Jongin: One Step Closer

Call to the Sea

Jongin was so suddenly ripped from his dream, ripped from Chanyeol, that it hurt. Jongin nearly screeched in pain from the feeling alone. 


It was Zico who had awoken him with a splash of freezing ocean water, a smile devilishly painted on the other’s face. Jongin was instantly frozen in fear, Zico was holding a sword directly in front of Jongin's throat, the icy tip touching his skin ever so slightly. Jongin swallowed and when he did he felt more of the blade touch him. Jongin wanted to speak, but fear kept his words constricted in his throat. 


Upon seeing the fear in Jongin's face Zico smiled. “Afraid little one?” he questioned. 


Jongin glared as fiercely as he could at the man holding a weapon to his throat. “What do I have to be afraid about?” 


Zico laughed out loud. “All I have to do is take one step forward and you'll be dead within seconds.” 


“And? Then I'll be dead, free.” 


Zico scoffed and lowered his weapon slightly. “Follow me without resistance and you may just be able to leave here alive.” 


Quicker than anyone Jongin had ever seen before, Zico whipped around, blade suddenly back in its sheath and began walking away. Jongin swallowed once and for all the fear he had built up inside of him and released the breath he'd been holding ever since Zico lowered his sword. 


Jongin didn't know what he was doing when he didn't it, he wasn't even trying really, it just...happened. “I think I may die today.” 


“What do you mean?” 


Jongin's head perked up quickly. It wasn't his thought, it wasn't even his voice. “Jongin, are you okay? Can you hear me?” 


Jongin looked around, when he suddenly realized what had happened. “Chanyeol?” 


“I'm here, are you okay?” 


Jongin sputtered. “H-how…?” his voices, or rather thought, trailed off. 


Jongin thought he could see Chanyeol's face all tense, worry laced on his every feature. “We're connected remember?” 


Jongin smiled, his dream wasn't a dream at all, this entire time Chanyeol has always been there, really there. Jongin felt nothing but warmth in his chest for the next few seconds, that is until he remembered his current situation. “I think they're going to kill me Chanyeol. Or at least hurt me. I don't know, but it's bad.” 


“You have to stay calm, okay? I will save you. Are you near any type of land?” 


Jongin hesitated for a split second, but that was all it took. The sound of footsteps, Zico's footsteps, were right outside the door again and Chanyeol's calming voice was gone. 


Jongin was alone again with no one but Zico around him. “Did you miss everything I said? Get up and let's go before I decide to start riding you of body parts.” 


Zico placed his hand on the hilt of his sword as he spoke. The look in his eyes told Jongin he was more serious than ever. Jongin swallowed around his fear for the nth time and stood up to follow Zico. 


*** 


Zico lead Jongin into the office where he was stabbed by Suho a couple days before and told him to sit down in the chair placed in the center of the room. Jongin hesitated for a couple of second, but Zico touched his back with the tip of his blade which urged Jongin to move faster. 


He sat down in the chair and almost immediately Zico was behind him tying a blindfold around his eyes. Jongin protested and questioned the action, but it was all fruitless, Zico quickly silenced Jongin with a snarl and a tug of his soft dark hair and continued until he was certain Jongin couldn't see. Zico grabbed Jongin's arms and began far too tightly tying a rough rope around his wrists. “He's ready!” Zico called out.


Jongin struggled to release his hands from the binds, he could feel the material digging into his skin, rubbing harshly against it. He immediately ceased his actions when he felt Zico's hands on his shoulders. “Move and I'll cut your hands off.” Zico whispered into Jongin's ear.


Seconds later Jongin could hear the sound of heavy footsteps entering the room along with a horrid dragging sound. 


A scent filled Jongin's nose then, it was familiar and amazing, but it was tinged with the scent of blood and no matter how hard Jongin tried, he couldn't place the sweet, soft, scent. “Tell me who is in the room and I'll will gift you your sight.” Suho said. 


Jongin swallowed. How in the hell am I supposed to know? He thought to himself, panicking over what would happen if he couldn't guess properly. He heard Zico chuckled behind him. That bastard needed to stay out Jongin's head. 


Jongin swallowed again and when he spoke his voice was weak and so clearly full of fear. “Z-Zico.” 


Suho hummed happily. “Y-you.” Jongin continued. 


Suho immediately snarled. “Who am I?” he growled. 


“S-Suho.” Jongin corrected. 


“Good, and who else?” 


Jongin hesitated, was there really another person in the room? He had heard nothing more than Suho's footsteps, something being dragged and Zico's disgusting voice. “There’s not anyone else.” Jongin said very matter of factly. 


Suho hummed. He sounded pleased at least and Jongin was willing to find some form of comfort in that. 


There was a small (absolutely terrifying) moment of silence in the room. The silence was suddenly filled with dragging and heavy footsteps once again and Jongin swore he heard the sound of someone else's breaths. Jongin shook his head and brushed the sound off as probably just his imagination. 


*** 


Jongin was led back to the small room he'd been staying in the past couple of days and he was left alone. The blindfold was removed some amount of time later by Youngjae, who looked into Jongin's eyes, a smile on his delicate face. 


Youngjae looked away from Jongin then and began tending to the bright red burns on his wrists. “I know.” Youngjae said suddenly. 


Jongin looked down at him quickly and stuttered, fearful of what Youngjae was talking about. Youngjae looked up at Jongin again, deep into his eyes. “You’re soulmates with Park Chanyeol.” 


Jongin cast his gaze to the ground and Youngjae sighed in defeat. “I have to tell Suho.” Youngjae whispered. 


“He’ll hurt me to hurt Chanyeol. You can't, please.” Jongin begged. 


“He's my captain, I can't hide this from him.” 


Jongin had to fight urge to burst into tears right then and there. He inhaled deeply, looking away from Youngjae once again. 


Before either of them had a chance to say anything Suho was bursting to the room. “Youngjae, tell me his injuries are tended to and we can dock soon-”


“We're docking?” Jongin interrupted before he could stop himself. 


Suho looked to him, completely astounded at how quick Jongin was to interrupt him. Suho, for a moment was prepared to slap the younger across his beautiful face for being so rude in his presence, when something struck him. He was becoming less fearful, more brave. Instead of anger, Suho felt some odd sort of pride inside him. He scoffed and entered the room, taking long strides in Jongin's direction. 


Jongin immediately regretted every word that left his mouth in the past five minutes. Fear was slowly, but surely brewing inside him now and there was little he could do to stop it, especially when Suho was standing right in front of him. “Look up at me little bird.” Suho he said in a sweet sing-song voice. 


Jongin, almost completely out of fear, looked up. Suho was smiling down on him like a proud father to his son. It worried Jongin. “We are indeed docking. We’re in need of supplies. My men need and ale, I can’t deprive them of that.” 


“A-am I allowed to leave?” Jongin said in a shaky, quiet voice. 


Suho simply beamed down at Jongin, his absolute adorableness was making Suho feel almost weak at the knees. So lost in his thoughts Suho nearly forgot about the man staring up at him, sitting and waiting patiently on the bed. Suho hummed as he ran a finger across Jongin's cheekbone. “P-please.” Jongin said, nearly whimpered. 


Suho’s smiled wider, sweeter down at Jongin. “I suppose I could assign Youngjae to watch over you while he gathers medical supplies from the market.”


Suho looked into Jongin's eyes as he finished his sentence. Jongin dared a small smile. Suho was then, weak at the knees. Instead of falling any further for the younger he whipped around to face Youngjae. “You will watch over him won't you?” 


Youngjae nodded quickly and Suho smiled at him, clearly pleased with everything that was happening. “Perfect. Absolutely perfect.” 


***


Youngjae brought back some beautiful, fancy looking black pants and a loose and puffy white shirt. “Suho requested you change. There's too much dirt and...stuff on your clothes.” 


“You mean blood.” Jongin corrected. “You mean there's dirt and blood on my clothes. From when Suho stabbed me, or maybe from when I was attacked by one of the crew members and Suho cut off his hand and then his head.”


Youngjae looked away, embarrassed and uncomfortable by Jongin’s words. He didn’t want to talk about this subject, this much was clear. Youngjae wasn’t willing to face the fact that Suho wasn’t the sweet and kind person that he had shown, he was deranged and angry and that is exactly what Jongin wanted him to see. 


“It's not like Chanyeol is any better.” Youngjae said. 


Jongin scoffed. “Did Suho tell you that? He's a liar Youngjae, he'll say anything to get you to believe him, to trust him.” 


“Did Chanyeol tell you that?” Youngjae replied. 


This time Jongin was the one who looked away. The two stood in silence, neither one knowing what to say. Youngjae moved first, setting the now folded clothes on the table next to the bed. He whispered ‘change’ and quickly darted out the room. 


***


When Jongin had finished changing he looked at himself in the dirty, partially cracked mirror that was leaning against the ground. The pants were slim fitting, they hugged his legs in a way that made them look even more long than they already were. The shirt, was loose enough that Jongin didn't mind, but it was low enough that it perfectly exposed his collar bones and the upper half of his chest, that part made him slightly uncomfortable. 


Nevertheless, Jongin took a deep breath and exited the room as quickly and quietly as he could. He walked all the way to the main deck, where more than a few of the crew members on board still tending to the ship, looked up and whistled. “Quiet!” 


Jongin whipped around to see Suho standing right at the door of his cabin. He looked almost furious as he gazed around the crew of the ship. Everyone went completely silent. “I told you, none of you are to even look at our guest! I see anyone doing this again, I will personally end your life. Are we all clear?” 


Everyone in unison all replied “yes captain” and continued with their work, not sparing even a single glance at Jongin. 


Suho smiled at the change and walked over to Jongin, his arms open wide. “My pet,” he sang, “so beautiful…” 


Suho placed his hands on Jongin's shoulders and stared at him for a moment before he took a step back. Jongin couldn't decipher what the look that was in Suho's eyes was even if he wanted to. “Youngjae is waiting for you, I will let you go now.” 


Suho gestured to the stairs that led off the ship and smiled. Jongin took another deep breath and stepped forward, ready to begin his plan for freedom.