Chapter 12

Day by Day

Everyone in the Kim Household was packing for the hunting trip.

Ji Hyo packed her necessities and was heading out with Yeo Jin.

Supposedly, the trip was for Jong Kook and Yoo but Jong Kook wanted to take Ara out too. But if Ara goes alone with him, others may bad mouth Ji Hyo so he invited her along.

Ji Hyo was glad he asked her to go along with the hunting trip but she knew why after hearing him talk about Ara, she seemed to be used to it now but still, a feeling of dreadfulness.

Ji Hyo stepped outside the mansion to see a horse carriage and a few troops. She turned around to see a horse neighing up high, startling her.

Yoo pulled the horse away as he saw Ji Hyo. He quickly gets off the horse to confide her.

“Are you alright?”

Ji Hyo looks up at him, “I’m alright.”

Yoo observes her looking around, “You must be looking for General Kim.”

Ji Hyo smiles, “What is this? You sound so formal.” She thought that they had become closer yesterday but it seems like he just turned his back on her.

“Just because we had a few drinks together doesn’t mean that we should lower our speeches in public… sister-in-law.” Yoo spoke in a formally matter, making Ji Hyo lose her smile.

Now that Ji Hyo thinks about it, he was right. But why does she feel so comfortable when she talks to him? Was it because of how they met or of his drunkness the other night? Or is just because no one has talked to her like that for a while now?

“The carriage is that way sister-in-law.” Yoo pointed and turned away from her back to his horse.

Ji Hyo stopped and think to herself as she entered the carriage. As the journey was ready and heading out of the capital, she couldn’t find Ara anywhere. But as she opened the drape to look for her, she sees Ara on Jong Kook’s horse, sitting behind him. Her arms around his body and him holding onto the horse strap, one of his hand holding hers.

That’s when Ji Hyo was warped back into reality.

Her eyes were locked on them, her brows furrow, her adrenaline pumping, heart beating wildly.

Yoo turned around to see Ji Hyo from the carriage, looking at Jong Kook and Ara. He notices the expression on her face. It wasn’t cheery like usual, instead it was like when he found out she was married to his cousin.

He sees her hand tightening her grip onto the drape before putting it down slowly and going back inside. A string pulled in his chest to see her upset.

Ji Hyo retreated back inside as she tried to control herself. It wasn’t too long ago that she had gotten used to the fact that Jong Kook and Ara are actual lovers, husband and wife, as she was only the official wife.

But seeing it with her eyes brings it all back. The heartache, the memories, the thoughts. It seems as if the relationship she had built up with Ara has gone down the drain. She keeps telling herself she will not be ‘that’ kind of woman, but it seems like the heart is more in control than the mind.

Her eyes burn with tears but she held onto her hands in a fist. She needs to remain calm. Ji Hyo breathes deeply in and out as she closed her eyes.

***

They have arrived at the hunting course by noon.

Jong Kook got off the horse and held up his hand to help Ara. He looks around the camp, ordering the people to set up the tents and start guarding around them.

He sees the carriage stop but Ji Hyo didn’t get out. Was she sick? Or is she asleep?

He takes Ara to sit while he goes back to the carriage.

“Song Ji Hyo?” He called but no answer. He was about to open the drapes but it was opened quickly, startling him.

Ji Hyo showed herself, in a deep blue hunting men suit. Her braided bun was already loosen up into a high ponytail, showing that she is a woman.

She gets off the carriage without his help as he only stares at her.

She walks pass him without any acknowledgement, fixing her clothes as she walked away.

He huffs as she ignored him without any words. He turned around and sees her making her way towards the horses and weapons.

He follows her behind. Ji Hyo looks over the weapons, trying to decide which one to use.

“What are you doing?” Still, no response from Ji Hyo.

“Miss Song,” he chuckled as he sees her put her finger over the swords and spears to the arrows. “You don’t have to act tough, no one is going to hurt you.”

“How are you so sure?” Ji Hyo finally answered.

“Because I’m here.” Jong Kook replied but still, Ji Hyo wasn’t looking at him. “Can you at least look at me when I’m talking to you?” It was more a like a demand. He sees her hold up a dagger.

“Careful, you might cut yourself.” But she puts it right into her pocket, surprising him.

“Jong Kook.”

He turns around and sees Ara calling him, as she walked closer.

“Yes?”

“I heard there is a very beautiful waterfall around here. We should tour there before heading back to the capital.” Ara smiled excitedly. Jong Kook nodded. He turned back to Ji Hyo only to see her pick up a bow, stretching it.

“Miss Song, you should come along with us too,” Ara added.

“It would be a pleasure to do so.” Ji Hyo answered, almost bitterly.

Jong Kook could hear the tone in her voice, he asked Ara to go back to the tent and rest.

As Ara walked away, he turns his attention back to Ji Hyo as he told the soldiers to leave them alone too.

He moves toward her. “What’s wrong?” he asked in a more serious tone. Irritated by her silence.

“You didn’t have to speak to Ara in that way. She was only trying to be nice.” His voice stern. Her ignorance made his blood boil.

“Song Ji Hyo!” He inched behind her as she ignored him to the max.

He was about to pull her around but Ji Hyo put the arrow on the bow, and turning around, pointing it straight at Jong Kook as she pull the bowstring back, ready to shoot.

Jong Kook stopped immediately as he sees her actions. The look in her eyes, so deadly… so… scary. He was afraid of her for that second. It seems as if she had turned into a different person.

“Ji Hyo,” he said her name in almost a whisper.

Ji Hyo only stared at him with her gaze. “I wonder what harm this will bring.” Her voice was almost monotone, a dark aura.

Ji Hyo lets go of the string, releasing the arrow, however it brushes passed Jong Kook and hits a bird that was flying down.

Jong Kook turns around to see a bird fall down as the arrow hits it. He glances back at Ji Hyo who puts the bow around her and a few batches of arrows over her shoulder.

“My first shot, for you.” Ji Hyo said before walking pass him and heading to a horse.

“You know how to hunt?” he asked in an utter confusion. Why did he rescue her when she knew how to hunt? Wait, no. hunting and killing is the same thing.

Ji Hyo climbed on the horse. “My ‘husband’ is the general after all. I should at least know this much.” Her answer hit a spot to his demise. “I won’t be back until dark. Don’t look for me.” She said before riding off into the distance.

His eyes never left her back as she parted further away.

What the hell just happened? Jong Kook touched his chest a bit. What is wrong with you, Ji Hyo?

He gulped before turning around. Yoo was nowhere in sight.

“Where is Lieutenant Yoo?” Jong Kook asked the guards.

“Lieutenant Yoo departed to hunting first, general.”

Jong Kook shook his head in frustration. First Ji Hyo, now Yoo.

He turns back to Ara as she happily moves the things around the tent.

***

Ji Hyo ride the horse quickly into the fields as the mane of the horse also flowed against the wind. She wanted to hide. She wanted to be gone from this world, forever.

She stopped as she sees a group of birds from the sky, flying away. She drew her arrow back and releases it, killing a bird as it fell.

She rushed to pick it up but she felt another hand on top of hers, standing up with the bird in their hands to see each other.

Gong Yoo.

Their gazes locked as they look deep into each other’s eyes.

“This is mine.” Yoo said as the bird was hit with two arrows.

“It’s mine.” Ji Hyo retorted.

“Says who?”

“I did.” Ji Hyo replied. Yet they could both feel a common feeling. It wasn’t just about being the one who owns the bird. It was deeper, a feeling of wanting to be the only owner of something. The feeling of possession.

Ji Hyo finally let go as she came back to her sense. “Take it, I’ve got my first shot.” Then she pulled out the arrow from the bird and headed back to her horse.

Yoo watches her leave, his eyes never departing from her figure. She got on her high horse and ride away from him.

The line of boundaries, where does it really begin?

Seeing her sudden change in attitude tells him that she was affected by the way Jong Kook had been treating Ara for a while now.

Yoo got on his horse and chased after her.

Ji Hyo was ready to shoot a rabbit but someone else shot it before her. She turns to see him again, Yoo smiled in almost a smirk.

“It’s mine.” He rode his horse to grab it up. She was about to shoot another one but he shot it again. “This one’s mine too.” He grinned, seeing Ji Hyo almost annoyed.

“Why are you stealing my preys, Lieutenant? There are plenty of other preys.”

Yoo fiddles with the arrow in his hand and the bow. “Who says these are your preys?” He looks back up at her in a thin smile. “It’s only yours if you shoot it.”

Ji Hyo raised her brows then figured what he was saying.

Yoo shoot an arrow at her, brushing above her, hitting another bird, landing right before her. Ji Hyo catches the bird in almost a shock. Yoo moves toward her as and takes the bird out of her hand.

“What do you say, a hunting challenge?” His voice, almost genuine. Ji Hyo’s face lit up.

She has to admit, this man right here is really charming and competitive. She had forgotten about everything as she nod lightly and turns her horse away to start off the race. Yoo smiled to himself bigger as he rode after her.

They chased each other through the fields, shooting the animals and taking their preys. They moved past the wind and forgot about everything. As if this world only revolve around them.

***

Jong Kook shuffles back and forth as he arrives back from hunting. He went to hunt but he couldn’t find Yoo or Ji Hyo.

*Flashback*

Jong Kook hurries to the scene only to slow down his steps as he see his cousin hold onto Ji Hyo’s wrist. The closeness and movement Yoo made when he held onto Ji Hyo’s wrist, pulling her body against his.

*Flashback*

Yoo and Ji Hyo were dancing around and singing off tone, causing a loud commotion. Jong Kook headed out to see who it was.

Then he sees them: Yoo and Ji Hyo’s distance, so close. He hugged her and she hugged him back, patting his back as Yoo was in clear devastation. His heart started beating irregularly as he couldn’t find the courage to look away or any words to say. What do you call this feeling?

*Flashback to present*

Ara has finished cooking some of Jong Kook’s favorite food and comes behind him, back hugging him.

“Husband,”

“Huh?” Jong Kook was still lost in thought.

“Didn’t you hear what I just said?”

“I’m sorry, what did you say?” Jong Kook turns to her.

Ara looked at him worriedly. “Is there something worrying you?”

Jong Kook squeezes her hand, “Nothing. It’s just,” he looks at the sun setting, “it’s getting dark.”

Ara nodded. “Miss Song must be on her way back,” she squeezes his hand back. “I’m sure she will be back, if not, we can go search for her right now.”

Jong Kook smiles, “It’s alright, she said she won’t be back until dark. So what were you going to tell me?”

Ara lightly pokes his nose. “But she is still a woman after all.” Jong Kook nodded but Ara tried to assure herself nothing was wrong. “I cooked your favorite food.”

“Oh really?” Jong Kook held her hand. “Let’s go eat then.” He dragged her back to the camp dinner. But a voice keeps telling him something was wrong.

**********************************************************************

Thank you for the comments and subscribers! I apoloize again for the slow updates. I'm still catching up with my life ><

But thank you for encouraging me with your lively views and comments! I hope this chapter was alright!