Chapter 50

Day by Day

Almost had another heart attack when I couldn't find my USB. Whew~ Thank goodness, Confucious, goddess of mercy, and spartace!

****************************************************************************************************

 

The next day~

7 days…

There is only seven days until she will leave.

Ji Hyo sighs as she sits by the door. Morning has risen but she had not slept a wink. Honestly, she had cried until her eyes were swollen, her nose stuffed, yet she could only stay quiet. Her slumber mood turned into spite. 

“That jerk.” She spitefully clutched onto her clothes into a fist. She’ll leave, she will.

Images of his confession and kisses that left her lips made her irritated.

“Love? Don’t make me laugh,” she stands up and glares behind her shoulder. “You don’t love me, you love the fact that I stayed by your side.” Just the thought of it made her eyes burn with tears.

Walking to her bed, she starts taking off her clothes. She was done being sad. She was done being in love with him. Done with their marriage.

***

The doctor notified Jong Kook about Ara’s condition, one that she said she will tell him herself. He returned to Ara’s room, knocking but no answer. He enters the room, shocked to see the things in the room destroyed.

Ara sat in the corner to herself.

“What happened?” he ran to her. He noticed her hand was bleeding with a deep cut.

He hurries to find some bandages to clean her wound and applied ointment on her hand.

Ara looks up at him, he was busy worriedly aiding her.

“Do you love her?” she asked in a whisper.

Jong Kook looks up at her as he just finished bandaging her hand.

Her eyes were teary, “Do you enjoy sleeping with her?”

“Ara,” he knows why she was like this now.

“Answer me,” she asked once again as her body was shaking in anger.

Jong Kook could tell why she was mad. She must have seen it all.

“Did you…”

She looked away and nodded her head as tears stream down her face.

Jong Kook sighed.

Ara stood behind Jong Kook.

“You promised my father!”

Jong Kook looked at her carefully in disbelief.

Ara yelled as her eyes grew watery. “Jong Kook oppa promised my father to take care of me!”

Then into a lower whisper, “Did you not?”

Ara walked towards him. “Didn’t you promise not to change?” She grabbed his left hand and tried to smile hopefully.

“You said you will only marry her for the political purposes, then you’ll make me your second wife.” She tried to fight back the tears.

Jong Kook felt guilty. He is a man and a man keeps his words. But here he is, breaking Ara’s heart.

“Ara,” he tried to speak her name.

She moved his left hand to her abdomen, making him confused. “Here, is our baby.”

Jong Kook stood agape, astonish.

She smiled as she look at his hand on her abdomen then back to him. “You’re not going to leave us, are you?”

Jong Kook couldn’t find the words to say, a part of him not wanting to be a bad man, the other questioning himself.

Ara keeps her eyes on him, knowing he can’t answer, not wanting to admit that he does have true feelings for Ji Hyo, Ara hugs him.

“Don’t leave us, oppa. Don’t leave me and our baby.” She begged him, desperately.

Jong Kook was still speechless. How did she get pregnant? He has always been careful to prevent her from getting pregnant until they get permission and get her to be his second wife.

Knowing the woman in his arm carries his child made him unable to do anything. In the end, he raised his arm up and hugged her back. Thinking of the unborn child, thinking of Ara, telling himself he did wrong to fall for Ji Hyo.

Jong Kook kept scolding himself internally as he hugged Ara. Ara, almost giving up hope, as she felt Jong Kook hug her back, she finally closed her eyes in relief. Jong Kook won’t leave her for Ji Hyo. Jong Kook only loves her, she reassured herself.

***

Jong Kook dreadfully walks down the hall. How could he have made a mistake? How will he face Ji Hyo now? Was his confession last night meant to be wasted?

He looks up, only to find himself at the door of Ji Hyo’s chambers.

He had heed tens of battles, bleeding and injured, yet he was still not afraid to go back on the field. But here he is, afraid to open the door to his ‘wife’s’ room.

Did he have the right to…?

Jong Kook was about to turn away when the door opens. The maid bows to Jong Kook.

“Where is Lady Song?”

“Lady Song has gone out,”

“You may leave now,” and the maid exits, closing the door.

Jong Kook turns to leave but stops, glancing at the door. He had made sure they slept in the same room, always, at the training camp. Although he had always kept a distance between them, whenever she had fallen asleep, he would scoot closer and hold her hand. Sometimes, even cuddling with her and moving back to his spot when morning has risen.

As much of a coward he was, he could not figure out why he couldn’t gather up the courage to confidently tell her that he has feelings for her and insist on them.

That, he would have to ask someone.

***

Yoo looks up at the sky as he stands by the pillar of his own mansion.

So cloudy. The shrouded clouds gathered like the washed-out ink of a brush. He brushed away the thoughts of writing away from his mind quickly.

Sighing, he sits and takes the cup of tea.

He had not intervened in scholarly duties for so long. He had no interest. He didn’t want to write, he wanted to innovate through actions.

However, he didn’t know how little he was until the day he could not protect his own.

He looks up from the cup of tea on his lips, stopping as he sees Jong Kook standing there.

Placing the cup down, he could see an unsettle Jong Kook sit with his back turned to Yoo at the edge of the patio.

Before he could speak-

“Tell me,” Jong Kook spoke. “Why do you like her?”

“Who?”

“My wife.” Jong Kook turns to Yoo and their gaze touch.

Yoo breaks the gaze and continues drinking tea. “I don’t like her.”

“Then why don’t you marry?”

“I don’t like her either.”

“Why not?”

“Why did you marry her?” Yoo countered.

Jong Kook stopped, not able to answer back.

Yoo puts his cup down and smirks. “Don’t tell me you came here just to bicker with me,”

Jong Kook turns around, defeated, his head hanged low. “I don’t know,” he mumbles.

“A house cannot hold two women,” Yoo replies. “You deserve it.”

Out of options, Jong Kook turns to him again, avoiding his gaze. Hesitating before speaking, “Why do I like her?”

“Are you asking me?” Yoo questions.

Sighing heavily, once again, Jong Kook looks up at him. “I’m asking because I really don’t know.”

Yoo was wondering what could have gotten into Jong Kook’s head to come all the way here for marital advice.

“Also, because… I trust you the most… That’s why, I’m asking you, please.” Jong Kook mumbled out low enough for Yoo to hear.

Yoo stiffens and drops his gaze. Touching the cup of warm tea, his hand lightly shook. “You trust me?” He looks back at Jong Kook and smiles, “Fine, as your cousin, I will help you with your love analysis.”

*

The two of them sat down and Yoo pointed to the two colored figures on the table.

“This one, the pink one is Ara, the blue one is Ji Hyo.” Taking the two figures into each of his hands, “What about ‘pink’ do you find the most attractive?”

After a moment of awkward silence, “Are we seriously doing this?” Jong Kook was confused.

Yoo rolls his eyes, “What, do you think I’m enjoying this? Free of charge too. Hurry up before I change my mind.”

Jong Kook could not take this seriously but he has no choice.

“I…”

Yoo tried to listen closely.

“I…-“

“What are you two doing?” a feminine voice calls out behind them, making Yoo drop the figures like fire.

“N-Nothing,” Yoo answers. Clearing his throat, “What are you doing here, interrupting others?”

“Greetings General Kim,” Eun Hye ignores him and smiles at Jong Kook. “I see, you two are playing with puppets.”

The two men shuffled around uncomfortably.

“We are….”

Jong Kook tries to think of something.

“…discussing… important matters.”

“Correct,” Yoo chimes.

“Important matters?” Eun Hye sits down. “What kind of important matters? I’m sure it isn’t that serious. Ever since my arrival in the capital, I haven’t seen General Kim come to Lieutenant Yoo’s place before. All matters were taken care of at the training camp.”

Knowing she had nailed it, Eun Hye smiles brighter. Taking the figurines into her hands, she looks at them. The blue one had Ji Hyo’s name sticker on there and the other one had Ara.

“If the General would like to speak about business of the heart, do you mind if I question instead?”

“Mind your own business,” Yoo states before Jong Kook could answer.

“Sire?” Eun Hye only looks at Jong Kook.

“Why is that?”

“I heard that Lieutenant Yoo is a candidate for your wife’s interest earlier. It wouldn’t be fair to be judge by him, don’t you think?”

Jong Kook thought for a moment as Yoo anticipate his answer.

“Sure,” his answer makes Yoo almost smack his face.

“You said you trusted me?”

“I do.”

“Then why are you willing to talk with her but not me?”

“Because Miss Yoon is correct.”

“Please move,” Eun Hye brought Yoo’s attention back to her. “Or should I say, Get out of the way?” She emphasized it in the most Goryeo accent she could to him.

With no choice, Yoo walks off but close enough to hear them, making Jong Kook shoo him away farther.

*

“How did you and Pink figurine meet?” Eun Hye asks. “Honesty is essential for the most accurate analysis, General.”

Jong Kook thought for a moment, “One year ago, during the battle in Hwanja. My troop was injured and we were guided to the village of the Go’s.”

“Typical,” Eun Hye commented. “How did you bring her into the Kim’s mansion?”

“I-“ he thought for a moment, trying to be as vague as possible but, “There was a surprise attack on the village that I didn’t suspect would happen so fast. It brought disaster to the Go’s, Chief Head Go passed away during the round off. He had entrusted his children to me, including Miss Go.”

“Let me guess,” Eun Hye looks at the pink figurine, “You took her home, developing feelings for her in the process.”

Jong Kook stayed silent as Eun Hye then turns her attention to the blue figurine.

“What about this one?”

Jong Kook glances at Ji Hyo’s blue figurine as he tracks back to the past.

“Our first encounter was 17 years ago in the palace. She saved my life from an incoming wild horse accident during a military recruitment.” Without knowing he had smiled lightly, not escaping Eun Hye’s sharp eyes.

“Let me guess, you fell in love at first sight with her, promising to return from the bloody wars to reunite with marriage and love.”

Jong Kook’s smile fade, “Actually, you are wrong. She had the wisdom and mighty courage of an adult. She told me, since she saved my life, I cannot die. For me to look for her when I return after my proudest war.”

Eun Hye was astounded but kept calm. “And then what happened?”

“After nine years, I came back from my proudest war, I went to find her but-“

“She had an affair?” Eun Hye chimes in.

“Will you be quiet? You want me to answer yet you keep interrupting me.”

Eun Hye nods, “My bad…”

He furrowed his brows at her informal language but continues.

“I returned after 9 years… to find her… in the arms of another man.”

Eun Hye looks up from the table, her ears perking up. Yoo opens his eyes immediately as he leaned against the pillar, eavesdropping.

“The 13th prince was with her, confessing his love and promising to fulfill her with happiness.” Just thinking about it made Jong Kook upset. He seriously looks at Eun Hye, “I left and never return until the demise of my uncle four years later. I never asked about her again. Simply, I forgot about her over the years.”

“Does that answer your question, Miss Go?”

Eun Hye looks intently at him. “What happened after you brought the pink figurine into the Kim’s mansion?”

“Well… my mother. She did not like the fact that Ara was in the Kim’s household. You see, I grew up in a military family. After the demise of my uncle, the Kim family was under a lot of pressure. It was my duty to bring honor back to our family. Ara… I had to take care of her too. If I were to fall into demise, she would have nowhere to go either.”

Jong Kook stops, trying to find the right words.

“Over time… we just…-“ he stops.

“Did you fall in love with her?” Eun Hye questions coldly.

“Love…?”

“How about Lady Song? Why don’t you coincide your two stories?”

“I-..”

Jong Kook stops as he looks at the two figurines.

“I met Ji Hyo again… after 17 years. First, we met in the palace for a brief moment. We met again as I found her in Yeonju under the attack of the Japanese pirates. There, we-“

He stops, reminiscing the moment of when he gripped tightly onto his hand and they run from the pirates.

“Cliff…” he couldn’t find the words to say as the images flashes in his mind.

*Flashback*

The part where Jong Kook kissed Ji Hyo underwater.

Opening his eyes, he could see the slits of her eyes slowly opening. Pulling her out of the water, he dragged her to the shore as they were drenched.

“Thank you for saving the young Miss, General,”

“Who is she?” Jong Kook asked.

“She is Miss Song Ji Hyo, the only daughter of Minister Song in Pohang.”

Jong Kook stood still, hearing clearly about her. It was her. His eyes widen at the realization, his gaze watching them take her unconsciously away.

*Flashback to present*

Eun Hye taps on the table.

“Say no more.”

She puts the two figurines on the table.

“Analysis complete.”

Jong Kook watches her and nervously waited for the results.

“You should divorce.” Eun Hye glares at him.

“What do you mean?”

“Your Korean must not be as good as mine. Di-vorce.”

Jong Kook’s face darkens.

“Who?”

“Ask yourself.”

“Miss Yoon.”

Eun Hye turns to him, intensing her gaze.

“General Kim, although you think you are doing pink figurine any good for being there for her, taking care of her in place of her family, you are making a big mistake. Because of your guilt for causing the demise of her family, you have mistaken and place her in a place where you assume that is ‘love’.

For your family’s honor, you are willing to put figurine blue’s feelings aside and use her to your advantage. Her status, her honor, and worth is not worthy of your feelings at all, because she had betrayed you or your so-called feelings. You are now afraid that you are reciprocating her feelings back while trying to perceive your feelings for pink figurine as valid.”

“You-“

“Am I wrong?” Eun Hye eyed him challenging.  A moment of silence grew seething and she could faintly hear him clench his teeth. “Now choose,” she looks down at the figurines. “Either you let one of them go or you lose both.”

Yoo closed his eyes and leaned his head back on the pillar. He lightly tapped his head back and forth on the wooden pillar.

The wind rustles and became cloudier, greyer.

“Idiot,” Yoo mutters to himself. He could hear the wind whisk around him and the door open hurriedly. He smiles to himself, knowing where Jong Kook has gone.

 

I realized that love is like an ocean; loud when it is shallow and silent when it is deep.

-quote-

***********************************************************

Thank you very much to everyone that participated and voted for the ending of Day by Day. The next update might be tomorrow, stay tuned.