Chapter 20

Day by Day

Jong Kook sits beside Ji Hyo as she still lay unconscious.

He sees the scratches on her face then the bandage on her neck from the sword earlier.

If only I had helped you sooner.

He guiltily looks over her, then raises his hand to her. He stops as he was about to touch her hand.

After thinking for a while, he finally holds her hand. Her hand was scratched but soft enough.

From the outside was Yoo. He had sent the men and woman to the capital prison earlier.

He had just come back to help guard the Kim Mansion. He was passing through the hall as he sees a hint of Jong Kook sitting inside.

He got up and left the room just to meet Yoo outside. The two of them glance at each other, assuring one another.

“Are you guarding her tonight?” Jong Kook asked.

“No, sire.”

Jong Kook wasn’t sure what to say. He was thankful for Yoo’s help earlier, saving Ji Hyo from the assassin and carrying her from the bottom of the hill. But an ignition of jealousy torched him.

“Thank you for earlier.”

“It is my duty,” Yoo answered.

Jong Kook wasn’t sure if he should leave to check on Ara and leave Ji Hyo’s safety to Yoo.

“I’ll check on Miss Go. Stay here with Lady Kim.” Yoo interrupted his thoughts. “Your ‘wife’ needs you the most right now. I believe Ara will understand.”

Jong Kook nodded lightly as Yoo left heavy heartedly.

He turns back to the room and sits back down beside Ji Hyo.

She was sleeping peacefully. But that was what made him more worried. What if she doesn’t wake up anymore? What if she is hurt badly internally?

Jong Kook grasp onto her hand tighter.

“Wake up. You have to wake up Ji Hyo,” he whispered as he raised her hand to his chin.

He doesn’t know what this feeling was, a desperate part of him wants to cry with guilt, but the other hopes for her safety.

Yoo, on the other hand, checked on Ara. She sat in the room alone, waiting for Jong Kook but instead, as she opened the door it was Yoo.

“Where is Jong Kook oppa?” she asked.

“General Kim is staying with Lady Kim tonight, please rest assured.”

Ara was disappointed but tried to smile. “Is Lady Kim any better?”

“The doctor said to wait until she wakes up.”

Ara fidgeted with her fingers, “What do we do? What if Minister Song blames Jong Kook oppa?”

Yoo sighed. “Everything will be alright, we can only wish for the best.”

Ara nodded. “But are you alright Lieutenant Yoo?” She sees a part of his arm clutch was stain with blood.

“I’m fine, Miss Go. Please go back inside. I will be guarding your place tonight.” He turned around to the front of the hall.

He turned back to her. “Do you both truly love each other?”

Ara looked confused. “What are you saying Lieutenant? Of course we do.”

“If it’s true, then why did you have to drag an innocent person into your mess?”

Ara flinched. “Yoo,”

“I understand that you two may love each other but please. Spare Lady Kim of any distress for now. Because she is the one in more dilemma than you both.” Then he turned to guard, leaving Ara speechless.

***

The next morning, Jong Kook wakes up as he sat by the bed, drowsily opening his eyes.

Noticing that the bed was empty, he sat up abruptly. He looked around the room and hurried out.

He bumped into a maid.

“Have you seen Lady Kim?”

The maid shook her head. He rushed around the villa. He asked another maid but she also admits to not seeing her.

“Go look for her now!”

The servants start searching the whole mansion for her.

Yoo passed by and heard the servants searching for missing Ji Hyo. He hurriedly searched with them. The quiet mansion soon became chaotic.

They searched every corner of the quarters but she was nowhere in sight.

Yoo almost ran passed the bathing room as he heard bubbles splashing. He enters the room without hesitating. The steam was still hot as the room was cloudy. He passes through the silks that draped around the room.

“Ji Hyo-ah!” he calls for her since she had disappeared. He opens the last drape and sees a bath tub.

-Splash!

Yoo jumps back as he sees the back of a woman, so familiar. The woman turns around as he recognized who it was.

Ji Hyo turned around and sees Yoo freezing upon their encounter. His eyes widen to see Ji Hyo in there, fully cloth in her white dress. He almost stutters her name when she-

“AH!” She screamed then threw things at him, splashing water at him and yelling for help.

Yoo turned around immediately, closing the drape. His face reddens, flustered.

Ji Hyo continue throwing wooden bowls, anything she could find at Yoo’s back.

The basket hits Yoo’s back as he finally realizes that he shouldn’t be here. But why was Ji Hyo when everyone was searching for her?

He turns back around, not trying to glimpse at her. “Lady Kim-“

Another basket was thrown at him while Ji Hyo continue screaming.

“Wait- I-“

A shoe hit Yoo, making him slip on the wet cloth on the floor.

Jong Kook runs in as he heard water splashing and screaming as he passed by. He runs through the silk drapes, not wary of the situation, only seeing someone on the ground groaning.

“Yoo?” he was confused as he finally sees Ji Hyo in the tub. He steps inside, when he saw her still dressed fully. Ji Hyo couldn’t find anything to throw anymore, only did she move her body under the water, leaving only her head out. She curled up as Jong Kook nears her.

“Ji Hyo,” he calls her. They stare at each other, he reaches to help her out but she backs up until her body hit the end of the tub.

He leans forward but she looked at him strangely. He notices something was off about her.

He raised his hand closer, “It’s okay, don’t be- AH!”

Ji Hyo grabs his hand, biting it with all her might before pushing him back. Jong Kook turns back as his hand was bleeding with her teeth marks. She climbed out of the tub as her soak clothes made it heavy and difficult to run.

Yoo was still lying on the ground as he covered his nose. He finally moved his hand to see blood. He was having a nose bleed.

He sits up to see Ji Hyo trying to leave but he grabs her hand. Afraid, Ji Hyo grabs his hair, making him groan in pain.

She pulled away just in time as Jong Kook gets up to run after her.

Yoo gets up and runs after her this time, faster than Jong Kook. Ji Hyo runs through the door, almost tripping as she holds onto the skirt. She was drenched from head to toe and little residue of petals stick on her clothes.

She didn’t know which way to run and quickly ran through the middle as water trail after her. Yoo comes out and sees her run away, he sprints after her with Jong Kook following behind.

Ji Hyo suddenly turned at the corner, hearing Jong Kook yell for guards to block all entrances.

Yoo turned the corner, splitting from the trail while Jong Kook did the same except he went in the opposite way.

Ji Hyo bumps into Jong Kook as he catches her through the shortcut. He grabs her as they roll on the ground, tumbling around.

“Song Ji Hyo!” he calls her but she profusely fought against him, hitting his face, doing anything to get out of his grasp. She managed to bite his chest as he pulls her near, making him loosen her immediately.

She grabs his hair and pushes him away, getting up wearily. As she was about to start running again, Yoo came out of nowhere and tackles her over his shoulder.

“Let go of me!” she yelled, hitting and wiggling but he held her tight. He has to admit, the punches hurt but he kept himself together.

Jong Kook gets to the scene as Yoo carries her to him. Obviously, they were both stressed.

He sees the streak of blood on Yoo’s nose. “You’re bleeding…”

Yoo nodded. “I know.” He grunts as Ji Hyo punched him again.

***

After they caught Ji Hyo, she was put back on the bed as the doctor tends her. His other tried to assure her that she was alright, making her feel better.

The doctor asked them to leave them alone as he checks on Ji Hyo’s health.

Jong Kook came in when the doctor allowed them.

The doctor looks at Jong Kook as he runs towards Ji Hyo.

He stands over her with his hands on his hips. “Are you out of your mind?!” But no answer from her. He huffs.

“Who are you?” Ji Hyo asked.

Jong Kook stared at her dumbfounded. “What do you mean who am I?”

Ji Hyo stares at him silently.

“I am…” he hesitates, seeing her confuse look. “Ji Hyo, are you alright?”

She looks at him blankly, “J-Ji Hyo…” she points at herself. “My name is Ji Hyo?”

He became worried suddenly. He touches her forehead to check if she has a fever then on her neck to check her pulse if she was still alive.

“W-What are you doing?” she pushed his hand away. She backs away from him.

To his demise, she wouldn’t let him near her. Trying to think, he scratches his head.

Ji Hyo stares at him. “Who did you say you were?”

He looks back at her.

“I’m… I’m your husband, Kim Jong Kook.”

Ji Hyo stared at him blankly. “My husband, Kim Jong Kook…?” then she tried to think before biting her fingers. “What is a ‘husband’?”

Jong Kook face palm himself. “Doctor Lee, I think you need to come check her again,” he yelled out as he exit the room, leaving her alone.

Ji Hyo kept trying to think. “What’s wrong with him?”

The doctor bowed his head to Jong Kook, his mother and Yoo.

“I’m afraid Lady Kim is suffering from memory loss.”

His mother gasps, covering . “Memory loss you say?”

“But,” Jong Kook steps up. “She was running around and screaming like there’s no tomorrow though.”

“She’s pretty strong too,” Yoo added. “It can’t have hurt her that bad right, Doctor Lee?”

He nods. “It seems the impact of the fall hit hard, making her confused and afraid.”

Jong Kook and Yoo sighed.

“How to make her remember?” his mother asked.

“Soon, a few days, a few weeks, months, or evens years. Or never.” he concluded. “I think the best way would be taking her to places that she’s been before, most likely back to the Song’s Mansion.”

His mother turned to Jong Kook, “We need to talk,” then back to Doctor Lee, “Thank you. If there is any medication that should be prescribed please write it down. Lieutenant Yoo can help get it.”

Yoo nodded.

Jong Kook followed her to the pavilion as she turned to look at him strictly. “Take care of Lady Kim.”

“Mother,”

“She is your wife. You need to take care of her now.” His mother glares at him. “This all happened after you initiated that hunting trip. I heard that she was trying to help Ara.”

Jong Kook’s look down guiltily.

“You are her husband and she prioritize your ‘woman’ before herself.” She shook her head, “I have never seen any woman who would do that. I would have left her for dead.”

“That’s only you mother.”

“Exactly,” she hissed back. She points at him. “If Minister Song finds out about this, what do you think he will do? You, take care of your wife. Don’t make me use alternatives.” she scolded him and walked away.

Jong Kook rubbed his temples then looks down at the aching pain, her bite marks was still visible as the tiny blood had dried up.

***************************************************************************