Chapter 58A

Day by Day

The splash of water row gently next to the boat. Sitting by the side though seemingly peaceful, her eyes wander into the seamless window.

It has been 2 days on boat.

The boats hits the dock gently and the drapes open, she turned her head slightly with the cloth covered hat over her face.

“The quickest route will be a two day horse riding trip.”

She nods and steps out of the boat as they took the horses.

Unlike Goryeo, Yuan had a distinctive way of living. It was beautiful as the trees had luscious colors of green and yellow. Even in on the docking boards and local towns, she had been able to see the children walk in a uniform manner, poor or wealthy.

As night came and another day arises, she found herself to be amaze more and more. The closer they got to the capital palace, the grander each site and citizens were. It was unbelievable.

While they reach a stop in the town next to the capital, Ji Hyo sits by the table, eating the food she was given. Her eyes wander about the children there, each of their faces engraved in their mind.

A group of young ladies walked the street together, hand in hand.

 “Miss, you can’t do that,” the maid protest as her young miss ignored her and bought the new shoes. “My lady-“

The young miss became grumpy. “You are a women too, are you not?” She handed the shoes to the maid. “Try them on.”

The maid became teary, “I will not forget your kindness, my young miss.”

“Of course not, when I marry, you will accompany me to my husband’s home.”

“Huh?”

“Are you going to let the others bully me?” the young miss scowl, making the maid giggle and agree endlessly.

Ji Hyo sighed and stopped eating, thinking carefully.

“What are you thinking?” Bolin appeared before her.

Though the thin fabric cover her face with the hat, her eyes lit up as she looks toward another direction. “You said there was a temple right?”

Bolin looks towards the same direction, the East Huang Temple. “What’s the matter?”

“I want to pray.”

Ji Hyo turns back to him.

“Let’s leave tomorrow. The Capital is only one city away, the longest it will take is a half-day.”

Bolin sighed before chuckling to himself and shook his head. “You do know that we have gone beyond the date promised-“

“Then tonight.” She stood up, “Only until tonight, we can as soon as possible.”

Bolin look around and smiled. “As you wish.” And turn around.

*

The East Huang Bell rung thrice, the mantra of buddha echoes through the temple. After the third kowtow, she sat on her knees, her hands still bowing with the incense sticks burning.

“May the heavens and gods, mother, please protect my dear husband Kim Jong Kook.”

Ji Hyo places the incense sticks in front of the golden holy buddha statue before bowing thrice again.

Her chest felt lighter but she grabs another batch of incense sticks and repeated the same procedure.

“Fate took you before I could repay you. In your next life, please become my child.” She gulps, “Be born from me, be my most treasured.”

Choi Yeo Jin.

Tears burn in her eyes as she finishes kowtowing.

Bolin look at the sky as it had turn dark.

“Let’s go,” her voice arises from behind.

***

The sound of sharp whips echoed, the smell of blood lingers and tickle the noses of those who watched. Yoo closed his eyes as each whip graze his back until the last lash said.

“Untie him,” Jong Kook ordered. Yoo drops to the ground on his knees as blood cover his whole back.

The soldier beside Jong Kook, Ha Dong Hoon couldn’t bear to see the sight and turned away. How could the General be so cruel to his own Lieutenant?

“354 Ha,”

Dong Hoo jumped and turns around quickly. “Y-yes, sir!”

Jong Kook’s eyes narrow dangerously, making goosebumps run over his body.

“Take Lieutenant Yoo away. Keep an earnest eye on him or else-“

“Y-Yes General!” Dong Hoon panic and nervously move towards the bloodied Yoo.

 

~Arriving in the tent

Yoo is set on the mattress with Dong Hoon barely able to watch the nurse apply medication on his back.

“Soldier 354 Ha,”

Dong Hoon jumps, turning around but turning back again as he sees the scabs of blood. “W-What is it… Lieutenant?”

With his eyes still closed, “Would you like to know the feeling of 30 horsewhips?” Opening his eyes now, “If job is to watch me, not look around.”

Dong Hoon scowl and takes the medication from the nurse. “Hmph, then why didn’t you listen to wat you were told?” he mutter under his breath.

“I know,” Yoo answered, “but I had no choice.” He closed his eyes again. “As the lieutenant of the military, I have to protect the General.”

Dong Hoon lightly but squints his eyes as he applies the medication. “The General’s word is life and death, who told you to seek death.”

Yoo turns the other way, making Dong Hoon jump back, afraid the blood will get on him.

 

*Flashback*

General Kim charge into the heart of the enemy. Fighting through the cold weather and uprising hill, his soldiers were wounded badly but continue to strive forth.

When it seems like victory was close, just as he was about to grab the enemy’s fort flag, he jumps back at the Head Chief who charged at him.

As they fought back and forth, he plunge is sword into the air, hitting the other metal.

A figure suddenly intervene, barely able to dodge his sword out of the way, he growled angrily.

In front of him, a fresh soldier fought off the head chief, marking their victory. Yoo turns around and hands the flag to Jong Kook who glares at him.

*Campsite*

“Lieutenant Yoo, 10 horsewhips for disorderly conduct of military order, disobedience, and endangerment.”

“Hyung,” Yoo calls behind him.

“Any objections will be given another 10 horsewhips.” Jong Kook’s voice storm as he continues walking away.

“General, my actions are justifiable-“

“Silence!” Jong Kook roars, turning back as his eyes glare darkly into Yoo’s. “Do I need to write a detail report about your wrongdoings?”

“I only did my duty, General. But I cannpt admit I was wrong for wanting to provide my own strength.”

Jong Kook’s dark face flared up, with each step, his voice becomes louder and clearer.

“Number one, disobedience of General order. Number two, misconduct of military measures by leaving the troops unsecure in the camp site. Number three, endangerment of oneself and other’s lives while in action of presence. Do I need to tell you once again, Lieutenant Gong?!

Silence, only silence now.

“We are in the orderly military, not some playground anyone can enter and leave without consequences. I have yet to punish you for leaving your post, prebattle. You have already refuse to take my order as to stay in the back lines of defense in case of military invasions. Do you know that your action is worthy of death?!”

“Then punish me the correct way, General.”

Jong Kook stood face to face with him, his eyes flicker coldly as the cold wind brush between them.

“You think I can’t do it?” his voice husky and brisk. “Even Ancestral Marshall Ye beheaded his own brother for interfering with military conduct. I am not following that tradition, why? Because the better for my people are higher than punishing someone who has already been known as the crisis of this war against the Mongols.”

Jong Kook calmed down and composed himself once again as Yoo had looked down.

“Is there any objections?”

Yoo shook his head, “No, General.”

“Another 10 horsewhips.” Jong Kook turns around to watch as Yoo is tied to the military post on the stage.

*End of Flashbacks*

Dong Hoon sighs.

“General only wanted the best for everyone.”

Yoo said nothing and slept as Dong Hoon had to watch over him the whole night.

***

 

~Capital of Yuan

With the appearance of the golden badge, the gates of the capital open for the Crown Prince and his people. Upon arriving, the capital crowded with luxury and sounds, citizens of lavish wealth, and discipline.

“Are you ready?” Bolin turns to her.

Ji Hyo takes a look at the gate to the entrance of the palace. It was sudden, too sudden.

A place she had never been to. A family she has never met.

 

“My daughter is a strong and capable woman.”

 

Her father’s words renounced in her heart. Gathering her last strength, she stood courageously and nodded. With each step, she took the weight on her feet grew lighter up to the moment she stood before the golden imperial doors.

 

“Crown Prince Bolin has arrived!”

**************************************************************************