Chanyeol: Confused and Angry

Call to the Sea

Jongin. Jongin. Jongin

It sounded nice. It sounded good when others said it. It sounded absolutely beautiful when Jongin introduced himself. However, it sounded godly when Chanyeol let it roll off his own tongue. Every time he said the word it only served to confirm the feeling that it was most the beautiful name he's ever heard in his life. Every time Chanyeol whispered it under his breath he wanted more and more to be able to say every day for the rest of his days. “Chanyeol!” Lay said in a tone that implied he had been trying to get Chanyeol's attention for some time now. 

Chanyeol shook his head and looked down at Lay with a questioning look. “Were you even listening?” 

“Of course. I never zone out when you talk.” 

Lay rolled his eyes and sighed. “I said,” Lay begun, annoyance laced in his voice. “Jongin will be just about full well in three days time. I've given him as much help as I can so we can let him off the ship if we make a quick dock again tomorrow in Haven. It will be easier since its on the way to the forests of the southern lands you wanted to see so bad.” 

Chanyeol suddenly panicked. He glanced as subtly as he could at the sleeping boy a few feet away. He needed to think of a plan asap to keep Jongin from leaving so soon. Why? Chanyeol didn't know, he just had to keep him on the ship just a little while longer. “We won't be docking any time soon.” 

“Chanyeol, we don't have to stay. We don't even have to get off the ship if that's how you want it, but we cannot keep this boy on board.” 

“I'm not going out of my way just to drop some kid off somewhere he's never been.” Somewhere he isn't safe. Somewhere I'm not

Lay scoffed. “Chanyeol, it's on the way. You don't have to do anything.” 

“It's out of the way. We're not going south, we're going east.” 

“Why the hell would we do that?” Lay questioned. 

“I want a new stargazer.” 

Lay scoffed and Chanyeol thought for sure he was going to hit him. “Really? So you'll order the ship off course, keep this kid stuck on our ship for nearly a fortnight all over some trinket?” 

“I am captain of this ship and if you don't agree with me keep it to yourself or else I am going to drop you off on that island of healers and pick up someone who will do what they're told.” 

Chanyeol turned around and basically stormed out of the medical room. Lay couldn't help but scoff again and roll his eyes. There was definitely something going on here that Lay couldn't see.

***

Chanyeol was upset at how he felt. He despised the feeling of being weak and powerless to his own emotions. He couldn't stand how anything and everything that involved Jongin made him 1000 times more protective. More than anything he didn't like how his usually sunny and happy mood was distracted by something unfamiliar that bubbled in his chest every time he saw Jongin. 

All of this made Chanyeol upset, which made him upset that was he upset, which made him even more upset. It was a vicious cycle indeed. Chanyeol intended to break this cycle somehow. He spent much of his afternoon pondering exactly how he could do such a thing. Finally after nearly 40 minutes locked in his room he came to a final conclusion. Jongin was the problem so Chanyeol would be sure to keep himself as far from the problem as possible. However, he still couldn't stand to let Jongin leave just yet so he thought of a different way to distance himself from him. 

***

Lay entered the dining hall sometime after Kyungsoo had finished cooking. Most of the crew had already served themselves seconds by now and Chanyeol was rather enjoying watching Baekhyun and Xiumin scold Sehun, Yugyeom and Bambam for playing with their food. The boys didn't simply laughed and continued to toss their peas and each other from across the table. 

When Xiumin said he was going to make all three of them stay after dinner to pick up every piece of food off the ground with their hands Bambam turned to Chanyeol and gave his best puppy dog eyes and asked if “would you really let Xiumin do such a cruel thing to me” to which Chanyeol replied with a simple yes. 

Bambam pouted and turned to his plate. His pouting didn't last long because he felt another pea hit his face and when he looked up he saw Xiumin smiling like a fool. “Did you see that! He's doing it too, now he can't make us clean!” Bambam said. 

“Actually I can. I'm the oldest on this ship so you have to listen to me.” 

All the three of the boys looked over to Chanyeol, something in their eyes told him he shouldn't agree with Xiumin. He found he was right when the second he shook his head all three of them began pelting Xiumin with peas. “Chanyeol you side with the children?” Xiumin yelled, trying to block the peas with his hands. “How could you do this?” 

Just as Chanyeol began to erupt into laughter along with a few others Lay entered the room. Everyone turned their heads, all curious of new about the guest on the ship. “He's awake, officially now. However he's not quite able to fully walk just yet due to the sedatives I gave him. Will one of you volunteer to help?” 

Distance. Chanyeol thought. He wanted so badly to help, to hold Jongin again but he stayed in his seat. Just when his resolve was about to shatter and he was going to give into his temptation Mark stood up. Chanyeol watched as Mark silently followed Lay out the room. Just like that everyone's conversations restarted and the room was full of laughter once again.