Chapter 18

Day by Day

He had been carrying her for a while now, but no complaints.

Ji Hyo looked forward at the long road ahead of them. The birds chirping, thin breeze, waving trees and leaves on a clear sunny day. Seems like it’s a good day.

She decided to put her head down and lean on his shoulder, making Jong Kook tensed but he ignored it. She must be sleeping, he thought.

But she was wide awake.

“Ji Hyo.” He muttered.

She was lost in thought. The back that she yearned for now is in front of her. The tiniest hint of affection she desired was done, and it was the person that she wanted to do these things for her.

“Ji Hyo..?” he repeated.

“Yes?” she answered.

Hearing her voice made Jong Kook uneasy again. Should he say it or not?

“I’m…”

She raised her head and looked at the side of his face.

“I-I’m,”

“What do you want to say?”

He decided to stop but still held her on his back. He took a deep breath before speaking.

“I-“

There was a sound of troops coming down the road. They looked in terror to see what was coming to them.

Then there it was, their flag.

He sets her down as they see the troops coming. Ara comes out running towards Jong Kook with tears in her eyes.

Ji Hyo moves over as she sees Ara jump into Jong Kook’s arms.

She reminded herself again. He has a woman. Why do you get your hopes up?

It was clear on her face, her disappointment. Jong Kook hugs Ara back only to glance over to his side to Ji Hyo intently looking at them.

He lost his smile as he lightly lets go of Ara.

Yoo runs through the crowd of troops and runs toward them in a hurry.

(Jong Kook sees him running toward them only raises his hand to wave to Yoo that they are alright.

Instead, it seems like Yoo did not even see him. )

Yoo ran full speed and pulled Ji Hyo around, grasping her tightly into his chest.

Ji Hyo, shocked by the sudden movement froze with her eyes wide open.

Jong Kook stops whatever he was doing and stares at them with his mouth agape.

Yoo hugged her tightly and his arms wrapped around her shoulders. He closes his eyes as he catches his breath. He holds her head, making sure that it was real and not fake.

He finally let go and looks at her, placing his hands on her shoulders.

“Are you hurt?” he worriedly ask. Ji Hyo, still shaken by his sudden action stutters for words. He quickly observed her from head to toe.

“N-no.” She managed to say as she looks at his worried expression. He looks back up at her and sighs in relief, pulling her into another hug, softer and gentler.

Only his heavy breathing was heard.

Ji Hyo aware of the situation tried to loosen his hug but listening to how he reacted, she stopped.

“I thought you were gone.” He whispered in a raspy voice.

*Flashback*

Yoo runs in with the troops to the outer part of the forest when he heard loud fighting commotions.

He enters as the troops came in. But he caught a glimpse of her. Ji Hyo jumped down the cliff.

His heart drop as he storms through the bunch of assassins, and runs over to the cliff, only to see a big splash.

“Ji Hyo!” He screamed her name. But she was gone.

He tried to find a way down but fought with the assassins that tried to attack him.

“Ji Hyo-ah!”

*Flashback to present*

Ji Hyo sighed as she knew she had scared him, he must have been worried sick. She decides to raise her hand and pat his back softly.

“I’m… alright.” she answered as Yoo only hugged her.

Yoo then opens his eyes as he had calmed down. He then concentrates and realizes that Jong Kook have been looking at them the whole time. He held a serious expression while Ara stood by his side.

Yoo then let go of Ji Hyo quickly.

“I’m…” Yoo tried to find the words to speak. “I-I didn’t mean to hug you. I was just-“

Ji Hyo pat his shoulder. “I know,” she nodded her head. “You were just worried.”

She smiled then bow her head lightly. “Thank you for your grace.”

She turned back to Jong Kook and Ara then bow lightly. “You must have been worried Miss Go.”

Ara held Ji Hyo’s hand lightly, “As long as you and Jong Kook oppa are fine then that’s all that matters.”

The two women made their way to the carriage as the two men stood in front of each other.

Jong Kook turns back to Yoo as the women had entered the carriage only to find Yoo keeping his eyes on the carriage and then cracked a thin smile.

Yoo turned back to Jong Kook then stopped smiling. They had an intense tare off until Yoo smiled at him again and walked forward. He swung his arm over Jong Kook’s shoulder and hug him.

“Glad to see you’re still breathing.” Yoo patted his back as Jong Kook did the same but spoke bitterly.

“Thanks, what a nice cousin.”

Yoo pulled back. “Come on, we have to return to the capital.”

Jong Kook nodded in agreement.

***

It was nightfall when they had reach the capital.

Jong Kook and Yoo sat in his personal military quarter with a few informants.

“We were ambushed on the hillside of the trail,” Yoo pointed out.

Jong Kook nodded.

“Did you find any captives?”

Yoo shook his head. “Suicide.”

“The assassins knew exactly who I was,” Jong Kook remembers.

“General,” the mask man called him.

Then he and Yoo looks at each other.

There was a mole in his troop.

***

Ji Hyo had just finished cleaning her wound as Yeo Jin brings in her new set of clothes.

Yeo Jin sat beside her as she looks at the mirror, letting her hair down.

Yeo Jin combs through her hair softly and sprays on the fragrance oil on the middle section down.

Ji Hyo could see from the mirror, something was bothering Yeo Jin.

Yeo Jin finishes applying the fragrance oil and turns around to put the beauty essentials away.

Ji Hyo turns to her.

“Yeo Jin,”

“Yes my lady.”

Ji Hyo reaches for her hand. “Is there something bothering you?”

Yeo Jin shook her head.

“You can tell me anything.” Ji Hyo assured her.

Yeo Jin looks up at her worriedly while Ji Hyo listens attentively.

“I… know the assassin.”

Ji Hyo’s face twisted in horror.

“Who is it?” she whispered.

Yeo Jin tearfully look at her.

“It’s me,” a voice answered from the shadows of the window. Ji Hyo held Yeo Jin’s hand, pulling them together.

The shadow became clearer and a man in black clothes covering his face walks into the room. He removes his mask, revealing his face.

Ji Hyo firmly held onto Yeo Jin’s hand as Yeo Jin trembles in fear.

“I see you have survived…” He smiled, “My dear cousin…”

Kenji Wu. Ji Hyo glared at him.

******************************************************************************

Sorry for the short chapter and I really apologize for adding in so many characters. >.< Don't hurt me