Chapter 48

Day by Day

DOUBLE UPDATE FOR YOU! (Whoever you are ^^ You the boss)

***********************************************

Ji Hyo greeted her in-laws and sits comfortably in her chambers at home, finally resting. She has been traveling back and forth to the training camp for nearly two months. Now that her work was done, she could return to the Kim’s mansion.

But something bothered her. Kim Mu Ryeok, Jong Kook’s uncle.

Leaning on one hand as she laid on her side, Ji Hyo sighs as she was lost in thought.

“Miss,” her new maid interrupts her. Ji Hyo flinches and looks up at the maid. “I knocked and called a few times but you didn’t answer so I just entered.”

Ji Hyo lazily sits up, “It’s fine, what is the matter?”

***

Ji Hyo looks at the gravesite as the new maid bows to the decorated grave.

Choi Yeo Jin.

The maid finishes bowing and turns to Ji Hyo. “How did my sister die?”

Ji Hyo looked at the grave plate, her feelings growing gray and settling into black. Her blood boiled with the words that slips from her tongue.

“Poison.”

The maid clenched her teeth, her eyes turning pink, “Who did it?”

Ji Hyo felt her eyes burning with hot tears as she holds them back. Closing her eyes for a second she reopens them to reveal and cold expression. “Kenji Wu, an assassin.”

The maid’s eyes widen, turning away, “That bastard…” she muttered under her breath. Her eyes grew teary, “I’ll kill him.” She stomps away.

Ji Hyo watches the grave as the maid walked further from the site. Walking towards the grave, she bows to the grave. “Don’t worry, I won’t let anything happen to your sister.” With that she left the grave site.

***

The maid stomps with tears running down her cheeks. She stops as she couldn’t hold it in any longer and starts to sob out loud. Wiping the tears from her cheek only to spill tears again, she stopped and squat down, crying to herself.

A hand gently pats her head as she looks up. Ji Hyo softly looks at her.

“Tears should only come at the end of a fight. How are you going to find him if you are already like this?”

“Miss…” she whispers.

“Choi Jinri, wake up.” Ji Hyo tells her, “You’ll never be able to catch him, never mind killing him in this state.”

Ji Hyo holds her hand and pulls her up, leading her the way back to the Kim’s mansion. Jinri follows Ji Hyo silently as her tears had dried up.

***

Now that Ji Hyo had her new companion, her plans must be played thoroughly. Images flashes back to the grave site of Yeo Jin; Ji Hyo had noticed a crumpled hankie by the edge.

Kenji was close by.

She takes out the box from the table, taking in a deep breath, she leaves with the box in her hand.

Ara sat in her chambers, waiting for Jong Kook’s return but nonetheless he did not come. There was a knock-on Ara’s doors, making her stand up hopefully.

“L-Lady Song,” Ara composes herself as Ji Hyo sits in front of her.

She sets a box on the table, making Ara look up at her in surprised.

“This may not be much but I hope you like it.” She pushed the box to Ara.

Ara opens the box to reveal jewelry. “This is…” she looks up at Ji Hyo.

“I don’t remember the marriage between the general and I. But I do know that he likes exquisite things. Now that you are a part of the Kim family, I hope you will help uphold his honor and dignity, Lady Go.”

Ara bows gratefully. “Don’t worry, I will do my best to uphold his honor,”

Ji Hyo gets up to leave but stops. “Sir Kim may not be back by tonight so rest assure.”

Ara smiles gently. “It’s alright, I’ll wait. After all, he is my husband.”

Ji Hyo’s smile thins out at the mention of those words but she composed herself. “I’ll take my leave now,” and exits.

Ara looks at the jewelry in the box, astonished. She looks at the empty door, almost feeling bad but stopping herself from wavering.

From outside, Ji Hyo watches a conflicted Ara stare at the box, putting it away, as she looks back through the cracks.

***

Ara walked around the mansion, wind up in Kenji’s threats. Her attempt to hurt Ji Hyo at the training camp was unsuccessful. On top of that, she was discovered by Yoo.

If she does something strange again, Yoo will ultimately suspect her.

Wavering, she questions herself. What did Ji Hyo do wrong? But then again, seeing how Jong Kook had refused to leave her side, even adding on how he had shared beds with Ji Hyo now, her jealousy rose.

Her mother was the mistress of her father, making her an illegitimate child. Growing up, she was surrounded by those who pointed fingers at her mother and her.

She swore to never be a mistress or have one. Jong Kook became her light after her father’s passing and the attack in their village. Being separated from her siblings, she had nowhere and no one to turn to, she could only rely on him.

She trusted that Jong Kook’s love towards her would never change. She accepted his marriage with hopes of his promises. Instead, she was ravaged by that bastard.

If Jong Kook knew, he would be disgusted with her.

Her blood boil and instantly felt filthy every time Ara thinks about it.

She didn’t want to hate Ji Hyo. But! This happened because of Ji Hyo. She had become a selfish and greedy person.

Ara crumpled her skirt as she felt tears threatening to fall. She takes a deep breath, trying to avoid those images of her being violated.

She won’t be able to forget it. No! She refused to forget it.

He had taken away her innocence and faithfulness to Jong Kook. Kenji, she will kill him when the opportunity comes.

***

Ara was occupied and didn’t notice the slippery path covered in oil. She slipped down and yelped.

Crying out loud, she clutched to her back and stomach, having fall badly. She tries to get up but couldn’t. Being alone didn’t help it either.

She started to call for her maid but stops mid-sentence when she heard a hiss. Freezing immediately, she slowly turns her head.

A black snake slither at the foot of the stairs.

She screams and tries to back away but couldn’t as it was too slippery. Her dress became dirty and she was becoming hysterical, trying to get away from the snake.

Jong Kook heard her screaming and came to the scene. Seeing Ara struggling and cowering in fear he runs forward, pulling her up from the oil slick cement. She clung onto Jong Kook.

“Oppa!” She pointed to the snake, “T-take it away, take it away!” She covered her face in his arms, “I’m so scared.”

He glances at the snake, a shade of concern. He immediately looks out for Ji Hyo.

“Where is Lady Song?!”

The butler runs out, “The Lady is in her room.”

Assure now, he takes Ara to her room.

Even as he sat with her, Ara was persistent on finding out who had made this mistake of spilling oil on the floor where she was walking and coincidently meeting the snake.

She sobs, afraid that someone was out to get her.

Jong Kook tries to tell her that it was probably an accident, although he was suspicious himself.

“It’s not!” Ara protest. “Ever since the day I came into the Kim’s mansion, no such has ever happened before.”

“Ara-“

“Do you not believe me oppa?” she looks at him tearfully.

He quiets down, “Alright, I will find out what really happen. But as of now, keep resting.”

She looked upset.

“Are you hurt? It seems you got hurt badly,”

“A little,” she rubbed her back and stomach.

“I’ll call for a doctor and prepare some tonic for you, “ he assures her. She smiles gently and he excused himself.

When she tries to stop him, he stated his worry and didn’t want to disturb her. She was left alone until the doctor came in.

What happened after only alleviated her anger and hate.

*

~Lady Song’s Chambers

She settled down on her bed as the maid gave her a cup of tea.

“Jinri,” Ji Hyo calls her.

“Yes, my lady?”

Ji Hyo sips the cup of tea. “Why did my father choose you over all the maids to take Yeojin’s place?”

The maid hesitated before looking up at Ji Hyo. “I believe you know it best.”

Ji Hyo stops and thinly smiles. “Really?” She sets the cup of tea on the stool next to the bed. “What is it that you are better at that Yeojin is not?”

“Miss,”

Ji Hyo stands up and walks toward the painting of the folded bamboo boards. She touches the intricate painting and image of flowers. She turns back to the maid.

“If revenge is what you want, you ought to be smarter than this.”

Jinri looks up at Ji Hyo.

“What you did today was worthy of punishment. Yeojin has never made any mistakes before. If you want me to trust you, prove your worth.”

Jinri looks up at Ji Hyo determinedly, “Yes, milady.”

Ji Hyo turns to the window, “The tide has only started rising.”

Jinri looks down as she berated herself, leaving the room. She returned to her quarters and behind the paintings was a secret compartment. Inside the secret compartment was a jar of oil.

If her suspicions were true, Ara would be worry to death now. Though she berated herself for being too obvious, she was proud of slowly succeeding. No one hurts her lady without facing her.

*

( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCrKncOpE7Q )

Jong Kook steps into the room to find it empty. He had changed his clothes into a casual appearance. Looking everywhere for Ji Hyo, he stumbles to the kitchen.

She was there, but she was not alone. Gong Yoo!

He sees them together again. Yoo and Ji Hyo conversing. He hid behind the pillars, hiding himself, trying to eavesdrop. But he heard nothing. He looks back at them, irritated as he sees Yoo picks up her hand. He gripped onto the pillar, clenching his teeth.

It didn’t stop there, Yoo had bent down and… kiss her cheek. Jong Kook’s eyes widen, screaming.

“Yah!”

He pushed Yoo away from Ji Hyo and punched him.

REWIND

It was all in his imagination. Jong Kook shakes his head and looks clearly.

Yoo held Ji Hyo’s hand and handed her an envelope. The atmosphere looked tense but he sees Ji Hyo’s smile brighten.

He bit his lips.

Stop smiling at him.

Yoo said something and it made Ji Hyo smiled even bigger.

I said stop!

Ji Hyo jumped on Yoo, wrapping her arms around him.

Jong Kook could stand it no longer. “NO~!” he yells out externally.

They both froze, removing their bodies from each other and looked his way.

Knowing he was caught and speaking out loud, Jong Kook immediately turned around but bumped into someone else.

A little high pitched yelp, he takes out his arm but missed by an inch. The person fell on the ground clumsily. It was a woman.

The woman was dressed in a different clothing, not a hanbok but a similar clothing to soldiers.

She looks back up at Jong Kook and shouts. “Watch where you are going!”

“I-I,” flustered Jong Kook was in panic. But he hadn’t seen this woman before, therefore, he turn into his General status.

“Who are you and why are you here?”

The woman pats the dust off her and glares at him. “Me?” she gets up and pats her hand free of dust.

“I’m Minister Yoon’s daughter from Mongolia. I am here to retreat my husband-to-be.” She stares at him from head to toe. She crossed her arms sassily, “And who are you?”

Jong Kook stares at her, measuring her up and down with her claim. She looks nothing like a noble’s daughter. He crossed his arms. “I am General Kim of Goryeo, the owner of this place.”

She looks at his apparel then snickers. “Well, you don’t look like one.”

Saying that, he realizes he was in his different robe, not uniform, but a regular cloth.

She nudges her head towards the kitchen to the two figures, “And it seems like you were eavesdropping.”

His face flushed red and refuses to turn around. Knowing he was caught, he reluctantly turns around and waves awkwardly at them.

“Aigoo, why are these things so cluttered? Butler! Butler!” he calls for the butler as Ji Hyo stood behind Yoo, wondering what happened. Yoo pinched his forehead as he looks at the woman who stuck out her tongue to him and smiled sassily. She frowns, though, trying to get a look at Ji Hyo's face.

*****************************************

Another update! Got chu didn't I?

:)

So.... I was wondering if you guys prefer short chapters like the previous one or longer chapters like this one? Please comment dwn below and give me feedback.

Thanks for reading! See ya bunnies! <3

***

Character Analyzation:

Chen Bolin

- Crown Prince of Yuan, cousin of Song Ji Hyo

- Wants Song Ji Hyo to go back to Yuan

Kenji Wu

- Lost Prince of Yuan, cousin of Song Ji Hyo, assassin

- Ex-lover of Choi Yeo Jin

- Wants to kill Song Ji Hyo & Kim Jong Kook

- Violated and using Go Ara

Choi Jinri

- Younger sister of Choi Yeo Jin (Ji Hyo's first maid and best friend)

- Wants revenge for her sister

Mysterious woman at the end

- Gong Yoo's arranged Mongolian bride

- Sassy and bratty, blunt