Chapter 42

Day by Day

Jong Kook led Ji Hyo to the chamber, holding her hand.

“You shouldn’t hold a sword to the prince or anyone like that again, alright?”

Ji Hyo only looks down.

He touches her chin to face him.

“I’m not yelling at you. I’m only telling you.”

“I know,” her big puppy eyes stares at him. He lies on the bed as she watches him.

“You’re not going to sleep?” and he closed his eyes and crossed his arms.

She lies next to him and closed her eyes.

Sometime later into the night…

Ji Hyo opens her eyes and lazily turned her head to Jong Kook’s sleeping face. Turning her body, she folded her left hand under her head, supporting it.

Why..?

She looks at his face intently, reaching her hand out to touch his face. His tan cheek and facial stub that started to show on his face. Just as her finger tips touch his face, she stopped. The feeling of excruciating pain hit her chest.

Her vision blurred and her heart thumped like thunder, threatening to jump out of her chest. Reluctantly, she pulled her hand back and clumped it into a fist. Her blood zapped like lightning through her veins and her chest tighten.

She closed her eyes, holding back the tears in her watery eyes. But the pain became unbearable, as if it threatened to make her scream.

Without further due, Ji Hyo got up abruptly and ran out of the room. She stumbled to the door as her watery eyes blurred her vision, taking deep breaths, gasping for air.

She opened the door without caring, leaving it ajar, she was able to take a few steps away from the door before she collapsed on the ground, gasping for air. The tears flooded her eyes.

Luckily for her, there was no one there. Ji Hyo clutched to her chest, swallowing the cold air as her chest heaved up and down, closing eyes to calm down.

Was she having a panic attack? Why at this time?

It took her a moment of silence as the cricket chirped and the light torches glowed. Pulling herself together, she got up, although fragile, and made her way back inside.

She looked over him grimly, her eyes full of pain. Reluctantly, she lay next to him in the bed and turned to the outside of the bed as she covered herself with the covers. She felt his body turn and his arm wrapped around her waist, as if instinctively in his sleep.

She just closed her eyes and drifted away to sleep.

***

After gathering all their items, they were ready to depart from the palace. Ji Hyo and Jong Kook bowed before the King, thanking him for his hospitality and mercy.

They were ready to leave until Jong Kook stepped aside to speak with the King. Ji Hyo was on her way to the palanquin until she felt something amiss. Passing by the last hall before the carriage, someone from the shadows knocked out the maids attending Ji Hyo.

She stops and turns her head back, meeting the group of men in black. They made way and someone walked through. Her eyes keen, keeping contact.

***

Jong Kook retreats to the carriage and sees no one.

“Where is Lady Kim?”

“She departed first,” one guard answered.

He frowned at the reply. She would never leave without him. He eyes the hall in front of the suppose palanquin for him.

***

Ji Hyo stood face to face with the masked man. They were in the deep part of the palace, a bit farther from the gate of the palace. The man, 13th Prince Hanbin, smirked underneath the mask.

“I didn’t think it would be easy for you to agree to meet me here like this. If I knew, I wouldn’t even knock out those poor maids.”

Her gaze was indifferent.

He stepped closer, “You’ve become bolder. Quite the type I would like to be in my harem.” He stops and grinned, “Ai yah, I forgot, a graceful woman like you would not want to be a concubine. But what can I do,” he sarcastically sounded concern, “your husband has already added another woman into your house.”

Ji Hyo looks away, a bit shaken. He loved it, her priceless reaction. Before she had gotten married, he had tried to do anything to get her reaction but she remained emotionless towards him.

He walks closer and leans forward. “If you want, I can help you out, but in exchange-“

Ji Hyo looks up at him, her expression fixated on him. It’s his turn to fluster now. Her eyes were stone hard. He remembers it clearly, the very same look she gave him years ago.

“No need for any exchange. Whether what happens in my home is my own problem.”

He gave off a flustered chuckle, “Look here-“

“Even if I do, I wouldn’t ask for help from a nobody like you.”

His face twisted in anger.

“You are nothing, that’s why you hide under a mask and need others to do your work for you,” she nudge to the mask men behind him. “I hope you mind your own business from now on.” She turned around to leave.

His face twitch, “Don’t you… want to know who I am?”

Ji Hyo stops her steps.

“Don’t you want to know why I met you here under this circumstance?”

She gave him a cold glance. “No. You’re just the past, not worth mentioning. And if something did happen between us, it is not significant.”

“What do you mean it is not significant?” almost raising his voice, Hanbin’s face turned red.

“If we were a thing, I would have not gotten married. You are just an attention seeker. Why don’t you entertain your harem with that free time of yours?

With that, Ji Hyo walked away without glancing back as Hanbin shook in anger. He ripped off his mask and clutched it in his hand. “Fine, fine. I already gave you a chance.”

***

Ji Hyo reached the palanquin area and notices that Jong Kook’s palanquin has already disappeared. Keeping her posture, she enters her palanquin and left the palace. Jong Kook walks out from behind the walls and look at her leave. He knew she wouldn’t have left without him.

But seeing where she came from made his face turn sour as he headed on back to the Kim’s mansion with her.

*flashback*

Jong Kook had returned from war, age 21. He was looking forward to see hi savior again. Song Ji Hyo. He heard news about the 16 year old girl and rushed to meet her. However, what he saw made his hearty mood sour. She was in a young lad’s embrace.

The hairpin in his hand was clutched tightly until the marks engraved itself in his palm. He walks away and on his way out from the place, he heard whispers.

“The 13th prince there is about to get married. This way, the wedding might be sooner than thought to be.”

Jong Kook, enraged by this, kicked the table on his way out. She was going to marry the 13th prince? Who did he think he was? A 7 year old girl would not wait for an incompetent 12 year old from the past like him.

The thought of his naïve feelings sting as he made his way back to the Kim’s mansion. He left back for the camp as soon as he could the next day. He won’t ever return until he becomes an even more powerful person. Who needs women? He won’t let himself become foolish and have wishful thoughts anymore, Jong Kook swore to himself.

*flashback to present*

Jong Kook stops as he sees Ji Hyo’s palanquin enter the Kim’s mansion.

***

Ji Hyo steps out of the palanquin and is greeted by the maids. Just as she was about to retreat to her chambers, someone stepped into the courtyard.

A pretty woman, her hair tucked back in a bun, adorn with jewelry and a baby blue shirt, coral skirt along with a magenta bow.

The woman bow before her, “Welcome back, my lady.”

Ji Hyo frowns at the woman.

She smiles gracefully at Ji Hyo. “Do you not remember me, my lady? I am Ara, Go Ara.”

**********************************************************************