Chanyeol: A Dream to End the Misery

Call to the Sea

Chanyeol felt miserable, sad, angry, hurt, sick… The list of horrible feelings seemed like it was so long it could stretch across the entire ocean. Chanyeol didn't want these feelings. They made him awkward and irritable towards others, but that didn't even compare to what it made him like around Jongin. He was lost in his mind when he was around the younger. His thoughts felt like a sea of confusion, where every emotion possible and then some were all swirling around inside him. When he saw Jongin, his heart fluttered and his stomach was filled with a thousand butterflies. When he saw Jongin with someone else, his heart stopped and his chest filled to the brim with anger and jealousy. He didn't know why.

 

He contemplated coming here with every step from the main deck. All of the crew (and Jongin) were preparing for dinner in the dining hall, but Lay was always in the medical office at this time. Chanyeol wasn't sure if he should tell the other what was going on inside him; he wasn't sure what answer he would receive or what answer he wanted either, which was both usual and frightening.

 

Chanyeol was someone who liked to know what was going on. Someone, who found it hard when there was uncertainty in his life. Jongin certainly made things uncertain.

 

So, he stood outside of medical, pondering if he should knock on the door or just take care of his problems himself. However, he didn't know how to take care of them himself. He knocked twice, waited a few seconds and when there was no response in the time he allowed, Chanyeol began to dart off. At least, he tried. Lay was behind him holding his arm before he could get far from the door.

 

When Lay pulled Chanyeol inside medical in silence, Chanyeol felt regret stirring in his veins. This entire idea was a mistake. Chanyeol stood by the door and Lay simply stared at him. “So…?” Lay began.

 

Chanyeol didn't respond, he was too busy with his own thoughts. Lay rolled his eyes and sighed, which Chanyeol also didn't notice.

 

Lay waited longer in the silence patiently for Chanyeol to speak first, since it was obvious that's how it had to be. When Chanyeol finally did look up from the ground, he had a look in his eyes Lay hadn't seen in a long time. Desperation. “Please, tell me what this is and fix it.” Chanyeol practically begged.

 

“I don't know what it is.”

 

“Yixing…” Chanyeol sighed, defeat laced in his voice.

 

“Are you giving me permission?”

 

Chanyeol sighed almost helplessly and nodded. Lay closed his eyes and was silent for a moment. Not much time had passed before Lay shook his head and reopened his eyes. He gestured to the bed for Chanyeol to lie down, which he did. “Whatever it is, I can't read it. Something is blocking me from it.”

 

“If there's something you can do about that, do it.” Chanyeol ordered.

 

Lay nodded in understanding. “It'll hurt like a .”

 

“Do it.” Chanyeol nearly growled.

 

“Take your shirt off.”

 

Lay gathered some tools from a locked drawer in his desk as Chanyeol nearly ripped his shirt off and tossed it across the room. Lay set down a small jar of green stuff next to Chanyeol on the table next to the bed, along with some cotton balls, rope, a piece of cloth and a knife. Lay stood up locked the door and gave one last look of questioning to Chanyeol. Chanyeol nodded his head again and took a deep breath.

 

Lay began quickly tying Chanyeol's hands to the headboard. Chanyeol felt like they were too tight, but he ignored the discomfort so Lay could get this done faster. After Lay had decided they were tied correctly, he picked up the cloth and head held it near Chanyeol's mouth. When Chanyeol didn't get the hint Lay rolled his eyes. “Open your mouth.”

 

“What? I don't need that.”

 

“Fine, bite off your tongue.” Lay replied.

 

“Wait.”

 

Lay nodded and placed the cloth in Chanyeol's mouth. Chanyeol immediately bit down onto the thing, testing it. He really hoped he wouldn't bite down too hard.

 

Lay had taken some of whatever was in the jar and rubbed into his palm. There was dim green flown coming from his hand now and (though he'd never admit it out loud) the sight scared Chanyeol. Chanyeol turned his head towards the ceiling and closed his eyes. A few seconds later he felt something (he thought was guacamole, but really hoped it wasn't) touching his forehead, drawing something. At least that's what Chanyeol felt. He was just about to ask when Lay placed his hand on Chanyeol's chest. At first it was just cold and wet, but a couple of seconds later pain filled every bit of Chanyeol's body. He wanted to scream as loud as possible, but he couldn't do anything more than bite down.

 

Moments later it was like Chanyeol was no longer in his body. Wait, he wasn’t in his body. Upon looking around Chanyeol was standing next to the bed over his own body lying on the bed with Lay leaning over him, both completely unmoving. There was black goo all over his forehead in weird symbols and Lay’s hand was covered in the same weird black stuff. Upon closer inspection, it looked as though it were spreading up Lay’s arm. Chanyeol however, decided it’d hurt his head less if he didn’t think of it like that, or at all.

 

Chanyeol kept looking around. Everything in the medical room looked normal, except for the fact that he definitely wasn’t in his body anymore. Both he and Lay looked in pain, to a point where Chanyeol was actually frightened for his own safety. He’d never allowed Lay into his head before and he’d certainly never done this before. As a matter of fact, he wasn’t really sure what exactly this was, he knew for sure though, he didn’t like it.

 

He turned from the scene happening on the bed and towards the door to leave the room, but the second he placed his hand on the door handle his entire body was flung into a large black void. “This is where the block is. Whatever’s hidden in your head is behind that wall.”

 

Chanyeol sees Lay waving his hands around like a maniac. That black Chanyeol saw on his hands in the...other place, is on his hands here. There's something different about it here though. Chanyeol can see it moving up Lay’s arm and it looks like it's glowing. Chanyeol feels sick and he doesn't know. He wants out of this place. “Don't panic. You panic your subconscious is gonna kick us out of here before I can break this wall. Just try and relax.” Lay says, pushing his hands against nothing.

 

“Where are we? What are you doing? What is that? How did we get here? I don't-”

 

“Your head, I'm breaking a mental wall that has some serious magic attached to it, this is the wall, magical cream that I stole from my home when I joined your ship and I know you don't understand, just shut up and wait.”

 

Chanyeol nodded and turned away from Lay. He didn't see a wall, just darkness. Darkness all around him and it was making him feel as though he was being swallowed whole. Chanyeol wasn't entirely sure if he knew what Lay had said in its entirety, but he understood the part where they were in his head, everything else was just a sea of confusion.

 

Lay was growling while fighting the never ending darkness and Chanyeol was suddenly beginning to feel empty. It was painful and he wanted it to end. He couldn't focus on Lay’s words as he squeezed his eyes shut and put his hands against his head in an attempt to stop the burning pain filling his skull. With every second that passed by the pain in Chanyeol's head only got worse to the point where he was screaming. “Lay! Get it out, make it stop!” he yelled in hopes Lay could do something.

 

It only worsened and whatever Lay’s response was had been drowned out by Chanyeol's wailing. Chanyeol's fingers were digging into the side of his scalp and pulling at his hair as the pain built up to an intolerable level.

 

Suddenly, it was all clear. Chanyeol released a breath he didn't know he had been holding and opened his eyes. There was no longer darkness, but instead an almost overwhelming amount of light. The emptiness that was filling Chanyeol to the brim dissipated and was replaced with a calm, unlike any Chanyeol had ever felt before. Upon standing and looking around Chanyeol was inside a tavern he visited in Chansai on his very first trip across the ocean.

 

It was a special place to him, it had always been, however there was something different about it now. All the tables and chairs were empty and the bar counter was gone, replaced with a large beautiful painting of a blue flower. Chanyeol, never have been one to know botany, was unsure of the flower’s type. “This,” Lay started. “Is your mind's oasis? An old bar.”

 

Chanyeol simply smiled and looked up at the painting. He felt drawn to it in a way he couldn't explain. “I know what this is.” Lay said. “What's wrong with you.”

 

“What is it then?”

 

“Go, find out for yourself.”

 

Lay pointed towards the painting Chanyeol was already walking towards. He reached out and placed his hand gently as possible on the picture. The moment his hand was in contact Chanyeol fell forward, through the painting and into some water.

 

He panicked. Chanyeol swam to the surface as quickly as he could in fear of drowning. When his head broke the surface of the water, he felt a wave of relief wash over him. He looked around, shook his hair out of his face and began swimming towards the land he could see not to far away. Everything around this place was lush and green and when Chanyeol reached land he noticed there was a waterfall in the lake he came out of. What is this place? It's amazing. Am I still in my mind? How long have been here? How do I get out? What was the magic Lay spoke of? This is all too confusing. Chanyeol's thoughts were running wild in his head.

 

He knew one thing for certain; he wanted to remain here forever, but apparently that wasn't the plan. Chanyeol felt another weird pulling sensation bubbling in his chest, much similar to the one he felt with the painting. There was a gentle humming filling the air and Chanyeol could do nothing but follow it. He wandered through the thick jungle, completely unknowing of where he was or where he was going, towards the sweet humming. It wasn't long, at least it didn't feel like long, until Chanyeol reached a clearing, a meadow of sorts in the middle of this jungle. In the middle of this meadow there was a tree stump and upon this stump sat a person. Chanyeol could hear the person’s voice and it was familiar, but his back was turned this Chanyeol couldn't make out exactly who it was.

 

So, doing as any other fearless pirate would, Chanyeol approached the man upon the stump. When Chanyeol was only a few steps behind the man, the humming stopped. The man turned to Chanyeol and his eyes lit up in the most beautiful of ways. “Chanyeol.” Jongin said, wrapping his arms around Chanyeol’s neck.

 

“Wh-Where are we? What are you doing here?” Chanyeol questioned, confused by the entire situation.

 

Jongin didn't reply, but instead chose to smile brightly and leaned forward to give a quick kiss to Chanyeol's lips. Chanyeol was taken aback slightly, but for some reason it didn't feel that out place for him to be kissing Jongin, or this dream version of him that is. Jongin was looking up at Chanyeol almost expectantly and Chanyeol took to opportunity to place a hand at the small of his back and the other at the nape of his neck. He drew Jongin in for another kiss, this one longer and more passionate. Jongin's lips were soft and Chanyeol could only think of how amazing they felt and how much he hoped that this was all real.

 

Chanyeol pulled away first. He stared into Jongin's eyes, the other smiling with his arms still wrapped around Chanyeol, keeping him close as he could. “You're beautiful like this.” Chanyeol whispered. “I wish I could see more. I never want to leave your side.”

 

“Then don't.” Jongin replied. “You're mine and I'm yours, that is how it's supposed to be.”

 

“I don't understand…”

 

“We were born for each other. Our paths were always meant to cross. It’s like destiny, our love, fate I guess you could call it. Our souls are meant to be bonded as one.”

 

“But Mark… and Lay and Baekhyun both said I'm not meant for you, I'm not good for you, I'll end up hurting you, I-”

 

“None of that matters. It's up to you to decide our story.”

 

Chanyeol nodded in complete understanding. He wrapped his arms tighter around Jongin's frame and Jongin let his hands slip down to Chanyeol’s shoulders. They stood like that, hugging for a few moments more. “I love you.” Chanyeol said.

 

“Show me.” Jongin replied.

 

Before Chanyeol could react, he was suddenly whisked away from the calm and peacefulness that was that place, that was Jongin's arms.

 

His eyes flew open and he was drenched in sweat. He sat up as quick as lightning, his chest heaving and head pounding. Chanyeol threw a glance at Lay, who was already composed as ever. “Soulmates?” Chanyeol questioned, his breath still ragged.


Lay only smiled.

 

~~~

Author's Note: So this chapter wasn't very good. I'm sorry if it's confusing and doesn't make sense, but it's what I got right now. I've decided to update this story every Tuesday instead of all willy-nilly like I've been doing thus far (and yes, I know it's not Tuesday). Anyway, I hope this chapter isn't too horrible... I'll do better next chapter I promise. <3