Chapter 38

Day by Day

Hello everyone! Finally an update! I am really sorry for the one month (maybe 2 months) of hiatus! A few of you have been messaging me, but don't worry, I'm still alive and healthy. Thank you for the constant support and waiting for me (well if you are still reading this story and chapter) I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart! You guys are the best!

Enough of the blabbering. To make up for the lost of two months, this chapter is veryyyyyyy~~~ long... well in my opinion. I'm planning to update another chapter later today or tomorrow so don't give up yet and think that you will have to wait another month or two. I promise, I'll update as soon as possible. And like aways, please leave me comments down below!!!

*****************************************************************************************************************************************

The man withdrew himself from Ji Hyo and touches her face, disbelief.

Ji Hyo blinks and her vision sharpens and she could see him clearly now.

“Jong Kook?”

He nods in response, “Let’s go.”

“Where?” she asked weakly.

“Anywhere, anywhere from here.” He picks her up and carried her in his arms.

Her small body cling onto him, motionlessly in his arms. He was angry that she was tortured. Carrying her safely in his arms, they swiftly exit the prison without a hitch as he had already beaten the guards.

They arrive outside of the prison bureau and left the place. But as they reached the door gates, an army of guards stood there. His entrance to the palace was known when he stormed in a hurry from Yeouido.

He looks at the guards who were ready to strike them with their hands reaching for their swords.

“General Kim!” The King calls from the top of the stair. Jong Kook turns his head and sees the King standing there with the guards and officials.

“Your majesty,” he puts Ji Hyo down and holds her next to him.

Minister Choi steps in, “What are you doing with a suspect?”

Jong Kook’s eyes narrow.

“To interfere with the potential turbulence of the country is a crime,” Minister Ryu adds on, “General Kim, you should calm down.”

The King looks at the abused Ji Hyo who averted her eyes to look up at them. Their eyes met and the King seems worried. Then he looks at Jong Kook who only glared at him.

“You punk, you dare to glare at the King?! Lower your eyes immediately!” Minister Jung yells at the top of his lungs.

Jong Kook chuckles a bit. “His majesty didn’t say anything yet and you are making assumptions. How are you so sure that you are not the one I’m glaring at?”

“You-“ the Minister was intimidated.

The King raises his hand. “General Kim,” he stands up boldly, “Did you catch the assassin?”

Jong Kook, still holding Ji Hyo standing, saluted his hands, “Reporting to your majesty, I was not able to catch him.”

The King frown, “Why couldn’t you?”

Jong Kook gazes at the King, “There were many intruders and many citizens were killed, thus he was able to escape.”

“Are you making excuses, General?” one minister ask.

Jong Kook only paid attention to the King, “Your subject was incompetent and the assassin was able to escape,” he looks over at Ji Hyo, “But if you may, please explain to this loyal subject why Lady Kim was tortured?”

“An assassin made contact with her, it is only right that she is punished,” the king answers.

Jong Kook could only wonder what happened but stay focused. “I would dare to ask that your majesty rethinks over this decision.”

“Lady Kim is a big suspect to this case. Your assassination attempt and Minster Song’s too, are you going to let her go freely without interrogation?” Minster Ryu keeps building up the tension.

“Your majesty, we can’t allow for this to happen. What will others think of the royal family and court if a suspect is left out just because she is the wife of the General? Not only is she the General’s wife, but a Yuan descendant too,” Minister Jung adds.

Jong Kook looks at them one to one. “Your majesty, your loyal subjects does not make any excuse for the escape of the assassin. But would like to question why Lady Kim was not placed under armed guard? If Lady Kim had really attempted to relay message to the assassin, why would she come to the palace in the first place? If she had those intentions, she wouldn’t let herself be caught with some measly guards that were not trained in martial arts outside her door.

Your majesty, please consider it carefully. Since everyone is saying that Lady Kim is a Yuan descendant, wouldn’t it be better if she was treated better than this? If it gets to the Yuan court’s ears, I dare to say that there will be dispute between the two countries.”

“General Kim-“ the officials cried.

“Your majesty, Ji Hyo was sent to the palace not because of her own will but because of your majesty’s request. Why would she go to the extent of a miscarriage to come here? Lady Kim has been unwell these past few weeks. Because of the assassination attempt, she has suffered from injuries and most importantly, memory loss. A woman who couldn’t even recognize her own father,”

The King walks down the stairs as two armed guards follow.

Jong Kook takes a deep breath, “She was healing better from the visit to Minster Song’s place, but what does my wife’s bloodline have to do with this assassination report?”

The King made sure they were close enough, so no one else could hear them.

“I could have stopped this,” the King looks at him tensely, “if you had brought back the assassin. An intruder came into the palace and into Lady Kim’s room, I have to put up a front for the officials, general.” He looks at the wounded Ji Hyo. Then through the white clothing, blood dripped down to her ankles. Ji Hyo clutched to her abdomen, biting her lip, stopping herself from groaning. The cramps tighten in her abdomen. In his eyes, a soft spot of parental love creek.

The King looks away and walks back to the stairs.

“Lady Kim is to be released. No charges to be made until proven guilty,” the King ordered strictly and left the scene as the ministers and officials scowl.

“Thank you for your mercy,” Jong Kook muttered under his breath. He turns to Ji Hyo and helps her stand up.

He heard her mutter inaudible words.

“Ji Hyo,” he firmly put her in his chest.

“M-My father…” she weakly speaks.

Jong Kook nodded his head. “Don’t worry, your father is safe.”

Ji Hyo nods and Jong Kook takes her away to the gate. He sees the blood and turns to her.

He swept her in his arms and carried her away.

***

Yoo escorted Minister Song through the palace gates, guiding as the Minister sat in the carriage. The window slid open.

“Lieutenant,” her father cough.

“Yes, Minister,” Yoo rushed to the side for the carriage.

“Is my daughter safe now?”

Yoo bowed, “She is fine now. Please rest assure Minister Song.”

Her father nodded and coughed, retreating back inside.

 Yoo turns back and looks behind him. A moment of regret flashed in his eyes as he stared longingly at the palace gate.

*Flashback*

Yoo ran as fast as he could, carrying his sword in one hand as his eyes narrow grimly. The news of Ji Hyo being tortured reached his ears and with only those words, he did not hesitate to go after her.

He turned the corner, ready for combat against the guards, one hand moving to clench the sword but he halted as he sees the scene before him.

The guards were already knocked out on the ground. He slowly let go of his sword as he turn his head, hearing the footsteps from the opened doors to the prison. Out came a disheveled up Jong Kook carrying a bruised Ji Hyo in his arms. The two men look at each other as Jong Kook looks up at him.

From the looks of it, he was sure Jong Kook returned to the palace as fast as he could when he heard about Ji Hyo’s punishment. A spot in Yoo’s chest itched.

Jong Kook walks to him, “Minister Song, take care of him,” and walked past Yoo.

*Flashback*

Yoo could still feel the itch in his chest as he raised his hand to touch his chest, burning. He turned around and follow the carriage but his mind was uneasy.

He was always a step late. Why is fate playing with him? Giving him hope then taking it away right before he could grasp it…

Yoo could only hold his head high as he set his feelings aside.

***

Jong Kook watches over the unconscious Ji Hyo. The doctor was done checking her vitals and backed up. Jong Kook sat beside Ji Hyo, reaching his hand to the covers, covering her a bit more from the cold weather.

“Lady Kim’s body is fatigue. I will prescribe her some medicinal herb. She must rest a lot,” the doctor advised.

Jong Kook nodded. “You may leave now, thank you for your assistance.”

The doors closed and Jong Kook could only sigh. The King had ordered for them to stay at one of the east wing palace chambers.

He clutched her hand in his, “Why are you always lying sick in bed?” He touched her head softly. “Get up quickly, I miss you already… please,” he whispers.

He takes off his shoes and gets in bed with her. He gently placed her in his chest and embraced her, resting his chin on her head. He rubbed her back to create heat while holding her hand in his. He sighs deeply and closed his eyes.

***

~Scene moves to different setting

The groups of people run around the building and play whilst working. A child runs carelessly and bumps into Ara. She turns around and sees the child and helps him up.

“Be careful alright?” she smiles at the child and he runs away to play again. Ara picks up her basket of vegetables and walks away with a group of guards guarding her.

She arrives at the more city like building, with many more servants. She goes directly to the kitchen and cooks.

As she starts cooking to the end, even placing the food in dishes and carrying them in her hand. She stops as she realize the table was empty. She slowly place the dishes on the table and head out of the kitchen to the courtyard. She watches the gate as she stood by the door.

A maid walks behind her, accompanying her. “What is today’s date?

“It is the 16th, Miss.”

“The 16th…” Ara repeated, “He should be here…”

She’s been stuck here for 16 days now. Yet still no news or appearance of Jong Kook yet. The house in the outskirts of town and the house in the town, what’s the difference? He’s not even here with her.

Ara sat down at the table, looking out at the gate through the kitchen door. “When will you be here?”

She worriedly looked at the door as time passed by. Did Jong Kook really forget her? No, she shouldn’t think of bad things… but that tiny pinch of doubt lingered in her chest, sparking with jealousy as a dark shade of greed flushed over her face.

She sat by the dinner table alone.

*Flashback*

Jong Kook helps Ara off the horse at the gate of the house.

“Aren’t you going to stay here with me?”

Jong Kook didn’t answer her. “Stay here for the time being.” He turns away and Ara grabs his arm, holding him back.

“Don’t leave me alone. I don’t want to be alone. Please,” she begged him as she lean her head on his shoulder.

Jong Kook turns to her. “Ara,” his eyes were sad. “Don’t be afraid they will take care of her. Also, you won’t be alone. I will make sure that you will not be alone in the future.”

He raised his hand to remove her hands from clinging onto him.

“No!” she protested. “Don’t do this to me. Please, I beg you. Don’t abandon me, huh?” She frantically looked around then back at him. “I-I don’t have to be your official wife.” She gestures to herself, “I’m fine living like this. As long as I can be near you, my status does not matter. Oppa…”

Her eyes turn teary, “I’m alright… so please-“

“But I’m not alright,” he cuts her pleadings. The threatening tears fall down, dripping down her cheeks.

“This is the safest place for you now.” Jong Kook turns around and gets on his horse. She watches him leave and then turns after him.

“J-Jong Kook-ah. Jong Kook oppa!” she tries to run after him but the guards stops her.

*flashback to present*

Her pleadings echoed in her head. Her scream for help from that horrible night when he first left her in the outskirts of town haunted her. Because he left her alone, Kenji was able to harm her.

Ara pushes the dishes off the table, crashing them on the floor into jittery pieces. She looks at the ground as her eyes filled with tears.

“Join me anytime, I’ll make him yours only.” Kenji turns to leave.

“How?” she asked, making him stop. He turns back to her. She puts the bowl and spoon down and looks at him, her eyes vengeful. “How will you make him mine only?”

A dark grin swiped over his face as Ara looks at him with her pink eyes.

Ara notices the reflective broken piece of ceramic on the floor. She leans over and her lips twisted into a smirk as she stares at her reflection.

***

Ji Hyo stirs awake and finds herself in Jong Kook’s arms. She blinks again and again, seeping in the image in front of her. She raised her hand to touch his face, whether this was an illusion or reality.

She holds her breath until she was able to touch his face, finally letting out the breath shakily. Her small hand caressed his tan face, in relief and anxiously.

Jong Kook drowsily stirs awake ad he felt a light touch on his face. He squint his eyes open and sees Ji Hyo looking up at him. Her pale face and smile was the first thing he saw.

“Ji-“

Her fingers covers his lips, “Shh~”

Her eyes reflects longingly and shimmery. He slips his hand over her fingers, removing them from his lips back to his cheek.

A tear roll over her nose bridge, into her other eyes then down the side of her temple. He uses the back of his right hand to wipe away the streak of tear.

“When did you come?” she whispered.

“I’ve always been here,” he answers. Ji Hyo’s finger caresses his cheek again before she moves closer and hugs him, wrapping her arms around his neck with her head buried in his chest.

With their bodies so close, so real, Jong Kook wraps his arms around hers as he realize she was crying. He pats her back softly.

“I’m here, don’t be afraid. No one can hurt you anymore.”

Ji Hyo clutched tighter.

***

The sun has risen up high in the day.

Ji Hyo sat up and looked around the room. She scoots back and turn her face the other way. Confused, Jong Kook sat up and reached his hand towards her. She flinch and he stops.

He continues and touch her shoulder lightly, “Are you alright?”

Ji Hyo looks at him and nods her head. “Can you… leave me alone?”

“I-“ he hesitates but nods, “I’ll be right outside,” and he leaves the room after putting on his shoes.

As the door close, Ji Hyo gets off the bed and walks around the room. She walks passed a mirror and sees her reflection, sickly and pale. She reached a hand to touch her own face then her own body to her abdomen.

Quickly, she tiptoe to the door and sneaks a peak, seeing a broody Jong Kook looking out the small courtyard with his hands behind his back, composed.

Ji Hyo turns around and leans on the door, “Sire,”

He turns around at the sound of her voice. “What is it?”

“I want to wash up.”

“Sure,” he turns around but looks back to the doors. There was something off about her. The tone of her voice changed. He shook his head and headed out.

***

Ji Hyo finished washing up and looked for new set of clothes to wear, where she notice the maids being uneasy. Seeing the white undergarment cloth, her eyes turned cold and empty. She completed dressing up and was about to tie her hair up into a bun but stopped.

Ji Hyo let her hair down, tying it into a Yuan hair style.

Jong Kook got out of the washroom as he finished washing up. He looks up as he sees Ji Hyo walks down the hall and down the stairs. Her hair style was different as it was tied down, her hanbok, a light peach and lavender skirt.

Ji Hyo held her skirt as she made her way down the stairs, stopping in front of him. He couldn’t read her hazy expressions as she only stared at him. Then a thin smile crept over her lips.

“How do I look?”

He nodded his head. “Beautiful.”

She lightly chuckle and walks closer to him and they walk out of the courtyard.

“Do you feel well? If not, we don’t have to go anywhere today.”

Ji Hyo shook her head. “I have to,” she turns to him, “for the sake of a healthy body.” She turns back around and continue walking out of the courtyard.

He watches walk in front of him, walking composedly. Her stature was different from before. She stops as loose leaves fly her way. She turns her head, covering herself with one sleeve. She looks at him and smile.

There was something different about her. He can’t tell. Ji Hyo moves her sleeve from her face and he walks toward her.

They walked side by side until he slips one hand to hold hers. Ji Hyo looks up at him while he feign ignorance. She creaks a smile and leans her head over on his shoulder.

They stopped by the pond of fishes, surrounded by flowers. Jong Kook puts one hand around Ji Hyo as she leaned on his shoulder.

Music could be heard from areas away as the bees and birds sing along.

“When will turbulence disappear?”

Jong Kook looks at Ji Hyo as she removes herself from him, looking at each other.

“Peace and turbulence goes hand in hand, where there is turbulence, peace will follow,” Jong Kook answers.

“But the more we try to make peace, the deadlier the reap sows.”

Jong Kook holds her face and kisses her forehead before drawing back.

“As long as I have you, no matter how deadly it is, I will come back.”

Ji Hyo smiles back gleefully, “How I wish it were true.”

“You don’t believe me?”

“I do. I want to believe you so much, but Sir,” Ji Hyo holds his hand as her brows furrow, “How can I be sure you won’t secretly put yourself in danger again?”

“If you are talking about Yeonju, I only did it all for the best.” Jong Kook put his hand over hers. “You would constantly be endangered if you were alone. It’s just that I didn’t expect the news to reach the court’s ears yet. If I knew it would be like this, I would have never let you come here.”

Ji Hyo looks into his eyes truthfully for a moment before answering.

“I know.”

He worriedly glances at her. “Are you… are you mad at me?”

Ji Hyo blankly stares at him then goes into deep thinking mode. He could only nervously look for an answer as Ji Hyo gets up. He repeated the same gesture as her, trailing behind her as she walks away.

She turns back to him and he waits for her answer. Ji Hyo close in on him, making him tremble back a little.

“Ji Hyo-“

Just then she turns away instantly, making him flustered.

As Ji Hyo blankly wanders off like a kite without strings, he kept chasing after her, asking repeatedly if she was upset.

He followed her all the way to the Jibokjae Temple. Finally given up, he stopped behind her.

“Do you hate me that much?” he asks aloud.

Ji Hyo stops and turns her head to him.

“Am I that detestable?” he asks again.

“Do you think so?” she counters.

He advances towards her, “I’m,” he took a deep breath and looks at her and meekly, “I’m sorry.”

She seems almost stun but regains her posture. “What did you say?”

He scowl and scratched his neck as he looked down, then peeks at her. “I’m sorry.”

Her face broke out into a bright smile. Noticing her smile, he lets out a low chuckle. Ji Hyo turns around and heads toward the temple as he grin from ear to ear.

Jong Kook slowly slips his hand into hers as they walked side by side, towards the temple.

They sat down as Ji Hyo prayed and attended meditation. Jong kooks watches out for her and made his own merits.

He bows and puts the incenses in the bowl of ashes before looking after Ji Hyo again. He passes by the room and a few maids and appears. Behind the thin drapes, he sees Ji Hyo lying with her back up on the mattress as the nun tended her wound from yesterday. He watches her quietly get treated.

Then he heard her groan, making him step forward.

“Please continue,” he heard her say as she clench her teeth. He stops and turns around, sighing.

Was it a mistake to have lied about the miscarriage and have her sent to the palace? He turns back his head to see the nun put acupuncture glasses on her back. He heads out as he felt himself tearing apart.

After the meditation and acupuncture, Ji Hyo fixed her hanbok and headed out. She sees Jong Kook outside, leaning against the pillar alone, lost in thoughts as he crosses his arms.

Jong Kook turns his head toward her and smiles as he sees her looking at him.

She heads his way, “Is it alright for you to be waiting here like this?” She looks around the place. “Sir Kim, shouldn’t you be busy with your duties?”

Jong Kook leans closer, pinning her against the pillar. Their faces close and he could feel her breath on his face. He lightly pinches her nose.

“You,” he emphasized, “are my duty.” He takes her hand and heads back to their chamber.

“What are you doing?” she asks but he didn’t answer her. He sat her by the bed, taking off her shirt. “Sir!” she holds her shirt.

“Didn’t you say you believe me?”

‘But,” Ji Hyo was confused but decided to let him have his way.

~after some time~

“So this was what you wanted?”

Ji Hyo lie on her stomach as Jong Kook massaged her back. He massages her shoulders and back to her waist as he could see the acupuncture marks as well as the bruises.

“How did you endure the pain?”

Ji Hyo lie on the side of her face on her crossed arms. “I had no choice.”

He stops and looks at her back of her head then continue massaging her.

“That feels nice,” she complimented him, “I should ask you massage me more often.”

He grins, “Really?” he purposely added more pressure, hurting her.

“Ah!” she yelps and he laughs at her. She gets up but realizes that she only had on her undergarment loosely. She immediately lie back down and pouted.

“Why? Embarrassed?” he as he continue massaging her.

“No.”

He sneaks closer to her ear with a smirk, “You don’t have to be shy, since we are a married couple after all.”

Ji Hyo turns around and their nose touches slightly. He watches her intently as they look at each other back and forth. Their eyes never parted each other.

Ji Hyo held the cloth in front of her chest and sat up. Her lips tilted into a challenging smile, “Then take off your clothes, Husband Kim.”

He gulps at her words. He felt his body burning, his face was turning red. His heart race and his breath quicken. He hesitates.

Her words, although it was sarcastic and challenging him, there was the slightest bit of sweetness inviting him. Without much effort, she seduced him.

He gulps as his throat goes dry. Noticing his hesitation, Ji Hyo smirks.

“Why? Embarrassed?” she mocked him. He shook his head, not willing to back down. Somehow, this made the fire in him burn more, he couldn’t help it. There was a bit of excitement, teasing him. Her lips had a hinged of pink peaches even when she is still fatigue. He raises his hand to his robe.

He sees her eyes stuck on him as he slightly raises his eyes to look at her. Suddenly, Ji Hyo felt her body was pushed down on the bed with Jong Kook on top of her. He held her shoulders and the electric shock motioned through his body. Her skin was soft and confused, blank face made her adorably cute.

It was striking magnets pulling him closer to her and he did, literally, lean closer. Ji Hyo kept her eyes on him. Their eyes were halfway closed as their lips were about to touch.

Just then-

Knock knock knock!

He cursed to himself and turns to the door, “Who is it?”

“Lieutenant Yoo is here, General Kim,” the servant answered.

Jong Kook cursed and beat up Yoo in his mind. Why does he have to be here, especially at this time? Wait, why is he even upset? He lets go of Ji Hyo and covers her up with the blanket.

“I’ll get you next time,” he points at her jokingly. Ji Hyo chuckles and covers herself and Jong Kook let down the drape. “Let him in,”

*********************************************************************

See ya next time bunnies! Hwaiting!

PS: If any of you are interested in Chinese dramas, some dramas that you should consider watching is "Three Lives, Three World aka Eternal Love". It is my current obsession.

Also, omg, I cannot wait for Strong Woman Do Bong Soo!!! Kyah!!! I miss goblin so much TT