Chapter 43

Day by Day

Ji Hyo kept her eyes on the woman in front of her. Her blank face turns into around.

The maid next to Ara bows down. “This is Lady Go, Lady Song. She and the General had gotten married just two days ago.”

Ara smiles innocently. “You must have forgotten me.” She bows her head, “I deeply apologized for the imprudent behavior.”

A smiles crawls over Ji Hyo’s lips as she stops Ara from bowing. “No need for formalities.” She helps Ara up. “I heard about you before attending the palace.”

“My lady,” Ara worriedly glances at Ji Hyo.

“No wonder Sire Kim fell for you; you are truly beautiful.” Ji Hyo adore the lady’s beauty. “Congratulations on the wedding. I haven’t time to find a wedding gift for you yet.”

“Not at all. You are husband Kim’s consort, therefore, you have every right.”

Ji Hyo smiles thinly and holds the side of her head, “I had a bit of motion sickness on the way back, if you may, excuse me.”

Ara nods and Ji Hyo retreats to her chambers. As soon as Ji Hyo walks through the hall, her second personal maid that her father sent her, frowns.

“My lady…” the maid whispers. Ji Hyo waves her hand to stop the maid. The maid looks down and helps Ji Hyo to her chambers.

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ihQsT-C6nw&list=LL7KMQ_eu1RXU_NWKBXdhGng&index=10 )

Ji Hyo rested by the bed and takes out the embroidery she made. The intricate patterns of a handkerchief of sparse threads glides softly over the white cloth. She didn’t know how long she had stayed in that position until she heard the door knock. Before she could put it away, Jong Kook appeared before her.

“I heard you were having motion sickness, are you alright?”

Ji Hyo smiles at him as she hid the handkerchief in her fist under the table.

“It’s nothing. Aren’t you going to stay with Lady Go, she seems to have waited for you.”

His forehead wrinkled for a split second as he sat in front of her. “I…” he stops halfway before looking up at her. Her brown eyes staring straight at him with the faintest sadness and curvy lips.

“No need for an explanation.” Ji Hyo opens the storage on her left and sets another box on the table. “I haven’t had time to go out yet. Take this as a wedding gift on my part to her.”

He seems conflicted, knowing what was in the box. “Ji Hyo,”

“It is my pleasure to welcome a consort into the Kim’s household.” Ji Hyo bows her head.

Though her hand was motionless in her lap, he could see the stress on her face. He reaches for her hand, giving it a light squeeze.

“Don’t you want to know why I married her?”

Ji Hyo chuckles lightly, “Even if I do, what would it change?” She was not looking at him anymore. “Rest assure, sire.”

Sire… It sounded so distant to him. Even she was treating him like a stranger now. Was she really not curious at all or did she remember everything?

He lets go of her hand and looks at the box in front of him. His expression darkens. “If you want to give it to her, then you do it personally.” He gets up and leaves.

Ji Hyo kept her eyes on the handkerchief under the table. Her eyes grew teary.

If I asked, would you tell me the truth? Ji Hyo touches the handkerchief in her hand. Without further due, she sweeped the box off the table and ripped the handkerchief in half. Fiery disappointment shown on her face as she swallowed down her pride.

The second maid stood by the door as she was about to walk in with the new set of clothes her father sent. The maid glances at her quietly and closed the door, not wanting to disturb her lady.

***

Ara walks along the bridge in the pavilion with her maid trailing behind. As she spot Jong Kook from the jointed hall, she rushed over to him.

“Husband Kim,” she calls him, bowing before him. She slips her arms around his right arm gleefully, “Have you eaten yet?”

He smiles lightly in return, “I’ve already ate.”

Ara pursed her lips to think, “Should I get you some desserts then?”

He stops her, “I have a meeting to attend to.”

“Oh…” her weight on his arm lighten. “But we have only gotten married…”

Reluctantly, he comforted her, “I’ll be back before night falls.”

She nodded and sends him to the door. Jong Kook gets on his horse and proceeds to the training camp.

***

He enters the camp and sees the unsettled soldiers looking at each other. What is going on here?

The soldiers made way for him as he enters the camp. In the center of the camp, he sees an ease Yoo fighting against an angry man. Yoo had the upper hand and holds the sword to the man’s neck. He draws the sword back and glares at the man.

(listen to Hey Na Na by Katie Herzig)

“I’ve already gave you my last warning. Leave Goryeo.” He was about to walk away until the man spoke up.

“Why are you forcing a defenseless woman to marry you?!”

Yoo snickered and continue to walk away. He stops as he comes face to face with Jong Kook.

“General,” Yoo lightly bowed. Jong Kook looks over at the angry man.

“Report Lieutenant Yoo,”

Yoo looks down, “It is a personal matter, sir. I’ve take care of it already.”

“Take care of what?!” the man yelled across the distance. “I’m not done with you yet,” the man strides towards them.

Yoo ignores him as the man berates him in front of Jong Kook.

“I don’t care what rank you are,” the man grabs Yoo’s collar, “Someone ruthless like you are not worthy of being high rank!”

Yoo deadpan with no emotions. He motions to Jong Kook, “Mind you, this is the General of Goryeo.”

The man looks up at Jong Kook and back at Yoo. “And what about it?” he snide.

“Even if you don’t care about my rank, you should still respect such an indigenous man. Didn’t you say you were a great man in your land?”

The man glances at Jong Kook again as Yoo pushes the man’s hand away and bows lightly to Jong Kook.

“I shall take my leave, General Kim.” Yoo walks away as the man snarls behind him. Jong Kook stops the man and addresses him. The man, in the heat of the moment, starts cursing in a language Jong Kook could barely understand.

The soldiers hold the man back as he threw his arms in the air with a few flailing kicks.

Yoo curses under his breath as he reached the camp tent. Jong Kook had no choice but to knock out the man and place him under capital security for foreign affairs back at the bureau.

Jong Kook enters the tent to see Yoo chugging down drinks from the jar. He sat next to Yoo as he rests on the chair.

“Now who is this man to make you so polite?”

“Don’t mention it,” Yoo grumbled.

“He has to be a certain someone to make you grab your sword in a civil area…” Jong Kook sat up as he got the puzzle together, “It can’t be-“

Yoo nodded as he closed his eyes.

Jong Kook chuckled slightly and smack and Yoo’s shoulder. “Where is she?”

“Ugh, I’m so tired.” Yoo turns to the side, pretending to sleep. Jong Kook snickers.

“She must really a beauty for a man to come across the country for her.” Jong Koo took a sip from the jar. “Sadly, she has to settle for someone like you, tsk~ tsk~ The poor, defenseless woman~”

At the remarks, an irritated Yoo sat up instantly. “What poor defenseless woman?! I am the victim here.”

Jong Kook blinks at Yoo in a matter of factly fashion. “So?”

Yoo closed his eyes, annoyed.

“Aigoo, the poor and defenseless woman~ So far away from her country with a man coming to rescue her~ What a tragic love story~” Jong Kook tuned sarcastically.

“Such a tragic love story indeed.” Yoo tuned in. “Poor Lady Song. Coming back from the palace only to find out her supposedly faithful husband has married someone else~ So tragic~” Yoo bites back.

Jong Kook was about to slam the jar on the ground. “Says the man who is going to marry someone else’s woman.”

“Says the man who has 2 women under one roof!”

“You!” Jong Kook stands up angrily.

“What?!” Yoo stands up too.

Jong Kook’s finger pointed at Yoo only to curl back. He grabs the jars of wine and gulped them down. He sets one down and glares at Yoo.

“You liked her too!”

“When did I say that?”

“When we were at the Song’s mansion, you confessed that you like Ji Hyo!”

Yoo thinks back and stops.

“See!” Jong Kook shouted.

Squirming, Yoo shouted back, “It was just a joke.”

“Ha, a joke?” Jong Kook chuckles grimly. “Who do you think you’re fooling? I’ve known you since young.”

Not willing to give up, Yoo grabs the jar of wine and gulps it down before slamming it on the table.

“I only said that so you would make up your mind. But seeing that you chose to marry Ara, it means you gave up on Ji Hyo.”

“Y-You-“ Jong Kook was at a loss for words. “So you’re saying I should not take responsibility for something I’ve done?”

Yoo looks at him ridiculously. “I never said that.”

“A woman’s dignity and purity is as important as gold to them. I am taking responsibility to Ara as I promised her.”

“Sure, sure! You are a great man, yet you didn’t divorce Ji Hyo who has no responsibility to this whole situation.”

“It is my duty as a man.”

“No one told you to eat tofu without a ceremony. It’s not Ji Hyo’s fault that this happened. Why does she have to be the one stepping back for you to bring in your wife to flaunt in her face? Why, when she has already started to think of you as a good man? What makes you think she has to accept everything you do? You are not worthy of being her husband!” Yoo burst.

Jong Kook, intimidated, “Who told you not to reject your marriage proposal? Making a man run across the country for the woman that you don’t want! You call yourself a man? Does the prime minister’s daughter equal so little in your eyes? Even if you hate the Mongolians, she has nothing to do with your anger and wrath! Who are you to hurt her!?”

“You’re not my father!”

“I never said I was!”

The two of them, their voices gone hoarse, strained. Their faces flushed red and the wet ground reeked of alcohol. They glared at each other before turning away to chug down the rest of the liquor in the storage.

***


To "eat tofu" is a rhetorical term for having ual .

I am aware that there are a lot of obstacles for spartace to go through. Jong Kook may seem like a jerk and but it's his character. 

His love story is the answer to the question, "What is the difference between trying to love someone and stopping yourself from loving someone?"

However, I promise it will be solved soon. Thank you for reading.