Chapter 32

Day by Day

I must warn you that this is a veryyyyyyyyyy loooooonnng chapter

Please forgive me if you start to drool and yawn.

You were warned. Enjoy

***********************************************************************

 

Jong Kook finished dressing his companion’s wound.

“General, it’s good that you didn’t get hurt, you would have been injured greatly.” The soldier groaned as Jong Kook finished dressing him.

Jong Kook pats his back. “That’s why you have to be careful when sparring with others. Didn’t I tell you to always stay on guard, a new soldier can be careless when they think you can block all their moves no matter how they attack.”

The soldier nodded. “Yes, Sire.”

“Go on, take care of yourself.”

“Thank you, Sire,” he bowed and left the office.

Jong Kook stood up and turned around to change his sparring uniform. It’s been a while since he had sparred in the training camp.

“General, Minister Song is here to see you.”

Jong Kook stopped in mid-step as he finished putting on his robe. Minister Song? Ji Hyo’s father?

“Let him in,” Jong Kook answered.

The drapes open and Minister Song walked in.

“Father-in-law,” Jong Kook bowed.

“I heard the assassin escaped.”

Jong Kook nodded. He looked behind his father-in-law but no one else came in sight.

“Are you looking for Ji Hyo?” his father-in-law asked.

Jong Kook quickly straighten his posture but he was aware of the situation now. “Father-in-law-“

“Don’t worry, I gathered more soldiers there to protect there.”

“That means…?”

Minster Song nodded. “The assassin is Kenji Wu, Ji Hyo’s cousin from Yuan.”

Jong Kook felt his eyes twitch. Her cousin?

Her father sat down as Jong Kook joined him.

“Son-in-law,” her father stared at him, “what I’m about to tell you is really important. Only the King, emperor, and I know about this.”

“Ji Hyo’s mother was not just a female military officer. She was the Emperor’s cousin.”

Jong Kook sat alert.

Her father nodded. “She’s a princess of Yuan. Ji Hua, Ji Hyo’s mother wasn’t supposed to marry me. A princess can only marry to a general, prince, or the King at the time. However, I was only a mid-rank judge in the imperial court.

Anyone could call us crazy but we did many things to be together, except for the fact that I didn’t know that she was a princess but as a military officer carrying out her duties. She gave up her princess title and fought many battles for the Emperor in order to gain his favor and requested marriage with me. I became a high ranking judge to be worthy to marry her as she grew in ranks.

No one knows about this ”

“Then why are you telling me?”

Their eyes met as her father observed him. “Because you are my daughter’s husband.”

Jong Kook’s body stiffen.

Her father sighs and took a deep breath. “I chose the marriage between you and Ji Hyo because you were a general. If not, my daughter would have already been married to the King or crown prince.”

“Why me?” Jong Kook felt a rush in his veins. “Why a general and not the palace? Father-in-law, if you had chosen marriage of the imperial family, Ji Hyo would be in a safer place than with me.”

“And what?” her father eyed him. “Let my daughter fight amongst the concubines and imperial palace politics? Or let her be confine for life?” he shook his head. “You and I know that the palace is no good place to be. You saw that for yourself when Mayor Gong’s daughter was sent to the Mongolian Imperial family.”

Jong Kook nodded but he knew deep in his heart. Her father intended for her to be protected and loved by only one man and married faithfully. However, it was not done.

Ara is there, that makes Jong Kook concerned.

He outline his thoughts before speaking. “Father-in-law, I believe you know why Kenji wants to assassinate us all?”

Her father sat for a while before answering. “That, I don’t know.

All I know is that Kenji’s father was also a cousin of the Emperor but he was executed after rebelling against the Emperor’s reign in Yuan. He and his mother fled to Japan, to her maternal family.”

Her father sighed again. “I suspect it is because he is a descendant of a prince, he is also a prince.”

He turned to look at his son-in-law. “In that case, he will kill all descendants to the Yuan Imperial family, cause conflict within the allies, and overthrow the Emperor before making himself emperor to wage war against all allies.”

Jong Kook clutched onto his knee. “If that does happen, then it will be a great chaos.”

They both nodded.

“That’s why, I want you to help Ji Hyo remember everything. If she were to not know anything, it will be even more dangerous.”

Jong Kook flinch at the thought of it.

***

Night had come, crickets chirping through the woods. Exhausted, Ji Hyo dragged her feet, her hands clutching tight onto the strap of the bag tied across her chest.

Yoo’s face stayed stone and grey when he kept replaying the events. He lost the pendent. A little regret overcame him but Ji Hyo’s whimper made him turn back to her.

Ji Hyo limped as she bit her lip. He sees the sole of her feet limping and her face losing color. He stops and turns back to her.

“Let’s rest for a bit. We had been traveling all day.”

Ji Hyo thought for a bit before nodding her head.

They sat by the side of the road and rest while Yoo built a fire for them as the night grew colder.

Ji Hyo sat down and touched her foot, taking off the green silk bag beside her. Yoo turned to her with his bottle of water and sat beside her while the fire crackled.

He reached for her feet, making her startled. He looks back up at her.

“Can I see your feet?” with the tenderness in his voice, he asked her. Ji Hyo could feel the hair on her back rise.

With her blank expression, he took off her shoe, which revealed the white socks on her feet then the tint of blood on her toes. He look back at her.

“What a lady.” He chuckled.

Ji Hyo try to pull her feet back but he held it still.

“Tch~ We have to clean your feet, or do you not want to walk anymore?”

Obediently, Ji Hyo let him wash her feet and bandage her foot with his own sock.

“But your sock-“

“It doesn’t stink, I swear,” he answered.

“Tch~” Ji Hyo stop as he finish putting the sock on her feet.

“But your feet… stinks,” he waved his hand and plug his nose as he moved away from her feet. Ji Hyo, anger elevated, quickly moves to kick him but he dodged it.

“I’m just joking, friend.”

She sat back down and Yoo gets up to the road, checking for any passengers. She poked the fire with a branch and looks at the sky. No moons tonight, only a hint of it. She stayed close to the fire as she shivered with the little breeze. Her eyes grew hard and tired, closing as she was dozing off, leaning on nothing. Her head moved around, her body flailing.

Yoo came back to her with nothing. He sees her drowsing away, falling asleep. A smile brushed passed his lips but he notice her flailing back. He ran to her and caught her just in time.

Ji Hyo wakes up instantly as she felt her body hit something. Her eyes flew open and the first thing she saw was Yoo’s face. Their faces close together as the fire glowed on a side of his face and dark on another.

He gulps and pushes her back up before distancing himself. “You were falling asleep like a pig, falling backwards. I didn’t want you to get hurt, that’s all.”

Ji Hyo composed herself and said a meek, “Thank you.”

Silence crawled over them as he sat further from her. “There are no passengers. But we can wait it out.”

Ji Hyo looked around. “And if not?”

“Then we sleep here tonight until morning.”

Her eyes widen and looks at him.

“What?” he raised his brows as she scurried further from him, covering herself. He chuckled, “I won’t do anything to you.”

Ji Hyo eyes him with a glare.

“Hey, you’re not even my type.” But she only glared at him. “Go to sleep.” he turned around and lied on the ground without her answering. He peeks back and sees her still glaring at him. “Fine.” He gets up and sleeps further.

Only then, she stopped eying him and scoots further to a tree and leaned on it. She then slowly draws herself to sleep, but stops as she felt a something cover her. She opens her eyes to see Yoo’s figure walk away further from her back to his sleeping spot, but closer to the fire.

Her heart drops as she knew this familiar feeling all too well. Feeling safe and warm.

Exactly the way she feels toward Jong Kook. Her suspicions grew as guilt sank in her chest. It can’t be true… can it?

***

Jong Kook walked on the dark road to the house in the woods where Ara resides in. He heard that Ara was still sick. He opens the gate as the guards greeted him. He enters the hall as his feet grew heavy.

There are many things he wants to tell Ara but he couldn’t find the urge to walk in, like he couldn’t face her.

Before he knocks on the door, the door slide open and a maid greets him. He enters and sees Ara in bed with a towel on her forehead. He sat by her side, touching the warm towel. He changed the towel in the cold basin to cool down her fever.

Her pale face and dried lips made him worried but it was only concern now. He turned to get the bag he brought.

“Oppa?” a thin voice called. He turns back and sees Ara awake. She tries to get up but he stops her.

“Lie down, I’ll get you some water.”

“It’s alright,” she holds his hand. She could feel his body stiff with her touch. She frowns. “My husband, you must be tired, I am sorry I can’t heed to you.”

He stops her from bowing. “Your health is more important.”

She smiles and he smiles back. Ara was a good woman to him. Jong Kook couldn’t just break the news to her.

“I-“

“Yes, husband?” she looked at him innocently.

No, I should wait until she gets better, he thought.

Ara looks at him with anticipation but he just shook his head.

“Nothing. Have you eaten yet? I brought some porridge for you, you favorites.”

She smiled delightfully, “No one will treat me better than you, oppa.”

He hesitates at the mention of her words before opening the bag he brought and took out the food.

He got the spoon and tray but stops as he was about to spoon feed her. She waited but he couldn’t bring himself to do it as he sees a sad Ji Hyo stand by the door. He blinks his eyes and she disappeared. He turns back to Ara and stuttered, “I-I’ll get you a bowl.”

He gets up and opens the door and closed it as Ara sat alone in her room. She looks at the empty door and back at the tray packed with porridge and meat and a spoon.

“T-thank you…” she whispered and take the spoonful of porridge and bring it to her lips. But her lips quiver as her eyes tremble with tears. She opens , taking a spoonful of the porridge. Her eyes glisten with tears as she felt her body trembling.

“I told you, did I not?” A voice said behind her. Kenji comes out of the shadow. He looks at the door. “There is a tray here, why would he need a bowl?”

Ara stayed quiet as she slowly ate the food.

“Join me anytime, I’ll make him yours only.” He turns to leave.

“How?” she asked, making him stop. He turns back to her. She puts the bowl and spoon down and looks at him, her eyes vengeful. “How will you make him mine only?”

A dark grin swiped over his face as Ara looks at him with her pink eyes.

***

Jong Kook sits outside as he takes a deep breath. He sees a sad Ji Hyo stand in front of him. She had been appearing in front of him so often that he can’t tell which is real and which is not. But seeing her sad makes his heart hurt.

Why hasn’t he notice it before?

The Ji Hyo in front of him disappeared as he blinks and closed his eyes. He rubs his face with his hand, conflicted.

A maid comes by, “Sire.”

He hands her a bowl, “Bring this to the lady, has there been anything going on here lately?”

The maid answered, “The young lady hasn’t been able to eat or sleep, that’s how she got sick.”

“Report anything unusual to me, understand?”

“Yes, sire,”

“I’ll come visit the lady to tomorrow, take care of her.” then he left the place.

Ji Hyo is a princess… Jong Kook keeps thinking to himself. A princess and a general, what a perfect couple.

As soon as he reached the Kim’s mansion, he called for the messenger.

“Has Lady Kim received my letter yet?”

The messenger cowered in silence. Jong Kook turns to him, “Answer me.”

“S-Sire, Lady Kim… she-“

“She what?!”

“Lady Kim is not at the Song’s mansion.” the messenger bowed immediately.

“What did you say?!” Jong Kook shouted as the messenger begged for mercy. Jong Kook stormed out of the mansion, ordering for guards to search for Ji Hyo.

***

Ji Hyo felt Yoo nudged her awake and she opened her eyes to look at him.

Her eyes widen as she got up immediately. “How did you? How?”

Yoo patted the horse as he held onto the reins. “That’s why you should wake up early.” He took the horse back out to the road. Ji Hyo quickly ran behind him with her green bag while holding the robe around her. He looks at her and nudged her towards the horse.

She climbed the horse and waits for him but instead of getting on the horse, he guides her way by walking ahead with the reins.

Confused she was about to speak up.

“Don’t ask me anything,” he said before her. “There is a lot of fog, we can’t just wander aimlessly on the road. I’ll get on the horse when the fog clears.”

She watched him lead the way as her crack in her heart crept and flicker. A thin smile crawled over her lips. He guided them through the fog until it dispersed. He got on the horse and distance their bodies as her back stayed between them.

There, they continue their route to Anyang.

***

Jong Kook restlessly ran everywhere and ordered security around the capital and Pohang. The sun had risen and before he knew it was already noon. His scruffy hair ruffled and his eyes were tired but he was wide awake. Everyone was exhausted but the search continued.

“Sire!” a guard yell through the gates. Jong Kook turned around and ran to the man as he bowed to Jong Kook.

“Did you find her?”

“Reporting Sire. Someone from the outskirts of Anyang said they saw someone similar to Lady Kim and Lieutenant Yoo.”

Jong Kook clench his fist and went on his way immediately to find her.

He rode his horse and passed the gates of the town to the outskirts of Anyang. Just as he passes the outskirts to the place Ara resides in, he heard a scream. He turns and sees a guard being stabbed by the gate by men in black clothing. He jumped off his horse as the black men saw him and darted towards him.

He fought with them, knocking them out. He ran inside the house to find the maids dead and a trail of blood in the hallway, leading to Ara’s room. Jong Kook grasped his sword as he follows the trail and kicked the door open to see Kenji, in black clothing, pulling Ara out the window with him as she scream. Jong Kook jumps out the window after them.

Kenji stops as he holds Ara hostage as he puts the sword by .

Ara struggled as Jong Kook sees blood trickled down her neck as the sword had slightly touched her neck.

“Hello, General.” Kenji smiled deviously. “You didn’t expect that we would meet like this huh? I didn’t either.”

“Let her go,” Jong Kook demanded, “And I’ll let you live.”

Instead, Kenji chuckled, “You? Let me live? You should be begging me to let her live.”

Jong Kook only glared at him.

“Why? Or are you actually hoping she would die so you can live happily with your real wife?”

 

(Listen to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0su9gjEnBwM

J2 Feat. Cameron The Public – Man In The Mirror )

 

Jong Koo’s face scowl into a malicious look.

Kenji let the edge of the blade graze against Ara’s skin as he choked her. She struggled to breathe while Jong Kook look on.

*Flashback*

Jong Kook was about to stab the enemies but Chief Go came from behind, pushing Jong Kook put of the way as two swords pierced him. Jong Kook ran to the enemies, killing them, beheading the enemy general. He then ran to the Chief.

The chief held his hand as his blood got on Jong Kook’s clothes.

“Protect my children… General…” the old man’s dying wish. “Take care of them for me… for this father had not been able to…”

Jong Kook looks at the dying man as he begged for assurance. He looks over his shoulder and sees a hurt Ara with her siblings. He turns back to the chief.

“Please… I beg you…”

He was a man of honor. This man here had helped his troop, thus leading his people to danger.

Jong Kook finally nodded. “I will. I promise you… Chief Go.”

The old man finally smiled and closed his eyes. He closed his eyes as the smoke from the fire surrounded them. He walked to them and looks down at Ara and her siblings.

“We are leaving together,” he tells them.

However on the way out of the village, Ara’s siblings were killed with a few separating from each other, running for survival. Only Ara was able to escape with Jong Kook’s troop.

He remembers seeing her cry for days as she tried to search for her family members and her mother. She was now an orphan.

One night, he sat by her as they were on their way to his mansion.

“In the battlefield, there is only winning or losing. You are a survival of warfare, consider yourself lucky to still be alive.” He was about to walk away as Ara stands up, looking his way in her plain clothes.

“This world is not about winning or losing. Have you even look in the mirror and consider who you are compare to an ordinary person?”

He stops but did not turn to look at her. “I did before. I knew someone who was selfless and decided to lose rather than win but in the end all that was left was his head and regret.” Then he walked away.

*Flashback to present*

Jong Kook stares at them then turns around. Ara’s eyes widen and her eyes begin to blur, gleaming with tears.

Was he going to leave her? Even Kenji couldn’t almost believe it.

As his guard was down, Jong Kook quickly turned around and threw a knife at Kenji. Kenji falters and loosens his grip around Ara as he blocks the knife. Ara quickly takes off her hairpin and stabs Kenji’s arm. He hissed and pushed her towards Jong Kook, making his escape.

Ara is pushed into Jong Kook’s arm as he, out of reflex, catches her. She sighs in relief and holds onto him tightly.

Nope, he didn’t abandon her. He wouldn’t let anyone harm her. Ara told herself over and over again. Once again, she washed away all the thoughts she had about him towards Ji Hyo.

Jong Kook, on the other hand, stood agape with his arms catching Ara and her arms tightly around his waist. Then he remembers Ji Hyo. The way how Ji Hyo held him in the town market, how she looked at him.

There, at the end of the gate to the road he sees her.

Her furrowed brows, her grimace eyes staring straight at him with her blank face. Then he sees a tear fall right out the corner of her eyes.

She’s just an illusion. That’s not Ji Hyo. I’m just overthinking.

Jong Kook closed his eyes to think carefully. He had been seeing Ji Hyo around so many times now. That was not Ji Hyo, it was only his mind playing with him.

He opens his eyes and she disappears. But there, he felt a pain in his chest. Suddenly, he felt unease. He holds Ara’s shoulders.

“Ara,”

She looks up at him with a thin, delighted smile.

“I’m… I know this is not the right time to say this but…”

Her eyes searched his as he looks on the ground.

“I’m sorry that you were endanger because of me. I am sorry I made you my wife.”

Fear started to crawl over her skin. “Oppa, don’t say anymore, it’s not your fault.”

He shook his head. “It is my fault. I’ve been thinking to myself for so long but I don’t think its what I thought it was. Ara-”

Ara stares at him with her eyes growing pink again. “Don’t.” She quickly interrupts him. “Don’t say that oppa. After all, we are husband and wife. All I ask is to be by your side and for you to acknowledge me as your wife. You’ve done more than enough. Just please don’t say that.”

“Ara, please listen to me-“

“I don’t want to.” she pulls away. “I promise I will do better, I will let Ji Hyo be the official wife and not bother her or your mother at all. Please,”

She pitifully and desperately looks at him, “Don’t throw me away.”

He only looks at her in compassion, his mind messed up. Was it really love or not? Who was to say it was or was not? He can’t even trust his heart anymore.

True, it was alright to have more than one wife in this day, but he vowed never to be one of those men. But here he is, not even able to break it off or reveal the truth of his hidden feelings and doubts.

***

Ji Hyo walks lifelessly down the road as she holds onto the green bag and her clothes changed into a hanbok. They had passed the outskirts of Anyang and entered the city. Just before they reached the Kim’s mansion, Yoo turns to her.

“Go in.”

She looks at the door then at him.

“What about you?”

On his face was a serious look. “I’m going too. Far away.”

“Running away?” she asked as she looks at him. She had handed him his robe back.

He gulps before answering, “Yes. Running to face my reality.”

Ji Hyo lets out a smile. “That’s good. I’ll see you around.” She bows her head lightly and turned to the gates of the mansion. As her feet moves towards the door-

“Take care,” his deep voice calls after her. She turns to him and smiles back. He then turns around and walks away with his horse. She watches him walk away before turning around.

Clang!

A sound in her head ring. Images flash in her very eyes.

A man hugs her close in his arms in a cave with a small fire. She felt warm against his chest. Their skin touched as warmth spread across her cold body. Then she lays on the ground in the man’s arm. She couldn’t see his face as the image was hazy.

Ji Hyo turned her head and sees Yoo’s figure walks further from her.

The image collides with a man walking away from her, as if in shining armor.

Her eyes widen and confusion spreads over her face. She turns around and starts walking and then running. She ran and ran, closer to him right until she could grab his arm.

Yoo turns around and looks at her in surprise. He didn’t expect her to follow him. Bu the look on her face tells him something was up.

“What is it?” he asks.

She stares into his eyes as she keeps looking at him.

He pulled her around and they rolled down the hill. He ended on top of her as the grass covered them. Yoo turns his attention back to Ji Hyo and tightens his grip. Ji Hyo raises her other hand to push his hand away, instead he grabs both of her wrists now, pulling her against him.

Ji Hyo looks up at him, her eyes widen as his glued on hers. He smiled.

“Do you think that I will let you escape this time?” He breaks into a smile. “I’m not going to let you go.”

“Nonsense,” flustered Ji Hyo tries to release her hand. Yoo just raised his brows and inched his face towards Ji Hyo.

Their faces were so close, Ji Hyo could feel his hot breath on her face now.

“It’s not nonsense.” He stares at her, not blinking. “I mean it.”

Ji Hyo continues to stare at him as her hand still stays on his arm. Yoo tries to move his hand back but she clutches tightly onto him, surprising him.

Noticing that her face has become pale, he worriedly glances at her. “Are you alright?”

“Geurae (Alright).” She whispers. “Let’s trust my instincts.”

“Huh?”

Before he could react Ji Hyo wraps her arms around him, hugging his waist. Her head leaned on his chest as she listen to his heartbeat. He just stood still and let her hug him, as if he lost all strength.

Ji Hyo closed her eyes as she felt it. She stood back and locks eyes with him. Then her eyes glimmer as the sunlight reflect in her eyes.

“I was mistaken.”

He confusedly stares at her actions and words. She bowed her head and hurried away back to the Kim’s mansion as he watched her run back.

Again, he’s watching her walk away and this time, he did not go after her but stood there, watching her disappear behind the gates.

***

(listen to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbV33RmB3-o&spfreload=10 )

Moments ago….~

Jong Kook, on the other hand, stood agape with his arms catching Ara and her arms tightly around his waist. Then he remembers Ji Hyo. The way how Ji Hyo held him in the town market, how she looked at him.

There, at the end of the gate to the road he sees her.

Her furrowed brows, her grimace eyes staring straight at him with her blank face. Then he sees a tear fall right out the corner of her eyes.

Jong Kook closed his eyes.

Ji Hyo continues to look at them and before she knew it, a tear rolled down the corner of her eyes. Her heartache, her breath stop, and she felt an excruciating strike of loneliness, anger, and betrayal.

She moved her feet and walked away as she could not bear to look at them embracing each other any longer.

Her feet dragged and as she touches the tears that wet her cheek, more tears starts to pour down. She couldn’t help it but cough out a low cry. She tries to calm down but the more she tries to suppress it, the more it hurts and her heart suffocated.

Ji Hyo squatted down and started crying endlessly.

By the end of the road, Yoo stops as he sees her crying. He couldn’t help it but want to step forward but he stops and walks back to the front of the road and waited for her. He didn’t want to turn back, if he did, all that he has done would have gone to waste.

Ji Hyo covered and hushed down her cries.

When she was able to calm down herself, she walked down the path and sees Yoo waiting for her with the horse. She hurriedly walks to him and thinly fakes a smile.

“Let’s go.”

He nodded and they continue walking to the Kim’s mansion.

****************************************************************************

I told you so ><

Comments and opinions are welcomed