Chapter 19

Day by Day

Kenji Wu. Ji Hyo glared at him.

He smiled back at her playfully. He stepped forward, making his way closer.

“Stop there.” Ji Hyo ordered.

He stops then grins at her before taking another step forward.

Ji Hyo could see the devilish look in his eyes as he step forward. In his left hand was a sword and there, he gripped to his sword with his right hand.

He then charges forward, taking out the sword.

Ji Hyo kicks the table in front of them at him while he slashes it down in half.

She pushes Yeo Jin away and grabs for a candle holder as she had no weapon in her room.

Kenji waves the sword at her as she holds out the candle holder to block his attack.

The door is kicked open as Ji Hyo is pushed against the wall.

Yeo Jin grabs the tray of items and intends to hit the man but he stops it. He smiled and grabs Yeo Jin around as Ji Hyo frees herself from the corner.

From door was Jong Kook and Yoo with a track of troops.

Kenji turns around as Yeo Jin is under his possession now.

Ji Hyo stands up with the candle holder but he had raised the sword to Yeo Jin’s neck, threatening to hurt her.

“Hello there, General.” Kenji smirked at Jong Kook who had cornered into the room.

“Do you know where you are?” Jong Kook asked.

Kenji smiled devilish. “I do. I’m at the heart of Goryeo.”

“And you dare to break into my place.”

Yeo Jin tried to move but he strangled her harder, letting the sword lie against her neck.

“Not so fast.” he warned her.

“What do you want?” Ji Hyo asked.

“His life.” Kenji answered.

Ji Hyo’s face grew dim. “Let go of her. She doesn’t know anything.”

He clicked his tongue. “You, my dear, is the one who doesn’t know anything,” he whispered.

Ji Hyo glared at him.

“She knows everything.”

*flashback*

~The night Ji Hyo did not return~

Yeo Jin runs around the camp, looking for Ji Hyo.

She turns around and notices shadows around the wood. She took out her dagger, inching closer until she was close. There, she saw them. Two men exchanged items then looks before nodding.

She sees the item, a map of the forest, it seems to be.

Trying to see better, she steps on a branch, thus alerting them. The two of them split up, one ran away and the other ran after her.

Yeo Jin starts running away until she bumped into him. He throws a handkerchief over , wrestling her down, letting her see his face. Soon, she was unconscious.

*Flashback to present*

Ji Hyo glared at him as she sees Yeo Jin’s face turning pale.

“My lady,” Yeo Jin’s legs grew weak as Kenji threw her aside and dives in for Ji Hyo. Ji Hyo was unaware of that attack as he swoops in before Jong Kook could intervene, thus making her his new hostage.

Yeo Jin lied weak on the ground. There, Ji Hyo could finally see it. Yeo Jin was poisoned ever since that night.

“How could you?” she hissed at him.

He grin and took her hostage, moving toward the troops.

“Anyone comes close and I’ll cut ,” he threatened.

Jong Kook stood calm though his face had turned dark.

He steps in, making Kenji lightly pressing the sword against her neck, causing a small streak of blood to drip.

He stops then chuckles. “Do it.”

Ji Hyo looks at him in disbelief and so did Yoo but they tried to stay calm.

“She means nothing to me anyway.” Jong Kook stated.

Kenji did not lose his smile, perhaps his grin grew wider.

“If she dies, I can just marry another woman and gain more allies in the court.” Jong Kook crossed his arms.

Ji Hyo’s eyes burned with anger but she tried to convince herself, Jong Kook is trying to help her and advert Kenji’s attention.

Kenji did start to hesitate and loosen his grip.

Jong Kook gulped, hoping it works.

As Ji Hyo was about to move, he pulls her back and presses the sword firmer,

“You think that I would fall for that?”

Yoo stepped back, disappearing into the shadow then ran out of the room.

“You are already surrounded.” Jong Kook said as he held his sword, ready to pull it out.

Kenji laughed evilly, “Well, you are a step behind this time, General Kim.” He leaned closer on Ji Hyo and pats her head then caressed her cheek.

“You think that I only came here knowing where your wife is? I wonder, how is your other wife now?”

Jong Kook’s finally lost his cool. Then that means,

Ara is in danger.

Jong Kook didn’t know what to do. If he leaves, then Ji Hyo will get hurt, worst of all, dies. But if he stays, Ara might be hurt the same too.

“You do know attempted murder against me will give you a death sentence.” Jong Kook tries to ticked him off.

“You know that lying to his majesty is worthy of a death sentence too right?” Kenji spit back. “You, trick your wife into marriage with you while you were married to someone else.”

Jong Kook shook with anger.

“She doesn’t deserve someone like you,” Kenji smiled and pressed the sword harder against her neck, making Ji Hyo closed her eyes as the pain cut her.

Jong Kook grabs for his sword but Kenji steps forward with Ji Hyo, taunting his move. He stops as they were inches apart. He leans forward and grins at Jong Kook.

Defeated, Jong Kook lets go of his sword. Kenji smiled but felt a sharp pain on his back, making him loosen his grip. Ji Hyo runs out of his grip into Jong Kook as he takes out his sword.

Standing behind Kenji was Yoo, holding his own bloody sword. Yoo fought against Kenji, making him weaken, rolling on the ground. Jong Kook went in the fight and raised his sword against Kenji’s neck.

“Release Ara.” He threatened.

Kenji laughed as he lie on the ground.

“Answer me!”

Kenji spit at him. “In her grave.”

Jong Kook, furiously stabs at his chest, digging it. Kenji splurts out blood as Yoo stops Jong Kook.

“If he dies then there is nothing we can do.” Yoo reminds him. “Ji Hyo-“ he turns to Ji Hyo only to see the place empty.

They both turned to see Ji Hyo gone.

Yoo was about to run out but Jong Kook was faster so he stayed, knocking Kenji out before running after Jong Kook.

Yeo Jin looks from the floor to Kenji as she laid weakly.

“Kenji…” then her mind wanders thoughtlessly.

***

Ji Hyo ran through the courtyard in her white clothes as her hair brush behind her. With all her might, she ran, hoping everything will be alright.

She reached Ara’s quarters but it was empty.

She noticed the back door was open, there, she sprinted forward, pulling her skirt up so she can run faster.

Damn this dress.

Ji Hyo grabs a kitchen knife and runs outside.

There, she could see someone on the ground, beaten. She quickly runs to the person.

“Where is Miss Go?” Ji Hyo pulls the lady over.

The lady, hurt turns to her, holding onto her arm for support.

“Sh-she is-“

Ji Hyo tried to help her.

“She is,”

Ji Hyo felt a sharp pain on her abdomen, bending over as she could feel the blade carve against her skin.

The lady leans forward and whispers. “You shouldn’t worry about someone else,”

Ji Hyo grabs her hair and pushes the woman back, the knife was pulled out from her, making blood stream down her abdomen. The deep red blood shown against her white clothes as the woman taunts her, pushing her off the end of the yard down the hill.

Ji Hyo rolled down the hill as her vision spin. She hit a ton of things, making the world blurry.

The woman smirked and turned to leave but a blade was pointed at her neck. Disappointed, she turned to see who it was.

Yoo glared at her as he held the sword.

***

Jong Kook ran to Ara’s quarters but she was nowhere in sight. He was about to leave when he heard something. He turned back and sees a brown barrel by the door. He quickly broke it open and there was a tearful Ara.

He quickly pulls her out and hugs her, untying the ropes around her hands and feet and mouth.

“Are you alright?” He asked her. She hugs him tightly.

“Don’t leave me alone again, oppa.” she cried.

Then they heard the troops rounding up around the place. He held Ara’s hand as they got out of the room.

From the back door, it was open and he could see many men there.

Jong Kook rushes there, only remembering Ji Hyo now.

But when he reached there, he could see the troops of men helping someone get up from the hill.

“What’s going on?” he asked the men.

“Sir,”

Then from the top of the hill appeared a fuzzy Yoo carrying Ji Hyo, who was covered in blood. His heart almost dropped as he sees Yoo hold her breathlessly in his arms.

***

The doctor checked Ji Hyo’s pulse as her head was already bandage by the maids and treated her stab wound.

Jong Kook and Yoo stood outside, waiting impatiently.

Yoo trying to peek in, wondering why the doctor is taking so long. On the other hand, Jong Kook tried to stay calm but he felt like a time bomb, ready to tick off.

Minister Kim and his wife waited urgently, hoping for good news.

The door finally opened and the doctor came out.

“Doctor Lee,” they all rushed towards him. “How is my daughter-in-law?” his mother asked.

He shook his head worriedly.

“Is it anything critical?” Jong Kook asked before Yoo. Yoo, remembering his position, backed off into his old demeanor on the side.

“I’m afraid Lady Kim was hurt badly. The stab wound was fatal but she has passed the critical stage. However…”

“However what?” Jong Kook impatiently demanded louder.

“The injury on her head might cause problem. We will have to wait until she wakes up.”

**************************************************************************

Thank you for the gracious comments and subscribers. I'm having an exam this week, please wish me luck ><

I hope this chapter wasn't too cliche :P Hope you enjoy it.