Chapter 7

Day by Day

“Gong Yoo!” Jong Kook called from behind.

Ji Hyo peeps behind the man, and sees Jong Kook walking towards them.

Jong Kook hurries to the scene only to slow down his steps as he see his cousin hold onto Ji Hyo’s wrist.

Ji Hyo notices where his eyes were set on, quickly releases her hand from Yoo. But Yoo turns his attention back to Ji Hyo and tightens his grip. Ji Hyo raises her other hand to push his hand away, instead he grabs both of her wrists now, pulling her against him.

Ji Hyo looks up at him, her eyes widen as his glued on hers. He smiled.

“Do you think that I will let you escape this time?” He breaks into a smile. “I’m not going to let you go.”

Jong Kook stood still, his expression changing. Unknown to him, he felt slightly irritated to see Yoo and Ji Hyo so close together.

“Nonsense,” flustered Ji Hyo tries to release her hand. Yoo just raised his brows and inched his face towards Ji Hyo.

Their faces were so close, Ji Hyo could feel his hot breath on her face now.

“It’s not nonsense.” He stares at her, not blinking. “I mean it.”

They stared at each other while Ji Hyo, couldn’t find the words to say as her heart moved wildly. Was it the nerve to move him from her or was it because her ‘husband’ was witnessing this the whole time? 

Ji Hyo turns her head to look at Jong Kook who stands in the same spot, almost stunned at the scene before his eyes. Reminding her immediately of how she was when she saw him and Ara together. A pinch in her chest tied into a knot and makes her look down as her eyes trace back to Yoo’s.

“Really?” Ji Hyo asked. Yoo notices a change in her eyes, so serious, almost dead. “Sorry, but I am a married woman.”

Yoo’s expression almost changes but he did loosen his grip a bit.

“And that man over there,” Ji Hyo nudges her head toward Jong Kook, “is my husband.”

Yoo’s thin smile falls flat, almost unbelievably to what he just heard. His grip falls and slowly trails to his side.

His faced turns grey, as if threatening deadly serious. “You’re lying.” But the unchanging expression of Ji Hyo makes him almost confirming to believe she is telling the truth.

“You are a servant in the Kim’s mansion.”

“You assumed it yourself,” Ji Hyo answers, leaving Yoo speechless.

Jong Kook intervenes between the two.

“Say hello to my cousin, Lieutenant Gong Yoo.” Jong Kook spoke as he looks at Ji Hyo. Yoo loosens his grip and looks at Ji Hyo, almost in disbelief.

Ji Hyo, realizing a wrong move she had just made. Therefore she quickly bows to Yoo.

“Greetings, Lieutenant Yoo.”

His face turns serious all of a sudden as he lightly bows back, “Greeting… sister-in-law.”

“I apologize for the events earlier,” Ji Hyo apologizes before turning to Jong Kook. “Then I would like to excuse myself.” She left and continued to her mother-in-law’s quarters.

Yoo watches her walk away and back to see Jong Kook looking at him. He then tries to smile.

“She really is quite a beauty.” Yoo stated, “You’re probably right, not much of a beauty like your wife,” He spoke almost bitterly.

Jong Kook processes his words before smiling, “How did you both meet?”

“Just a cat-catch-mouse game,” Yoo smiled. Jong Kook was ready to speak again but Yoo quickly excuses himself. “It is late, I should return.”

***

Ji Hyo entered her mother’s quarter, sitting in front of the table across her.

“You have come Lady Kim,” Madam Kim greeted her. “How was your trip around the town? Is there anything in particular that needs aiding.”

Ji Hyo nods, “Based on the inspection today, Anyang is perhaps one of the best town I have seen.” Madam Kim nods in acknowledgement. “But, I have seen that there are others that have just moved to town camping on the outskirts. I would like to suggest that we send aid to find out the reason why there is a rush of newcomers.”

“Oh my, is that true?” and Ji Hyo nods. “General Kim needs to handle this case with us. I will request his presence.”

“Yes mother.”

“Business aside, did you have a good night sleep?”

Ji Hyo almost stuttered but remain calm. “Yes, mother.”

“Why do you look so fatigue?” Madam Kim eyes widen. “Did Jong Kook go meet that woman again?”

“No, not at all.”

“Daughter-in-law Kim, don’t ever hesitate to tell me anything.” She reaches for Ji Hyo’s hand. “Think of me as your mother. Because of you and Minister Song, our Kim household have been able to gain favor from his Majesty. I would hate to know that you are going through any misery.”

Ji Hyo smiles, “Don’t worry mother, I am living happily.”

“I know this is too soon to ask of as you and Jong Kook has only been married for less than a month. But please, give me a grandchild.”

Ji Hyo’s eyes widen at the thought of it.

“He is my only son and I, as a mother, want to hold my son’s child before I close my eyes in this world. I know how stubborn Jong Kook is, being a General and training from an early age must have harden him but please understand and be patient with him.” She slightly squeezes Ji Hyo’s hand with much happiness.

“I…” Ji Hyo tries to speak.

“It won’t be easy but please promise me it will happen soon.”

Ji Hyo smiles bitterly, dilemma.

It’s hard enough to even sleep on the same bed and stay and the same room with him, having a child would be even more difficult.

Ji Hyo thought as she walked down the hall. She absently-mindedly walked and passes the corner to bump into Ara.

“Miss Go…” Ji Hyo helps her pick up the clothing on the ground. “I am really sorry. Are you alright.”

“It’s okay, it was me who bumped into you.” Ara picks up the clothes.

“But what are you doing with these…” Ji Hyo holds up the clothes only to see Jong Kook’s clothes. Ara looks up at her to see Ji Hyo stop in action, looking at the clothes. “These are… Jong Kook’s clothes.”

Ara nervously nodded, afraid that Ji Hyo will turn into one of those mean wives she has seen from her village before. Instead Ji Hyo looks back at her and smile.

“May I help you?”

Ara blinked, not sure, “It’s alright, I can do this.”

“Please, let me help. It’s the least I can do.” Ji Hyo insisted. “Let me help you carry some.”

And they headed towards the backyard.

Ji Hyo puts the clothes in the big basin as she folded up her sleeves to lean down and wash the clothes. Ara does the same for the other clothes.

The two ladies washed and rinsed the clothes. They help each other squeezed out the water before hanging them on the bamboo sticks.

“Do you always do this?” asked Ji Hyo.

“It’s the least I can do for Jong Kook oppa. I can’t go out and make business and I can’t go to war and battle with him.” Ara smiles. “Being able to wash my husband’s clothes is one of the best pleasures for me.”

Ji Hyo almost stops hanging the robe and thought to herself.

“Ji Hyo-ssi,” Ara sits next to her, “why do you help me?”

Ji Hyo turns to her, “This is… the least I can do for you and General Kim,” and smiles. “Let’s not be the wives of General Kim, instead be women who understands each other.” Ara smiles back and nods.

***

Jong Kook looks over at the two women as they sat side by side smiling and talking. He steps in behind them.

“What’s going on here?”

They both turned back to see him standing with his hands behind him in a serious manner.

He squats down beside them and breaks into a thin smile, “Had fun talking?”

Ara looks at him with the sweetest look on her face. “Miss Song has helped me washed your clothes and we were just talking. Are you tired my husband?”

Jong Kook shooks his head. “You should rest, you’ve been working too much.”

“It’s the least I can do for you, husband.” Jong Kook holds her hand and pinches her nose. It was almost as if they were in their own world, not to mention Ji Hyo was still there the whole time. She turns to the other side and tries to smile before turning back.

“Excuse me,” Ji Hyo stood up.

Jong Kook turns back to her, “Wait, I have something to discuss with you,” making Ji Hyo look at him. “Ara, go inside, I’ll be right there.” Ara nods and lightly bows to Ji Hyo and walks away.

Jong Kook stands in front of her as Ji Hyo only keeps her eyes on him.

“Do you mind telling me how you and Yoo met?”

“It is nothing, just a few misunderstandings.” Ji Hyo answers as discreetly as possible.

“Is there anything you would like to tell me, or anything you think I should know?”

Ji Hyo nods. “Mother request for your present in her quarters this evening.”

Jong Kook nods. “But why are you washing my clothes? If someone else sees it, they may think the Kim household is slaving you around the house. And what if word gets out to your father, the Minister of Justice?”

Ji Hyo, slightly annoyed of how he keeps distancing her status, as if he keeps reminding her to stay in her boundaries. She bit her lips as she listen to him scold her of the consequences.

“Then, is Ara the only one who should be doing it?”

“What?”

“Am I not allow to touch your property?” Ji Hyo asked, a little pressure.

He stares at her and realizes the direction she was emphasizing.

“Yes.” His eyes turn lifeless towards her as he confirms.

Ji Hyo then looks away before huffing to herself. “Then please excuse me.”

She walked away without his approval and kept walking straight as tears threatened to fall right before her.

He didn’t run after her, he only watched her leave, staring at her back as she disappears.

Behind one corner behind the building was Ara, listening to the conversation. She wasn’t intending to listen but she wanted to make sure she could trust Ji Hyo. But when she peeks to see Jong Kook keep staring at Ji Hyo’s back, her body tensed up.

Ji Hyo continued walking away until she turns the corner. She then stops her steps and slowly turned her head back.

He has already walked away and she looks at his back as he held his hands behind his back.

This is the least I can do for you… Kim Jong Kook.