Chapter 44

Day by Day

My apologies! AN awaited chapter.

**************************

Late into the night, Ara is awakened by a sound. The air was eerily but she couldn’t help it. Suddenly, a hand covered , waking her up immediately. She pushes the figure away only to stop as the light is shone on his face.

Kenji smiles menacingly. “It’s me.”

Ara pushes him away and looks around then turns to him in a whisper, “How did you get in here?”

He stands up and walks to the door. He was inside this mansion again.

“I need you to do something for me.”

Ara raised her brows and turns away. “I don’t owe you anything.”

He walks back to her, crouching before her. He touches her chin, gripping it so she looks at him. “If you don’t want your husband to know anything, then do as I say.”

Ara, unwilling to be blackmail, glares at him in disgust, “Go ahead, let’s see who he believes. Me or a villain like you?” She pushes his hand away. “Leave before I scream for help.”

He scowl as Ara stands up.

“Don’t ever let me see your face again,” she stated. There was a moment of silence and as she turns around, before she could contemplate it, she was grabbed by the throat and slammed onto the wall.

She yelps lowly as she gasped for air, meeting the eyes of a grim Kenji.

He leans to her ear, “Do as I say… or else you’ll begging for help from me instead.”

Ara’s eyes glisten as she starts t choke silently.

Creepily, he withdraws to make sure she could see his face clearly. “Song Ji Hyo. Kill her.”

Ara’s eyes widen.

Kenji lets go of his grip, making Ara lunge for air as she could barely hold herself together. He stands up, ready to leave. But he turns back and pats her head and pecks her cheek before leaving.

Shaken and disgusted, Ara begins to wipe away his kiss on her cheek roughly. Trembling, she doesn’t know what to do. Why does Kenji want to kill Ji Hyo?

All the while, a dark voice echoes at the back of her head. If she kills Ji Hyo, then Jong Kook will only be hers… But Ji Hyo hasn’t done anything to hurt her yet… But still, if Jong Kook finds out what happened between her and Kenji, surely he will not forgive her.

Ara covers her ears, terrified and unsure of what to do.

***

Morning came by…

Ji Hyo is up, fixing her hair and clothes. The first thing she does is head to the kitchen, setting up the table for the family breakfast. Just as she finishes ordering the ingredients and menu, she sees a dishevel Ara by the kitchen door.

“Good morning, Lady Go.”

“Nneh…” Ara whispers.

“You look unwell, did you not have enough rest last night?” Ji Hyo sees Ara’s pale complexion.

“I…” Ara tries to find the words to say, “Jong Kook oppa- I mean Husband Kim… Is he...?”

Ji Hyo walks to Ara. “Why don’t you sit down for a while? I’ve already order the chef to cook breakfast for the family.”

Ara sits down by the table as Ji Hyo cooks. She looks at Ji Hyo. A hint of envy stings her.

During the family, breakfast, Jong Kook was nowhere to be found yet. Although his mother didn’t care to look at her, Ara only stayed patiently.

“Lady Kim,” his mother addresses Ji Hyo. “Where is Jong Kook?”

Ji Hyo sets her chopsticks down, “I’m not sure about that either, mother.”

“Aigoo, that irresponsible man. Only knows how to make trouble,” she glances at Ara.

Ara sets her chopsticks down, excusing herself. Ji Hyo didn’t even glance at her once as she got up and walked away. It was only when she looked at Ara’s full bowl did she glance in her direction.

*** 

Ji Hyo was in the study room, learning about the accounting in the family business for military. She stops as she sees comes across a page that leaves her wondering.

Han So Yi.

The diary that she read before… The name sounds so familiar. She heard it somewhere, she swears.

There was a crackling sound in the room, some smokes. Ji Hyo turns around, smells something burning. She follows the smoke and come upon a burning book.

She squints and sees the letters on the front of the book. Her eyes widen, grabbing anything in sight to put out the fire. Flapping the fire out in time, she grabs the book out of the ash tray, burning her hand in the process.

It was the accounting book for the Kim’s management in military with the government money set for the soldiers.

She groaned as she ran her fingers through the book. It was burned half way, most records have turned into ashes.

***

“What?!” Jong Kook’s father stands up. He takes the accounting book into his hands and flipped over the burnt pages. “How did this happen?” he slams the book on the table.

“When I found it, it was already set on fire.” Ji Hyo looks down.

His father scowls as his mother tries to cool down his anger.

“Who would dare do this?” his mother berated. His father frowns and looks over at Ji Hyo.

“Daughter-in-law Kim,”

“Yes, Father?”

“I know that you are still in recovery, however, it is an urgent matter. You’ve advised his majesty before, therefore, how is your memory now?”

“I may have picked up some skills from here and there along the way as my memories are returning slowly,” she slowly spoke.

“What do you think about the initial prospects of the Kim’s management of spending on the military?”

“I dare not to say,”

“Speak,” his father assured her.

Sitting up, Ji Hyo relaxed. “Our initial prospects are passable; however, I have noticed that we tend to focus the spending on luxuries more than the enhancement in warfare.”

“Your point is?” his eyebrow up.

Ji Hyo looks up at her father-in-law determinedly, “There is room for improvement on warfare weapons and recovery center during wars for the soldiers. It may seem to be hassle for us but the usefulness of doctors may help the soldiers recover faster. Weaponry and shields should be enhanced. I believe that since the allies of different countries are together, we should intercept into the importing of materials.” Ji Hyo looks down again as she finishes.

His father was silent for a moment, contemplating her idea. “Do you have the confidence that those enhancements will improve the military base and finances?”

She hesitated but answered assuring, “Yes.”

“Then you lead them.”

Ji Hyo immediately looks up at him, “Father…”

***

Jong Kook stirs awake as a ray of light hit his face. Drowsy and a terrible headache zoned him out. It took him a moment before realizing where he was.

To his left, Yoo cuddles next to him, their faces inches apart. Just then, Yoo’s eyes flew open and the two men stares at each other, blinking in an awkward moment of silence.

“AH!”

Both men sat up instantly only to regret it as they clutched onto their temples and neck, groaning.

Flashes of last night pops up again and they scowl silently to themselves.

Jong Kook gets up first as he exits the tent to wash up. Looking up, he sees a woman’s back facing him, inspecting the batch of weapons and soldiers’ disciplinary.

Who is this person? He steps forward as the woman turns around.

Ji Hyo wore a dark blue robe that enhanced the color of her skin, her hair tied in a high ponytail décor with a plain hairpin.

He stands agape at her image as their eyes met. Seeing him disheveled and reeking of alcohol, Ji Hyo advanced towards him. She bows her head,

“You have woken up,” she looks up at him as his eyes have not left her. She hands him a set of new clothes, “Please change your clothes, there is an urgent matter that we need to discuss.”

Still no answer, she her eyebrow, “Did you want me to… wash you up?”

Jong Kook blinked quickly, taking the clothes from her. “Just a moment,” and turns away quickly. As soon as he made it away to his tent, he finally breathes. He turns his head back outside, slightly confused.

“Why is she… becoming prettier?” he whispers. He shakes his head, “It must be the hangover.” he quickly washes up.

***

Jong Kook looks at the weaponry and accounting seal then up at Ji Hyo, who sat across from him.

“What is that you want to change?” he finally spoke.

“The inventory and financial use of weaponry.”

He stops for a moment, “No.”

Ji Hyo looks up at him. “Why not?”

He sits up straightly, “You’ve just recovered, you shouldn’t go around.”

Ji Hyo looked around the room and only stares at him in silence.

“I am very well. I will continue my duties as said before,” she stands up and bows her head, “Please cooperate General Kim,” and she excused herself, leaving him speechless. Does she really meant to separate personal and military affairs here?

She launders over the weaponry area and watches the soldier warm up. It was a sunny, windy day, a perfect day to… be happy?

She turns around and comes face to face with Yoo who has changed his clothes and stares at her in silence. They exchange glances as he smiles and strides towards her.

“What are you doing here, Lady Kim?”

“I see you have just rise, Lieutenant Yoo.”

“Of course.”

Ji Hyo exchange a polite smile with him but he could tell something was amiss. He turns to look at the weaponry inventory with her.

“Is there something that I can help you with?” he touches a sword.

She nods, “I believe only Lieutenant Yoo will know best about it.” He turns to her.

***

Ji Hyo had finished the weaponry inventory and was examining the efficiency of each weapon type by personally using them during the soldiers’ training time.

She takes out a gladiator spear, embellish with only the red cloth. With one throw, it stab into the ground but it’s weight and damage was still far from superior. She would have to jot down notes to reform the spears.

A wild black horse was set free into the land. It was a moment before Ji Hyo noticed it headed straight for her.

Yoo notices it right away ad runs for the horse. He managed to grab the reins just as Ji Hyo turned around and moved out of the way.

“Are you alright?” he held tightly onto the reins. Ji Hyo nodded as Yoo glares at the horse who neighed at him.

Ji Hyo touches the horse, patting it. “Such a beautiful horse.”

He nods in agreement, “It belongs to a Mongolia tribe.”

She turns to him, “Mongolia? Does that mean your bride is here?”

His face turns sour but he fakes a smile.

“My apologies, I spoke out of line.” She smiles at the horse, “Your owner must be as beautiful as you.”

“More like wild,” he mutters, making Ji Hyo turns to him and smirk.

“I don’t think she’s that bad. If you don’t mind, I should meet her one day.”

“I do mind.” He blurts out instantly, causing Ji Hyo to giggle.

“Are you afraid I’ll steal your wife?”

“Stop laughing,” he retorts in a serious tone but that makes her laugh more as his face does not match his voice, making him smile himself too.

From afar, Jong Kook watches them laugh together. Yoo turns and sees him and speaks inaudible words to Ji Hyo, something Jong Kook could not hear, which infuriates him even more.

Ji Hyo looks at him and smiles again as she talks back with Yoo.

***

The next day, Ji Hyo hurries to the palace weaponry and instructed for new modifications to be made with the black smith. It took hours and the heat in the blacksmith warehouse was burning her out but she insisted on staying.

Before long, she had tested the weapons out in the training grounds by herself. Something about the spear war not feeling right. She added a sharper embellishment of a one spearhead and smooth wood handle banded with a metal décor to grip the spear better.

She had spent 3 days to herself and the weaponry, countless times in the blacksmith warehouse and between visits to the medicine inventory for the military.

She grabbed another spear and threw it with all her might, accidently pulling her arm muscle as the spear slipped out of her hand. Someone had purposely spilled oil on this spear handle.

The spear slips as she lost grip of it, the spearhead came loose and flips toward her. As she pulled her arm muscle, Ji Hyo trips trying to grab the spear head.

A hand circled around her waist, prevented her frm falling on the ground towards the sharp spear head. The sunlight blinded her as the shadowy figure faces her. She squints and sees Jong Kook’s harden expression look right back hers.

With one arm around her waist, he had grabbed the spear head, slicing his palm. He helps her up and he carefully holds the spear head as blood trickles on the ground. His silence and harden expression made it hard to read him.

He puts the spear head away and walks away from her before she could speak a word. He was ignoring her.

She had held attentiveness toward the safety of weapons and requested for an investigation with the products being made. She enters his personal tent, seeing him holding up the political notes with his badly bandaged hand.

“General,” she steps forward.

“I will have someone investigate the weaponry productions as to why there was an infective item.” He cuts her words without looking up at her. “You may leave now.”

Ji Hyo glances at his hand and bows lightly again and retreats. As she turns around to exit the tent, the tent entrance opens and a dainty Ara enters with a purple cape over her shoulders.

“Greetings, Lady Song,” Ara bows to her.

Ji Hyo nods and glances over her shoulder to Jong Kook but he was ‘busy’ burying his nose in the political papers.

Ara looks at Jong Kook and greets him too. Ji Hyo walks towards the entrance as she overhears their conversation.

“Husband Kim, your hand! What happened?”

“It’s nothing,” he answers in a light tone.

“Let me see,” Ara whimpers.

That was all she heard as she pulls the drapes away and steps out of the tent. In her hand was a small packet of medication for his hand. She crushes it in her hand and walks away.

She stood before the fresh fire pit. A shadow walks towards her, stopping a few feet from her.

“The Goryeo General really needs to upgrade his security on military grounds,” she mutters under her breath but loud enough for the shadowy figure to hear.

The shadowy figure takes off the hood and looks her way as the fire ignites and shows his face.

“You sure know well, xiao mei (little sister),” the husky voice sounds. Ji Hyo turns to him and they stare at each other.

The crumpled medication that Ji Hyo held before was slowly burning, sizzling in the fire pit.

 

“Be careful how far you push me, I may end up liking it there.” -quote-

****************************************************************************