Chapter 62

Day by Day

~Goryeo~

His vision fades in and out as he was in chains. His arms were stretched as he hung off the ground, the chains tightly clasped to his wrists, digging into his skin.

He has been imprisoned in an unknown place for how long, he does not know. His hands had become numb, the tortures occurred every few days with him only being fed water. His hair was chopped very short.

To every man, every warrior, his hair is equal to his life. And they did exactly that, stripped him of every power and will he may have.

Opening the slits of his eyes, his batter face glanced around the place. Aching, he slowly works up the energy to grab the chain that tied around his hands. He carefully pulls himself up, though the stench of blood garnered in the room. The wounds on his dirty body stained with dry blood.

His battered body slump back as his tied hands hanged from the ceiling of the tent.

Jong Kook furiously searched his mind for an option, any options. Yet, only the image of her came to his mind. He missed her so terribly. He swears, the moment he gets out of here and end this war, he will find her.

Grunting, he tries once more to grab the rope that bounded him and the chains that weighed his feet. Clenching his jaw, the sound of his teeth gritting and saliva filled his mouth.

Slash!

His body is throw to the ground as he gasped for air. The sudden fall hit his chest as he landed on the ground. Turning around, Crown Prince Bolin stood there, dressed in his signature black outfit.

Cleanly putting away his sword, he helps release the knots of the rope and the chains off of Jong Kook.

“Let’s get you home,” Bolin whispered as he helps Jong Kook up.

What is this? What is going on? His mind couldn’t process the current situation. How did Bolin penetrate into the place so easily?-

“It wasn’t easy to get inside,” Bolin answered his unasked questions. Carrying Jong Kook out of the hall out, Jong Kook then realized why he couldn’t hear anything. He was locked up underground, away from all the fighting and actions. The cold air instantly touched his skin as the stench of blood filled his nose.

Emerging to the surface, Jong Kook could see an active battle. Bolin lets go of him as a group of enemy soldiers come forward. He hands the sword by his waist to Jong Kook.

“You can still fight right, General?”

Jong Kook, shirtless, haggard takes the sword and without speaking, he catches his breath as he takes his stance. He pulls himself together and launched his attach as the enemy soldiers dive in to fight.

Blood shed filled the place, tents burned, bodies fall onto the ground. Jong Kook roars as he could taste the blood in the air, the wounds on his body tore into his core as he becomes weaker.

Just then, a launch of spikes is thrown at them. Bolin pushes them out of the way, rolling on the ground.

Glancing up, Jong Kook could see at the corner of his eye, a bloody Yoo struggling against his uncle. Bolin pulled him up as they continue to fight the remaining soldiers. His aura radiated more than ever as he grabs the swords, one in each hand as he didn’t care about the pain anymore.

Twirling, he cut every enemy that came in his way as he made his way towards his uncle and Yoo. His short hair brushed in the wind and his nape was revealed to the cold

Yoo clenched his teeth as Ex-Marshal Kim Mu Ryeok strikes once more with the white tiger scabbard, making him struggle against him. Holding his own sword intact at against the force above him, Yoo pushes up as he twists his sword.

The tip of the white tiger blade grazed his shoulder as he rolled over. Pushing himself up, takes his stance once more. He had prepared himself for this moment the second he found out that Jong Kook was missing.

Spitting blood, he readies himself for another attack when Jong Kook comes running towards them. Jong Kook jumps and launches his attack, the two swords in his hands in an ‘X’ as he strikes down.

Yoo frowns as he knew the strength of the White tiger scabbard sword. It could cut through other blades easily and make their enemies defenseless. His sword, the double-edged blade was able to with stand the attacks because they were made by the same elements.

He strikes from the side to evade Jong Kook from getting attacked. Mu Ryeok holds his sword against Jong Kook’s two swords, breaking them instantly as he sidekicks Yoo, whose sword slashed his arm.

Jong Kook twirls in the air as he avoids the blade and strikes under Mu Ryeok’s leg.  

Mu Ryeok jumps back, falling to one knee, as Jong Kook and Yoo stood before him. Jong Kook huffs as he helps Yoo up.

Chuckling, Mu Ryeok touch the wound on his arm. He looks at the two man he once mentored. They have grown up alongside each other.

After being exiled for years, he finally escaped. He started his revenge plan against the King, someone he truly trusted that would lead the country to peace. Only, he was betrayed and his family was completely destroyed. In a moment, everything he had accomplished had disappeared.

Now that his two mentors, nephews, stood against him while serving the evil puppet King, the rage in his heart multiplied.

“Surrender,” Jong Kook spoke, “Uncle.”

 

(Listen to : Byun Yo Han (변요한) - Song of Chungsan - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySMU4gywJis )

 

Mu Ryeok continues to chuckle as he groans, the wound on his leg was accurate, slashed precisely where he was injured years ago. The reason he wasn’t able to fight back and was forced to kneeled.

“Nothing has changed at all, history will continue to repeat itself,” Mu Ryeok replied. “What did I do so wrong?”

Jong Kook swallowed as he recites the law, “Treason is a fatal crime, punished by death.”

“If you surrender,” Yoo stated, “We’ll pretend nothing happened.”

The Uncle continue to laugh, amused by their words and actions. “Why would I pretend nothing happened when it did?” His voice turning raspy as he spits blood. Pushing himself up with the sword, “Since the beginning of time, the weak have always been trampled by the powerful. Someone I thought shared the same dream, someone that I thought would strive to rule with peace…wrecked me… The only truth in world is that the powerful wrecks the weak. The powerful plunders the weak. This is… the only truth that does not change!”

He readies the white tiger scabbard in his hand.

“I serve no such King.”

Jong Kook and Yoo closed their eyes, taking in the moment before holding their swords. “Uncle-“

“Let’s get this over with, I don’t have much time left.” His uncle interrupts his protest and charges towards them.

They gulped before sighing and readying their stances for the fight. Holding out their swords, they split and circled around the uncle, one attack the upper half and one attacked the lower half.

Though the heavy sword was held in his hand, Mu Ryeok swung it effortlessly. Jong Kook and Yoo fought tightly against him as they each took a turn.

Jong Kook’s two broken blade jabbed the lower half as he spin under and Yoo jumped with his attacks, each colliding with Mu Ryeok’s blade.

Mu Ryeok falls on one knee as the old pain reoccurred. He slanted over and tries to cover himself but fails. Yoo twirls above him as he slashes Mu Ryeok’s underarm once more, making him lose hold of the sword. Jong Kook’s kick made him falls back, rolling on the cold ground.

Holding out his broken sword out, Jong Kook, sweat and tears, glared at his uncle. “Please, surrender,”

His uncle held his chest as he looks up at the two men. He coughs blood and smiles, pushing himself to sit up. “No weakness, no pain, no mercy. Did you forget that principle?”

He struggled to hold back his tears as he still pointed his sword down at his Uncle. Yoo waited silently as he too grew teary. Who would have thought they would be the one to end the life of their Uncle, their mentor?

Jong Kook’s hand shook as he tries to hold back the tears that threaten to fall. Bringing his arm up, he raised the sword.

Yoo turned back to the back and saw the spear coming in at Jong Kook. With no weapon in his hands, Yoo pushes Jong Kook out of the way. The spear pierces through his body as he knelt down in pain.

Aware of the attack just now, Jong Kook threw the broken sword at the enemy, killing him immediately. He turns to Yoo and sees Yoo hold onto the spear that pierces through his body and falling to his knees and back.

“Yoo!” Jong Kook runs to him and covers his wound, trying to cease the pain. Yoo slowly takes out the spear as he grunted and hissed, coughing out blood. Jong Kook tries to stop him but couldn’t as Yoo already pulled it out halfway. Jong Kook ripped off his own cloak and wrapped it around the wound.

“You’re going to be okay.” Jong Kook assures him. But Yoo felt his vision blurring. Blood seeped from his clothes to Jong Kook as his hands were covered in Yoo’s blood. Glancing up, he sees his uncle walking away in the fiery shadow, limping. He turned back to Yoo, holding onto the wound.

While Jong Kook was busy trying to treat Yoo’s wound and yelling for help from the troop, Yoo shakily grabbed Jong Kook’s hand as he was pressing on the wound. Jong Kook turned his attention to Yoo as Yoo struggled to speak.

Taking a deep breath, “I… *voice cracking up* Jong Kook hyung…” Jong Kook tried to look away.

“We’re taking you back to camp now.” Jong Kook tries to press on the wound. But Yoo tighten his grip on Jong Kook’s hand and grabs his collar.

“…” he struggles to breathe, “Stop.” Tears burst in his eyes. “That’s enough.”

Jong Kook, stuck in a dilemma. A desire burned his chest as he tried to search for words or at least an answer for Yoo but only the sound the troops running to them and Yoo’s deep breathing could be heard. Bolin arrives behind them as he sees Yoo on the ground.

He grips Jong Kook’s hand and smiles faintly.

Jong Kook could only choke out his words. “Y-You’re not going to die Yoo.” He held Yoo’s hand back. He carried Yoo on his back, “I won’t let you die like this!”

Yoo slug on his back as he carried him with all his might. The warm blood dripped down his back as Yoo hang on weakly. Running out the camp, Jong Kook held on tightly to Yoo. Bolin watches them silently.

“Hyung,” his voice cracked weakly. His lips pale from blood loss.

“We are almost in camp now. You have to hang on!” Jong Kook demanded.

“I-I’m sorry…” Yoo smiled tearfully as he was fading away. Jong Kook tried to ignore his requests although he could hear Yoo’s voice. “You’ll have to be on your own now.”

“I,” he heavily sighed, “cannot accompany you anymore… ” He tries to hang on with his breath.

“Gong Yoo! If you do not shut up, I will drop you right here on this battlefield! I will destroy your brother’s tomb and hurt your mother! That’s why… that’s why you have to live you rascal.” Jong Kook angrily scolded Yoo.

Yoo smiled as he rests on Jong Kook’s back.

He reminisces his time with Ji Hyo from their first meeting ‘til now.

“At least,” Yoo hoarsely spoke, weaker now. “You’ll have Ji Hyo…” In his eyes, he could only see her smiling at him, remembering the times they spent together. His voice became almost inaudible.

“Please… love her… truly…”

Yoo’s hold on Jong Kook loosen as his body falls back. Jong Kook turns to catch him, causing them both to roll over, falling off the hill.

***

Capital of Goryeo

Ji Hyo set down her items as she arrived in the Kim’s Mansion. The travel back gave her motion sickness but she couldn’t rest until she got home. Sitting in the main courtyard, the first flakes of snow had fell.

Reaching her hand out, the little snowflakes melted in her palm. She stood up as she thought of her departure. She had requested the Emperor to send people to rescue Jong Kook. However, it had to be done discretely because, if known, allies and enemies could use it as an opportunity to start war between Goryeo and Yuan.

Everything was done in the shadow.

The light snow covered her hair and the furry robe around her. Placing the other hand on her lower abdomen, she spoke to herself. “Be good and wait for your father, alright, my child.” She smiled.

 

(Listen to: Six Flying Dragons (OST)- The Bangwon's Nature - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wrz_Lwf9GI )

 

“General Kim’s troop has returned!”

Hearing this announcement, Ji Hyo hurriedly stepped out of the courtyard to the main gate.

The soldiers were wounded but stood their stance. Behind them were the carriage of their dead brothers and colleagues. There were crowds of people sobbing in the background. This battle was a dangerous one, many casualties occurred. Though there was victory, the citizens wept for their loved one.

There was a carriage nearby, Madam Kim and Madam Gong silently sobbed. The closer she got to the carriage, the faster her heart beated, cold sweats start to form. She didn’t know if she should reveal the cloth. Somehow, her hand slowly reached toward it.

As her hand touched the hem of the cloth, Ji Hyo took a deep breath. Just as she was about to uncover it, a hand suddenly held hers, stopping her from revealing it. The man grabs her hand and immediately turns her around into his chest.

Shock as to who it may be and with confusion spread all over her face, Ji Hyo froze. She was about to pull away as the embrace became tighter. There, with the familiar scent, Ji Hyo then realize who it was.

Her eyes grew watery and raised her hand to clutch onto the man’s uniform armor, letting her tears fall as she closed her eyes. The man held her tightly as one hand held her head and the other around her shoulders. With realization of who the person was, Ji Hyo closed her eyes and let the tears fall, raising her hand to clutch onto the man’s uniform armor.

The view revealed who the man was: Kim Jong Kook.

His fellow soldiers bowed to him as Madam Gong and Kim hugged each other. The state he was in was unspeakably bad, his beautiful hair was cut short into shags. Though the uniform covered his body, the marks on his face showed the torture he had gone through.

The two of them embraced each other tightly while the snow light pours down.