Chapter 5

Day by Day

At the crack of dawn, Ji Hyo opened her eyes only to find herself in bed, alone. Jong Kook was not there anymore. Only the bedsheets and his fragrance linger with her.

Ji Hyo brushed her hair back and cuddle her knees to her chest. Disappointment, that’s all she can feel as she keeps telling herself that everything is absolutely normal the way it is.

She got ready and prepared for her father’s departure.

***

Yeo Jin peeked around before signaling Ji Hyo. Ji Hyo and Yeo Jin ran out the back door, dressed in men’s clothing.

Ji Hyo and Yeo Jin walked through the market excitedly.

“It’s been a while, I haven’t been able to come out like this.” Ji Hyo stretched her arms.

“You hid inside the house for a month before getting married, I’m surprise that you didn’t go out after you got married, Miss.”

“Oh ho~.” Ji Hyo turned to her. “Don’t call me that,” she pointed to their clothes.

“Sorry, I just can’t get used to the fact that you are already marri-“ Ji Hyo covered .

“Don’t let our identity be revealed.” Ji Hyo snapped.

“Nneh.”

Then they continue down the market, overseeing the every item on sale. Ji Hyo could only search the market and calculate the net price for everything. For sure, Anyang was a different city from Pohang. People dressed differently and all Ji Hyo could do was try not to walk to fast with Yeo Jin running behind her.

After squandering around for an hour, Ji Hyo decided to head back. As she sneaked behind the Kim Mansion, Yeo Jin headed in first to bring her a skirt to cover herself in case she meets someone. While Ji Hyo waited, she kept sneaking around to make sure no one saw her.

Yeo Jin was about to come to the door but someone blocked her. Jong Kook was talking to her.

Ji Hyo covered , in shock, not because she was afraid to show him like this but more of getting caught: The Kim’s daughter-in-law is running around in a man’s clothing??? She would look ridiculous.

Suddenly someone grabbed the back collar of her shirt, pulling her back.

Ji Hyo immediately held onto the person’s hand, trying to release herself. But she met the face of a young man. He only glared at her.

“What do you think you’re doing here?” He asked loudly. Ji Hyo immediately search around for people. “Do you not her me? Why are you-“

Ji Hyo immediately covered his mouth. He counter it and tried to arm lock her but Ji Hyo turned around and duck. Hearing the feet shuffling to the back door, Ji Hyo ran away. The man ran after her in persistence, as he caught up with her.

He tried to capture Ji Hyo, but she wasn’t having it either. They basically fought until he wrapped his arm around Ji Hyo’s neck as he stood behind her, locking her arm behind her, her back facing him.

“I asked you,” he gritted through his teeth. “Who are you and why are you sneaking around Minister Kim’s mansion? It is a crime.”

“Who said so?” Ji Hyo answered.

“I did.” He answered back. Ji Hyo tried to struggle but he held her firmly. “Tough luck.” He was ready to report her to the police when she tripped him and made a run for it. He immediately grab her hair, accidently pulling the string that tied her hair up. He pulled her around and they rolled down the hill. He ended on top of her as the grass covered them.

He halted his movement as he noticed something about her. She had no Adam’s apple, and her chest~. His eyes widen as he removed himself from her. Ji Hyo got up and covered her chest while her hair scatter in a mess.

She got up ready to leave, but he got up and grabbed her arm.

“It doesn’t matter that you are a woman, I’m still reporting you to the police and the Kim’s.” He got ready to pull her away but she resisted, grabbing his hand.

“Please let me go. I didn’t do anything.” He turn back to her. “Just this once,” she begged while holding up one finger. “Please~”

He huffed and chuckle. “Wrong is wrong, right is right,” then turn back to his serious face.

Ji Hyo pulled back. “But there must have been times when wrong becomes right, right?” He scowled at her. She gave him her puppy eyes and tried to stand up gracefully. “I only wanted to go inside but my clothes are inside the mansion. I was waiting for my friend to bring them to me.”

He then let go of her and put his hands on his hips. “Then why did you go out? As a servant to the Minister and general, you have to be aware of how your actions can harm them.”

Great, now he thinks she is a servant. She didn’t want to lie to him but she didn’t want to be revealed like this too.

“I…” Ji Hyo tried to think. “I just moved into the Kim’s household and I’m new to Anyang. I just wanted to explore…”

The man just crossed his arms. She has to admit, he is charming. Wait why is she thinking like this?

“Please let me this once okay?” She raised her hand up, “I promise this won’t happen again.”

He only examine her. “What is your name?”

Should she lie to him? She shook her head, then look up at him and smile.

“Um..”

“Don’t you dare lie to me.” He pointed at her. “I will find you no matter who you say you are.”

She took a deep breath. “I wasn’t planning to lie anyway.” He raised his brows and waited for her answer.

“Song.. Ji Hyo.”

He blink at the mention of her name. It was familiar but he can’t pinpoint where he heard it before.

“What’s your name?”

He switches back to her. “Why should I tell you?”

“But I told you mine.”

“You would jump in fear.”

Ji Hyo gave him a low chuckle and cleared , noticing him keeping his eyes on her. She looks up at him and smiled.

“Well then, Sir.” She lightly bowed, surprising him a bit and turned away. He watched her walk away, trying to find her way around the small hill.

Somehow, there was something about her that caught his attention. Then he smiled and looks down at the string that he pulled from her hair. “Song Ji Hyo,” he whispered to himself.

***

Ji Hyo ran to the back of the house with all her might. She covered her face with her hair in case someone discovers her. She knocked on the door lightly to see that Yeo Jin was by the door. The door opened and Ji Hyo sneaked inside as she closed the door behind her.

“Yeo Jin-“ She turned around to meet the eyes of the stoned man. Jong Kook held his hands behind his back as he looks at her. Yeo Jin muttered a low apology as she look down. Ji Hyo tried to compose herself in front of him.

Yet he didn’t say anything. Ji Hyo fidgeted in her spot before she cleared to speak.

“I can expla-“

Jong Kook stepped toward her, making them an arm’s length apart. Ji Hyo gulped.

“Why did you go out like this?”

His stern voice made her whole body stiff, Ji Hyo tried to look up at him but shame and embarrassment stopped her.

“Answer me.” Ji Hyo took a deep breath and look up at him.

“I-“

“Never mind.” He look away, making Ji Hyo feel guilty. “I honestly don’t care why you went out. But you should be aware of your actions in the future. The Kim’s are not toys, Miss Song.”

“That’s not it.” Ji Hyo tried to explain. “I just wanted to go out.”

“Then go out in proper clothes.” He looked at her from head to toe. “Song Ji Hyo, you wanted me to treat you like the official wife you are but I can’t if you are going to ruin my name.”

Pang! Ji Hyo didn’t know what to say. He covered her head with the skirt behind him, the one he was holding behind him. Ji Hyo could only look down. Then he turned around and walked away.

Ji Hyo looked up at him with tears in her eyes but swallowed down her pride. She turned away and sniff, refusing to let her tears fall, although disappointment was all she felt now.

***********************************************************************