Chapter 60

Day by Day

“Is she still not eating?” Bolin asked the Chef who shook his head. “Continue cooking and send her food consistently.”

He had just return from the Empress’s palace as she was put under house arrest. Lord Lin, his grandfather was strip of his duties.  

He knew his imperial father’s temper. Anyone who challenged him was never spared. Having found his imperial mother crying in bed, he knew her thoughts. No one knows the sorrow of an Emperor.

Sitting under the willow tree, he looked toward the back of the palace. From young until now, he was aware of the relationship between his parents. His mother wept constantly behind closed doors while his father further his distance.

The day came when he was named Crown Prince, he finally had the chance to get close to his father. There on, he fought to understand why his father did the things he did. He then tried to understand him, and he did. 

“Do you want the throne?” the Emperor asked him. Of course, he wanted it. He was the first born of the Empress and Emperor.

He sighed.

***

Ji Hyo woke up the nth time as her head throb. Thirsty, she finally gave in to her denial. No matter what happened, she cannot change it. She could only accept it.

The pot was empty.

Too weak to speak, she dragged herself to the door. Her abdomen ached, light headed. As her hands manage to unlock the door and slightly open it, her timid leg gave out. Her body falls forward and the world goes black.

Her vision blurs in and out of focus. Inaudible voices and movements moved around her. She was in intense pain, her body ached all over.

“W-What’s going on?” her raspy voice directed at the maid with back turned to her with a wet towel.

She stood back in shock. “She’s awake! The Princess-”

The booming voice in the background silent and flashing actions barge through the transparent drapes.

“How do you feel?” the Emperor appeared by her side.

Sweat runs down her temple as she tries to take consciousness in the surroundings and even. But the sharp pain in her abdomen strikes, causing her to cry out, curling in a fetus shape.

A sharp sound rings in her ear as everything was inaudible, only shadows of movements.

“You’ll be fine. I’m here, everything will go smoothly.” A shaken voice assured her as it fades into the background before hearing a loud horn muting all the sounds.

***

The Emperor turns towards the loud horn as he steps outside. A group of black clothed-men and soldiers were fighting by the gate of the palace. They were trying to open the gate for the intruders.

“Your Majesty!” the eunuch cries as the Emperor remain unfazed.

“Protect the Princess at all means!” he declared before stomping away to his ignorance of the cries of the old eunuch.

Bolin had set his armor over his shoulders as quick as he could when he heard the horn. He had ordered for every archer to stay in place with flammable arrows, guards surrounded the royal family members and the security of the palace.

Looking over the tower, he could see the buildings outside of the palace turn up in flames. Clasping tightly onto his sword, he commands the guards to gather and secure the gates.

***

The slit of her eyes open, her limp body slowly moved as she weakly sat up.

“Princess,” the maids turn towards her as the doctor quick runs to check her. The side of her head throbbed as sound of metal clanging and roaring outside resounded. Drums were being beaten aloud right outside of the palace doors.

“What is going on-“ before she could finish speaking, the doors slam open and a group of soldiers enter.

Lord Ze was among them.

“Lord Ze?”

“ the Princess,” he commanded the other soldiers as he looks at her.

Before she knew it, she was taken from her bed carefully by the soldiers as pulled outside as they surround her petite figure.

A black cloak covered her to blend her in with the soldiers as she was escorted away. Through the gaps, she could see from afar, a clumps of soldiers lined by the palace entrance gate, blocking what seems to be a storming intrusion. Around the towers and walls were archers shooting flamed arrows over.

Lord Ze pulls her over with his arms carefully covering her with the cloak, avoiding anyone. The direction they went was one that she never knew of before, a secret passage?

They were on their way underground when a group of black clothed men appear behind them, running with weapons. The soldiers fought them as Lord Ze hurried her along through the narrow passage to the vast area.

Suddenly, an assassin made it through the gaps as the others were fighting and grabs her cloak. Reflexively, Lord Ze pulls her around behind him as he takes out his sword, meeting the sharp blade the assassin’s attempt.

The two men sized each other before charging forward, swinging their swords ruthlessly. Lord Ze’s moves were swift, accurate and hard with every stab he threw, hitting the man. The remaining soldiers ran over to them and along they ran through the vast underground area.

Hurrying her along, “It was your mother who taught me my first moves,” he tells her along with a satisfied smile.

As they reached the main area underground, she noticed that it was similar to the path of the royal tombs. With another turn to the left, they reach a row of tombs. He pushes the lid but is stopped when the soldiers turned toward the noise.

Another roared echoed behind them when another group of dark clothed men appeared behind, “Hand her to us,” one ordered.

Lord Ze ignored him and looks over at the number of assassins. He hands her his second sword with a smile, “Wield a sword and you shall kill, wield a weapon and you shall win.”

He turns toward the assassins and the remaining soldiers, telling them to attack. An all-out fight occurs with blood shedding everywhere. Ji Hyo takes out the sharp blade and swings it over towards the assassins.

ing the sword, she jumps and kicks the others, spinning in somersault as she runs toward the mud walls. With another swing, she cuts the neck of assassin, sending him flying backwards and falling to his feet.

Having taken down half of the assassins, a blood-stained Lord Ze turns to her, proudly. Just when they thought it was over, another trail of footsteps pursued. Knowing that they were greatly outnumbered, she moves towards Lord Ze with the sword tightly clasped in her palm.

Footsteps moved and they moved side by side as they struck each enemy down. He catches her as she back kicks the others, her feet accurately hitting the target. He pulls her around when a sharp pain hit his back, arrows. He groans, looking behind him as a few assassins had the audacity to use the royal tomb weapons.

Using his sword, he breaks the length of the arrow as half of it still remains in his back. He defensively put out his hand. “Princess,” he whispers, “You know how to swim right?”

Her eyes widen, “No.” she answered.

Gritting his teeth, he chuckled, “You better start learning at this moment then.”

“Lord Ze, what are you saying?”

The assassins creeped closer as they stepped back.

“We can’t keep running around in circles. The enemies are waiting for you outside of these walls. Whatever I tell you to do in the next moments, you must do it, understand?”

She couldn’t protest as the assassins drew closer one by one and multiple as Lord Ze strikes them down. His back shoulder was bleeding profusely, more with every swing he took.

His energy was depleting and he knew it as the arrows had poison. The archer and victim would be poisoned for just touching the arrow. Using his last burst of energy, he swings the sword, turning his body around to kick the lid of the coffin and aims it both at the assassins, letting it go of the sword so it directly stabs them.

He snatches Ji Hyo like a feather and placed her roughly into the coffin. “Live,” he tells her in midbreath as she could see the figures of the assassins jumped behind him while he endures every hit, his arms protecting her.

Blood drips down his mouth as he pulls the ledge by the side of the coffin. A secret passage?!

The hard slate under her collapse, flipping her under. Splash!

Lord Ze roars as he pushes them back, using his hands to punch them and pulls them away from the escape route. Each punch took a part of his energy while he was being outnumbered.

“It is not who you are. It is what you become and make yourself to be.”

Her words had wander in his mind, his mentor and General, Chen Ji Hua.

He regains his strength and continues to fight as blood filled the ground. Taking his sword, he starts swinging once again. Each jab tore into his skin and every step hit him like stones.

***

Ji Hyo struggled as she kicks the icy water underneath her. The river ran under the palace and into the outskirt gates. She kicked and grasped onto anything she could. Her head doused underwater as her inability to swim and the heavy weight of the gown on her. It was deadly cold with the fog of her breath barely rising from the surface of the flowing river.

Her head falls underwater once more when she quickly ripped away the thick gown to her pants. With her hand flailing out, she struggles and with every part of her body being weak because of her negligence towards her health the past week began to take a toll.  

Her feet finally found footing as she reached the shore, breathless, gasping for air and choking out water. Drenched and shivering, her lips had become blueish purple, her lip clattering with her ghostly pale face.

“Biao Mei (Female cousin),” a familiar voice calls to her, relaxed.

Kenji moved towards her as she struggles to stand on her feet.

“I see you are not dead yet,” he grinned.

She glares at him. “You’re not dead yet, why would I die?”

He ignores her as he puts his hand behind his back, standing stoically. “Your mother took something from me, something precious. And I need it back.”

“What is it?” she asked, regaining her strength now.

“A life.” He charges towards her with a kick as she dodges it with her hand while he throws her over his shoulder onto the hard ground. He throws punches at her while she moves, letting him hit the ground, making his knuckles bloody while she rolls off.

Grabbing a rock, she throws it at him and stands to her feet, flipping as she back-kicks him. He catches her arm in time and twists her around while she target his mid-section with her knee.

He yanks her hair shoving her on the ground with one hand her neck and the other repeatedly hitting the side of her head with punches. She wiggles underneath and pokes his eyes, pulling his hair as she took the upper hand. Flipping him over, she slams his hand on the ground and punches his face with one knee on his chest and close to his throat.

“Where is my husband?” she demands as the hot anger raged in her chest.

“To hell with your husband!” Kenji shouts angrily as he kicks her back, making her flipped forward. There, he takes out a sword from the ground using his feet to effortlessly throw it up and swings it towards her.

(Listen to Fearless Theme song)

Ji Hyo tries to dodge the blade as she moves from side to side, barely escaping it while her head continue to throb. Losing her footing as the clench in her abdomen stir, the sharpness of the blade managed to slash her right arm.

Drenched in water as the cold winter breeze made her fingers numb, the sting of the sword cut deeply. She could feel her fragile body crumbling underneath her as her feet began to lose momentum with every attack he advanced.

 Growing tired and breathless, she had to find a way to stop defending and offend. Noticing that his were rather stiff with the sword when holding it in both of his hands, she used it to her advantage.

She rolls over and grabs the empty sword socket, holding it like a sword.

They fought back and forth as the blade and empty sword handle bang in the vast land and water rushed behind her.

Kenji huffed as his breath grew uneven, a hot scorch filled his heart as he sees her coming on stronger with not a weapon but an empty sword handle. It was belittling. With another hit, the blade of his sword broke in half.

He planned so much, gave up so much, killed so many for the moment to avenge. He will kill her, he will take revenge. He will end it all!

Kenji changed his move and raised his sword up while he kicked her feet, making her stumble. Ji Hyo used this moment to charge towards him while his arms were in the air with the sword. Shoving him backward, she made him lose his footing and they both fell down edge off the edge onto the lower land, one feet below the land.

With her on top, blood dripped down from her forehead to the crevices of her eyes, blurring her vision with red. Raising one punch to hit him with her last blast of energy, he blocked it.

He flipped over and grasp her neck tightly in his grip. Blood had gushed from the side of his head and down his temple. His fingers bruised around her neck, tightening it until his knuckles were white as she began to lose breath, choking back.

Anguished tears form in his eyes as her eyes bulge and her skin began to lose its color. Her struggle began to slow down as he weak legs kicked to no avail. Her fingers tighten around his to release her.

He finally lets go and hits the side of her head once more. Ji Hyo gasped for air as the urge to breath came back. It was nauseating, her vision blurred between darkness with one regular and one red vision.

He held the sword above her.

“Die,” he muttered as he plunges the broken sword down. Breathless, Ji Hyo grabs the handle of the sword and tries to prevent him from pushing down the sword but his weight and strength was stronger. Clenching her teeth, she tries to gain strength but there was no strength left.

“DIE!” he roars and pushes down once more, making the sword pierce through her left chest as she screams in pain. The jagged sword pierced her skin slowly as he kept pushing down the broken tip. Blood immediately spotted, the puddle becoming bigger and bigger as it stabbed deeper into her chest.

The scream fades as is still parted, voiceless with the excruciating pain tearing into her arteries and veins. Unshed tears of pain gathered in her eyes as he slowly twisted the sword into her chest. Her world was turning darker and darker, though the day was getting bright to dawn.

Hopelessness, regret, pain… that was all she could feel now.

Ji Hyo, can you promise Mommy to forgive Kenji and his mommy? No matter what happens in the future, you must forgive them. Can you do that for me?”

Ji Hyo nodded. “I promise. Don’t cry anymore mommy.”

Is this what you meant…. Mother? To forgive him… no matter what…

Her voice echoed in her head as she fades in and out. Meanwhile questions and voices ran in her head, Kenji is kicked off her.

The jagged sword is still stuck in her chest. The Emperor hovers over her. She couldn’t read his face as it was too blurry. Her chest heaved for breath. The Emperor yelled inaudible words at her before turning around and a group of soldiers hovered over her. She is quickly picked up, leaning against the boulder as the doctor instantly complied to her wound, firstly with the sword in her chest.

He applied numbing ointment and slowly takes out the sword. She screamed agonizingly as the sword was removed and more blood spurt out of her chest. She could coherently hear swordfights in the background as the blood on her face is being wiped off.

The doctor was skill and quick as herbs and powders were placed around the wound quickly and efficiently with the soldiers protecting them.

Forgive?

She is reminded of the times when Kenji harmed her. Every single time.

Forgive you say?

When Kenji laughed sadistically when he stabbed the sword into her chest.

.

.

.

Ji Hyo pushes the doctor and soldiers out of the way as she made her way to the front, holding onto her bandaged wound. The Emperor stood, seething as Kenji crouched on one knee, laughing.

“Stop it.” The Emperor spoke, “If you want revenge, then it is me you should get it from.”

“You?” Kenji mocked as he looks up, holding onto his chest, wiping the trail of blood on his forehead. “You are right, I should kill you. Just like how you manipulated Ji Hua to kill my father!

Fairness? Where is it?! This world has no justice. Justice is only for those who seeks it, not pray for it!” Kenji shouts. “Meanwhile she lived in riches in the kingdom, my mother and I fought to survive. I was named a bastard child of the enemy!”

“Why should I stop revenge!? Give me a reason why?!”

The Emperor said nothing and moved towards him. “Ji Hyo may be the daughter of Ji Hua but she is not her.”

“Parents’ karma is passed down onto their children!” Kenji declared. The Emperor only glanced at him sadly before the image of his father came back to him.

“My father, what did he do wrong? My mother? It is all because of the royal family’s thirst for hunger! My children, what will happen to them, do you know?” Kenji’s dad shouted at the Emperor when they were younger.

The Emperor takes his sword and hands it towards Kenji as the soldiers ready their stances. “Stand back!” the Emperor ordered. He nudges towards Kenji, “Here, take your revenge.”

“Imperial Father!” Bolin protests.

“Silence!” the Emperor commanded. He steps closer to Kenji with the sword out. “You have lost many things and people in your life to get to this moment, what are you waiting for?”

The glint in Kenji’s eyes change when those words were spoken. He pulls the sword out and raised it to the Emperor’s neck, making the soldiers shift cautiously.

“Nobody moves a step! Protect the Princess, Empress and Crown Prince only! Do not harm this man!” The Emperor shouted once more to stop the soldiers from taking action.

“Revenge?” she asked. They looked towards her as she weakly stood in the crowd. “Kenji, you’ve already lost yourself that day you killed the only person by your side. If there is anyone that needs to take revenge, it will be me!” she shouts. "My mother was never free! She was betrayed and left for dead! Yeo Jin is gone too!"

Kenji ignored her as he raised the sword, swinging it towards the Emperor, whose eyes were open, unmoved. He waited patiently for Kenji.

WHEW!

An arrow shot behind Kenji, making him fall to his knees. The Emperor caught him as Kenji grasp the sword in his hand, stabbing it into the Emperor’s chest, pushing the blade deeper.

The Emperor grunted as blood spot through his Yellow gown and armor. He held Kenji’s shoulder and smiled proudly.

Blood, sweat, and tears gather on Kenji’s face as he takes in the satisfaction of stabbing both of his lifelong enemies.

Another set of arrows is shot at him, making blood spurt out of his mouth, coughing as he began to lose consciousness.

Ji Hyo turns to the shooter, Lord Ze. He managed to defeat those in the underground passage and escaped, finding the antidote and barging out to help them.

The Emperor held the lifeless Kenji in his chest as his mind grew somber. The image of Kenji collided with that of his late father, Ou Xiang. Voiceless, he held the young man in his arms like his own child.

***