscribers. I will try my best to update faster. See ya bunnies ><

So sad, gary is not on Running man anymore TT He will be missed...