Chapter 58C

Day by Day

Week One

 

After arriving in Yuan for a week now, Ji Hyo found out about Jong Kook’s situation against the Mongolian army. He had conquered the enemy base on the border but not without much casualties.

Each passing day, she was introduced to the etiquettes and life in the palace. She could roam palaces more freely but not without a group of maids accompanying her. Though it was bothersome to have a group of strangers followed her around, she adjusted to it. That was why she seldom left Langye Palace and went through her grandfather’s collection instead.

There were paintings of her grandmother on the wall of their private residence. However, there was not an image of her mother anywhere.

Tonight, there was a banquet especially for her arrival. For the first time in public, she will be officially introduced. The banquet took seven days to complete as it was made as grand as possible. She heard the Empress took part in creating a well uniform event for her.  

“Princess Song Ji Hyo has arrived!” the eunuch announced, the doors opening to reveal her.

Everyone in the room turned her way; the princes, the princess, and officials. Even after bowing and taking a seat, their eyes still linger on her, making her self-conscious.

“Everyone, this is Princess Song Ji Hyo, the daughter of the late Princess of Commandery, Chen Ji Hua.” The Emperor announced. Raising the cup of wine, “Let’s drink to welcome her home.”

Everyone cheered and music played in the background.

It was all fine until one of the Royal Princess stepped forward to her table, handing a cup of wine.

“Greetings, I am the youngest Princess, Chen Ying. Oh oops-“ she quickly wave for an interpreter to come to the table. As she spoke to Ji Hyo, the interpreter translated everything dramatically.

“I heard that you lived by the coast your whole life. Are there lots of seafood?” she gave a very innocent smile, accenting in Goryeo, “I hope we get along well, Sister. Please don’t mind my manners.” She smiled, yet a hidden sign lingers.

Ji Hyo stood up and graciously took the cup of wine, swallowing the content. She then pours another drink for the princess.

With the most fluent Yuan accent, “Thank you for your cup of wine, fellow sister. Feel free to address me as elder sister. Please accept this cup of wine from me.” The Princess was too shock, hearing Ji Hyo speak Yuan for the first time.

She hesitated before taking the cup of wine.

“Also, Princess Chen Ying, you should visit Goryeo sometimes. You may find more things than you think.”

“Ah… yes.” She took the cup of wine and swallowed the content before leaving the table with a sour expression.

One official stands up, “I was worried the Princess would have trouble adjusting to Yuan, but I see I worried for nothing. As expected of the granddaughter of the late Prince of Langye.”

More pleasantries were exchanged and as the music played on, Ji Hyo found herself trouble. The Princess gave her a side eye, confliction and awkwardness. Another official, one that had a frown scrunch on his face the entire time finally spoke.

“Your Majesty, the Princess is of marriageable age. Why don’t Your Majesty find her a compatible partner?”

The others agree.

“If only the Princess of Commandery hadn’t marry a foreigner, how good it would have been, oh the alliance?”

Another official, Lord Ze, “Lord Lin, you should go rest.”

The Emperor’s expression had changed, putting down his cup and looks down at his subjects. Ji Hyo had kept her silence though she felt her blood boiling as the Lord Lin kept provoking her about her mixed lineage.

“How does one define themselves if they aren’t of patriarchal lineage?” Lord Lin has become drunk.

Ji Hyo looked up at him. “Lord Lin, do you have something against my family?”

Lord Lin chuckled and merely apologized, “Not at all, Princess. This subject is curious about the root of your lineage, that’s all. How does one confirm your status if you aren’t of Imperial royal blood? It’s not like I want any trouble with you, but one must know the other’s history in order to present themselves in the eyes of the Emperor.”

The words sunk in, the other officials held their breath as the emperor halts. Lord Lin had spoken too much.

Concealing her feelings, her lips curved up and Ji Hyo stood.

“Indeed, Lord Lin is correct. I do not know why I am being addressed as ‘Princess’. I am not from a patriarchal lineage but matriarchal and don’t know the rules of the palace regarding of ranks.” Her eyes narrow. “However, I do know that my mother is Chen Ji Hua, the Princess of first rank, the daughter of the Prince of Langye who is the brother of the Grand Emperor. My father may have been an ordinary man in Goryeo but with his perseverance, he is now a subject in the Goryeo court, Minister of Justice.”

She takes a deep breath as the smile fades.

“This Princess hopes Lord Lin refrains from speaking of the Princess’s family name in such a light manner.”

Lord Lin’s eyes narrow, intimidated but laughs it off, apologizing to Ji Hyo, excusing his presence with his liquor intake.

Ji Hyo stood still, her body tense.

“Please have a seat, Princess,” the Empress spoke. “I apologize on Lord Lin’s behalf. He does not tolerate well with alcohol.”

Ji Hyo turns to the throne, a fake smile. “Of course, this Princess forgives Lord Lin.” She looks away. “But if one could excuse themselves of speaking about a royal family member easily because alcohol, how will the others react?”

The Empress was about to speak up-

“How would you like Lord Lin to be reprimanded?” the Emperor spoke after the longest time, calm.

Ji Hyo’s glint change. “That is not necessary.” She turns to the whole court. “I am of Goryeo lineage, that is true. In fact, I am a married woman. My husband is none other than the General of Goryeo. I hope that no one brings up any discussion about marriage and alliance. This Princess only wishes to leave after my duty is completed in Yuan.”

The Emperor nodded as the Empress looks over at him at the corner of her eye.

Lord Ze nodded in agreement. “Prince of Langye has a courteous granddaughter. Princess, please enjoy the rest of the night.”

Ji Hyo thanks him, not without noticing the notably respect he has towards her.

The Empress watches the Emperor eyes, a unchanging glint.

***

It was after the banquet that Ji Hyo retreated. It was incredibly a long night. She bumps into Lord Ze who was ready to exit the palace.

“Are you alright, Princess?” He bows respectfully.

A moment of excuses past before Ji Hyo spoke. “Would Lord Ze like to have a walk with this Princess for a moment?”

Lord Ze’s eyes flinch.

*

Strolling in the royal garden with lit lanterns, Lord Ze stood side by side with Ji Hyo.

“What did Your Royal highness want to say?” he asked her.

She stops turning to him. In his eyes, a spark of softness remains. “Lord Ze,” in which he attentively listened. “I have a favor to ask.”

“Please speak, this subject will try his best to help you.”

Deeply exhaling. “Please tell me about my mother,” seeing the change in his expression. “No one is willing to tell me anything about my mother. Did she do something wrong? Something terrible? Or something unspeakable of?-”

“Princess,” he stops her before telling proceeding. “How could you think of such things?”

“Because no one is speaking. There are people who gives me weird glances like I am an outcast. What did my mother do wrong to them? I need to know if I am going to be here. Please,”

The 46 year-old man, thought for a moment before speaking firmly and gently. “Princess Chen Ji Hua is one of the greatest person, not to say woman, I have ever known. Don’t think of her so negatively.”

“-“

“Let’s sit first,” he gestures towards the private pavilion in the garden. “I’ll tell you what I know.”

*

“It was the 5th year of His Majesty’s reign when I first met your mother on the border. I was only 18 years old then. Your mother, a leader in the military ranks, saved my worthless life in the battlefield. She was a very skilled swordsman, being able to defeat an army of a thousand with only 500 soldiers.”

Ji Hyo watched him speak with admiration of reverence.

“Despite her Princess title, she was a cold person. So quiet you wouldn’t even know she was watching you.” He chuckled reminiscing the memory.

“It seems Lord Ze, you knew my mother well.” Ji Hyo smiled.

He turns to her and smile. “Well, when one is trained under their leader for 3 years, they should at least know their temper to avoid trouble.” He embarrassed, turns away. “She caught me attempting to leave the camp once.”

 

Ji Hua’s emotionless eyes stare at him, having caught him stuck by the camp border. As he waited for her to punish him, knowing it was a traitorous action he had done. He had heard of many rumors about her cold-blooded treatment towards the enemies.

Shutting his eyes, he waited and waited but nothing happened. He reopens his eyes and sees her standing before him, scaring the life out of his body.

She handed a cold steam bun and mug at him. “Go… and don’t look back,” Her disappearing back him, leaving him dumbfounded.

 

Turning to her, “Your mother made me who I am today. That makes me wonder, are you as capable as your mother, Princess?”

Ji Hyo shrugs. “From what I hear, my mother seems to hold a place in your heart. Even if I join, I may not be up to par.”

He chuckles. “I agree.”

“Which makes me wonder, Lord Ze,” she hesitates before speaking cautiously. “How was it… when she left?” her voice trailed into the silence of the night.

He whispers, “She told me.”

“Princess,” he spoke with a hint of bitterness, “your father is a lucky man. I envy him.”

Ji Hyo smiled gratefully before probing further. “You should meet my father and tell him of these stories. I’m sure he will be envious of you Lord Ze.”

He nodded.

“What about the relationship between my mother and the Emperor?”

He sighs and look forward into the distance. “Although it’s been more than 20 years, that topic is something that everyone still questions today, but doesn’t dare to speak about.” He cautiously turned to her, “Are you sure you want to know? If you know, will it change anything? Think carefully.”

Ji Hyo hesitated before nodding.

Lord Ze sighs, “After the previous Emperor past away, instead of the Crown Prince, the 4th Prince who is the Emperor now was given the direct decree to the throne. The bloodshed in the palace happened once again where kin betray and executed one another. Prince Ou Xiang, the only orphan child of the Late Prince Chen Zhong, rebelled.”

He pauses…

“The Emperor and Prince Ou Xiang are not only cousins but almost like brothers, maybe even better. There was word that your mother coldly executed him herself, helping the Emperor to the throne without trouble.”

Ji Hyo’s eyes widen. “You’re saying that… my mother killed one cousin to let the other become Emperor?”

Lord Ze nodded, “The Emperor sent her to the borders to protect the country, in which she served loyally for 8 years. However, I think it’s best if you hear that from His majesty yourself.”

Before Ji Hyo could retort-

“Anyone can say anything about others. Don’t you agree? Since Prince Ou Xiang and Princess Ji Hua are gone now, the only person that can tell you the complete truth is the Emperor.”

See that Ji Hyo didn’t probe further, “I still hold high regards to the late Princess. Although she has left, she will always be my Leader. As for you, Princess, I’ll be watching.” He smiles, making Ji Hyo reciprocate his light joke.

“It’s a pity, you are already married. If not, I would have asked you to be my daughter-in-law. The General should be grateful.”

***

 

Back in Goryeo~

 

Having taken over the enemy base for a few days now, Jong Kook stood firmly at the top tower.

The military strategist is none other than his uncle, the ex-Marshal. His uncle served for decades before his exile. If he wants to beat his uncle, there is only one way.

He swiftly got down from the tower and enters his personal quarters. Gathering his most trusted soldiers, he mapped out the next attack.

*

Dong Hoon yawn as he sat beside Yoo, making sure to turn around and watch Yoo who had been sleeping all day. Ever since the last incident, Jong Kook had barred Yoo from involvement in any discussions with Dong Hoon on the watch.

“It must be nice,” Dong Hoon peered at the sleeping Yoo.

“What is?”

“Sleeping and eating all day,”

Yoo covers his face with his arm and crossed his legs, “Watch your language, I may be detained but I am still your superior.”

Dong Hoon made a face, imitating silently to himself as he turned away.

*

At the of midnight, Jong Kook had changed clothes and with his troop, he slipped out of the border base camp.

Heading in the shadows, they cautiously set out toward the Mongolian camp. He had planned to gather info about the surrounding camps before striking.

The Mongolian camp was indeed penetrable. There were a few soldiers who had been unguarded. Jong Kook had to advise his plan now. He looked for the head leader’s quarters but stops as he heard something behind them.

“Move,” he orders, making all the soldiers jump out of the way to hide behind the bushes, barely avoiding the arrows.

A group of Mongolian soldiers stood from the hill with arrows.

“General,” the leader spoke. “It’s not polite to hide yourself.”

Jong Kook stands up from the bushes, in which his troops protested.

The leader grin, “The ex-marshal was correct. You are quite brazen.”

Another round of arrows was shot as Jong Kook dodged them. The enemy troop runs form the hills and attack them. Taking out his sword, Jong Kook fought aggressively.

Pulling the enemy to dodge him, he strikes above and the heavy sword hits another, creating bloods shed.

Soon enough, the leader’s grin turns grim. Jong Kook was standing before him with the sword to his neck.

He was a step away when he stops and glance over his shoulder to see one of his soldier pointing a blade at him.

“I’m sorry, General.” The soldier apologized, insincerely. “But I cannot serve a King who betrayed his own people.”

Jong Kook turns back to the leader and with the sword still on the leader’s neck, he gripped onto the sword tightly.

“Put down your sword,” the soldier commanded but seeing that Jong Kook had refused. “I don’t want to make things harder on you, General.”

Jong Kook didn’t wait for him to finish and stab the sword into the leader’s neck before dodging low and grabbing the soldier’s arm, twisting it behind him.

With the soldier on the ground now, Jong Kook held the sword to soldier’s neck. “Indeed, I have been suspicious of how the ex-Marshal was able to escape exile so quietly, not even the King is aware of it. I only threw a bait and you took it.”

“You-“

Jong Kook firmly push down, making the soldier grunt painfully as his shoulder was about to shift.

“Take me to him,” Jong Kook commanded.

*

Yoo wakes up, feeling uncomfortable. Dong Hoon was half-awake as he snores, wobbling by the pillar.

He carefully gets out of bed and darts towards the entrance of the tent when he tripped, causing him to grasp onto the pillar. He finally noticed, someone had tied a thick strip of fishing line to the entrance with bells. Dong Hoon jumps up at the sound and with the Yoo at the door, he instantly runs after him.

Yoo quickly stands up to run but falls again as Dong Hoon jump on his back, his short arms tightly grasping Yoo down.

“Where do you think you’re going?” Dong Hoon questions as he tightens his body around Yoo.

“Let go of me this instant.” Yoo ordered.

“Do you think I’m stupid? If I let you go, it’s me who’ll get I trouble!”

“Soldier Ha 354!-“ Yoo pushes himself up as Dong Hoon dangle on his back.

“You’re memory is still jogging, still very strong!” Dong Hoon dangle on his back as Yoon tries to throw him off. “I will never let go!” Dong Hoon declared while Yoo gruff, annoyed.

Yoo reached back and grab Dong Hoon’s hand to let go-

Click!

Dong Hoon jumps off as Yoo stare with widen eyes.

That cunning-

“Release me now,” Yoo ordered as the shackle on his wrist dangle, clanking metals.

Dong Hoon huff and puff in the corner. “Thank goodness,” he stands up. “General Kim ordered me to watch you and detain you in all means. He stated that I should do what I deem necessary if you try to leave this tent.”

“You-“ Yoo sat on the ground, messy hair, extremely frustrated.

Dong Hoon set a blanket for him, “There,” and covered his ear, grinning satisfactory.

Yoo couldn’t break through the metals as there was no item in place to assist him. With no choice, he dejectedly sat on the ground with the blanket.

His instincts tell him something was wrong but he couldn’t pinpoint it.

*

By the entrance of another gate in the extensive grass fields, two figures rode horses arrived through the dark night. They stop as the Goryeo soldier hands the Mongolians a badge to show he was the spy.

He led Jong Kook, who had disguise as a fellow soldier, in behind him

Jong Kook’s eyes narrow as he sees the many soldiers that guarded heavily by the entrance and around the large site. His sword was under the robe, wrapped with a cloth.

The spy soldier stopped and side-eyed Jong Kook before he slips away, whistling loudly.

With him alone in the center of the camp, the soldiers around them surround him with weapons out. Jong Kook takes off the helmet and takes out his sword, ready to fight.

The group of enemy soldiers strike in unison towards him. Firmly holding the heavy blade, he shifted his feet and charge towards those in front of him. The sword broke the blades as it smashed against the metal.

Kicking and flipping in the air, he swiftly jumps away, letting the soldiers crash into each other, accidently stabbing one another.

He pulls two swords out from the enemy and puts his heavy sword back to his back, tightly grappling onto him. Swinging the two swords in his hands, he cracks his neck and moves back one foot, accessing the surrounding and appearance of more soldiers.

His lip curves up dangerously as his gaze change. The soldiers hesitated but didn’t want to back down. They charged again while Jong Kook did the same.

Screams and blood splatter everywhere as the figure charges forward. The twos swords move in lightning motion, spiraling around, cutting anyone who met it. His feet were fast as his destination came closer.

“Stop him!” one man yells. “He’s heading for the main camp!”

The one archer was about to shoot but the other stopped him. “Don’t, the ex-Marshal ordered for him to be alive,” in which the archer can only stop irritably.

Soon, a trail of blood appeared from the middle of the entrance and across the large field towards the main camp.

As Jong Kook reaches the main camp, more soldiers appeared to block him. He steps back, surrounded again. This time, he kicked the torches and the fire falls to the ground, circling him and towards those behind him. Gripping onto the two swords, he concentrated on those before him.

The soldiers were yells in unison, raising their curved swords-

 

(Listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T585pk212_E )

 

A loud horn is blown from behind, causing them to halt and look back. The soldiers moved out of the way, created a path-like entrance.

The ex-Marshal appears from the corner, in armor uniform. His hair tied away, though his leg had seemingly become normal.

Jong Kook puts the sword to his side as he stood straight.

The ex-Marshal stood before him, his stature of an authority rising. “I see you have changed.” He looks at Jong Kook from head to toe. “I didn’t expect you to charge this soon. Have you not learned from the lessons I taught you?”

Jong Kook puts one sword in the other hand and takes off the heavy sword from his back. He throws it toward his uncle, landing on the ground.

“This sword, I am returning back to the owner.”

His Uncle’s eyes trail to the heavy sword. He steps forward and takes off the cloth covering it, revealing the embellished white tiger scabbard and silver engravements. Not taking his eyes off the sword, “This sword can cut through other blades, making it easy to kill an opponent. But the properties of the elements make it difficult to hold. Only those trained with its weight can successfully wield it.”  

“You’ve already stabbed me once, twice will be nothing compare to it.” Jong Kook spoke through gritting teeth.

His uncle’s eyes darken, standing up. He takes out the sword as it was recently cover in fresh blood. Taking his stance as the soldiers back away, he held it up.

“No weakness, no pain, no mercy.”

Jong Kook tightly grasp the two swords in his hands and shifts in stance.

The two figures instinctively charged towards each other as metal clanks echoed in the enclosed camp.

Uncle and Nephew, mentor and student.

 

You were not only someone I once looked up to.

You were my god.

 

Their swords clashed and the two swords in his hands broke, causing him to be thrown back from the force. The weight of the heavy sword caused his hands to tremble and tighten his grip on the broken sword. He holds the broken sword in his rough hands, deeply exhaling.

They transverse back in time when Jong Kook had spar with his Uncle for the first time when he joined the military at age 12.

 

 

His uncle stood before him.

“Is that all you got?”

Twelve-year-old Jong Kook held the two broken swords in his hands, getting up from the ground. He strikes again but his uncle easily kicked him back.

Jong Kook finally had enough and threw the broken swords away. “Uncle, you are cheating. You have the Honorable White Tiger sword while I have ordinary weapons. How can I beat you?”

The Marshal, Kim Mu-Ryeok, puts the sword behind him. “If that is all you care about, you will never be able to defeat your opponent.”

“Excuses. Everyone knows the sword, if wielded by a skilled person, can defeat anyone.”

Kim Mu-Ryeok chuckles, “Fine.” He puts the sword away, stabbing it into the ground. “If you hit me, you can hold it.”

Jong Kook’s eyes lit up.

“Come on, what are you waiting for?”

“Does Honorable Uncle really mean it?” which he nodded.

“Only under the condition that you are able to hit me.”

Jong Kook’s mouth twitch and a grin plaster on his face, “Be prepare.”

It went on and on but he still couldn’t get his hands to touch his uncle. The day was slipping by.

He was exhausted but refused to back down.

“Enough for today.” His uncle stands back while Jong Kook was panting on the ground. His clothes were sullen dirty.

“No,” Jong Kook pushed himself up as his legs wobble.

“Go rest, this is an order.”

Jong Kook refused again, running forward but his uncle’s expression had darkened. His uncle didn’t avoid his attack and this time fights him head on.

With a quick move, he flips Jong Kook over, hitting the ground. It took a few moments for him to gather himself. His whole body was sore. Opening his eyes, his uncle’s figure hover over him. He knew the expression well, he had disobeyed an order.

He rolls over weakly and pushed himself to his knees. “I-… I’m sorry. Please punish me.”

His uncle lowers himself to Jong Kook’s level, keeping the stern look as Jong Kook’s eyes were cast down.

“How brazen of you.” His mutters. He moves his hand out, placing the sword on the ground in front of Jong Kook. “Don’t you want to hold it?”

Jong Kook look up at his uncle then the sword. Hesitantly but also amazed at the same time, his hands touched the matte, engraved cover. It was mesmerizing, incredible. He really wants to open the cover and see the sword for himself.

“Try opening it,” his uncle says.

His hands encircle the cold scabbard and cover and pulled with all his strength but couldn’t open it.

“Uncle, it won’t open.”

His uncle smiled. “It won’t open just because you want it to open. You have to try harder.”

“I can’t,” his arms were tired from all the jumping and attempted attacks he tried earlier. His uncle takes the sword, holding it slightly.

His uncle placed his hand on Jong Kook’s shoulder. “Strength comes from your mind. When you want something so badly, even if your body is broken, you will fight on.” He nudges the scabbard at Jong Kook’s chest.

“Ask yourself, what do you want to protect?”

Jong Kook became silent.

“To be worthy of this sword means great responsibility. You shoulder the pain and burden of those whose lives are at stake. When you fight, you don’t only fight for yourself. You fight for everyone.”

He pats Jong Kook’s shoulder and walked away as Jong Kook watch his sturdy back.

 

“Why did you join the military?” teenage Yoo asked him.

Jong Kook looks out into the distant fields, deep in thought.

“I wanted to be strong, strong enough to shoulder the pain and burden of those whose lives are at stake.”

 

The broken swords were destroyed as he rolls on the ground. On his knees now, he looks up at his Uncle who had the upper hand. His uncle held the sword to his neck.

 

“I want to be someone who fights for everyone. Like Marshal Kim Mu-Ryeok.”

 

Jong Kook kept his eyes on his uncle, waiting for the final blow. With one hit from the white tiger scabbard, Jong Kook’s body fell hard on the ground, unconscious.

His uncle takes one last glance at him then turns around. “Tie him up.”

**************************************************************************

 

Note:

I wanted to end the story by chapter 60 but there are a few thing I didn't want to cut out. I don't want it to smash everything together just to make an ending. Please bear with me.