If One Day

Day by Day

Ji Hyo sat across from her in laws. Loss of appetite, she couldn’t even eat the food in front of her. The look on Jong Kook’s face as he growled at her, his protectiveness of Ara, the protection of a husband.

The way he kisses that woman. Her heart grew in envy. A bitter taste in .

“Daughter in law,” Her father in law called her.

Ji Hyo quickly answered, “Yes father?”

“I deeply apologize for my son’s actions.”

“Father, don’t be.” Ji Hyo quickly retorts. “Jong Kook… Husband Kim is my life savior after all. Marrying me must have been a burden to carry.” Her in laws glance at her in worries. Ji Hyo gulped and tries to restrain her tears from remembering how Jong Kook saved her life.

“It must have been hard on him.” She tried to smile.

“Daughter in law,”

“Mother, father, May I excuse myself?” The old couple then slowly nodded as Ji Hyo bowed slightly before leaving.

As Ji Hyo made her way back to her quarters, she went passed the bedroom from last night. There, she could the giggles between her husband and his wife. She quickly proceeded to her room.

She sat in her room, trying to gather her thoughts and came to a final conclusion.

***

A few days passed by, all Ji Hyo could do was stay in her room. She clutched onto her knees as she sat at the corner of her bed. As maids were knocking on the door, she only turned them away.

*Flashback from a few days ago (the night of the discovery)

Ji Hyo made her way to the pavilion where she sees her husband standing alone. Making sure they were alone, she walked beside him.

“The stars are very beautiful tonight.” Ji Hyo proclaimed behind him cheerfully, or that’s what she intended to do.

Jong Kook glances at her. He thought she was Ara but he was wrong.

“It’s you.” that’s all he said. Hopeful but disappointed, Ji Hyo put on a fake smile, ignoring what he just said.

“Aren’t you cold, husband?” Ji Hyo asked him. “It’s a bit chilly. Maybe I can get you a cup of tea?” Ji Hyo was quick on her feet but he stopped her with his rejection.

“It’s alright.”

Ji Hyo turned back to see him. “Would you like to rest husband? Today, I notice you were still in your training-“

“Song Ji Hyo,” He looks at her sternly. “Please don’t address me as husband when we are alone.”

“What would you like me to address you as then?”

“Like how you used to, before we got married.”

The fake smile wears on again as her hope went down the drain again. “Oh…”

“I see you didn’t go to dinner, would you like me to cook-“

“Song Ji Hyo.”

“Yes hus- I mean… Jong Kook.” Ji Hyo tried to speak up as she tripped over her words.

He stepped up closer to her. She could feel her heart beating like crazy. Almost holding her breath as the distance between then nears. He stops as they stood at an arm’s length.

He sighs before speaking. “Ji Hyo, don’t treat me like a husband.”

“What are you saying? You are my hus-“

“I,” he speaks louder, “I am a married man.”

Ji Hyo shuts up.

“I only married you for the bigger image. My father, the minister of defense, needed aid and help from your father, the minister of Justice. After I saved you from the incident in Yeoju, they thought we would be a compatible couple and wanted us to marry in order for the households to grow stronger. I initially did not want to marry you but my mother threaten to harm my wife thus leaving me with no choice. So, I married you.”

He could see the hurt, the pain but he couldn’t do anything to help it.

“So please, don’t make my wife misunderstand this situation.” He requests.

Ji Hyo just stood absent-mindedly. Her blank face and big brown eyes stared at him. Her lips quiver up, trying to smile.

“So… so that’s why.” She looked away, back to the sky.

“I’m sorry that you have to go through this, Miss Song.” He slightly bows his head.

“I see…” Ji Hyo gulped. “What about her? Why are you still a bachelor on the market, Sir Kim?” He then stood to the sky just like her.

“What kind of woman is she?” trying to sound cheerful.

There, she peeked and sees a little smile from him. “Go Ara, a woman I saved from a battle I fought.” She could see the glimmer in his eyes.

“Her father was the leader of the village and entrusted her to me before he died. He was the only family she had left.”

He was so happy, she could sense it even with their distance. “I took her in and we fell in love but my mother forbids. So she tried to send Ara away. But I met you and that’s how we got mixed up in this situation.”

“How do you know if it’s love and not responsibility, Sir Kim?” She dared to ask him. He snaps back to reality and looks back at her to meet her eyes.

Sincerely, she asked him, “Are you sure it is love?”

His eyes locked with hers as he sees where she was going. “Take our relationship here for example and you’ll find out the answer.” He walked passed her, ending the conversation.

“Then take responsibility for me.” Ji Hyo declared behind him.

Jong Kook turns back to face Ji Hyo. He chuckled a bit in a serious tone. “Miss Song-“

“If you are not going to love me,” she held her tears back and restrains her quivering voice, “then take responsibility of me.”

“What?”

“You said that you only married me to help your father handle the military defense right? Now that you have what you want, how about showing me the dignity I deserve?”

Ji Hyo steps up to Jong Kook as she initiates the nearing distance, stopping right before him.

“Sir Kim, if you aren’t willing to treat me like a wife, please at least give me the dignity of being the official wife of the Kim household.”

“I don’t want to ruin y-“

“I don’t want you to sleep with me neither do I want to be involve with you as much as I already am. Just please, remember that I am your wife in name. As of your wife, I will leave it to your heart’s content.” Ji Hyo smiles at him with the most genuine smile.

Although he appeared stony, Jong Kook was surprised that Ji Hyo would request this of him. “To my heart’s content?”

Ji Hyo nods. “To your heart’s content in exchange for my honor and dignity.” Jong Kook slowly nods.

“Have a good night hu- Sir Kim.” Ji Hyo walked away, almost crossing the bridge, she turned back.

“If one day,” she smiles as he curiously turns his attention back to her. “I find someone that I love, please, let me go.” She finished.

Jong Kook froze before he nods in agreement. “I promise you.” He smiles faintly.

Ji Hyo bows slightly before turning away.

“One day, you will find that someone.” Jong Kook shouted behind her. Then whispered to himself, “Someone better than me. I’m sorry, Ji Hyo.”

I will find someone… better… I will…

Ji Hyo convinced herself but the streams of tears had already reached her eyes.

*Flashback to present*

Ji Hyo hit her head on her knees. “I must have gone crazy… So crazy…” Ji Hyo rolled on her bed back and forth before falling off.

She yelps at she lands on the floor.

“Lady Kim, are you alright?” a maid asked worriedly.

“It’s okay… I’ll be okay.” Ji Hyo closes her eyes. She then gets up and changes her clothes before heading out. If you’re won’t love me, I’ll love myself. Thanks for telling me straight up.

Ji Hyo puts on her biggest smile before opening her door.

“Lady Kim, you have a guest.” the maid stated.

“Who?” Ji Hyo wondered.

**************************************************

Thanks for the awesome feedback, subscribers, and upvotes! I hope I don't confuse and bore you to death on this story xD

I am hiatus on my other stories right now as I'm trying to find inspiration of the storyline and this story just came up. Please leave me loads of comments on what you think about this story!

Ps: Don't hate me :)

PSS: This will be a happy spartace ending, don't worry! Or will it? lol