Chapter 59 B

Day by Day

Kenji’s POV

He drew a deep breath as he stood by the top of the hill. The night was dark and the crest of the moon was the only light. A cold breeze past by and cools the air. He stood over Yuan, mounted on his chestnut horse.

 

*Flashback*

8 years old….

Kenji peeked out the window, amaze at the attention of the others who roamed so freely outside. Cherry blossoms had started to sprout and the snow was melting. He sighed.

He never understood why his mother restricted him from leaving outdoors. For as long as he could remember, his mother gave orders and refused to let him near anyone.

He sighs and sees the young princes run around, playing games. He wanted to play too…

One day, a beautiful blossoming day, he finally chose to sneak out of his inner palace. He joins the younger children and played games. It was a moment he would remember, a day of having friends.

The older children had wanted to play hide and seek. Being the young child, he was, he found a place to hide. None of the children found him as he hid under the palace behind the small boulder.

He waited and waited, but no one found him. But he wanted to win, his first time playing and not seem like a black sheep.

The sun had gone down and he finally woke up from the nap. It was then he heard his mother calling for him. Her voice had become frantic and screaming everywhere for him. He had never heard her talk in that way before.

Afraid, he carefully steps out from under the palace building. “Okaasan, I’m here.”

The woman in the striking floral red kimono’s turns around hastily. Her once neat hair had strands falling on her cheeks, her rouge cheeks had become brighter, but it was the expression on her face that made her unrecognizable. His mother, the once quiet and graceful woman, her face had twisted into one of suppressed anger.

Before he could say another word, she had violently clasped his arm and yanked him away. Her grip was tight, bruising his arm as he cried.

Until they had reached his inner palace and she had shut the door loudly did she release him.

“Okaasan-“

“What did I tell you about leaving your room?!” she screeched. Her eyes scanned his tiny body that had been scathe from falling during tag and the shabby dirt on his cheek when he fell asleep.

She grabbed him once more and opened the closet, stuffing him inside. She slammed the door tight, “Don’t ever come out! This is your punishment!” she locks the closet, leaning against it as Kenji cries louder.

He saw nothing, only darkness. “Okaasan, I’m sorry, please let me out.” He cried in fear as he tries to open the door. It was when he heard her weeping outside that he finally quiets down.

It was cold and scary inside the closet. He reached for whatever he could and a big cloak fell on him. It was warm, exceptionally warm. He felt safe. Soon, he drifted asleep again.

It was moments later when the closet slid open and his mother sat before him. He cautiously moves the robe covering him and kneels.

“I did wrong, please forgive me okaasan. I won’t do it again.” His small voice resounded with a stuffy nose.

The angry woman had calmed down but had her stone-faced staring at him. He kept his head low when bowing but soon felt his mother pull him into her chest along with the robe.

There, she sobbed and patted his head as she held him tightly in her arms, afraid and relieved. It was later that he found out why his mother had been so angry.

He was indeed a black sheep. His mother had run away from Yuan and he was being kept a hostage in the Japanese palace for the time being to test his usefulness. Soon, his mother had took him away from the imperial palace of Japan to her family who helped hide them in the commons where they reside for until her passing.

During that time, he had met his supposed ‘aunt’, a Yuan military officer who claims to know his father. He had wanted to believe in it and met her and his cousin secretly until his mother found out.

She gave him a toothy grin and politely bowed. “Greetings, brother Kenji.”

Kenji said nothing and looked at the aunt.

“Why are you here again?”

“I wanted to see you,” she answered and gestured toward her daughter, “and I wanted you two to meet.”

He had little interest but he did glance at Ji Hyo before turning back to her mother. “If you have nothing else to say, please leave. I’m not supposed to be here, if my mother finds out-“

“Kenji!” a woman screamed. Hurriedly, she pulls him behind her. Glaring at Ji Hyo’s mother, she tightens her grip on Kenji’s hand. She did not speak another word to them as she dragged Kenji away.

After that day, he never met the aunt again after his mother told him the truth about his father and the aunt.

“You shall become Emperor,” her soft voice declared in the night as she combed his hair. “You are of Yuan descent, an heir to the throne.” She hugged him, “You shall rule and avenge your father.”

He said nothing as he had accepted his fate. From that day on, he had worked hard to be the best intellectually and physically. He needed strength and connections, his mind rage with anger and bloodlust. He wanted to be a leader, a worthy son to both his mother and deceased father, a royal prince of Yuan.

After his mother’s death, his maternal family had helped him enter Goryeo under the pretense of an immigrant. There, he went to find her, the aunt. He was welcomed by her husband and daughter.

“Why did you have to die so soon?” he stares at the name plate, “You should have waited for me.” He muttered under his breath.

His greatest regret was not being able to kill her with his own hands.

Now that she was dead, he had to change his plans. He shall hurt her daughter, his cousin. As the saying goes, ‘a parent’s bad deed and karma descends to their children’, and he intends to do the same.

He intended to get revenge, but was not prepared for love. He fell in love with a woman, the daughter’s maid.

He remembers it clearly, the day he fell in love with her. Her smile was what caught his eye, her understanding. But he had no time for love, the deeper he fell he more guilt he had for his deceased parents. In the end, he left her to Yuan as a high official.

It was a day he may have regretted the most as she had become a part of him.

He had conjured a plan, one he calculated well. However, he never thought she would be a part of it. He didn’t know he would be the one to cause her demise. When he covered the poisoned handkerchief over as he caught her, he realized that it was her too late. She was poisoned.

It was only a little poison though, she wouldn’t die from it, he made sure. Or so he thought.

He was caught in chains when he heard of her death, not from anyone but from his enemy.

“Yeo Jin is dead.”

The smirk was quickly wiped from Kenji’s face, then he tries to grin. “You think I will fall for that?”

Jong Kook stepped closer, leaving their distance at an arm’s length. “Do I look like I’m lying?”

Kenji’s fake grin turned devious as his gaze darkens. He spits at Jong Kook, making Jong Kook turned his face away.

“They will come after you,”

Jong Kook turns back to face him and pulls Kenji’s dirty, bloody collar. “Are you sure it will be me they are after once they know your only burden is dead?”

“You!”

Jong Kook pushes him away and walks out of the torture room.

“I’m going to kill you! You’re dead Kim Jong Kook! Argh!” Kenji screams through the empty room that echoed through the halls.

He had stood before her grave, tears burned in his eyes. He had left her for 10 years, 10 damn years. It was the only day he had poured his heart’s sorrow out for her, the only person he had cared for.

He wanted nothing but to turn time back but it was too late. “Why did you die?” he whispers. “Didn’t we promised to marry?” his lips quiver as he cleans away the fallen leaves before punching the ground, causing his bloody knuckles.

Choi Yeo Jin.

*Flashback to Present*

 

Kenji inhaled the cold air once more, cooling down the boiling blood in his veins. He was ready to fight, ready to avenge. All of his enemies were in one place, Yuan imperial palace.

He looks out to the lit towns once more before raising his hand, giving the que to his followers. The horse trotted down the hill as he made his move.